Author Topic: Favorite Fruit?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Favorite Fruit?
« on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 20:59:35 »
What is your favorite fruit, and why?

I'm a big guava fan. Like a perfect cross between strawberry and watermelon, and super good for you. One of the highest amounts of vitamin A & C, tons of antioxidants, and bar none the highest concentration of lycopene in any raw food.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Favorite Fruit?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 21:11:02 »
Watermelon = Watermelon

Because, Watermelon

Contains the most amount of Watermelon.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 21:30:56 »
Any perfectly ripe fruit is better than any fruit before or after its peak.

My go-to is grapefruit for breakfast but in-season blackberries and raspberries are exquisite, as is that mid-summer peach that is so just right.

Melons, especially home-grown cantaloupe and watermelon are wonderful, but only at their "just right" moment.

That exotic mango is very hard for me to find, here so far from its natural habitat, in a proper state of ripeness but without that awful stringy stuff ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 18:21:54 »
yellow dragon fruits are amazing and have been fairly affordable these days ($3-4/lb around my parts). otherwise just some really good apples, oranges, or grapes. delicious fruit doesn't have to be super expensive or exotic in my eyes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 18:57:58 »
yellow dragon fruits are amazing

I have heard this before, got to try the yellow ones. The regular pink ones literally taste of nothing, no flavor at all whatsoever.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 20:35:02 »
Watermelon = Watermelon

Because, Watermelon

Contains the most amount of Watermelon.

Watermelon is probably my favourite. Oranges are also a top contender as well.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 03:49:25 »
Absolutely love pineapple, and pineapple juice is my favourite juice as well. But pineapple is such a hassle to prepare, and even if you buy fresh pineapple, it's so acidic that it really makes my teeth hurt after just a few small bits.

Therefore my go-to is banana. Only problem with that is that you need to buy it a week in advance and it's only good for one, possibly two days. And you have to buy them in bunches >.> .

If fruit weren't so painful on the teeth or so much hassle, I'd probably eat a lot more of it.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:48:11 »

fresh pineapple, it's so acidic that it really makes my teeth hurt after just a few small bits.

I never used to have that problem, but last year I bought a pineapple that was perfectly ripe and delicious, and it felt like it had turned my mouth inside-out.

For the next few days I took a couple of tentative bites, but simply couldn't do it. Haven't touched pineapple since.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 11:27:04 »

fresh pineapple, it's so acidic that it really makes my teeth hurt after just a few small bits.

I never used to have that problem, but last year I bought a pineapple that was perfectly ripe and delicious, and it felt like it had turned my mouth inside-out.

For the next few days I took a couple of tentative bites, but simply couldn't do it. Haven't touched pineapple since.
There's two components to this, the acidity, and bromelain.

My teeth are very sensitive because I gnash my teeth during my sleep. I use a bit nowadays to prevent it from getting worse, but it's left my teeth vulnerable to acidic things. Too much sourness, and my teeth hurt for days. Pineapple is acidic, but then again most fruit is, so this is not unique to pineapple.

What IS somewhat unique to pineapple as a fruit is an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down tissue. This is why, if you eat a lot of pineapple, it feels like your tongue and/or the roof of your mouth has been eaten away - because it has. I guess this is what you're referring to?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 11:38:29 »
Nectarine

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 11:58:02 »

an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down tissue.

I guess this is what you're referring to?

Pretty sure that is exactly what I am referring to. Maybe my inside mouth tissue is getting weak?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 March 2024, 10:55:54 by fohat.digs »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 17:40:05 »
yellow dragon fruits are amazing

I have heard this before, got to try the yellow ones. The regular pink ones literally taste of nothing, no flavor at all whatsoever.

the regular ones and even the red fleshed ones are honestly kinda ass/mid. you'll be really pleasantly surprised by the yellow ones, they're consistently sweet and easily worth your money. we get lots of fruit variety in the summer, fall in california but the winter doesn't offer much variety or quality, so it's nice to have something sweet and actually good to eat during the wintertime. albeit slightly expensive I think spending a few bucks extra on fruit is probably better than me going out to buy some ice cream or pastries (still do that regularly though  :-\)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 19:26:26 »
Do berries count as "fruit"?

My favourites are European blueberries — Vaccinium myrtillus. (What heathens and infidels call "bilberries")

Nobody has yet found a way to cultivate them successfully, but they do grow wild and are more or less abundant where I live for at least a month in summer.
I find them best raw. I like to eat them in milk without any sugar. Also good frozen and thawed, but like every fruit then they are more mushy and don't taste fresh.

They are smaller, and have more colourful, tastier and nutritious flesh than the cultivated American blueberry.
The European variety was of course called "Blueberry" first. The American variety was named "Blueberry" because it resembles its European cousin.
I think it should be illegal to market American blueberries as "Blueberries" in Europe, which is something I do see happen too often because of the name confusion caused by American influence. It should also be illegal to add American blueberry flavour to blueberry products — because that tastes nothing like the real thing.

BTW. A close relative to the European variety does actually grow wild in parts of North America, but not many people know about it. I assume that because it can't be cultivated, it is very rarely seen for sale, especially outside the far north.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2024, 19:47:00 by Findecanor »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 02:50:07 »
Do berries count as "fruit"?

My favourites are European blueberries — Vaccinium myrtillus. (What heathens and infidels call "bilberries")

Nobody has yet found a way to cultivate them successfully, but they do grow wild and are more or less abundant where I live for at least a month in summer.
I find them best raw. I like to eat them in milk without any sugar. Also good frozen and thawed, but like every fruit then they are more mushy and don't taste fresh.

They are smaller, and have more colourful, tastier and nutritious flesh than the cultivated American blueberry.
The European variety was of course called "Blueberry" first. The American variety was named "Blueberry" because it resembles its European cousin.
I think it should be illegal to market American blueberries as "Blueberries" in Europe, which is something I do see happen too often because of the name confusion caused by American influence. It should also be illegal to add American blueberry flavour to blueberry products — because that tastes nothing like the real thing.

BTW. A close relative to the European variety does actually grow wild in parts of North America, but not many people know about it. I assume that because it can't be cultivated, it is very rarely seen for sale, especially outside the far north.
Interesting, I didn't know any of this. Maybe I've never had an actual blueberry before.

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 06:31:03 »
Rambutan
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 19:55:56 »
Definitely watermelon.

[ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2024, 19:58:15 by sarahn27 »