Author Topic: Does anyone buy silver?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Does anyone buy silver?
« on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 11:51:33 »
Just wondering if anyone else has been (or thinking about) buying silver lately.. Spot prices for silver are something like 14.50 an ounce, but I haven't been able to find anywhere you can actually buy silver for that price.

I picked up a few silver eagles for $19 each tho.  At least there is no sales tax on buying money in MO.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Does anyone buy silver?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 12:15:44 »
I invested in gold a while back. My toof crumbled and I went with Au. Now my mouth is much more rich than it was when I first got it.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 12:32:18 »
Golden teeth ftw!  Better than mercury teeth

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 11:51:13 »
Silver is about 20x more abundant than gold in the planet.

Down through history, the relationship in prices was in roughly that ratio.

In recent years, since the early-1980s precious metals insanity, gold prices have skyrocketed while silver has not followed at nearly the same rate.

So, yes, at 1/50th the price of gold, silver is a bargain.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 12:26:02 »
I want gold. I guess silver is ok but I'm about those gold bars.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 15:51:18 »
S'all 'bout dat platinum CPT.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 16:03:57 »
I buy silver coins from work

Offline telnet

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:41:04 »
This was two years ago when I was into trading silver.
Pen for scale.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:15:11 »
Pen for scale.

Show Image

That's cool, but what do you do with a $1500-2000 bar of silver? Not many day-to-day purchases at that amount. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:46:31 »
Pen for scale.

Show Image

That's cool, but what do you do with a $1500-2000 bar of silver? Not many day-to-day purchases at that amount. :)

Keep it in a sock next to a safe near your bed. You think soap hurts? Try bar of silver in a sock. And then you can sell it for moneys. It's genius really.

Offline telnet

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 18:58:08 »
Pen for scale.

Show Image

Think of it this way, GH and artisian caps, such as clacks, are mainly well know by keyboard enthusiasts.  Regular people have no idea GH exists, nor would they understand why a person would buy a clack $500+.

Similar is with physical bullion, if you're in the know, you know traders and where the physical bullion exchanges are.
Such a bar is nothing special at those places. 

I bought the physical bars mainly for fun, stuck it in the bank, waited for the price to go up, then sold it. 

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 19:10:44 »
Nice bars!  I just have a few 1 oz silver eagles myself..

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 20:20:19 »
Pen for scale.

Show Image

Think of it this way, GH and artisian caps, such as clacks, are mainly well know by keyboard enthusiasts.  Regular people have no idea GH exists, nor would they understand why a person would buy a clack $500+.

Similar is with physical bullion, if you're in the know, you know traders and where the physical bullion exchanges are.
Such a bar is nothing special at those places. 

I bought the physical bars mainly for fun, stuck it in the bank, waited for the price to go up, then sold it.

Except that precious metals are inherently valuable and artisans have artistic value.

A regular person I'd assume would understand that a bar of gold is worth quite a bit.

Anyway still cool

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 21:04:29 »
why would you guys bother... they got the digital version..  boom.. you're rich.. boom you're poor..

Save you the gas money of running around.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 21:19:14 »
why would you guys bother... they got the digital version..  boom.. you're rich.. boom you're poor..

Except that precious metals will always be valuable in almost any society.

For thousands of years humans have been obsessed with shiny metal.

It's very unlikely that we'll suddenly stop valuing it.

Unless of course you mean gambling in which case that's not really an investment.

Offline Dr. Drats

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 21:19:36 »
I actually just got 10 1oz silver maple leafs today. 17 a piece.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:26:14 »
I like my silver with more of a theme to it...

Working my way through a type set of Veiled Head (1893-1901) coinage. Just need the two larger gold pieces and the Maundy coinage... so in other words, anyone wanna buy a Kia?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:33:08 »
A few years ago we would buy silver dollas from the mint. Over $100 was free shipping, charge to card, no fee. Collect the miles/points; deposit coins to pay card bill. Could manufacture around ~3k points per month without raising eyebrows.

Went on vacation for several years totally free on those points!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline telnet

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 22:41:21 »

Very true, but in my case some of the mining offices, one of the bullion exchanges, and my bank were all within a 15 minute walk.
I would go there to stretch my legs and grab a coffee on the way back to the office.

Also the bars make for great paper weights.  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 13:39:45 »

Except that precious metals will always be valuable in almost any society.

For thousands of years humans have been obsessed with shiny metal.

It's very unlikely that we'll suddenly stop valuing it.

Unless of course you mean gambling in which case that's not really an investment.

Well, you're right that people value gold and silver metals.. but it is very possible that we could suddenly stop valuing it,  because it's actually in abundance on earth..

The reason they're valued at all is because RICH PEOPLE SAYS SO....  the people who closely influence the money supply..

SO the entire concept of PRECIOUS is actually the product of governance rather than an inherent property of said material.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:33:49 »
There is a mexican millionaire that has been promoting silver as a more secure way to store money that fiat currencies. He sells coins in his bank but I've been distracted in other stuff to research if it's indeed a more secure and/or better way to store money. I've been saving in dollars since some years and with the recent increase in exchange rates I have about 20% more these days. I'm still wondering when I should sell them.

Offline telnet

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:48:45 »
There is a mexican millionaire that has been promoting silver as a more secure way to store money that fiat currencies. He sells coins in his bank but I've been distracted in other stuff to research if it's indeed a more secure and/or better way to store money. I've been saving in dollars since some years and with the recent increase in exchange rates I have about 20% more these days. I'm still wondering when I should sell them.

That mainly makes sense in a global context where you don't have a stable currency. 
If you earn and spend your money locally then you have to consider the price of silver and the buying power it has against your local currency.
Just look at a 10 year silver chart, it's not flat, it changes based on the market.  http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/ag3650nyb.html

The question of when to sell is one that all traders ask themselves.  There is no perfect time to sell, you never know what will happen.