Author Topic: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion  (Read 118434 times)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:10:59 »
New HM Mirra 2. Not sure when it came out but I just saw it on smartfurniture. That all white looks sexy. Too bad it's not available.

http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Mirra-2-Chair.html
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:38:07 »
This British guy, Simon Freedman, had a kickstarter ergonomic chair project a few months back, and now has up a site taking a few more pre-orders at a price that’s higher than the kickstarter price but much lower than his planned retail price.

The chair looks cool, if nothing else. It seems to have won some design awards, but since they aren’t available yet, there aren’t really any good reviews of what it feels like to sit in.

They apparently plan to ship them out in June.

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:41:15 by jacobolus »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 02:45:12 »
looks like a bar stool with lumbar support, should i read more about it or am i wrong?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:22:23 »
Interesting. Supposedly the chair allows your body to keep a position as if you were standing up. I would love to try this chair, as I find that standing up relieves my lower back pain.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 09:23:01 »
anyone have this headrest for the aeron ?

http://www.amazon.com/VendorGear-Headrest-Herman-Miller-Aeron/dp/B005L9ATK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360247853&sr=8-1&keywords=aeron+chair+headrest

pretty good reviews ... is it good ergonomically though ?

I have one of those. Most of the time I don't actually interact with it unless I lean way back. And that's when I'm really, really glad I have it. It is necessary to tighten its bolts or it will move. Once I did that it has been perfect except for the mismatch between its fabric and my chair's.

Two thumbs up.

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 09:46:13 »
I'm currently sitting on a Herman Miller Aeron.

When my last (relatively inexpensive) chair gave out I haunted the local office supply stores looking for a decent replacement. There were none to be found. Only after exhausting the search for an inexpensive ergonomically sound chair did I start looking at the ergo chairs. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time at local dealers trying out the SteelCase and Herman Miller chairs.

I ruled out the SteelCase because of their decision to keep the seat pan level as you reclined. As I sat in those chairs it seemed though they encouraged me to slouch. Otherwise, they were quite impressive.

So I eventually settled on the Herman Miller Embody. And I really, REALLY liked it except for one itty, bitty problem: After sitting in it for hours, it felt like there was some sort of strap in the seat that was hitting my legs just wrong, to the point where it was painful. The dealer, after consulting directly with Herman Miller, thought it might have been a defective chair and sent me a replacement. It turned out that it was just how that design affected me. So I had to send them both back.

The Aeron, on the other hand, has been excellent and comfortable. I ordered the one sized to fit me (size C) and it has proven to be an excellent chair. I wish the front edge curved down more so that its support was only from fabric, and I'm not so happy with how the arms adjust. I also added a head rest to it. But this one is a keeper.

Still, if it hadn't been for its impact on my legs, I would have kept the Embody. It's full back support and movement is fabulous. And I much prefer its armrest design.

IMHO, this kind of situation is why its important to work with local dealers. Being able to arrange showroom tests, longer term in office tests, and returns is a big advantage of local dealers, making the extra expense worthwhile.

I'm curious, did anyone else experience the problem I had with the Embody?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 22:53:31 »
Bought a used Aeron for 2 bills today and I'm completely satisfied :)

Offline hoggy

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 13:45:42 »
Just to be transparent, there's a poll that will decide if this thread (& the ergodox pointer) will be unstickied.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55524.0
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 17:00:43 »
Interesting thread. I need a new chair badly.

Tired of the clanky plastic chairs. I use one from Office Depot. And after 3 years its rickidy as hell. Unsure if I should go full back or half back. I don't lean back that often but i'm 6'3 and after 34 years I have crazy lower back pain.

Those desk attachable wrist rests look neat. 

Any suggestions?

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 10:13:54 »
What about Balt, Raynor, or Hon as good mid priced ergo chairs?  Anyone know anything about them?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 00:42:39 »
I bought a used Steelcase Leap chair about a year and a half ago and right off I liked the feel and adjustability of it but I wasn't to crazy about the armrests. They felt like stiff rubber. That would be fine if I was an asphalt road but a little hard on my bony forearms. I rebuilt them with some faux black leather and a lot of padding. I made them wider as well.

While I was at it, I tuned up the arm adjustments, which were a bit sloppy, by shimming up a few spots and tightening a few screws. If anyone tries this you might want to avoid removing the plastic around the armrest column. It is quite difficult to get back on and there are simpler ways to tighten up the column. I don't know if it's normal for the arms to be as loose as mine were or if someone had used mine as a pommel horse but since the tune-up it has remained solid.

The first picture shows the original arm pad next to the replacement.   
64983-0  64985-1

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 03:00:47 »
I bought a used Steelcase Leap chair about a year and a half ago and right off I liked the feel and adjustability of it but I wasn't to crazy about the armrests. They felt like stiff rubber. That would be fine if I was an asphalt road but a little hard on my bony forearms. I rebuilt them with some faux black leather and a lot of padding. I made them wider as well.

While I was at it, I tuned up the arm adjustments, which were a bit sloppy, by shimming up a few spots and tightening a few screws. If anyone tries this you might want to avoid removing the plastic around the armrest column. It is quite difficult to get back on and there are simpler ways to tighten up the column. I don't know if it's normal for the arms to be as loose as mine were or if someone had used mine as a pommel horse but since the tune-up it has remained solid.

The first picture shows the original arm pad next to the replacement.   
(Attachment Link)   (Attachment Link)

Whoa! Tell us more about that awesome wooden EDox/Trackball combo tray...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 07:01:43 »
Oh, missed that one... Thanks!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 07:59:14 »
2 weeks ago i just had one of my ergohuman wheels crack, then i was like, eh, 4/5 wheels, still sorta works, then i guess it was uneven weight distribution and bamm second wheel cracks, i'm only 190, so it's not due to fat, basically chair has work hours and i've had it for 9 years? so i goto the website an di can buy 1 wheel for 10bucks or 5 wheels for 40bucks, guess i now have extra wheels for the next time.

btw, i'm not mad, after 9 years if it's just 2 wheels that broke (and admittedly if i ordered the replacement wheel fast enough it would have only been 1 broken wheel) after almost 10 years, it's good enough imo, but my old aeron chair probably wouldn't break for anything.

Offline gcb

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 03:53:45 »
> everyone praising PostureFit

you just bought a chair with no back support at all, and then added back support :/

only have aerons at work. it feels like siting on a sofa. a very comfortable sofa. I'm very sad that herman miller does not have an aeron 3-seater for the living room now that i think of it.

for non-adjustable-arm models, i'm happier at home with an Ikea that cost me less than $100. it is the tall one that is not the markus. don't recall the name now. granted it is not as comfy as the aeron if you sit for 8hours straight, but anyone sane would rarely do that....

Offline gcb

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 04:03:39 »
oh, and my last task chair... wife had to use the office for several days in a row, so when i worked from home i used the spare desk in the other room, that lacks a chair... so yoga exercise ball it was! ...still better back support than an aeron :D

anyway, jokes aside... one thing i'm finding odd in this thread.. everyone talks about something being ergonomic or not... that does not mean much. specially for mass produced goods. I still remember a little from my ergometry classes at the uni, but if you are NOT measuring your body and then finding a chair that fits it, it will never be ergo anything. anyone here breaking out a grand or more on a chair and then loving it without ever taking out a measurement tape... is just convincing themselves that the chair is good because it was expensive. or extremely lucky.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 07:36:33 »

anyway, jokes aside... one thing i'm finding odd in this thread.. everyone talks about something being ergonomic or not... that does not mean much. specially for mass produced goods. I still remember a little from my ergometry classes at the uni, but if you are NOT measuring your body and then finding a chair that fits it, it will never be ergo anything. anyone here breaking out a grand or more on a chair and then loving it without ever taking out a measurement tape... is just convincing themselves that the chair is good because it was expensive. or extremely lucky.

I agree with you to a point. I do think that the adjustability of many ergo products make them adaptable for different body types and sizes. Also, superior padding and better thought out support are often part of the package.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 09:54:25 »

I agree with you to a point. I do think that the adjustability of many ergo products make them adaptable for different body types and sizes. Also, superior padding and better thought out support are often part of the package.

I have formed the belief that   the closer you get to a lying down position, the more ergonomic...

I wake up each morning.. my back fresh.... shoulders loose..   then I sit on my-puter for 18 hours, and boom... back pain and sometimes rigid shoulders. 

Offline gcb

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 17:00:55 »

I have formed the belief that   the closer you get to a lying down position, the more ergonomic...

I wake up each morning.. my back fresh.... shoulders loose..   then I sit on my-puter for 18 hours, and boom... back pain and sometimes rigid shoulders. 
Show Image

well, when laying down you are not trying to reach anything... the issues with pain is when you hold your tendons/muscles extended/contracted in a unnatural position for too long.

if you just sit down in a comfortable position, and MOVE YOUR STUFF to that position, INSTEAD of raising your arm much more or reaching for a mouse too far from that comfortable position, then you will not have too much pain.

sorry if you already know all that. i'm just arriving here and not really sure how much you guys know of anthropometry and ergo. so i'm probably coming out as a smart ass :)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:19:41 »
I have not gotten the PostureFit, but I may get it someday. 

What I did do was get some memory/get foam seat cushions from Costco for $20 each, they sell elsewhere for $30-35. 2 for my truck and one for my Aeron. People that have sat on them have had me buy more seat cushions for them.

Winplus seat cushion

Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline James35

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 03:02:47 »
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but BodyBilt (now owned by ErgoGenesis) makes the best chairs I've found.  They aren't cheap, usually $1100+.  My wife and I have used these chairs for over a dozen years and they have paid for themselves many times over because I can simply work much longer in them than any other chair.

One of the things not seen in the pictures is the chair pivots at the knees and actually tilts forward when you get out of it.  You adjust the spring to your body weight.  So when you sit, it feels like you are on a combination of rocking chair that is floating on a spring.  It's great because throughout the day, it moves weight around to different parts of your body a little bit. This extends the comfort time even longer than locking a chair in one position.

They own a patent on the swing arms which is awesome.  You sit down, then you can swing the arms in towards your sides. It's not just twisting them toward you, it's a double pivot arm that lets you slide the entire arm in or out.  Really nice.

It looks like over the recent years they offer a new way of doing it. 

I don't know of any chair company that offers more customizable options and functionality than BodyBilt. Even the curves of your butt cheeks can be customized for your liking.  :)

Gotta warn you, they weigh a ton.  Deceivingly heavy. I would guess 100 lbs. I had to buy some extra thick 0.25" chair mats, as the normal "heavy duty" mats weren't cutting it (over carpet).
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 June 2014, 03:17:23 by James35 »

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 05:42:00 »
I'm really curious how that capisco works out, especially the taller sitting posture or "backwards" facing on the chair.

I'm really liking the Capisco, and will sell my Aeron chair. The Aeron was comfortable, but I still often ended up sitting with the wrong posture. The Capisco somehow stops me doing that. I guess it's because of the saddle seat. I haven't used it much with the back facing me, so cant comment yet on how comfortable that is.
Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 13:26:21 »
I have formed the belief that the closer you get to a lying down position, the more ergonomic...

Could be right...
Since I use that recliner I got no more back-pain :)

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 15:01:11 »
I sorta had issues with my Aeron.

So I ended up selling it recently and getting a Steelcase Leap, which I like a lot better in every respect. My video review:

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:13:40 »
I have a Body Bilt.  Got in from the used office furniture store for $400 in like new, retail was over $1000 at least.

Then I got on Craigslist and saw that they had found it there for $75.  I probably could have negotiated them down.  But whatever, it's in the past.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:13:56 »
Okay, I'm doing it. Going for a V2 Leap. My budget tops out at $600 and that's worse case scenario.

Hopefully something turns up locally (sfbay has a ton of these things but I'm sort of worried about condition)

Anyone have any recommendation for retailers? Madison seating has 'em for 5-something shipped which I thought was pretty solid. Listed as "open box"
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:15:51 by jwaz »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 16:20:55 »
There are plenty of good deals on craigslist. Go with the private sellers and not the stores to save money. I would only spend around $300 for a Leap V2, maybe $350 in really good condition. There's so many good chairs in the Bay Area that there's no need to overspend, deals pop up all the time.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 17:12:48 »
There are plenty of good deals on craigslist. Go with the private sellers and not the stores to save money. I would only spend around $300 for a Leap V2, maybe $350 in really good condition. There's so many good chairs in the Bay Area that there's no need to overspend, deals pop up all the time.

Getting one delivered tomorrow for $340 to my door. Black on black in pretty much new condition, but we'll see.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:37:20 »
So, we were test driving some office chairs in Staples of all places the other day and we came across this little gem.

http://www.thehumansolution.com/raynor-nefil-mesh-chair.html

Very comfy and breathes very well.  Runs for about 500 at Staples.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 23:26:58 »
I've only just realised that my entire office is kitted out with HM Mirras.

Like 3,000 of them.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sniping

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 03:24:27 »

Getting one delivered tomorrow for $340 to my door. Black on black in pretty much new condition, but we'll see.

Did your leap come yet?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 03:09:56 »
So, we were test driving some office chairs in Staples of all places the other day and we came across this little gem.

go google ergohuman

that's the ergo chair i have and it's made by raynor.

as far as my info for years ago, raynor, makes models for staples, and keeps the ergohuman online. of course my ergohuman model is like 6 years old, this model seems new with nice tech.

and my chair is still going strong. yes i recently had to replace the wheels after 6 years (or more?) i'm not going to complain about 50$ wheels (for a set of 5) on a 500$ 6 year old chair.

yea one of the switches broke off, surprisingly gorilla glue keeps a strong hold for 1 year, just have to re-apply every year. (once you adjust to your body, you won't really have to touch anything ever tho)

also if you futz with the head rest (you should get the head rest attachment) b/c of the way the bolt/washer attaches to the chair it will come apart if you re-adjust the position a few times a month, i've had to crawl on my knees and hope that my dog didn't swallow it.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:28:14 »

go google ergohuman

that's the ergo chair i have and it's made by raynor.

as far as my info for years ago, raynor, makes models for staples, and keeps the ergohuman online. of course my ergohuman model is like 6 years old, this model seems new with nice tech.

and my chair is still going strong. yes i recently had to replace the wheels after 6 years (or more?) i'm not going to complain about 50$ wheels (for a set of 5) on a 500$ 6 year old chair.

yea one of the switches broke off, surprisingly gorilla glue keeps a strong hold for 1 year, just have to re-apply every year. (once you adjust to your body, you won't really have to touch anything ever tho)

also if you futz with the head rest (you should get the head rest attachment) b/c of the way the bolt/washer attaches to the chair it will come apart if you re-adjust the position a few times a month, i've had to crawl on my knees and hope that my dog didn't swallow it.

I dunno, without the ability to try out the chair in store, I'm a little skittish.  The Nefil was super nice.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:46:22 »
oh yea i'm not recommending the ergohuman over the nefil, in fact i think the nefil is the next step up, just illustrating my years long experience with a raynor product. but head rest, you should get.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:57:40 »
Fair enough.

Offline ijprest

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:44:09 »
I can recommend the Steelcase Leap... v1 at least (haven't tried v2). 

I've had one at the office for ~12 years, and picked up a used one for home (~1 year, now).  I've found that I can sit on these all day (which all too often is >12 hours) and not get tired/sore.  That hasn't been the case with other chairs I've used.

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:49:11 »
Blow up rubber balls are where it's at.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:08:07 »

Did your leap come yet?

Yeah! I'm sitting in it right now and so far I'm a fan. It's definitely more comfortable than my Aeron at work.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:14:26 »
Just got a Capisco chair a week or two ago, and just set up a variable height desk a couple days ago, and I’m really digging it so far. (The variable height on everything is nice because my GF is 5'3", and I’m 6'2", and the setup now works for either of us, either sitting or standing.)

The Capisco is nice in both forward and reverse orientations, with a nice saddle-style shape that lets me keep my back straight, and a choice of either back support or a little arm-rest in front. (I haven’t tried sitting sideways on it much yet.) The arm rest is pretty good for typing, at least in short stretches (not sure it would be so great for 6 hours at a stretch), and the setup overall encourages frequent changes of position.

The chair allows quite a bit of body movement compared to a standard chair, but is still pretty comfy and pretty solid feeling.

The Capisco is pretty pricey, and not as easily available second-hand as chairs like the Leap or Aeron, because they’re a bit more of a niche product. But I think it’ll be worth it if it stays comfortable for a few years. (We’ll see.)

By the way, anyone near Portland or San Francisco should really drop by Ergodepot, an ergonomic chair/desk/etc. distributor with showrooms in both cities. They’ll let you bring your laptop and work out of their showroom for a few hours, so you can give the chairs an extended tryout, and their prices are as good as any US distributors of a number of different niche (mostly northern European) ergonomic chairs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:17:40 by jacobolus »

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:01:25 »
Ive had the aeron chair for about 2 years ... over the last few months Ive been having lower back pain and it seems to get worse when I sit in the chair

If Im doing anything else it really doesnt bother me much

but during and after sitting in my aeron with the posturefit my lower back definitely feels worse to the point where I feel the chair is causing it

Im not complaining cause its a very nice chair but Im wondering what my options are

should I look into a new chair ?

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:20:11 »
I ordered my chair with the PostureFit because I thought it would be important to have the flexibility to adjust it to fit me. It turned out that the proper adjustment was to remove it completely. You might want to give that a try.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:00:26 »
I ordered my chair with the PostureFit because I thought it would be important to have the flexibility to adjust it to fit me. It turned out that the proper adjustment was to remove it completely. You might want to give that a try.

thanks it definitely seems to help a little bit but not to the point where Im satisfied but for now its an improvment

still wondering if theres another chair out there that might work better for me

anyone have any suggestions ? My budget isnt a huge deal and I have someone I could sell my aeron to so it wont be wasted money

how are the steelcase chairs ? Any of the other herman miller chairs that support the lower back in different ways than the aeron ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:02:28 by LifeIsGooD2 »

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:08:46 »
You poor bastards and your archaic torture devices known as chairs...

Stop sitting and start lying down. There is no way to simultaneously remain upright, relax your back muscles, and not compress your spine except for this:

You must unlearn what you have learned.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 21:31:36 »

thanks it definitely seems to help a little bit but not to the point where Im satisfied but for now its an improvment

still wondering if theres another chair out there that might work better for me

anyone have any suggestions ? My budget isnt a huge deal and I have someone I could sell my aeron to so it wont be wasted money

how are the steelcase chairs ? Any of the other herman miller chairs that support the lower back in different ways than the aeron ?

I have been using a Steelcase Leap for a few years and really like everything about it except the stock armrest pads which I have since modified.
 Because ergo chairs have so many adjustments, it can take time to find which settings are best for you. If you are currently suffering from an injury or chronic condition it can be even more difficult to determine the best settings because even the right adjustments can still be uncomfortable when in that condition. If you were happy and comfortable with the Aeron before, you may try a different setting for a while. The pain may run its course and you may later wonder why you ever considered replacing it in the first place.

Offline kittykatmax

Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:02:18 »
The Ergonomic Task Chair Club

thegunner100 - Steelcase Amia
mkawa - Herman Miller Aeron
ripster - Steelcase Leap
Amarok - Herman Miller Aeron
sordna - Herman Miller Aeron
Lanx - Ergohuman
Trent - Herman Miller Aeron
xcelerate - Humanscale Freedom
Glod - Herman Miller Embody
ChaoticKinesis - Herman Miller Mirra
Kurplop - Steelcase Leap
CPTBadAss - Steelcase Leap
mistakemistake - Steelcase Leap

Chair counts:
Steelcase - 5
Herman Miller - 6
Other - 1

Can anyone join?  Add me to list of Steelcase Leap owners. :)

Offline Dizon248

Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 23:04:30 »
The Ergonomic Task Chair Club

thegunner100 - Steelcase Amia
mkawa - Herman Miller Aeron
ripster - Steelcase Leap
Amarok - Herman Miller Aeron
sordna - Herman Miller Aeron
Lanx - Ergohuman
Trent - Herman Miller Aeron
xcelerate - Humanscale Freedom
Glod - Herman Miller Embody
ChaoticKinesis - Herman Miller Mirra
Kurplop - Steelcase Leap
CPTBadAss - Steelcase Leap
mistakemistake - Steelcase Leap

Chair counts:
Steelcase - 5
Herman Miller - 6
Other - 1

Can anyone join?  Add me to list of Steelcase Leap owners. :)

Herman Miller Embody being built and shipped here :)

Offline HardCelery

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 23:49:47 »
You poor bastards and your archaic torture devices known as chairs...

Stop sitting and start lying down. There is no way to simultaneously remain upright, relax your back muscles, and not compress your spine except for this:
Show Image

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Pictures of your setup? lol

Offline steve.v

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:27:19 »
After lots of research, I bought a used fully-adj HM aeron w/ posture-fit. In my opinion it may be a bit over priced; but after months of using it, I get a small grin every time I sit on it; weird I know. It's not perfect, but still a very good chair. My personal criterions for buying it if you're interested:

Know what size may best fit you, a b c.
Buy used good condition ones that were recently manufactured well within the last 3-5 ytd.
I would not spend over $500 for it unless it was the only choice
Get posture fit version and buy/build aftermarket small lumber-pad support, best of both worlds.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 18:04:11 »
OP here! I'm glad to see that this thread is still around, and hopefully people have gotten some good information out of the guide and the discussion.

I am a health sciences senior specializing in Environmental Health and Safety and for my writing class, I was supposed to write a research paper based on a health concern, and make a program based on the issues and the needs. Because of my chronic lower back pain, I decided to do my research on musculoskeletal disorders and chronic lower back pain among office workers. As of last week, I have completed and submitted my paper to my professor. This Thursday, I will be presenting a poster based on my research paper at my school's annual health symposium.

If you guys are interested, I could summarize my research and findings from various journal articles that I have read. I'm going to be busy for some time though, so this will probably come later. But the message that I want to leave with you guys for now is that finding an ergonomic chair alone is not enough to prevent back pain! Try to reduce your sitting time as much as possible, and make sure to take breaks from sitting every hour.