Author Topic: Realforce RGB + Hypersphere silencing rings (info/pics)  (Read 18377 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Realforce RGB + Hypersphere silencing rings (info/pics)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 20:04:53 »
Now that we know that some people are installing the Silencing Rings in the Topre RF RGB 108, we will make up some packets with 108 + 3 = 111 Rings (we toss in 3 extra Rings at no extra charge in each packet for various keyboard configurations to allow for various contingencies, such as loss, damage, defects, etc.).

BTW, we ran out of Rings sooner than expected this month. We expect to replenish them within the next few days and to have the listings back up on eBay as soon as possible.
Would it be possible to get them pre-cut? I am so clumsy I would have to buy three packs of 111 in order to get 108 working rings otherwise...

It is not that difficult to cut. I just used a normal pair of scissors. -

If you want to do it with precision..  xacto knife is better, because you can just press it under a ruler, and xacto the precise amount off that you need.

The scissor cuts looks straight, but it actually kind of cuts a slight curve shape upon soft materials.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 07:24:30 »
It doesn't really have to be perfect. You just need to remove enough material so it doesn't rub.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 08:45:21 »
I'm going to try to make a jig with my paper cutter :)
I just need some way of fastening 5-10 rings at the exact same location on one axis... Shouldn't be too difficult. Hell, I can just fasten them manually with tape, though that would be an annoying amount of work - I would spend 30 seconds per 5 rings, when I could spend three days making something that would enable me to do it in 10 seconds per...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 10:26:16 »
I'm going to try to make a jig with my paper cutter :)
I just need some way of fastening 5-10 rings at the exact same location on one axis... Shouldn't be too difficult. Hell, I can just fasten them manually with tape, though that would be an annoying amount of work - I would spend 30 seconds per 5 rings, when I could spend three days making something that would enable me to do it in 10 seconds per...

make sure to use the tight end of the paper cutter.

Although I'm not a fan of paper cutters for precision cutting.

you could make a jig with tape and then use the xacto.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 13:43:12 »
That's not a jig, that's "doing something just as well without making an effort" or something

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 13:51:01 »
That's not a jig, that's "doing something just as well without making an effort" or something

hahahaha...

Yea, I was actually just going to suggest drawing some lines on graph paper.. and a cut-here line.. hahahahahahahaha

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 14:22:48 »
Yea, actually thinking more about it now, I'd probably avoid the paper cutter.

I've had enough bad cuts from using paper cutters, and you can't really risk destroying more than a couple of these unless you want to spend a lot.

I was actually thinking maybe Hypersphere does want to adjust the cut of all the rings, because you could actually use less material/get higher yields if all the rings had this little cut at the top. They still work with stock Topre just fine, the missing piece is just a symmetry thing (which might bug people, I dunno, doesn't affect the noise).

If you had the two flat sides right against each-other on the stencil, you'd actually save 2-4mm of material for each row (I assume they line these up in a grid and cut them). So, less material used, and it fits all the Topre sliders (RGB + Original) :D (Except that pesky 87u Left Ctrl).

Or if you added 4 flat sides to all of the rings and made them more square, it would also lead to higher yields because you could put all the rings next to each other on the stencil.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 12:15:39 »
I simply used a small set of scissors. Worked fine, though I made sure I sharpened them first.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 12:24:45 »
Two rules I learned about cutting things from experts -- carpenters and surgeons:

+ Measure twice, cut once.

+ Never cut unless you can clearly see what you are cutting.

I'm a carpenter by trade & these are words to live by! :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 17:44:59 »
Two rules I learned about cutting things from experts -- carpenters and surgeons:

+ Measure twice, cut once.

+ Never cut unless you can clearly see what you are cutting.

I'm a carpenter by trade & these are words to live by! :thumb:

rob u haz pm !!