Author Topic: Geekhack Competitions  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
Geekhack Competitions
« on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:32:03 »
I propose, that as a community, we come together and do some fun competitions! To my knowledge, nothing like this exists and I find it a shame given our fun loving and somewhat closeknit community!

Here is my idea; We should have a series of competitions, mostly for fun, but where one can stand to win a little money as well. For example, everyone who's interested in the event, sends a few dollars to the sponsor of the event (which we could rotate, event to event of course, and it would probably be a well respected member of the community that everyone knows/is trustworthy). Said sponsor purchases (or already has) a relatively inexpensive cherry board, and swaps the switches out for super blacks/some other ridiculous switch they have/could get a hold of, at least for the 37 key main typing area. Then, the board is sent to a paying person who signed up and he/she is given a certain quantifiable task, like achieving a certain speed/ score ontypracer with the superblack board, or just seeing how fast/high of a score they can achieve. The board is then shipped from person to person who signed up for the competition. At the end, the highest speed/ score wins, and gets the money in the pot that might be left over, or wins the right to keep the board as a trophy or something.

This is just a very basic/preliminary idea. I think it would be tons of fun, so long as the materials/items are kept cheap enough to make a feasible entrance fee. Or perhaps if we chose not to let the winner keep the board, we could just re-use the same board, switching out the switches for any other cherry board required competitions?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:52:25 by Capitalistix »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: Geekhack Competitions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:33:10 »
im in lol

could be interesting
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:48:59 »
Sounds interesting but also seems like a really lengthy process. I'd still be up for competing though.

How about some competitions people can do on their own? E.G graphics competitions, keyboard of the week.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:53:31 »
I may reboot geekshot tourny soon.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:54:21 »
Sounds interesting but also seems like a really lengthy process. I'd still be up for competing though.

How about some competitions people can do on their own? E.G graphics competitions, keyboard of the week.

Graphics competitions? What do you mean?

And I suppose a keyboard of the week could work, we would all have to have a specific model board though.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:02:41 »

Graphics competitions? What do you mean?

And I suppose a keyboard of the week could work, we would all have to have a specific model board though.
Graphics as in graphic design. If it were held every month (for instance) you'd set a new theme & canvas every month.

Possible themes : Keyboards, anime, music, war, movies, video games. Literally anything.

When I say canvas I mean : Signature, avatar, desktop background etc. Give a minimum + maximum resolution.

Keyboard of the week wouldn't require a certain model. Look at the way OCN does it. Anyone with any board can compete on any week - obviously you wouldn't be able to enter the same board twice though.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:03:28 »
The online typing games are unreliable..

Typing of the Dead on the other hand... :D

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:17:40 »
Sounds fun.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:21:28 »

I am only familiar with ToTD on Dreamcast, did they make an easily available PC ver? That would be hella fun with some super blacks now wouldnt it?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:29:43 »
I don't think sending money around would work at all.  I have, however, thought that GH could do with a "keyboard of the month" sort of thing. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:38:01 »

I am only familiar with ToTD on Dreamcast, did they make an easily available PC ver? That would be hella fun with some super blacks now wouldnt it?

Yes they did..

But for obvious reasons, I can't "Link" to it.. but the hint is "Arrrgh""