Author Topic: I can once again tolerate a staggered layout. But regular mice still suck.  (Read 4752 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
I have yawed and yammered quite a bit in the ergonomics section about my distaste for typical staggered layouts.  But my reignited passion for buckling springs, with are not offered in non-staggered form, has returned me to tolerating the archaic layouts.  Sigh.  I know tp4tissue will be disappointed.

But regular mice are still terrible and make my hands hurt.  At least I retain a sliver of ergonomic pride.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: I can once again tolerate a staggered layout. But regular mice still suck.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:59:57 »
Cool story bro, do you even have a reason to switch to some sort of uncomfortable pointing solution?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:26:52 »
Cool story bro, do you even have a reason to switch to some sort of uncomfortable pointing solution?

Work.  Don't have ergo mice there.

Also, this thread is a waste.  I'm not even drunk and I started this thread.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:42:19 »

Not all ergo mice are expensive, unless you work somewhere that doesn't allow it you can bring one with you pretty easy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:45:17 »
I have yawed and yammered quite a bit in the ergonomics section about my distaste for typical staggered layouts.  But my reignited passion for buckling springs, with are not offered in non-staggered form, has returned me to tolerating the archaic layouts.  Sigh.  I know tp4tissue will be disappointed.

But regular mice are still terrible and make my hands hurt.  At least I retain a sliver of ergonomic pride.

staggered is a general term we adopted for the standard "rectangle" keyboard.

If you manage to find a Split IBM buckling..  that's still  TP4 Approved...

As is the Split Topre

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 03:39:27 »

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:41:45 »

Not all ergo mice are expensive, unless you work somewhere that doesn't allow it you can bring one with you pretty easy.

I'm picky on my mice and I only have one at the moment.

But I did just order a Mousetrapper.   I am hoping it also takes care of my household mouse problem.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:48:41 »
I use the Kensington Slimblade Trackball. Feels pretty good, man. I might also pick up the Microsoft Trackball Explorer for a relatively good deal ($40) to see if I prefer it over the Slimblade.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:58:42 »
The Microsoft Trackball (not Explorer) has to be the most comfortable and natural feeling mice I've used. Thankfully, I still have a couple. The Logitech version was good too. Since they don't make them anymore the next best thing is the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball. The thumb trackballs are much more ergonomic and comfortable to use than the ones where you have to move your entire hand.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:59:35 »
I use the Kensington Slimblade Trackball. Feels pretty good, man. I might also pick up the Microsoft Trackball Explorer for a relatively good deal ($40) to see if I prefer it over the Slimblade.

I got the Slimblade, too.  Love it more so than the CST Ltrac that I owned.  But I have some RSI that starting to makes it way up my elbow, and the old Slimblade is not helping.  And I always wanted to take the Mousetrapper for a spin and compare it to the Rollermouse.  And some dude (or dudette) on Ebay is selling the Mousetrapper for $150 with a return period, when it usually sells for $250.  Can't say no to that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:07:12 »

I got the Slimblade, too.  Love it more so than the CST Ltrac that I owned.  But I have some RSI that starting to makes it way up my elbow, and the old Slimblade is not helping.  And I always wanted to take the Mousetrapper for a spin and compare it to the Rollermouse.  And some dude (or dudette) on Ebay is selling the Mousetrapper for $150 with a return period, when it usually sells for $250.  Can't say no to that.

i tried the track ball for a bit... I couldn't get any wrist comfort on it.. because I kept having to turn my wrist back and forth...

should I be tilting toward my hand so I can more "finger" movement instead of wrist movement?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:10:22 »

i tried the track ball for a bit... I couldn't get any wrist comfort on it.. because I kept having to turn my wrist back and forth...

should I be tilting toward my hand so I can more "finger" movement instead of wrist movement?

That's why the thumb trackballs are more ergonomic. You just move your thumb and that's it. The other ones aren't much different from a normal mouse when it comes to wrist motion (which is where most people feel fatigue and pain.)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:00:10 »
The Microsoft Trackball (not Explorer) has to be the most comfortable and natural feeling mice I've used. Thankfully, I still have a couple. The Logitech version was good too. Since they don't make them anymore the next best thing is the Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball. The thumb trackballs are much more ergonomic and comfortable to use than the ones where you have to move your entire hand.

...except I got pains from clicking and scrolling with my index finger—on a thumb trackball (and a mouse, I rotated them, but there was no difference in this regard).

Thank gods for ambidextrous trackballs and thumb-operated buttons.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:09:35 »
It's certainly a personal preference. There is no wrist movement (which is what most people are trying to accomplish) with the thumballs. The range of motion for the thumb and index is still very small compared to other options.

Edit: ...but you are right, there is no perfect solution that I've seen yet. There is potential for discomfort in all of the listed options.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:11:13 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:32:42 »
I feel like big range of motion is actually a good thing in a way. We're talking about *repetitive* strain injury after all.

Trackpoint requires even less motion than thumb-operated trackballs, yet I don't think it's more ergonomic. Actually, it's the source of occasional pains in my other index finger.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:36:12 »

...except I got pains from clicking and scrolling with my index finger—on a thumb trackball (and a mouse, I rotated them, but there was no difference in this regard).

Most of the hand pain I've experience was due to constant left-clicking and scrolling on a regular mouse. Entire hand movement (found trackballs such as the Slimblade) has never bothered me. I think the thumb-operated buttons greatly reduce pain associated with the pain I was having.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:48:36 »

With the Slimblade, I keep my hand towards the outside of the mouse, and mostly use my thumb to move the trackball and occasionally my index finger.  It keeps my arm at a slight outward tilt and is easier on my fingers than a typical mouse, but I am finding it still causes some pain for my wrists.

The My favorite mice was the Rollermouse because it allowed me to use two hands interchangeably.   I have heard lots of good things about the Mousetrapper, so I cannot wait to try that out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:52:01 »
With the Slimblade, I keep my hand towards the outside of the mouse, and mostly use my thumb to move the trackball and occasionally my index finger.  It keeps my arm at a slight outward tilt and is easier on my fingers than a typical mouse, but I am finding it still causes some pain for my wrists.

Thanks for the idea, I haven't thought of using it like that.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:57:46 »

Most of the hand pain I've experience was due to constant left-clicking and scrolling on a regular mouse. Entire hand movement (found trackballs such as the Slimblade) has never bothered me. I think the thumb-operated buttons greatly reduce pain associated with the pain I was having.

I agree with this sentiment.  Another benefit of the Slimblade is you can basically use your palm for the lower buttons. 

But I preferred the Rollermice out of all the ergonomic devices that I have used for it's ease and flexibility.  However, the Rollermouse cannot be used with most ergonomic boards because of the keyboards split, floating design or height or thumb keys getting in the way.

On another note, I have found most of my pain is caused by the mouse, so I can get by with a typical flat buckling spring or Topre board with an ergonomic mouse and feel fine.  I just love ergo boards so much that I keep them around.  And next to me while I sleep.  And on long car rides.  And when I go the grocery store.  And....ok I'll stop now.