Author Topic: typing gloves - you must have them  (Read 14477 times)

Offline NateS

typing gloves - you must have them
« on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:13:17 »
I'm pretty new to the board, but I wanted to share a bit about typing gloves. I find it uncomfortable to use a computer without them. If I'm distracted and forget, within less than a minute I will notice if they aren't on. It really makes a difference. IMO, anyone with pain should try it out.

There may be others, but the one I use is the Imak SmartGlove. I like the one with the thumb, but without the thumb is good too. The glove has a plastic and foam strip on top of the wrist which doesn't prevent your wrist from bending upward, but helps keep it straight. There is a bean bag just south of the palm which keeps the wrist straight when mousing (though it does nothing for me, I use a trackball, Kensington Expert Mouse). The thumb has two splints in it. I'm not sure how much they really do, but I find the thumb makes the whole glove more comfortable that without. It uses a spandex kind of material and keeps your wrist warm, which is nice and possibly one of the biggest benefits.

I've been using this glove for years, maybe 6 or 7. They are a little pricey but well worth it. I've gone through lots of pairs. I like to have two pairs at least, so I can wash one and still use the computer. It gets stretched out a bit from use and washing warm makes it fit a lot snugger, like when it is new. I also find it is nice to keep one on top of the radiant heater in the winter and swap every hour or so.

Anyway, I hope I don't come off as an advertisement. I've had a lot of wrist pain (torn triangular fibrocartlidge complex) and it would be great if I could help others to find the comfort these gloves provide me every day. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: typing gloves - you must have them
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:20:52 »
hmmm.. .they look like rollerblade wrist protectors..

If you just remove the palm piece to them, they'd be identical to the "smart gloves" in shape..

If it's wrists you're worried about.. Egdx alleviates almost all wrist related problems due to tenting.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 00:48:18 »
I just got one of those Smart Gloves (but without the thumb support) and a "Computer Glove" both made by IMAK. If I'm using my Logitech M570, it makes it barely usable because the beads push my hand too far away from the ball for my thumb to reach. I can touch it, but just barely budge it. Using my Apple or Logitech trackpads, the gloves make it much more comfortable. I have had them for about 2 days and I only have used them for a little bit. I end up taking them off because the elastic seems like it's pushing against the base of my thumb too hard. I'm hopeful this goes away over time because I like them.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:57:51 »
I used wrist braces for a few months some years back.  Be careful that you don't wear them for too long each day, as you'll lose a lot of grip strength.  It's good that they work for you. 

TP4 is right about the keyboard - having the right the keyboard can make a ton of difference.  Have a browse through the forum and let us know if you like the look of something, we'll be happy to help you pick.  If it wasn't for my kinesis, I'd have quit my career.

[edit] Just seen that you opted for a realforce - looks like you're on your way already.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:00:40 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline NateS

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:14:56 »
@tp4tissue, many wrist supports (including rollerblade wrist protectors from a quick Google) have a piece that goes under the wrist and up to the palm. This is usually metal and doesn't flex, which isn't comfortable for long periods. It stabilizes the wrist for when you have an injury, but for computing I think it is more important to keep the wrist straight with the top of the arm. For this you need a support piece on top of the wrist, but it can't be too rigid. Also I have found the palm support pushes away the mouse (back when I used a mouse).

@SonOfSonOfSpock, the M570 looks like it requires your palm to rest on it, so I can see the glove's bean bag being a problem. You could try massacring the glove to remove the beads, but I'm afraid you'd be left with too much material at the palm. :( I could do without the beads most of the time, though they help a little if I rest my hands on the keyboard. I really like the Expert Mouse trackball with its integrated scroll wheel, but it's a bit spendy. The gloves will loosen up over time, but you would probably find the thumb support version more comfortable. I tried the Imak Computer Glove but wasn't impressed. It is smaller and doesn't have the splint above the wrist, which IMO is key.

@hoggy, aye, I a couple days ago I looked down at my Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 keyboard and saw it was caked with dog hair. I remove the spacebar and vacuumed it, but couldn't get all the nasty out without removing all the keys. After putting the spacebar back on I found it wobbled without being pressed about half an inch, which wasn't fixable by adjusting the stabilizer. Off I went, Googling keyboards and after about 12 hours of research I decided on the Realforce 87U EK. :D I'm really excited about it, not just how the Topre switches will feel, but not having a stupid tenkey pad will put my trackball much closer. I think will make using the computer more comfortable, less asymmetrical reaching and faster mouse/keyboard transitions.  :thumb:

The Kinesis looks interesting. I'm afraid I could never get used to it though. I started computers at 11 and I'm a self taught typist, which is basically to say I'm a super fast hunt-and-pecker.  :-[ I touch type, but not in the proper/traditional way, and it is quite ingrained after 22 years of doing it wrong. I haven't been able to get used to a split keyboard, even though it seems much better.

Offline Internet Friend

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:11:15 »
The Kinesis looks interesting. I'm afraid I could never get used to it though. I started computers at 11 and I'm a self taught typist, which is basically to say I'm a super fast hunt-and-pecker.  :-[ I touch type, but not in the proper/traditional way, and it is quite ingrained after 22 years of doing it wrong. I haven't been able to get used to a split keyboard, even though it seems much better.
I was in the same boat, but at 30 I picked up an ErgoDox, set it to Dvorak, and started learning again from scratch. The first few weeks are frustrating, but you get over it. It's so different from a plain QWERTY layout your muscle memory goes out the window. I'm sure a Kinesis or Maltron would have a similar effect.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:41:14 »
I was in the same boat, but at 30 I picked up an ErgoDox, set it to Dvorak, and started learning again from scratch. The first few weeks are frustrating, but you get over it. It's so different from a plain QWERTY layout your muscle memory goes out the window. I'm sure a Kinesis or Maltron would have a similar effect.

should probably clarify, Dvorak is very different from Qwerty... 

If the user is using Qwerty with the Dox, it's plug and play as far as muscle memory goes... minor adjustments only.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:59:07 »
Interesting... I've actually been using "typing gloves" for a couple years now, if you count the finger-less mittens I use during winter.  I can't tell if they're helping, as I've never actually had any wrist pain--but joint warmth is important, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It's good to know these exist.

Offline mauikutan

• Eyefinder Photo
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 10:05:42 »
imo  prefer dont use, maybe it will get slippery
tough also my tipmost finger wil not feel its tactile then

btw ive typed once using latex gloves, yes its horrible feel eventough not slippery

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough

Offline Tony

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:00:48 »
ROFL I prefer to buy a spare PBT keycap set. Only 37 keys is needed.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:07:00 »
My recommendation regarding this would be to avoid the glove/brace unless you are already having issues.  Couple reasons for this.  I would like to reiterate this is my personal opinion.

1.  Proper typing form will trump over a crutch.
2.  A lot of braces marketed toward a niche market can actually do more harm than good.  Weight lifting belts/back braces are common for this.  When I worked at a nursing home for mentally retarded and brain damaged, we were the only nursing home that didn't give velcro type back braces to the CNA's.  Reason being without proper training to use them properly with proper lift techniques (most of the CNA's were air heads that always had the geeks and nerds do their home work in high school) they will do more harm to the lower back than what they are supposed to prevent.
3.  Proper keyboard position and using a wrist (palm) rest can help out immensely as well.

On the flip side if it is doing good for you than good for you.  Keep using it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:16:24 »

2.  A lot of braces marketed toward a niche market can actually do more harm than good.  Weight lifting belts/back braces are common for this.  When I worked at a nursing home for mentally retarded and brain damaged, we were the only nursing home that didn't give velcro type back braces to the CNA's.  Reason being without proper training to use them properly with proper lift techniques (most of the CNA's were air heads that always had the geeks and nerds do their home work in high school) they will do more harm to the lower back than what they are supposed to prevent.

can you go into more detail and depth with this, i'm interested in knowing more.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:34:14 »

can you go into more detail and depth with this, i'm interested in knowing more.

Here is a quote from www.besthealthmag.ca.  Edited to add the bold section.

If you have to stand or sit much of the time—or lift heavy objects—try a back brace. Properly fit and correctly worn, it can comfort and support you, but don’t overdo it: A back brace limits normal movement, detracts from muscle conditioning, and reinforces the notion that your back needs protection.

here is another good read on the topic as well.  Granted it is all anecdotal advice and personal experiences but it jives with about 90% of the other stuff I have read and heard from various people and professionals.

So my take on this is if you don't need one don't use one.  That is if you are using a glove/brace to relax muscles and or trying to restrict movement.  Using a glove for pool/billiards is a different ball game.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline NateS

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:45:17 »
I'm sure many braces would be detrimental, as you say. Eg, a wrist brace that immobilizes the wrist and has a palm support for when it is injured is not very good for using a computer. However, this is not what I am suggesting.

A proper brace/gloves for typing/mousing is fantastic. The glove I suggested is more glove than brace. It is a cotton/spandex material that covers you from knuckles to forearm. The only brace in it is a foam strip that goes above your wrist. This doesn't prevent you from bending your wrist upward, but provides some resistance when you do. The glove isn't supporting your wrist, so it isn't going to cause problems with muscles losing their conditioning. The glove keeps your wrist area warm and helps you keep your wrist straight through the foam strip and bean bag on the palm.

Maybe pics would show it better. Here you can see the glove is a floppy piece of fabric. That is the bottom of the glove, which has a bean bag. I took out the foam strip and you can see the side of it:

Top of the glove and foam strip. You can see an indentation in the top of the glove where there is the pocket the foam strip goes in:

The foam strip has a thin plastic core, but is flexible.

Offline LarsMarkelson

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 18:39:29 »
Bump. These compression gloves are changing my life. I got the standard IMAK Arthritis Gloves and they work incredibly well at relieving my hand and finger pain. I wear them frequently while using the computer, after a long computer session, and sometimes even while sleeping. I can even play CS:GO with them on and am not impeded by the gloves much! It's great.

But yeah, if anyone is experiencing finger/hand pain from long computer use, then I would highly recommend trying these gloves. They are cheap too at ~$20, so very much worth trying imo.

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 07:21:41 »
I have the same gloves but without the thumb support.  I have been using it for a little over a year and it has been great. 

NateS: It is never too late to learn to touch type properly.  I learned only two or three years ago and I am 35.  I actually learned to touch type on a Kinesis Advantage.  The key placement made it very easy to get the right keys especially the ones that are close to the middle.  It feels so good to type without ever having to look down at your keyboard especially for symbol keys or number keys, less neck strain from not having to keep looking down.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 07:57:46 by rsantos97 »

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 08:15:45 »
Hmm, interesting topic!

I always get cold and stiff hands during winter, this might be a nice solution :)
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Truly Ergonomic Keyboard 229
2x Kinesis Freestyle V3-VIP
2x Bamboo Pen & Touch (Mouse replacement)
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron