Author Topic: Has the HHKB been the closest to "Endgame" at GH?  (Read 28091 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Has the HHKB been the closest to "Endgame" at GH?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:23:25 »

YES to Ergodox..

No to Printed caps..  PRINTED caps are so useless..

I sure love when one post takes up half my browser window.

(Attachment Link)

Very rude of you to leave your font sizes unedited and change mine to 12 point sir. You have some nerve

Can you hear me now ?

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:29:19 »

YES to Ergodox..

No to Printed caps..  PRINTED caps are so useless..

I sure love when one post takes up half my browser window.

(Attachment Link)

Very rude of you to leave your font sizes unedited and change mine to 12 point sir. You have some nerve

Can you hear me now ?

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:32:47 »
B
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 17:13:48 »
B

So whussup, B?

Watching the game, having a Bud.

True.  True.

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 17:27:52 »
Beamspring, of course.   :eek:
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline DuckNorris

Re: Has the HHK been the closest to "Endgame" at GH?
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:58:35 »
Hello all,
Endgame meaning the keyboard that ends it all, the perfect one.

I would think this would be YOUR endgame. It's not mine or anyone else to decide for you. Of course I know what I like.

You missed the point of the entire post. It is not my endgame btw but I was saying as a community , overall. Like which keyboard stands out the most as being the most satisfying keyboard for community at GH.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 16:05:10 »
Endgame on GH seems pretty inextricably tied to Topre.

On DT, it seems most often beamspring.

Haha, that is funny that it would look like that. I remember seeing a lot of DT about model M's.

Everyone else, thank you for having a good discussion with no flaming. I read them all and it does seem like overall atleast even if not HHKB, Topre seems to satisfy a lot of people for the most part. Maybe endgame switch for a lot of people here.

Makes me think what is the possibility another keyboard may pop out that would make a lot of people change to it. Who knows, I guess keyboards can still keep evolving much more than what already has.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 21:02:21 »
Hello all,

I would think this would be YOUR endgame. It's not mine or anyone else to decide for you. Of course I know what I like.

You missed the point of the entire post. It is not my endgame btw but I was saying as a community , overall. Like which keyboard stands out the most as being the most satisfying keyboard for community at GH.

Am I wrong? The point of your post isn't what others think, it should be what you think. That's what I think. Carry on.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 22:30:14 »
Hello all,

Am I wrong? The point of your post isn't what others think, it should be what you think. That's what I think. Carry on.

Yeah you are.It was overall as a community at GH which keyboard has gotten the most praise and people have stuck to it and push it forth. Which keyboard had the most people swear by it and such and the HHKB had been the most prevalent or atleast appears to be . If I wanted what I or any individual thought it would be " What is your endgame keyboard."

Offline zslane

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 23:34:56 »
Maybe there should be a poll titled, "What has been your end-game (or nearly so) board?" with two options: "HHKB" and "Something else," and see what the numbers say. How things seem to be may or may not be supported by the actual figures. We can't know for sure until we take a measure of the GH community (at least those who will answer and answer honestly).

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 00:33:33 »
Maybe there should be a poll titled, "What has been your end-game (or nearly so) board?" with two options: "HHKB" and "Something else," and see what the numbers say. How things seem to be may or may not be supported by the actual figures. We can't know for sure until we take a measure of the GH community (at least those who will answer and answer honestly).

That will be interesting but to me it would be a list of many keyboard with the HHKB and whichever one wins is the the answer to my question. I am not defending the HHKB or any other board. I am just curious you know like , what is the bar, what made this keyboard love by so many etc. A poll will be very interesting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2017, 01:07:51 by DuckNorris »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 02:04:58 »

That will be interesting but to me it would be a list of many keyboard with the HHKB and whichever one wins is the the answer to my question. I am not defending the HHKB or any other board. I am just curious you know like , what is the bar, what made this keyboard love by so many etc. A poll will be very interesting.

Yeah cause it would be difficult to integrate things like customs when nothing else satisfies somebody, the kind of stuff that ends up on KOTM. Like how do you quantify all the different form factors ALPS and MX boards come in even? Of course it's not fair to go by switch type alone and leave HHKB and non HHKB Topre separated.

Offline zslane

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:11:26 »
Well, the point would be to determine what percentage of end-game boards the HHKB represents. Just to confirm, or put to rest, the theory that it is the majority end-game board around here. The specific breakdown of "non-HHKB" isn't important in that case.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 12:31:53 »
I'd be curious to see how that poll goes, personally I'm between HHKBs and it sucks even if it isn't what spends the most time sitting on my desk.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:54:23 »
Well, the point would be to determine what percentage of end-game boards the HHKB represents. Just to confirm, or put to rest, the theory that it is the majority end-game board around here. The specific breakdown of "non-HHKB" isn't important in that case.
Exactly my point, thank you. Although , for now I guess it is just mere speculation on my part.

@happylacquer

Yeah it is just curious to see like maybe other makers can look at what made this keyboard so special to so many etc.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 19:04:06 »
Exactly my point, thank you. Although , for now I guess it is just mere speculation on my part.

@happylacquer

Yeah it is just curious to see like maybe other makers can look at what made this keyboard so special to so many etc.

This entirely reminds me of the "No Choice! One Keyboard! That's It!" thread.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67833.0
I guess everyone forgot about that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 19:23:24 »
If you type on Topre you type on rubber domes. Your keyboard game has come full circle and you're right back where you started.

Offline zslane

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 19:30:35 »
That's like telling a Formula-1 driver that he's driving an open-wheel single-seater, and has come full circle to where he began racing Go-karts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:26:46 »
so i plugged in my HHKB today

Offline Tactile

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 21:30:46 »
Show Image

You know why it's shown as a toaster, right?

REΛLFORCE

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:28:44 »
If I had a HHKB, it'd be my endgame... I'd get so frustrated having to use so many key combinations to do anything, it wouldn't be long till I'd thrown it out the window and vowed never to type again.

I understand HHKBs about as much as I understand deejays being considered entertainers. Except deejays don't make you do a whole bunch of extra work just so you can have something small and cute on your desk.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline zslane

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 10:45:55 »
If I had a HHKB, it'd be my endgame... I'd get so frustrated having to use so many key combinations to do anything, it wouldn't be long till I'd thrown it out the window and vowed never to type again.

I understand HHKBs about as much as I understand deejays being considered entertainers. Except deejays don't make you do a whole bunch of extra work just so you can have something small and cute on your desk.

:thumb:

(I wish GH would let me "like" this post)

Offline hapakey

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 15:36:06 »
You just did!   :thumb:

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 08:38:06 »
The HHKB is definitely my end game but I also know that there is no way to objectively call it the best. Personally, and objectively speaking, I would definitely not call the HHKB the best keyboard, but it is the best keyboard for me.

I tried many MX style keyboards and have tested a lot of MX style switches with all of them failing to satisfy me. Topre, right out of the gate just felt superior and the "thock" sound is what I am addicted too. Even though I am not a huge fan of stock Topre, putting Hyperspheres and Lubing it really made a drastic difference and gave me the exact feel and sound that I wanted from my Keyboard. Then the HHKB layout and size fits my needs perfectly. I personally hate large keyboards and wanted something small form factor, and the different layout that HHKB uses is the exact change that I was looking for. It feels natural to me and it doesn't have useless keys that I have no use for. It just fits the bill for me, and thats why its my end game, but in no way would I call it the best keyboard.

I personally would love to build a custom keyboard with a high profile case, SA keycap set, and with Zealio 67g (the only MX switch I kind of liked) and mimic the HHKB layout but even after that is all said and done I probably would still go back to my Topre HHKB (as far as daily use goes). I really wish I was more into MX keyboards/switches but they just don't work for me anymore. My taste may change in the future, but currently I  don't see that happening because this is the first keyboard I have actually used without thinking about changing or replacing it with anything.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 09:23:22 »
Even if everyone who responded to this thread thought the HHKB were the be-all-end-all, it wouldn't prove that the community as a whole agrees.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 09:25:57 »
Personally, I prefer the Realforce.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 11:36:43 »
It depends on how exactly you're asking the question. If you're asking if the HHKB is the most prevalent endgame, I'd say there's a real possibility. But this is only due to the fact that within the realm of Topre, you have far fewer options. With MX, Alps, and other various vintage switches, there are enough options that it's a small plurality what the most sought-after endgame is.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Cropzy

• Topre is love, topre is life.
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 11:55:37 »
There is no 'true' endgame.

New stuff will always come out and so will new custom things that people will want.

The keyboard community is never fully satisfied.
good feeling of oneness with cup rubber

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:06:15 »
Even if everyone who responded to this thread thought the HHKB were the be-all-end-all, it wouldn't prove that the community as a whole agrees.

Not as a whole of course, but the most prevalent I supposed will be a better word in the community which is what I was going for. Don't get me wrong, I myself much prefer the layout of realforce too but just more talk of HHKB around here which is what I was also pointing out.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:07:12 »
It depends on how exactly you're asking the question. If you're asking if the HHKB is the most prevalent endgame, I'd say there's a real possibility. But this is only due to the fact that within the realm of Topre, you have far fewer options. With MX, Alps, and other various vintage switches, there are enough options that it's a small plurality what the most sought-after endgame is.

Very good point. You went rambo there with this post orca ninja.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:16:27 by DuckNorris »

Offline zslane

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:09:34 »
My definition of end-game probably differs from that of some others. My definition is that it is the culmination of all my keyboard desires as they exist right now. I don't worry about what might or might not come along, or change my mind, in the future. The future isn't here yet, so it has no say in what "end-game" means to me; only right now matters.

And on that basis, I am happy to report that I've been typing on my end-game board for about a month now.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:21:19 »
My definition of end-game probably differs from that of some others. My definition is that it is the culmination of all my keyboard desires as they exist right now. I don't worry about what might or might not come along, or change my mind, in the future. The future isn't here yet, so it has no say in what "end-game" means to me; only right now matters.

And on that basis, I am happy to report that I've been typing on my end-game board for about a month now.

That is very interesting indeed and I did not think about that , that people have different opinions of "end-game". From what I had seen, it seems it was like an accepted definition. But I am glad you found one , I hoping in near future to be typing on mine.

Offline zslane

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 13:12:45 »
Sure, people have different opinions of "end-game". However, some people carry the notion that end-game can't ever exist purely because of what might come along in the future. Such a position renders the entire subject pointless, which means they are trying to basically shut down discussion. While such an anti-theory is valid on its own terms, it isn't terribly constructive in a thread like this.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 13:40:07 »

That first paragraph sums up my thoughts on using those smaller boards pretty well.

Though, as an aside, I will say that a good DJ should be able to create new music out of existing music.  Then again, many times a DJ has a multi-faceted job.  They're there to entertain you but if you're at a club, part of their job is to control the tempo to get people off the dance floor at times to buy drinks, then back on to keep things going to keep people at the club longer so they can eventually buy more drinks when the DJ brings the tempo back down again.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 21:13:03 »
HHKB is talked about a lot because it's a widely available off the shelf topre board.  Off the shelf boards will always be more prevalent than any single custom board due to manufacturing limitations for custom builds, combined with topre switches, and a ~60% layout, and boom.. super popular board.  I'm a huge topre fan, but decided to make an FC660C my daily instead because I like the layout and solid feeling better.  Plenty of ear pleasing thock as well.

And HHKBs aren't end game for most.  They just send you down the difficult path of finding replacement caps, performing time consuming silencing and lubing mods, case swaps, and so on.  No such thing as end game, just temporary satisfaction.  My leopold isn't end game.  I'm still assembling parts for 3 separate mx build right now!  Because I enjoy different switches and variety!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2017, 21:14:40 by tameone »
keyboards.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:30:37 »

Not as a whole of course, but the most prevalent I supposed will be a better word in the community which is what I was going for. Don't get me wrong, I myself much prefer the layout of realforce too but just more talk of HHKB around here which is what I was also pointing out.

I'm not sure how you'd gauge whether it is or isn't based solely on the responses in this thread, though. That's all I'm saying.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:20:45 »
Show Image

You know why it's shown as a toaster, right?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

top kek.  :))
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Kilonzi

• Praise the sun!
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 03:16:45 »
My definition of end-game probably differs from that of some others. My definition is that it is the culmination of all my keyboard desires as they exist right now.

I totally share zslane's definition of an end-game board. And yes for me the HHKB Pro2 Type-S is my current end-game board. I have a second one in the mail. As I don't like to carry my board everyday to work and back.

But... I'm not done with trying different keyboards. There might be another equally good or even better keyboard out there. And so I'm giving ergo-clears a try and see if I like them. After that project I might go and try some other sizes than 60% and TKL. Maybe I go for a TX-75 or similar board. I don't know yet. Let's see! At the moment I like the Topre switches a lot more than unmodded Cherry MX switches. But this is not set in stone.

So... My journey for a better board just started. The HHKB was just a great starting point!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:37:33 »

I'm not sure how you'd gauge whether it is or isn't based solely on the responses in this thread, though. That's all I'm saying.

I thought maybe someone may have done a poll before or a different post or maybe someone had some data. You never know but also wanted to read different viewpoints.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 22:19:28 »
I tried many MX style keyboards and have tested a lot of MX style switches with all of them failing to satisfy me. Topre, right out of the gate just felt superior and the "thock" sound is what I am addicted too. Even though I am not a huge fan of stock Topre, putting Hyperspheres and Lubing it really made a drastic difference and gave me the exact feel and sound that I wanted from my Keyboard. Then the HHKB layout and size fits my needs perfectly. I personally hate large keyboards and wanted something small form factor, and the different layout that HHKB uses is the exact change that I was looking for. It feels natural to me and it doesn't have useless keys that I have no use for. It just fits the bill for me, and thats why its my end game, but in no way would I call it the best keyboard.

Minus the bit about disliking stock Topre, this is largely reflective of my thoughts on the HHKB. Not the best board, but the best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline robbles

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:29:51 »
Simply, I just think the HHKB checks most of the enthusiast keyboard boxes. Compact, exotic layout (which makes sense once you use it), exotic switches, quality construction, easy to mod, great key caps (option for blanks), looks great with artisans, great sound, detachable cable, two great color options, just uncommon enough to be exotic, great history. Prolly missing some things. But few other keyboards are able to check all the boxes the HHKB does. Some vintage keyboards might check as many or more boxes, but none are as easily accessible as the HHKB. It might not be for everybody, but it's the reason so many people here love it.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline zslane

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:25:51 »
I use this as proof that extraterrestrials walk among us, because people who use tiny little toy keyboards (like the HHKB) as their main drivers are an alien species AFAIC.  :p

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:52:18 »
I use this as proof that extraterrestrials walk among us, because people who use tiny little toy keyboards (like the HHKB) as their main drivers are an alien species AFAIC.  :p

I tend to wonder what these people do for a living that don't at least need a 60% board.  I could get by on a 60% but love my F and arrow keys enough that I don't really want to sacrifice.  I'm just thinking of the ergonomic strain of having to 2-key or 3-key combo it just to input numbers or other symbols not on the primary layer of those small boards.

Offline robbles

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:13:31 »

I tend to wonder what these people do for a living that don't at least need a 60% board.  I could get by on a 60% but love my F and arrow keys enough that I don't really want to sacrifice.  I'm just thinking of the ergonomic strain of having to 2-key or 3-key combo it just to input numbers or other symbols not on the primary layer of those small boards.

Senior full-stack web developer.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline zslane

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:21:27 »

Alien senior full-stack web developer.

There, fixed it for you.  :thumb:

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:47:23 »

Senior full-stack web developer.

Interesting.  Where do you have things like brackets and parenthesis set or are you simply using languages that don't make much use of such things?  As a UNIX/Linux admin that deals with Ruby and Puppet, I would be continually frustrated having most of those right-hand non-alpha characters off on another layer.  At a 60% board size, I at least continue to get all the necessities even if the F keys are on another layer.  Dropping smaller than that begins to may a lot more layout changes and requires important-to-me keys on layers.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:52:53 »
An example of a HHKB 'End-game' board:

Type-S|55g|HiPro|Hasu BT

It needed to source from 2 different sets of HiPro Topre caps to complete this board.

And when I had the chance to play with it, a well sought after Glow-In-Dark Artisan cap was on it too:

I think in total, the owner, a professional UNIX expert, should have spent > $1000 to build it up slowly to this stage.

More

P.s. My HHKB Pro 2 is not my 'end-game' by the way. I am usually happy with it but sometimes not so about its certain aspects.
But by definition, there is no real 'end-game' for anyone in any keyboard community - as long as he is still going out to check out other options, he is still in his 'game'. 'End-game' essentially means he/she has left the 'game', but not until he or she has found his one and only most suitable/affordable/'best' boyfriend/girlfriend as a good reason to leave all other options, or not until he has grown tired of looking despite has not yet found the perfect one, or not until some event happens in her life so she had no option but to leave the 'game' and stick to what she has found so far or even nothing.

For example, IvanIvanovich/Ivan has left the 'game' (perhaps...  :eek:) and CPTBadAss apparently has left the 'game' too. I think people would still keep on getting new things as long as they are still in the 'game'; and a more legitimate reason to leave the 'game' is usually not because one has found an 'End-game' keyboard, but that one has grown tired of the 'game' (a hobby in this case) and feel bored by the 'game' and then eventually find staying in the 'game' kind of meaningless. They should have found some personally better ways to spend their time and money and energy, or that they have no choice but to focus on some other aspects of their lives.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:00:35 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline menuhin

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 14:26:51 »
If the definition of "favorite board" is having bought more than one, then I guess my favorite boards are/have been:
  • Filco Majestouch-2 (x6)
  • Vortex Pok3r (x4)
  • Varmilo VA108M (x2)
  • RealForce RGB (x2)

How can a 'user' 'need' so many (x6) Filco Majestouch-2???
Ah.... probably as homes to the gorgeous key sets.  :cool:
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline zslane

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 14:41:06 »
Well, many of my Filco Majestouch-2s are now unnecessary and will go up for sale.
  • One of them was an experiment to give MX blacks a try; I didn't like them.
  • Three of them have MX reds and were intended to be my main drivers back when I thought MX red would be my end-game switch.
  • Two of them (one black case, one white case) have MX silent reds and are intended to be back-up boards. These are probably the only two that I will ultimately keep.

Offline zslane

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 14:42:29 »
An example of HHKB 'End-game':

Type-S|55g|HiPro|Hasu BT
Show Image

It needed to source from 2 different sets of HiPro Topre caps to complete this board.

And when I had the chance to play with it, a well sought after Artisan cap was on it too:
Show Image

I think in total, the owner, a professional UNIX expert, should have spent > $1000 to build it up slowly to this stage.

More

I'd love to find a way to get a set of those red Hi-Pro keycaps.