Author Topic: Does it matter what MX switch you buy if you're changing springs?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Does it matter what MX switch you buy if you're changing springs?
« on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 03:19:00 »
As in can you get any linear or tactile, and once the spring is replaced, and the rest will be identical?

A little birdie told me that there will be a new supply of 150g thru 180g cherry springs, and my fingers that learned to type on an Apple //c with the rubber silencing mat is craving those insanely hard key presses.

I have done a lot of smack talk on MX as of late but I think I could really like it if I get to 150g or higher so I might put extra heavy switches in a bunch and populate a PCB.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: Does it matter what MX switch you buy if you're changing springs?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 03:21:59 »
linears are the same, but the tactiles are different (brown/clear), the clear has a more refined bump and if you use the clears with lighter springs they will get stuck when pressing down, click stems are the same.

Edit : Tactile grey are the same as clear.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 03:27:10 »
If i want maximum bumpage, should i go clear then?

If I'm putting in 150g-180g springs I don't think they'll get stuck because of too light springs  :thumb:

Thanks for your help bro, immensely appreciated. Oh man, my fingers can't wait for these insane keypresses.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 04:52:53 »

If I'm putting in 150g-180g springs I don't think they'll get stuck because of too light springs  :thumb:

Thanks for your help bro, immensely appreciated. Oh man, my fingers can't wait for these insane keypresses.

maximum bumpage shluld be clears/tactile greys yes. Just to warn you i had your idea once upon a time, i did mx browns with 120g springs. It sucked balls :). Even if heavy is fun to play around with, it doesnt work in the long run.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 05:50:40 »
The bump in clears isn't actually more tactile than that in browns, just less sharp and more drawn-out. They also have the same double-bump sawtooth feel.

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 06:29:16 »

The heavier springs will almost takeaway the tactile bump due to having to press harder to actuate.

To get the most tactility you need to learn to float type and not pound the keys.

Like with MX clears you can learn to type on them without bottoming out using the stock spring or something a little different depending on taste.

I honestly don't see how anyone can type properly at any normal speed with super heavy switches. The super heavy springs totally change the dynamics.

Yes I've tried and to me it was a miserable experience. I thought I liked heavy switches but after a while I had hand and finger pains.

I realize some may truly prefer switches they have to really press down on to actuate but again you might as well just go linear at that point because you are bottoming out anyway.

Also if you use topre they will feel way lighter than the very heavy MX you are suggesting.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 06:31:38 by SpAmRaY »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:06:17 »
HaaTa's said something about typing on superheavy switches like on a piano—leaning on the keys with the whole weight of your body.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:36:20 »
You're going to be pissed off at 100+ grams in no time..

so, no it doesn't matter, because it's a certainty that you'd get over it and switch back.. hahahahahahhaha

Offline Tally810

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 22:23:23 »
HaaTa's said something about typing on superheavy switches like on a piano—leaning on the keys with the whole weight of your body.
I saw that on top clack he said you almost lean over the keyboard and push your whole body into it.  That guy is an OG in the keyboard game btw.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk