Author Topic: Are lighter switches actually better for gaming?  (Read 8080 times)

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
Are lighter switches actually better for gaming?
« on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:52:09 »
Assuming logically that you will need to click super fast one would say that the lighter the switch the faster it activates. What are your opinions and experiences. So should one prefer Reds over Blacks or Browns over Clears ?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
Re: Are lighter switches actually better for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:05:58 »
The heavier the switch the faster it returns. I don't think the weight really affects how quickly most people can press the switch down, but how quickly the switch comes back up is out of the gamer's control.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:09:20 »
Assuming logically that you will need to click super fast one would say that the lighter the switch the faster it activates. What are your opinions and experiences. So should one prefer Reds over Blacks or Browns over Clears ?

Depends on the game I guess, if mis-clicks could have dire costs, blue's could be better, but if you're just spamming wasd like a buffoon, red's are probably better

I get all the switches, but I still don't get browns, they seem very irritating to me, they're like reds that have something stuck in them
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline regack

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:10:20 »
So I just switched my WASD keys from blues to reds, and so far the only thing I can say is that it's quieter - this should be the case, given the spring rate in both of those is the same, right?  Anyway, I decided against going with a heavier switch, in spite of the fact that I normally like typing on greens.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:17:59 »
So I just switched my WASD keys from blues to reds, and so far the only thing I can say is that it's quieter - this should be the case, given the spring rate in both of those is the same, right?  Anyway, I decided against going with a heavier switch, in spite of the fact that I normally like typing on greens.

I haven't checked any graphs, but the click activation/edge matters a lot too, you can rest your fingers on blue's, but definitely not red's, the spring seems the same, yet the click friction/edge adds to the force requirement, if I'm not mistaken

If you're using the QWER keys for activations for example, red's are ..., risky

red board + blue macro keys would make sense for a larger spectrum of games tho
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:19:09 »
No, it doesn't matter at all..

People greatly over-estimate the importance of keyboard with respect to gaming in general..

There is no such thing as a gaming-keyboard,   they just made that up to sell you more keyboards.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:03:49 »

People greatly over-estimate the importance of keyboard with respect to gaming in general..

There is no such thing as a gaming-keyboard,   they just made that up to sell you more keyboards.

Exactly this.  No has any advantage over any other keyboard with respect to switch selection.  The only issue that could possibly come up is key rollover.  IE trying to game on an M with a game that can realistically require/min max and have to press 5 or 6 keys at once.  But this is not a limitation to the switches. 

TL:DR THERE IS NO GAMING SWITCH.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:15:42 »
Oh ok sorry dont eat me alive

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:20:13 »
Oh ok sorry dont eat me alive

You've been bitten by Geekhack.. now you are knowledgeable.. Go bite others..

There is no cure to our enlightenment.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:31:10 »
The heavier the switch the faster it returns. I don't think the weight really affects how quickly most people can press the switch down, but how quickly the switch comes back up is out of the gamer's control.

I call BS. The finger is slower to rise than the spring pushing the slider and any "gains" in speed by increased pushback force are countered by "losses" in increased resistance to downwards movement.

It makes no real difference at all. Whichever suits you better is the one to use.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:31:36 »

Exactly this.  No has any advantage over any other keyboard with respect to switch selection.  The only issue that could possibly come up is key rollover.  IE trying to game on an M with a game that can realistically require/min max and have to press 5 or 6 keys at once.  But this is not a limitation to the switches. 

I mostly agree, but there are some exceptions.  I have seen ergo Clears that hung on the return and you run into potential problems (depending on your style) with clicky switches and hysteresis.  Other than those issues that pop up sometimes, the best switch for gaming is the one you like best.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 16:48:44 »

I mostly agree, but there are some exceptions.  I have seen ergo Clears that hung on the return and you run into potential problems (depending on your style) with clicky switches and hysteresis.  Other than those issues that pop up sometimes, the best switch for gaming is the one you like best.

The hanging issue eventually clears up after the switch is broken in.

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 17:53:57 »
Blues are underrated for gaming.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:15:34 »
In my opinion, they are. If you play games that require extremely rapid key inputs that AREN'T double taps, this is quite obvious IMO. Not to say I can't play on heavy boards, I do just fine on any of my Alps which are pretty stiff. But I might've done better on the same switches if they'd have been lighter.

Blues are overrated in every way including for gaming, IMO :p . I genuinely don't see what the big deal with these switches is.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:20:29 »

I call BS. The finger is slower to rise than the spring pushing the slider and any "gains" in speed by increased pushback force are countered by "losses" in increased resistance to downwards movement.

It makes no real difference at all. Whichever suits you better is the one to use.

Honestly I doubt it makes enough difference to care. I agree with you about using whatever suits you better, and you are definitely right that for most spring weights it'll return more quickly than you can move your finger. However, I will say that when I experimented with lighter springs (like 25-35g) and with magnets the switches were very slow to reset, like 250ms. Once you hit 40-45g (red/blue territory) it resets too quickly for me to estimate. I doubt many people are going to put super light springs in their switches, making this a moot point.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:23:28 »
No.  They're worse since you can accidentally press them more easily.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:24:20 »
In my opinion, they are. If you play games that require extremely rapid key inputs that AREN'T double taps, this is quite obvious IMO. Not to say I can't play on heavy boards, I do just fine on any of my Alps which are pretty stiff. But I might've done better on the same switches if they'd have been lighter.

Blues are overrated in every way including for gaming, IMO :p . I genuinely don't see what the big deal with these switches is.

you can't see it, yet you should be able to hear it, they click :)
jk.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 02:08:25 »

you can't see it, yet you should be able to hear it, they click :)
jk.

Well... they do make this horrible high-pitched "tack" sound, if that's what you mean....  :p

Just joking. I happen to find the MX clicky sound irritating and I find the hysteresis irritating, but some love the clickys.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 10:28:23 »

Reds for gaming, everything else is obsolete.
你搞砸了

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 14:31:10 »
I use blacks with Sprit's 85g gold springs. I love heavy switches.
For gaming 85g linear and for typing 85g clicky.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:52:31 »
Sorry about "biting", that was not the intention.  My intention was for people in the future that come across this thread in a search.  No one switch provides any physical advantage over any other switch.  If you browse through gaming competitions enough, you will probably see about ever switch made with the probable exceptions of hall effect and reed switches, but that is just due to availability and difficulty in getting them to work over USB.  But even then, there is nothing in the switch that makes them good or bad for gaming.  It all comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I game with reds and clears.  Reds on WASD and clears everywhere else on my orbweaver.  If I could have the orbweaver layout with F style bucking springs, I would game on those.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:14:01 »
No one switch provides any physical advantage over any other switch.
I have no idea about video games – which I play maybe a few hours of per year and certainly not competitively – but for regular typing, the switch makes a noticeable difference for me. Probably at least 20% speed difference (maybe 30%?) between the best and worst switches. Half of that difference is difference in raw typing speed, and the other half is time saved from less typing errors, which some switches make much more common, for me. When you add to that the improved comfort / reduced fatigue and sheer pleasure typing on nice switches, spending some amount of effort finding the right switch is totally worth it. (Of course, around here people spend much more than *some* time and effort.)

To draw reliable general conclusions about specific switches would require a large and well designed scientific study, and I haven’t seen any about this topic. (There are studies, but the ones I’ve read mostly suck.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:23:15 by jacobolus »

Offline choc

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 00:15:14 »
My though from nearly a month's experience:

For short run, the heavier linear switch, the better for faster response, double tapping and less able to mistakenly press keys.

For continuously playing games for hours without taking any break(unhealthy), lighter switches may be better for less stonger hands.

Anyway, I think mouse is more important than keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 00:17:00 by choc »

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 04:19:03 »
I've seen the best CS players in the world on rubber dome do the most insane things. When they switched over to mech there was no difference in the way they played.

Bottom line is game on what you enjoy to game on. After all gaming is for enjoyment and satisfaction. I prefer reds for gaming. They right to me. Find what feels right to you.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 01:30:40 »
I've had some pretty amazing fps gaming scores on 2KRO boards.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 01:44:36 »
clicky switches definitely slow me down in fps games, feels sluggish. tactile seem fine, unless its like what nubbs said with clears returning slowly on lighter springs 

But for rts, any switch seems fine. 
Hi :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 02:00:17 »
I don't think there's really a huge difference when you're playing, except some minor details.

I find heavier switches cause noticeable fatigue after a few hours of gaming (FPS, anyways).
MX Reds are pretty easy to accidentally press adjacent keys... can be extremely inconvenient.
MX Blue/Green have hysteresis that can cause repeats to not register as a new key press.
Buckling springs can make any game feel like a pinball machine. :cool:

I've played CS:GO with all my keyboards and none of them were much different performance-wise beyond the above occurances. I actually prefer gaming with MX Browns though as they are a balance between lightness (low fatigue), quietness, and a hint of tactility to reduce errors and have a little bit of feeling when the actuation occurs.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:30:58 »
Depends what you're doing, I guess, and your expectations.

I just spent the last two and a half hours playing Arkham Asylum on a model f. My hand isn't really tired, though the amount of time I can actually play action games before I get motion sick is limited, so It's possible my hands would be falling off in another hour or so. :p
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:56:54 »
Its almost all personal preference. People swear by all kinds of switches.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Lazerxzz

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 02:36:47 »
Preference mostly but I'd say reds are indeed better for gaming. You can play for longer periods without finger fatigue. I used to play world of warcraft and I would get sore hands after pvping for hours. Once I got a red switch keyboard from blues I never had that problem again.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline chicken

• Gallus gallus domesticus
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 12:30:39 »
Short answer: maybe
Long answer: how heavy handed are you? Do you mash down on your keys like a maniac? If yes, get a heavier switch so you won't accidentally press a key. If you type with feather-light keystrokes, get a lighter switch.

Offline Kaiteokid

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 04:41:44 »

Completely agree with you.
Not sure how ppl are lead to believe diff switches can make an ultimate difference when it comes to gaming.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 04:55:20 »

Not sure how ppl are lead to believe diff switches can make an ultimate difference when it comes to gaming.

Re-visit that statement with 200g springs

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 06:50:11 »
I've found tactility to be in the way on some games. Particularly on fighting games and racing games. Some other games that require extremely fast fingerwork are retarded by switches with not-very-clean keyfeel. For the majority of games (and gamers) most types of switches would work just fine though (frankly, rubber domes would be fine for most).

Offline Kaiteokid

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 18:20:46 »

You think you're so smart now don'tcha :]

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 14:01:23 »

Hey now, I game on 500g springs!  ;)
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 14:16:49 »

Hey now, I game on 500g springs!  ;)

Sup?

Offline DSlayerZX

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 14:53:25 »
From what i can tell, from personal experience, there really ins't too big of a difference between tactile and linear keys when it comes to gaming.

For light keys, you may accidentally trigger certain key press if you are not careful, but that's the general nature of light keys.

a few things to note though.

1. I found heavier keys (cherry black for example) may cause more fatigue on long sessions compare to lighting switches.

2. The noise, if you are on VOIP programs often, then I would advise you to stay away from loud clicking switches, (ex. cherry blues).
    Especially when you have a desk mounted microphone instead of head set.

Offline Altis

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 18:18:16 »

This is correct, but you should consider fatigue. I experience a fair bit of discomfort gaming with 55g Topre that I don't get at all on MX Brown.

I also find certain keyboards make me prone to press adjacent keys accidentally, which every now and again can cause a problem in a game.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 19:17:03 »
Personally, I found gaming on reds much less enjoyable than gaming on browns, blues, clears and novatouch topre. But then again, I hated them for typing too. I just can't stand linear switches for whatever reason.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Kaiteokid

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 23:10:08 »

Depends on the game I guess, if mis-clicks could have dire costs, blue's could be better, but if you're just spamming wasd like a buffoon, red's are probably better

I get all the switches, but I still don't get browns, they seem very irritating to me, they're like reds that have something stuck in them
if you mis click. its not the switches. its the "so-called gamer's" fault for being a bad gamer. lolz.
pretty sure If im already good at a game. a ****ty keyboard wouldn't make me a ****ty player.
Just saying. switches don't enhance or decline a person's gameplay.
not the slightest.

Offline maddingo

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 00:52:04 »
who knows??   i think it is just personal preference... I have had a MX-Brown WASD V1 and a Rosewill RK-9000RE (red) for 2.5~years I find both enjoyable for gaming.. I just got a Filco TKL MT2 (mx-red) I like it for gaming and typing.

I personally have no issues with accidentally key-presses with my fingers resting on the keys... but other may??? I don't know, I personally just think it is a matter of what a given person prefers.  I really don't understand people that insist whatever switch type they like is right and insist others must be crazy if they like something else... there is no right or wrong choice there is just a choice for what you like.

lol... ok pretty funny I did accidentally start hitting the "D" key while typing that..maybe I was thinking about it too much or something ..really the first time (just about) with either of my MX-RED keyboards.

Offline Kaiteokid

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:04:22 »
who knows??   i think it is just personal preference... I have had a MX-Brown WASD V1 and a Rosewill RK-9000RE (red) for 2.5~years I find both enjoyable for gaming.. I just got a Filco TKL MT2 (mx-red) I like it for gaming and typing.

I personally have no issues with accidentally key-presses with my fingers resting on the keys... but other may??? I don't know, I personally just think it is a matter of what a given person prefers.  I really don't understand people that insist whatever switch type they like is right and insist others must be crazy if they like something else... there is no right or wrong choice there is just a choice for what you like.

lol... ok pretty funny I did accidentally start hitting the "D" key while typing that..maybe I was thinking about it too much or something ..really the first time (just about) with either of my MX-RED keyboards.
I'd smoke you in CS GO any day using a 2$ membrane chiclet keyboard made by apple while you can use the best mech board money will buy.
If switches truly matter than, u can be the worlds best gamer buy buying your best switch within your preferences right?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:22:35 »
I'd smoke you in CS GO any day using a 2$ membrane chiclet keyboard made by apple while you can use the best mech board money will buy.
If switches truly matter than, u can be the worlds best gamer buy buying your best switch within your preferences right?

I can use a $5 soldering iron to do electronics work but it sure makes life easier to use a professional iron. Same goes for any tool, keyboards included.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 09:46:32 »

Try convincing the folks over at the overclockers.net forums of that.  :)) :)) :))

The things people over there complain about to believe how much "better gamers" they'd be if so-and-so products had so-and-so features.  :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 10:18:43 »
Depends on who you talk to. I rarely see it on OCN.

Offline MellowFellow

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:46:25 »
There's no switch out there, that'll make someone a better gamer.
Fact.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:54:29 »
The model F switch will definitely make you a better gamer.

There's 2 reasons for that:

1: It's the best switch. Fact.

2: It comes with a keyboard made to intimidate your opponent with it's heavy metal plate. Some models even go for full stainless steel case and some are made to be an aircraft carrier. Fact.

No one can challenge these facts since they are facts.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 07:54:38 »
Fact.
Not even RGB ones?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:47:17 »
Fact.
What, ALL switches in existence work IDENTICALLY WELL for EVERY SINGLE GAMER EVER? :p

That's almost a dictatorial statement :p . Sorry mate, but get serious :p .