Author Topic: Need posture help please  (Read 5231 times)

Offline typo

Need posture help please
« on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:55:57 »
I have not moved anything. I am sitting in an embody. I am looking at an Eizo on a Vesa mount. Same for about 9 months. All of the sudden my nec and back are completely jacked. I have no idea what is going wrong? What would you guy's adjust. i mean there are so many possibilities of things I could adjust here I do not want to make it worse. Oh, the Topre keyboard and Elecom trackball are in a HumanScale tray. That has not been adjusted at all recently either. The chair has not been moved or anything. I do not understand whay this is happening. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Offline Findecanor

Re: Need posture help please
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 11:02:16 »
I have never had as much back pain as when I was using a super-adjustable "ergo" chair. Too many options for adjusting it - adjusting it the wrong way.
I have also had problems with my forearms being in the same position for too long, after periods of not getting enough exercise.

In my experience/opinion:
* Lean back ... or use something like a backless kneeling chair where your back is in balance or use a sit/stand desk. Your posture should feel natural and comfortable, not "straight".
* Sit high enough. Your forearms should be horizontal or reach down.
* Exercise regularly. The important part is to move your muscles and your joints, not do anything straining.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 17:44:59 »
Actually this chair has like 3 adjustments. Body Bilt are the brand of chairs you do not want. great chairs but must be adjusted by a Chiropractor.  You are supposed to recline in it and I am not. I have sit/stand and failing to stand now. Freaking motorized yet. I did actually lower the chair. I think you just discovered the entire problem. Thank you a whole lot! This is called being very lazy. I have the best equipment and I am defeating it on purpose, Duh. I honestly did not realize I was doing all of that until you put it all together. Being lazy is easy and in a few months you pay a price for it. I just realized I am looking up over a foot and a half at the displays. I get the Bozo of the year award. Other people can reply but canor just solved the problem. Good one!

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 14:59:55 »
I can only emphasize the point about exercise. In those times when I exercise enough, even the ****tiest office chair can't hurt me, but in times like these, when I'm lazy and sedentary, even the most ergo setup wouldn't really help that much.

Offline Kaidesk_Lee

• * Vendor
    • Kaidesk
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 15:26:32 »
I strained a disc in my lower back a couple of years ago by sitting at my desk for years with poor posture. I'm not an expert at all but this is what I've learned since then: It happens because poor posture puts too much strain on the bones and ligaments of the back, and gradually leads to weakening of the core muscles which you should be using to hold yourself upright. Then maybe one night you sleep in the wrong position, or lift a box the wrong way which is just enough to push you over the edge, and suddenly you have chronic back pain.

Among other things, good posture requires that you constantly engage your core (flex your stomach muscles). It feels weird at first, and takes a lot of effort. But you don't need to force yourself to do it for long before it becomes a habit.

I suggest that you prioritise regular exercise to counteract bad posture. Humans are just not designed to sit down for hours on end, so while it's important to find a good ergonomic setup, regular exercise is the only long term solution.

Two resources I can highly recommend for this are r/bodyweightfitness on Reddit, and the Athlean-X YouTube channel. Both have plenty of exercises that require zero or minimal equipment like a pull up bar.

If it gets worse though, paying for one session with a physiotherapist or chiropractor can be worth it, especially if you ask them to show you which exercises would help you specifically.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 04:55:19 »
I am fit. This was something completely different. Someone put one of the displays higher. I was just straining to look up at it. It has since been leveled with the other displays and no further problems. I really did not know what was going on at first.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 12:07:40 »
Standing Desk,  minimize sitting when possible.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 01:40:48 »
I just wanted to give an update on this. Somehow, I ended up both sitting and standing too close to 4 large displays that are highly color accurate. This was enough to completely misaligned my spine. A Hermam Miller Tech figured it out. I do not know how I migrated closer. Not to mention the possible long term damage there would have been to my eyes. That I count on. All is just fine now. I sit, stand and exercise as I should. Off work I exercise seriously. I am not trying to brag but I am ripped and I do not touch drugs ever.

It was an odd mistake. Not a bad habit or poor posture. I originally thought a display was higher because I was on top of the darn thing. I have no clue how I brought myself in closer. My eyes are not bad. I just had them checked. This is truly strange. I do not think I will ever know why it happened. Although I will be careful as to make sure that it never happens again. You folks would have had no way of knowing this. I am just glad it is resolved. I wanted to let you guys know what the situation was just to end this thread. TP, in general you are correct as usual. It will go a long way for the back to stand as much as possible. Although if one must sit, you cannot beat the Embody. For most people I would pick it above all else. The price could be an issue for many. I appreciate everyone that tried to help.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:53:11 »
It was an odd mistake. Not a bad habit or poor posture. I originally thought a display was higher because I was on top of the darn thing. I have no clue how I brought myself in closer. My eyes are not bad. I just had them checked. This is truly strange. I do not think I will ever know why it happened.
This could have been prevented fairly easily by checking monitor distance when you come on your pc for the first time of the day. Monitors should generally be around an arms length away. What advice did the Herman Miller ppl give?

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 21:59:19 »
The office has a wood floor. they put a little dot where I am supposed to go. I kind of feel like a real idiot. they got paid plenty so I doubt they care at all. I am known for making stupid mistakes. these monitors need to be a little further because I think they are 32 or 40 inches.  they are connected to the table so they go up and down with it. This is not my stuff. This computing equipment is a fortune. Herman miller also adjusted the Embody. It was close already. 

Offline wolverine92

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 19:36:05 »
I have really debated getting a kneeling chair. Anyone had success with them and which brand?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 02:19:37 »
One thing worth noting: the most comfortable from a neck and eyestrain perspective is to put the top edge of your display roughly at eye level, or at most slightly above (how low you can put the display obviously depends on desk/display size, but try to get the bottom edge of a large display down to table level if possible). People often put the center of their display at eye level, but this encourages tipping the head back and slouching, and makes it harder for the eyes to focus and converge when looking at the upper part of the display.

Push your display as far away from your face as practical/comfortable for your furniture and activities (1 meter? 1.5 meters?), move it relatively low in your field of vision, and tilt it away at the top / toward you at the bottom, so that the plane of the display is aimed toward your face – not vertically plumb. Look at the lower part of the display by turning your eyes, but not tipping your head down. (Human eyes have evolved to focus and converge closer when the eyes swivel to point down a bit, presumably because looking downward in the wild more often involves looking at stuff up close, e.g. held in the hands, compared to looking straight ahead.) A typical person has no trouble keeping their head straight while looking moderately downward, but tilting the head down will cause neck strain.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 March 2021, 02:33:51 by jacobolus »