Author Topic: Laundry Detergent Shenanigans?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Laundry Detergent Shenanigans?
« on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 13:17:49 »
Posted this is Keebtalk but I thought I'd post here and get TPs take on it:

I do the laundry in the household. I’ve been using Tide Free and Clear detergent for about 15 years now.

Just in the last year I started to notice that the detergent smelled like a dumpster or vomit. I thought I was crazy. When you first get it, the smell is not there. At least with the last bottle I bought. But after a few weeks it starts to get worse.

I thought… weird, i guess they’ve changed something. So I started looking at other brands. Reading reviews and such.

EVERY SINGLE BRAND of unscented detergent, from the cheap to the premium, people are saying the EXCACT same thing. I think it’s probably present in all detergent, but the scented ones mask the smell.

Did they like find out something was causing cancer and quietly replace it? Supply chain issues with common ingredient now using low quality product to substitute???

So strange. I’m actually looking into making my own detergent today.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Laundry Detergent Shenanigans?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 13:57:33 »
If you are talking about liquid laundry detergent, I haven't used that in 30 years so I am not qualified to answer.

But when we had kids we knew that we needed something that would not have any ill effect on baby skin, and quickly settled on "Charlie's Soap" (or the "365" brand equivalent) in powder form and that is what I have used ever since with no problems. It is also possible to use considerably less than the recommended scoop if you have reasonably soft water.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 13:59:15 »
Yes, liquid is what I use.  Mostly b/c almost al US machines are "High Efficiency" and tell you to use it.  Maybe I could try powder.  I guess just add it to the bottom of the wash like you used to in the old days?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 14:15:24 »
Yes, liquid is what I use.  Mostly b/c almost al US machines are "High Efficiency" and tell you to use it.  Maybe I could try powder.  I guess just add it to the bottom of the wash like you used to in the old days?

The liquid is for rich peeps pixelpusher.

Tp4 is a p00r. Tp4 only uses the powder. No sour garbage smell.

Don't worry about the machine, Tp4 bought his washing machine brand new, it's been years, it's fine.  Do the extra rinse if you feel it's not coming out.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 14:31:21 »

just add it to the bottom of the wash

Ha Ha Ha - I put in the clothes and toss the soap on top of them.

I suppose that fancy new machines like to get the clothes wet first and then sluice the soap into the mix after it has been going for a bit. That is probably better.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 14:37:09 »
I just checked, they don't see the unscented Tide in powder form in my town.  I'll have to order it from Amazon.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 16:20:13 »
We have unscented liquid soap in the lab. It smells like corpses.

You can make soap out of corpses, actually.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 17:00:50 »

Welp.  I think we just solved the mystery of where all the covid corpses went to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 17:16:01 »

Welp.  I think we just solved the mystery of where all the covid corpses went to.

Fight Club, let's do this !!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 17:53:10 »

I'll have to order it from Amazon.

You have kids, don't you? Go to Whole Foods and get some Charlie's Soap or 365 and you will all feel better. It will cost $12-$15 but you will get at least 100 loads.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 01:42:16 »
Gain Flings have never let me down! Pods4Eva

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:16:52 »
Using Charlie's Soap.  So far so good.  Seems to do it's job.  Doesn't stink.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:18:23 »

I'll have to order it from Amazon.

You have kids, don't you? Go to Whole Foods and get some Charlie's Soap or 365 and you will all feel better. It will cost $12-$15 but you will get at least 100 loads.

What specifically on "Feel", are we looking for, willing to try it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:31:32 »

specifically on "Feel"

Personally, I sometimes get itchy skin and so pure, no-additive cleaning products are a big deal for me.

But my kids, from babies on, never had problems with irritation or rashes (beyond the obvious) and there was never any detergent smell - another big plus for me.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:35:11 »
Yeah, the no smell has always been a big thing for me.  I think detergent and fabric softener perfume is like cigarette smoke.  Once you get away from it, the smell makes you almost nauseous.  It's overpowering.  I've been using unscented detergent for 2 decades.  Charlie's does have a smell but it's not strong and it somehow smells "clean" and not perfumed.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 10:58:12 »

does have a smell but it's not strong

There are VERY few things actually have no smell at all, and if they have no smell they are probably essentially inert - not a realistic quality for a cleaning product.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 11:01:46 »
Yes, that makes sense.  But the "unscented" Tide has a smell as well.  A smell of hot garbage and vomit.  :)  I'll take Charlie's Soap smell over that any day.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 03:24:45 »
Honestly the few unscented soaps I've had were all terrible, including that lab stuff (the latter also has the disadvantage of having the texture of slime). A while ago I changed from buying the cheapest hand soap to one that's one price class higher. It is the most aggressively scented lavender soap I've ever come across and I actually really like it xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 03:31:09 »
Does anyone here use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets? Also curious if anyone pretreats, or just huck it all in at once?

Also, what cycle do you use? I'm delicate cycle all the way, as clothes just seem to last longer and get just as clean.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 06:27:18 »
I never use fabric softener, afaik it clogs up the machine then it begins to smell then have to buy another product to clean the machine. Just more unnecessary marketing bs. Maybe just lucky here the water isn’t so hard as to make sandpaper towels. ;D
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 08:01:54 »

Does anyone here use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets? Also curious if anyone pretreats, or just huck it all in at once?

Absolutely not!

A cheap and effective pretreatment is Fels-Naptha, it looks like a bar of soap. You wet the fabric and rub the bar on it before it goes in the wash.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 08:33:10 »
The dryer sheets work gud' but /Chemicals.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 12:18:50 »
I have never used softener in the washer.  I do use one unscented dyer sheet to keep down the static.  I don't know if "stiffness" of clothes has to do with the water chemistry or not, but my clothes have been fairly soft.  I recently tried a load with Charlie's Soap and some Borax washing powder and the clothes came out incredibly soft and not perfumy at all.  I was pleased