Author Topic: Removing Center Post / stand off in Aluminum Case  (Read 6976 times)

Offline WheresTheSNES

Removing Center Post / stand off in Aluminum Case
« on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:32:00 »
I have decided to bite the bullet and mod my KBD 5 degree case to accommodate my hot swap PCB by getting rid of the center post / stand off to make room for the kailh socket and/or diode that is currently running into it when i attempt to mount it.

One method that has been suggested to me is to use a hammer, as aluminum is relatively soft and can be chipped away?

Anybody have any experience with this, or suggest a different method?  I don't have access to major tools but wouldn't be opposed to buying like a dremmel or drill if it made the process easier with better results. 

Offline WheresTheSNES

Re: Removing Center Post / stand off in Aluminum Case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 19:10:41 »
Seems like Dremel 3000 + 199 single cut steel wheel would work, per this youtube video (skip to 5:54)

https://youtu.be/ZA3HDDOOY9A

I'd really rather not shell out for a Dremel, but it seems like it would work pretty well for sawing off an aluminum post.

Anybody got any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 September 2018, 19:13:20 by WheresTheSNES »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 19:42:21 »
A hammer?
Aluminum does not like to bend and work hardens extremely fast, do not hammer it unless you want to do serious damage to it. Even under the best of circumstances there is a good chance you will rip a hole in the bottom of the case by knocking it off.

Grind or cut it off.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 19:48:53 »
A hammer?
Aluminum does not like to bend and work hardens extremely fast, do not hammer it unless you want to do serious damage to it. Even under the best of circumstances there is a good chance you will rip a hole in the bottom of the case by knocking it off.

Grind or cut it off.

Yeah seems like metal saw on a rotary tool is my best bet.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 08:35:14 »
I read about this recently since I've been looking at hotswap 60% boards. Both the new unreleased KBDfans board and the 1up board have this issue. Honestly I think it's better to wait for a better PCB design rather than damage the case, but it's up to you. It actually bothers me that 1up released the board anyway knowing it has this problem. The sockets in my 60% hotswap board don't interfere with the center post though they are likely less durable than the Kailh sockets. Using a MA60 v2.1.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 08:58:14 »
I did it a few weeks ago with a drill press. Just choose a large enough bit to get the whole post in one go and try not to go down too far.

I did this to see if it would feel better as a tray mount like the original duck poker. my 2 cents is that is doesn't change a thing in terms of flex/keyfeel.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 09:04:46 »
I think the additional flex would be more noticeable on a hotswap board as the switches are not soldered in. That said it probably wouldn't be very noticeable when actually typing unless you're pressing extra hard to try to notice the flex. Perhaps heavy enough switches would also make it more noticeable. I tend to use light switches myself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 10:49:17 »
Yea, drill press will work fine..

If you use a high quality BARE carbide bit, it will even look intentional.

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 10:52:22 »
I did it a few weeks ago with a drill press. Just choose a large enough bit to get the whole post in one go and try not to go down too far.

I did this to see if it would feel better as a tray mount like the original duck poker. my 2 cents is that is doesn't change a thing in terms of flex/keyfeel.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.  That would totally work.  The only thing I really have access to is hand power tools unfortunately.  So right now I'm between a rotary/Dremel saw or trying to drill it with a hand drill.  I imagine the drill might be a little dangerous.  I can clamp it to the table at least though.

I'm glad you don't think it affects the flex.  I did not anticipate it making much of a difference. 

I read about this recently since I've been looking at hotswap 60% boards. Both the new unreleased KBDfans board and the 1up board have this issue. Honestly I think it's better to wait for a better PCB design rather than damage the case, but it's up to you. It actually bothers me that 1up released the board anyway knowing it has this problem. The sockets in my 60% hotswap board don't interfere with the center post though they are likely less durable than the Kailh sockets. Using a MA60 v2.1.

Yeah, I also find it very frustrating.  I think both companies are trying to find a solution to make it compatible with existing standard cases.  The Kailh socket just gets right in the way.  I guess if you didn't care about LEDs (which I don't, really), you could make the G key south facing LED and H north facing LED (or no LED) and I think that would make room for the post. (basically you'd install the G key upside down from the rest).  I've never designed a keyboard PCB but seems like that should be possible.

However, I am glad they put out an affordable hotswap PCB in the meantime.  It's not 100% compatible with standard cases right now, but if you're willing to mod your case you've got a pretty sweet board that lets you try out switches without buying a totally new board.  I believe they are continuing to work on the design to try and get around the issue.  But I am definitely disappointed it's not solved yet. 

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 12:27:36 »
Yeah, I would also use a drill, just larger than the post you are trying to remove. The existing bolt hole in the post should help guide the drill down.
I think you could do it with a hand drill if you just clamp the case to your workbench and go slow and steady.
Then you could use a Dremel routing bit for the last finishing touches.

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 15:37:54 »
Yeah, I would also use a drill, just larger than the post you are trying to remove. The existing bolt hole in the post should help guide the drill down.
I think you could do it with a hand drill if you just clamp the case to your workbench and go slow and steady.

Cool.  Yeah, I think I'm going to go for it.  I'll video/photo the results.  If by workbench you mean kitchen table and by finishing touches you mean leaving it however it is because I don't want to buy a Dremel, then yes!  :p

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 17:14:30 »
No-one will see it under the PCB so finishing is optional :thumb:

I try to do any dodgy things involving cutting/grinding outside if possible, you don't want small sharp bits of metal in your food!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:05:11 »

Drill press will give you a better finish vs a dremel,  unless you have one of those dremel mounts that go straight down. which is essentially turning a dremel into a drill press.

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 06:45:51 »
Well, I'll start with the good news.  It was refreshingly easy to drill down the center post using my extremely underpowered 7.2V Black and Decker battery-powered hand drill.  Also good news, I would say that removing the center post has practically no effect on the flex of the board IMHO YMMV.  I did manage to get the whole board together at one point to test this out before the fatal comedy or errors (see BAD news below).  There IS flex in the lower left corner of the board.  However, this was an inherent problem with the KBD 5 degree case to begin with because there is no support post there, and has nothing to do with modding the case or the 1UP HSE PCB. 

The BAD news is that I thought I over-lubed the stabilizers because my space bar was gummy/mushy.  I actually had it all together and aligned nicely and then I realized I had to take it apart and fix the stabs.  Also you have to press the reset button to program it, (which I didn't realize there was a hole for that at the bottom of the case), so these two factors convinced me to take the whole thing apart again.  When I got the thing apart, I realized I could have just pressed the reset button with it together, and my stabs started magically working totally fine.

Then when I was putting it back together and snapping in the switches, somehow I think one or two of them were unaligned, so there was a lot of pressure between the plate and the PCB, and I somehow managed to punch-out one of the kailh sockets.  So now I have a soldering project on my hands.   HA HA HA HA HA, THIS IS SUCH A FUN AND EASY HOBBY!

Pics:

I just clamped it to the kitchen table and went for it.  I ended up having to use a 5/16" bit, I believe, at the very end, because at first I used a much smaller bit and ended up just coring out the center post because the bit wasn't big enough.

You can see about how much mess it made in the attached photos, and then how it looked in the end.  Aluminum bits didn't go flying everywhere, as I had prepared for (safety goggles, cardboard barrier, and no-cut gloves on).  You can see where I missed once with the drill and scratched up next to the hole a little bit, but again, it doesn't matter because it's all under the PCB. 

204267-0

204269-1

204271-2

204273-3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 08:32:36 »
Ur next purchase..

Get the Compact XR..   don't get the MAX.. the XR has better internals and chuck..

Make sure you get the compact, because the bigger full size drill is too unwieldy for small tasks around the house.

204283-0