Author Topic: you know you are a geek when...  (Read 44008 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: you know you are a geek when...
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 12:51:21 »
Or just tell them while the vendor is there. What are they going to do?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 12:52:28 »
We are stating that TYPICALLY geeks have a difficult time interacting with the opposite sex. 

Honestly, I think this is more of a stereotype than a real geek criteria.  Plenty of non-geek types have difficulty meeting/dating members of the opposite sex. 

Something geeky would be developing a computer program to optimize dating strategies.   ;D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 12:53:30 »
... you watch a movie filmed in the 1980's that features a computer, and you go frame-by-frame trying to discern what kind of keyboard was used.
For me it's when I go to the store and get the urge to press the keys on the PoS system to see if they are mechanical.
Ok, I'll admit to doing that as well. One day I'm going to walk into a store with really old, vintage keyboards and consider running out the door with one of them.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 12:54:46 »
... you watch a movie filmed in the 1980's that features a computer, and you go frame-by-frame trying to discern what kind of keyboard was used.
For me it's when I go to the store and get the urge to press the keys on the PoS system to see if they are mechanical.
Ok, I'll admit to doing that as well. One day I'm going to walk into a store with really old, vintage keyboards and consider running out the door with one of them.

I was very tempted to walk away with one of the newer black Desko G81-1800s at the airport. But what a reason to be put on the no-fly list...

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:00:49 »
That's true. And I think that there are also several different layers of geek-ness. I mean, I can sit and talk about guitar strings for 6+ hours and not be bored, but I also get out there in the real world and meet people. Geeks could meet women if they, you know, left their house more often?

Anyway, I love my women. Err, I mean woman.

I think you guys are forgetting one thing: geeks (typically) have very low self-confidence, and even if they do get out of the house, would not have the courage to walk up to some chick they don't know and strike up a conversation. Just because that's not true for you doesn't give you the right to bash other people because that's who they are.

I didn't intend to bash anyone, and I'm aware that it's a self-confidence/courage issue - which can only however be solved by going out more and interacting with others. And not about just keyboards and RAM.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:01:02 »

I was very tempted to walk away with one of the newer black Desko G81-1800s at the airport. But what a reason to be put on the no-fly list...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:04:40 »

Show Image

Old:

New:

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:05:16 »
That's true. And I think that there are also several different layers of geek-ness. I mean, I can sit and talk about guitar strings for 6+ hours and not be bored, but I also get out there in the real world and meet people. Geeks could meet women if they, you know, left their house more often?

I think you guys are forgetting one thing: geeks (typically) have very low self-confidence, and even if they do get out of the house, would not have the courage to walk up to some chick they don't know and strike up a conversation. Just because that's not true for you doesn't give you the right to bash other people because that's who they are.

I didn't intend to bash anyone, and I'm aware that it's a self-confidence/courage issue - which can only however be solved by going out more and interacting with others. And not about just keyboards and RAM.

Fair enough.  Maybe it's just me then... (which is a distinct possibility).

Sometimes I question my sanity...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:06:02 »

Show Image

Old:
Show Image

New:
Show Image

btw, desko 1800s never use MY, they use blacks instead.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:07:44 »
Are you sure? I remember seeing one for sale somewhere, likely on eBay, and it was either MY or someone said it was.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:14:35 »

I don't think the ability to get tail has anything to do with being a geek...

The largest dissonance in the initiation of male / female relationships is physical...

The average geek, with less experience most often aim well out of their range...

You can hang with faith hill all you want on the internet, in real life, that just won't happen.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:19:35 »
ITT: People trying hard to be considered geeks.

Geek is now cool.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:27:10 »

Geek is now cool.

Given the "crowd" being king geek would be cool.. but only "here".

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:31:45 »

Geek is now cool.

doubt it. "king geeks" would be people like bill nye or similar.

not dudes that can't get girlfriends because they think their hobby is holding them back.

protip, it's not. lack of social skills and probably ugly. source: me

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:34:01 »

You're only ugly on the inside....

you should do fine

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:36:27 »

Geek is now cool.

not dudes that can't get girlfriends because they think their hobby is holding them back.

That was pretty much exactly what I was aiming at when I was opposing certain things being said.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:41:58 »
This thread turned from "funny definitions of: geek" to "depressing realization about my non-existent social life".

Yeah, cuz that's gonna help my self-confidence...

^*sarcasm*
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:42:56 »

Geek is now cool.

That was pretty much exactly what I was aiming at when I was opposing certain things being said.

for being so called geeks, a lot of GHers need to have their hand held or spoon fed certain things

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:43:33 »
Wouldn't it be considered "geeky" to argue the semantics of being a "geek"?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:59:03 »

Geek is now cool.

for being so called geeks, a lot of GHers need to have their hand held or spoon fed certain things

Some of the Geeks may be younger, so they wouldn't be as adept at google research...

Also, being ugly is NOT a problem, as long as your target is within range of your own physical attributes...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:59:56 »
Wouldn't it be considered "geeky" to argue the semantics of being a "geek"?

Absolutely not, everyone argues the semantics related to their interest...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:02:36 »
My interest is arguing.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:03:16 »

Geek is now cool.

Some of the Geeks may be younger, so they wouldn't be as adept at google research...

that's a BS excuse. if anybody, the younger kids should know better. and that all info is on google, be it right or wrong.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:08:50 »

Geek is now cool.

that's a BS excuse. if anybody, the younger kids should know better. and that all info is on google, be it right or wrong.

no dude, younger kids may have "access" to google, but they may not yet be adept at researching... It's a skill that has to be learned, and some may learn it later than others if they were preoccupied with learning other things, like ballet..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:09:50 »
they wont learn it if people continue to hold their hands like they're challenged

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:11:39 »
Here's how this process ACTUALLY works:

Step 1: Google a keyboard-related topic.
Step 2: Get redirected to GeekHack.
Step 3: Join GeekHack.
Step 4: Ask stupid questions you could have found the answers to if you had done a little more research.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:26:51 »
they wont learn it if people continue to hold their hands like they're challenged

That's a lot easier said when you already know the information.  As you can see from currently active threads on GH, the information may be out there, but it helps a lot to get a helping hand to find the way.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:05:26 »

That's a lot easier said when you already know the information.  As you can see from currently active threads on GH, the information may be out there, but it helps a lot to get a helping hand to find the way.

i understand a helping hand, we all weren't born intelligent or with the skills to figure stuff out ourselves. but some people feel entitled and think stuff should be spoon fed to them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:25:46 »

i understand a helping hand, we all weren't born intelligent or with the skills to figure stuff out ourselves. but some people feel entitled and think stuff should be spoon fed to them.

Well, I suppose we should just can the whole "forum" thing... and have a single webpage devoted to recommending the Ergodox and why it's better than everything else...

That would really cut down on research...   

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:27:27 »
The people you talk to the most everyday are people you have never met in real life.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:38:25 »
The people you talk to the most everyday are people you have never met in real life.

Or you work in customer relations?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:41:02 »

LOL that is true. I should have said people who you talk to outside of work.

BTW if you work in customer relations kudos to you man. I've done that and it's definitely not the easiest job.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:53:02 »

LOL that is true. I should have said people who you talk to outside of work.

BTW if you work in customer relations kudos to you man. I've done that and it's definitely not the easiest job.

What if you Supervise people in Customer Relations? I find it more difficult to manage a plumber trying to do Call Center IT work than putting together a computer while blindfolded.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:45:12 »
I can't get laid.

^This, is the unfortunate truth...

Took me almost 5 years to find a gf.

click for  :-\
More
warning, and I'm sorry.

lol why tin

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 21:48:14 »
When on a sunny day you'd rather be inside getting used to the new keyboard.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 22:26:12 »
When you don't like traveling for vacation LOL. You'd rather stay at home on your computer and "relax".

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 22:52:48 »
When that weird yellow ant in a bowler hat keeps taking your earlobes while you sleep and hiding them in the salad bin.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 00:41:47 »
When you don't like traveling for vacation LOL. You'd rather stay at home on your computer and "relax".

oh god yes..... I h8 afk vacations....

packing

walking

excess moisture

standing in lines

slow services

no microwave

How is that ever a vacation....

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 01:01:26 »
You type board, when you mean keyboard.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:34:09 »
You sign up to a forum with geek in the name, buy stickers and T-shirts with the word geek on them, stick the stickers on your favorite things that you bring everywhere, wear the geek shirts out in public and explain what geekhack actually is when people inevitably ask you and then proceed to explain that it's not just regular rubber dome keyboards you like and then explain what a rubber dome keyboard is when they inevitably ask and when they finally stop asking questions, you continue to explaining mechanical keyboards and switches because you can't help yourself and then realize that these people really don't care but you continue because just stopping abruptly would be awkward and the last thing you want to do is come off as both a geek and awkward.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline iri

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:53:38 »
You sign up to a forum with geek in the name, buy stickers and T-shirts with the word geek on them, stick the stickers on your favorite things that you bring everywhere, wear the geek shirts out in public and explain what geekhack actually is when people inevitably ask you and then proceed to explain that it's not just regular rubber dome keyboards you like and then explain what a rubber dome keyboard is when they inevitably ask and when they finally stop asking questions, you continue to explaining mechanical keyboards and switches because you can't help yourself and then realize that these people really don't care but you continue because just stopping abruptly would be awkward and the last thing you want to do is come off as both a geek and awkward.
and then you need professional help.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:58:59 »

^^ avoiding that is precisely the reason I don't go outside.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:52:46 »
Explaining keyboards to others is SOOOOO awkward.,
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:07:01 »

Talking about things you love should never be awkward.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:08:35 »
That's not always necessarily true. Audience plays a factor. But then knowing your audience comes into play as well.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:10:40 »
Gotta work that audience  ;D
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:14:34 »

Talking about things you love should never be awkward.

^This. It's the only time I am actually capable of carrying a conversation...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:15:37 »
That's not always necessarily true. Audience plays a factor. But then knowing your audience comes into play as well.

I wonder if Chix dig' the Ergodox.

To my knowledge Ergodox has only been in the hands of the male-keyboard-elites.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:54:51 »

Show Image

Finally, proof tp doesn't actually own an ergodox.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:18:35 »

Show Image

Finally, proof tp doesn't actually own an ergodox.