Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268664 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3450 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:38:26 »
Costar stabilizers were invented by Satan.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline dante

« Reply #3451 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:00:07 »
I don't understand the fascination for crazy heavy keyboards.

Are you a 400lb Sumo wrestler that keeps bumping your board out of the way while eating your bowl of Chankonabe?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3452 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:04:13 »

Are you a 400lb Sumo wrestler that keeps bumping your board out of the way while eating your bowl of Chankonabe?

I think good rubber feets are more important than heavy boards.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #3453 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:09:01 »

Heavy things usually equal to more quality in most peoples minds. More mass = more resources = more quality = better money spent (im assuming the train of though).

Personally I like keyboards that are not super heavy but just right. I do think that overly heavy feels better than overly light keyboard (in my opinion).
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3454 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:27:01 »
Careful what you hate on, sooner or later you'll probably have one.

Offline dante

« Reply #3455 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:35:57 »
Heavy things usually equal to more quality in most peoples minds. More mass = more resources = more quality = better money spent

Coming from a cycling background I think the opposite: The heavier it is the cheaper less quality material used. (ie: Hi-Ten Steel vs. Titanium/Carbon)

I don't doubt this at all.  I'm revisiting boards and switches I thought I would never touch again.  Also I flip flop between 60%/80%/100% all the time.

Mostly I think this is just getting bored with typing on the same keyboard day in day out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3456 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:36:31 »

Tp4 will never buy another topre..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3457 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:41:29 »

why u don't like topre? coz of inconsistent quality?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3458 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:47:24 »

Way back when I started on this journey.. everyone was like Topre, God-tier keyboard..

Then I bought an 87u..  and instantly recognized that i've been mislead by hipster weeb-hype..

Deep down, do I harbor some resentment against topre and its users..  a little..

But this isn't the first of my purchases to have turned out this way,  and so as part of this community..  I always make sure to offer a more realistic counter-evaluation when I see the Topre-cult jump in with buy buy buy..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3459 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:49:13 »

Way back when I started on this journey.. everyone was like Topre, God-tier keyboard..

Then I bought an 87u..  and instantly recognized that i've been mislead by hipster weeb-hype..

Deep down, do I harbor some resentment against topre and its users..  a little..

But this isn't the first of my purchases to have turned out this way,  and so as part of this community..  I always make sure to offer a more realistic counter-evaluation when I see the Topre-cult jump in with buy buy buy..

good points. solid reasoning. 10/10

but i must say... i like topre for typing. it feels comfortable for long stretches of typing. but to say it's 5000x better than topre, the ultimate "endgame" board. naaah

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #3460 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:15:45 »

That was my experience with cherry mx-blues, the misguided hypeness . Oh God i still shudder from the high pitched clicking, how to: kill your sensitive hearing, annoy your friends, scare your dog, annoy your siblings, etc.

I do think that topre is overhyped by most people though (I don't regret buying it, but not sure it's for everyone). I do think the worst thing people can do though is point a newbie to buy a cheepo chinese topre clone as i personally think it wastes money towards a better keyboard (topre or mx) and they have terrible resale value.

I don't understand how people can use 60% layout do y'all not read ebooks at all or any manga or just life internet things (I need my arrow keys!)?
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3461 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:22:51 »
That was my experience with cherry mx-blues, the misguided hypeness . Oh God i still shudder from the high pitched clicking, how to: kill your sensitive hearing, annoy your friends, scare your dog, annoy your siblings, etc.

There was this blues-hype when I just dived into boards. People said to me that "the clickiness feedback" is what you want, what makes you more "accurate". I never liked the sound, never will. I can see the appeal. But if you want that, just buy buckling springs. get the real deal.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3462 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:46:46 »

There was this blues-hype when I just dived into boards. People said to me that "the clickiness feedback" is what you want, what makes you more "accurate". I never liked the sound, never will. I can see the appeal. But if you want that, just buy buckling springs. get the real deal.

The blues hype is all marketing. It's the idea that if there isn't something distinctly different it's not new. Mechanical is about the quality of the switch, not whether it clicks or not. That's why you see so many cheapo knockoff boards using clone blues, it appeals to people who don't know anything about mechs except that they're loud.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3463 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:48:33 »

The blues hype is all marketing. It's the idea that if there isn't something distinctly different it's not new. Mechanical is about the quality of the switch, not whether it clicks or not. That's why you see so many cheapo knockoff boards using clone blues, it appeals to people who don't know anything about mechs except that they're loud.

Yeah it's almost like people go like "yeah you can hear its quality coz that sound". Like people who are not knowledgeable only think that you know a board is mech if it makes that excessive noise.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3464 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 16:50:35 »
The only thing I like clicky switches for is capturing the impression of typebars hitting the platen of a manual typewriter. For keyboard builds that trying to capture that manual typewriter vibe, clickies seem appropriate to me. I have two boards like this and they are okay with MX blues. However, if I could, I think I would use Kaihua Box Whites instead.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3465 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:00:38 »

Yeah it's almost like people go like "yeah you can hear its quality coz that sound". Like people who are not knowledgeable only think that you know a board is mech if it makes that excessive noise.

For quite awhile I had the same opinion going to Topre...then back to MX Browns for awhile....now I'm using Gateron Blues and loving it again.

I totally get people who are turned off by it though, drives me wife nuts.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3466 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:31:39 »

For quite awhile I had the same opinion going to Topre...then back to MX Browns for awhile....now I'm using Gateron Blues and loving it again.

I DO see the appeal of clicky switches, just not MX Blues. The noise is too high pitched for me. But that's personal taste of course. It sounds flimsy and cheap to me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3467 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:36:28 »

I DO see the appeal of clicky switches, just not MX Blues. The noise is too high pitched for me. But that's personal taste of course. It sounds flimsy and cheap to me.

why u got to be rational..

I was just going to suggest he annoy his wife and requisite secs for lowered annoyance level.. 

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3468 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:39:55 »

Hmm and here personally I don't see a huge sound difference between Cherry/Gateron and Kailh.  Definitely notice it with outemu/Goate though however.

I most definitely notice a feel difference however, Gaterons are so much smoother.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3469 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 01:18:27 »

I do think that topre is overhyped by most people though (I don't regret buying it, but not sure it's for everyone). I do think the worst thing people can do though is point a newbie to buy a cheepo chinese topre clone as i personally think it wastes money towards a better keyboard (topre or mx) and they have terrible resale value.

I don't understand how people can use 60% layout do y'all not read ebooks at all or any manga or just life internet things (I need my arrow keys!)?

I was fortunate with blues.  I went to Fry's and was able to try out blacks, reds, browns, and blues only to realize quickly that I really don't like blues at all.

For Topre, I've yet to try one and see no reason to dump high amounts of money into one without having tried one.  Even then, it's cost-prohibitive and I've got plenty of other things to put that money toward.

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #3470 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:26:33 »
The Leopold 660m is super ugly and looks like they ran out of keys.

Full size keyboards look too big and just look awkward.

I'm bored of seeing photos of HHKBs with at most a couple of keys swapped out for coloured blanks and usually just stock keycaps. Seen one seem them all. And the same goes for model m.

I've never had my sneakers anywhere near my keyboard and don't know why I keep seeing photos of the two together. It a stupid combination. Ones for indoors and ones for outdoors.

Okay I think I'm done.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3471 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 05:04:37 »

Hmm and here personally I don't see a huge sound difference between Cherry/Gateron and Kailh.  Definitely notice it with outemu/Goate though however.

I most definitely notice a feel difference however, Gaterons are so much smoother.

If I would really want clickies, I would go model M or ALPS. That has a more low, bassy sound to it in my opinion.

Offline poq

« Reply #3472 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 10:00:12 »

I'm bored of seeing photos of HHKBs with at most a couple of keys swapped out for coloured blanks and usually just stock keycaps. Seen one seem them all. And the same goes for model m.

I've never had my sneakers anywhere near my keyboard and don't know why I keep seeing photos of the two together. It a stupid combination. Ones for indoors and ones for outdoors.

Okay I think I'm done.

I'm with you on most of these. I can sort of see the appeal of the 660 layout, but the wasted space in the right hand corner,  which I think is probably my  favourite part about that layout in terms of looks, is dumb and the keys that are there aren't used by anyone using a decent text editor. They would be better just being accessed through a function layer (possible using hasu's controller now i think?), and just having a more standard layout.

If I were to buy a full size I'd get something like a 9009 or some other behemoth and make it the centerpiece of my desk, normal full sizes just look to long.

I've never posted a pic of my HHKB because me too, I don't give a **** about the one deformed piece of plastic you put on there.

Shoes are for scale I guess, but my size 13's would be very misleading  :p

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3473 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:21:11 »

Okay I think I'm done.

I'm with you on most of these. I can sort of see the appeal of the 660 layout, but the wasted space in the right hand corner,  which I think is probably my  favourite part about that layout in terms of looks, is dumb and the keys that are there aren't used by anyone using a decent text editor. They would be better just being accessed through a function layer (possible using hasu's controller now i think?), and just having a more standard layout.

If I were to buy a full size I'd get something like a 9009 or some other behemoth and make it the centerpiece of my desk, normal full sizes just look to long.

I've never posted a pic of my HHKB because me too, I don't give a **** about the one deformed piece of plastic you put on there.

Shoes are for scale I guess, but my size 13's would be very misleading  :p

13? You are like little baby!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3474 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:26:15 »
13? You are like little baby!

Show Image

I don't want to know what you think of size 9s :(

660 is nice, got a little artisan corner. I agree with fullsized, but I don't use numpad so maybe that's what it is. Never insult the shoes :(

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3475 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:55:10 »
I think fullsize is a waste even for people who NEED numpads as an external numpad you can move is far more ergonomic and space saving compared to a built in one you can't move at all.  Even at work when I need a numpad I bring a cheap external ones as Fullsize keyboards are truly as outdated and obsolete as the Pager compared to a cellphone IMO.  Anytime someone says they need one I just hear an old person screaming "Get off my lawn you kids!"
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline atarione

« Reply #3476 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:00:57 »
I don't understand why anyone would prefer cherry stabilizers to costar

oh boo hoo.. the keycaps are slightly more hassle to remove / install... wah... at least the costar stabilizers aren't mushy garbage.

also... TKL is the perfect keyboard layout.. get a num pad if you need one sometimes.. anything smaller than TKL 80% is too small and full sized is too big.. TKL is perfect..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3477 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:06:25 »

oh boo hoo.. the keycaps are slightly more hassle to remove / install... wah... at least the costar stabilizers aren't mushy garbage.

also... TKL is the perfect keyboard layout.. get a num pad if you need one sometimes.. anything smaller than TKL 80% is too small and full sized is too big.. TKL is perfect..

Clipped Cherry stabs work great and feel awesome. Hassle free when changing keys.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3478 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:16:31 »

You can fix Cherry stabilizers with minimal skill effort, Costars just continue to suck all around.  They are noisy,PITA to change caps on and rattly as all hell IMO.   

Clipped Cherry = Best of both worlds.

Costar = Settling because too lazy to clip.

I DO 100% Agree about TKL however as obviously noted with an earlier comment.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline zslane

« Reply #3479 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:25:47 »

For me it's the exact opposite. TKL is the most useless layout (for me).

I like having a numpad when sitting at a desktop PC, so full-size is the only layout I will accept for desktop PC use. The only other thing I need a keyboard for is my iPad. TKL is too big for my iPad. TKL is useless...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3480 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:40:54 »

TKLs look the best but are too big, for the amount I use arrow keys having them on another layer is fine and for gaming I just have a dedicated layer with everything I need.

60% with a numpad on the left = the best option
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #3481 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 20:06:28 »

You can fix Cherry stabilizers with minimal skill effort, Costars just continue to suck all around.  They are noisy,PITA to change caps on and rattly as all hell IMO.   

Clipping the stabs stop that mushy feeling at the bottom of the keystroke, right?
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3482 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 22:50:58 »

TKLs look the best but are too big, for the amount I use arrow keys having them on another layer is fine and for gaming I just have a dedicated layer with everything I need.

60% with a numpad on the left = the best option

Honestly I still find layers worthless for most things.  I'd rather just have a dedicated key for something on a larger keyboard than have to rem
I think fullsize is a waste even for people who NEED numpads as an external numpad you can move is far more ergonomic and space saving compared to a built in one you can't move at all.  Even at work when I need a numpad I bring a cheap external ones as Fullsize keyboards are truly as outdated and obsolete as the Pager compared to a cellphone IMO.  Anytime someone says they need one I just hear an old person screaming "Get off my lawn you kids!"

Haven't ever seen the point in getting a separate numpad, really.  A full size is cheaper than a TKL + numpad and has the numpad already in a familiar place.  Full size boards will be the primary keyboard type for a good while to come until you can get PC makers and businesses to make the jump.  Sure, plenty of keyboard enthusiasts will pick up some alternate, smaller, shape but that's a drop in the bucket in terms of keyboard users in the world.  As for me, I wouldn't mind an alternate layout... like a 122 board.

And get off my lawn, dammit.

Offline atarione

« Reply #3483 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 00:38:49 »

yeah.. because I should have to desolder switches on my keyboard (potentially) and void my warranty on a keyboard to make the stabilizers not suck a donkey butt.

fair enough.. I'll keep my filco I think   :D

but yes TKL is the optimal size... pft 100% keyboard or <80% keyboards.. NOPE...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3484 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 05:23:15 »
Hmm… the thing about the size of tenkeyless keyboards… there's a point in that, but the layout itself _is_ dumb.

The "standard" tenkeyless copied from IBM Model M [SSK] has the gaps and keys placed, so that it facilitates typewriter legacy users, and makes functions easy to find for n00bs. Horribly inefficient.

Meanwhile, something like Symbolics' Lisp-machine keyboards or even Kinesis Advantage has more or less the same form factor, but a so much better layout.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #3485 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 08:52:22 »
Topre is god awful

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3486 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 08:54:24 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3487 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 08:55:28 »

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #3488 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:01:28 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

Just got a BT some time ago, so it's 4 as of right now,
Point still stands though.

Topre could be fine if it weren't for the super loud springs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:04:23 by HannahPeach »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3489 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:15:06 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

WATT? Do you even Topre? It's not the springs, it's the upstroke. That is not due to the spring, but the plastic of the cap hitting the plastic of the switch house.

If it were the springs, it would ping. It's not a metal sound, the noise of the topre upstoke is a plastic sound.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #3490 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 09:25:01 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

WATT? Do you even Topre? It's not the springs, it's the upstroke. That is not due to the spring, but the plastic of the cap hitting the plastic of the switch house.

If it were the springs, it would ping. It's not a metal sound, the noise of the topre upstoke is a plastic sound.

I am talking about the springs, not the upstroke.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a5nl4qieeustcv/MOV_0212.mp4?dl=0

Been having this issue on every single topre board that I own.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3491 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:05:44 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

I have never heard / seen that before, thanks.

Still... is that the spring? It also sounds a bit like the rubber is "sticky".

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #3492 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:21:11 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

I have no clue to be honest, lucky for you that you've never had that issue :(

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3493 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:39:54 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

Could you fix it? Did you think of something yet? THIS WORRIES ME MORE THAN IT SHOULD

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3494 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 11:48:48 »
Don't jizz on the keyboard, maybe?

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #3495 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:11:26 »
Topre is god awful

You have 3 hhkbs though

Could you fix it? Did you think of something yet? THIS WORRIES ME MORE THAN IT SHOULD

Never found a way to fix, tinkered around with different topre boards for the better part of a year now.
Kinda frustrating.

Holy **** dawg, you totally got me there

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3496 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 12:13:08 »

THAT'S HOW I LUBE IT OK?

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3497 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 04:09:31 »

Oh god yes. When I'm on /r/MK, I want to see pictures of new, interesting builds, I don't care if someone got another model M for just 10 bucks or found it in their basement. And you can't even filter them out automatically because the title usually is something like "Look what I found!". What I do like is when someone posts a build log of how they restored their greasy vintage board. That is a good resource for others and it can be interesting to see how people approach that and what horrific kinds of critters they find in their boards.

What's even worse, those simple posts get hundreds of upvotes sometimes, and then well-documented build logs get something like 60 and you never even notice them.  :(

It may be the same board, but the photo of it may be beautifully composed.

That's seldom the case, though. But yeah, I can appreciate good photography of a stock board, no harm in that.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3498 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:23:50 »
If you're going to make a Hiragana set, at least make sure you have some sort of JIS alpha support. Even if it's an additional kit... :-[
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3499 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:27:30 »
If you're going to make a Hiragana set, at least make sure you have some sort of JIS alpha support. Even if it's an additional kit... :-[

That's not an opinion, but an unpopular request.  :p :p