Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1269187 times)

Offline jamster

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4300 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 20:03:43 »
Damn, should I take my Realforce and Model Ms off my signature because they miss the whole point of this hobby and this forum?

Also, no Alps!

Well, I did ditch the Omnikey :)

Offline Winrar

« Reply #4301 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 19:09:05 »
This might be unpopular:

Mid-90's Lexmark and IBM-Greenock made Model Ms feel and sound better than IBM-Made 80's-early 90's Model Ms. My 2019 Unicomp Ultra Classic feels and sounds as good as any of my other Model Ms.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4302 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 01:33:43 »
This might be unpopular:

Mid-90's Lexmark and IBM-Greenock made Model Ms feel and sound better than IBM-Made 80's-early 90's Model Ms. My 2019 Unicomp Ultra Classic feels and sounds as good as any of my other Model Ms.

OOOOOWWWWWWWW....... out of all the comments in this thread, this right here is the real deal.

Offline Winrar

« Reply #4303 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 10:01:51 »
This might be unpopular:

OOOOOWWWWWWWW....... out of all the comments in this thread, this right here is the real deal.

Not kidding. My daily driver is an early 1990 unit. I bought it with the full bolt mod and lubed space bar stabilizers and it has a smooth click none of my other Model M's comes close to. But without a bolt mod, 93-onward Model Ms feel clackier and crisper IMO. Same with Unicomps.

Maybe it comes from less worn springs or something like that, but that is how I feel them.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4304 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 19:30:12 »
Browns are the best of the common switch types. (everyone seems to hate on them anymore)

Offline vegs

« Reply #4305 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 17:52:05 »
Unpopular opinion incoming - the community has been moving towards using thicker lubes because it's easy to make even the scratchiest switches sound smooth. At the same time it sacrifices a lot of the original switch feel, whereas thin lube retains it.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4306 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 17:53:46 »
If you need to lube your switches, you chose the wrong switches.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4307 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 18:21:59 »
That's quite the claim

Offline jamster

« Reply #4308 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 03:31:30 »

Wrong! Everything is better with lube.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #4309 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 09:29:58 »

Wrong! Everything is better with lube.

Optoelectricals would like a word with you

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #4310 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 20:43:12 »
I like Realforce boards exactly the way they are and don't feel the need to mod them that much. The build quality on these things really does a good job already in making the board feel quiet enough as it is for me. HHKB on the other hand, amazing board in its own right, but way too loud for night time use, and that's why I can't wait for my silencing rings from KBDFans to get here soon...

I still like a decent scissor switch board, which is why I still have my Logitech K740 that I like to pull out from time to time.

As long as my keyboard doesn't look like a greasy mess, I would not mind having good quality ABS caps.

Even though I'm a light typist, more and more I'm realizing I never liked light linear switches as much as I do with more tactile ones for everyday typing.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline nappis

« Reply #4311 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 06:49:06 »
Key cap base set should only cover TKL nothing more nothing less. It's really annoying that people with some obscure boards feel like designers should include caps just for their layouts.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #4312 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 19:40:17 »
Also - an ideal spacebar should sound like an earthquake, not like bubble wrap.

Speaking of which - unlubed switches sound better than lubed ones.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4313 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 10:49:16 »
Also - an ideal spacebar should sound like an earthquake, not like bubble wrap.

Speaking of which - unlubed switches sound better than lubed ones.

certainly clicky,  but the linear sound more/less the same.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #4314 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 11:00:07 »
Clicky switches are just wrong.
If you need to hear a click to know that the keystroke registered then it's bad.
Just like if your keyboard would bip each time a keystroke register.
Tactility should provide you that info.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ollir_

« Reply #4315 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 00:11:19 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #4316 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 01:11:47 »
If you need to hear a click to know that the keystroke registered then it's bad.

Let me rephrase it: Clicky switches, in a switch that does not need a click as part of the operational design, are an affectation.

That captures all MX-style clicky switches, where the click adds complexity (and frankly sounds like tinny crap) but no function, but the clicks from BS are an integral part of the mechanism (and sound a lot better).

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #4317 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 01:14:01 »
I think you guys are too willing to pay overs for custom keyboards.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4318 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 13:15:14 »
Let me rephrase it: Clicky switches, in a switch that does not need a click as part of the operational design, are an affectation.

That captures all MX-style clicky switches, where the click adds complexity (and frankly sounds like tinny crap) but no function, but the clicks from BS are an integral part of the mechanism (and sound a lot better).

Actually the whole purpose of the original MX blue design was to introduce hysteresis.  The click is a side effect.

Furthermore I have yet to find any tactile switch with tactility as clean and sharp as a good clicky switch.  Box Royals are probably the closest but they have their own issues.  The fact is sharp tactile mechanisms also tend to make noise...

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #4319 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 18:33:37 »
I think you guys are too willing to pay overs for custom keyboards.

p much

Offline frydaja

« Reply #4320 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 10:35:27 »
- From a usability perspective (not customizability), non-standard bottom rows are better than standard. Why would you need a 1.5u Windows key?
- I actually like the el cheapo doubleshots from AliExpress (also known as GMMK stock caps). You still get what you pay for (they're still 1mm thin and have molding marks around the letters), but you still get caps that are better than stock caps on many backlit keyboards and look more "professional" than the other cheap doubleshots. Also you can use them with or without backlighting.
- I post in this thread way too often.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #4321 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 10:54:32 »
Ping in switch springs is great.
Wide-steel click leaf switches in 60% keyboards sound terrible.
Mantis-foot click leaves sound good in small chassis and wide-steel click leaves sound the best in large chassis with a metal mounting plate.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2019, 10:56:44 by abrahamstechnology »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4322 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 21:04:37 »
):(

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4323 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 21:06:03 »

Well, i could say the same for tactility.
If i need to feel a bump that the keystroke registered then it's bad.
Just like if your keyboard would feel a slight bump each time a keystroke would register.
Audible feedback should provide you that info.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4324 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 20:28:20 »
1. Paying over $100 for a Model M is absolutely ridiculous.(Got mine for 30 at VCF East)
2. Cherry MX Reds are the single worst switch I have ever used.

D:

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #4325 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 20:55:29 »

Just like if your keyboard would feel a slight bump each time a keystroke would register.
I don't hate clicky switches, but I think his point is that the audible feedback can feel somewhat redundant. Most clicky switches already provide a good deal of tactility, so the audible feedback may seem unnecessary to some. Also, loud, clicky keyboards' association with a bygone era may contribute to some people's impression of clickiness being antiquated/pointless.

With that said, it's worth considering that for some switches, the mechanism that generates the click is crucial to the how the switch generates tactility. Box clicky switches are a good example. The sharp tactile response of box navies, jades, etc. isn't really replicable in other non-clicky box switches because the click bar is responsible for that tactility. You can make a switch tactile without making it click, but it won't necessarily feel the same way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4326 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 21:25:09 »
I think that a switch should be as silent as possible, except for a tiny sound on actuation that would only be noticeable you yourself and by nobody else in the room.

Offline nappis

« Reply #4327 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 05:36:20 »
- From a usability perspective (not customizability), non-standard bottom rows are better than standard. Why would you need a 1.5u Windows key?

From usability perspective: non-standard bottom rows are bad. Space bar is not centered to the position of your hands (thumbs). Standard bottom row has space bar right: center of the space bar is on line to the gap between G and H keys.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4328 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 05:57:24 »

I don't hate clicky switches, but I think his point is that the audible feedback can feel somewhat redundant. Most clicky switches already provide a good deal of tactility, so the audible feedback may seem unnecessary to some. Also, loud, clicky keyboards' association with a bygone era may contribute to some people's impression of clickiness being antiquated/pointless.

With that said, it's worth considering that for some switches, the mechanism that generates the click is crucial to the how the switch generates tactility. Box clicky switches are a good example. The sharp tactile response of box navies, jades, etc. isn't really replicable in other non-clicky box switches because the click bar is responsible for that tactility. You can make a switch tactile without making it click, but it won't necessarily feel the same way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sintpinty agrees with the "audible switches already have some tactility." She needs more linear clack, however both audible and tactile feedback is preferred .

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #4329 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 06:30:40 »
I don't have many unpopular opinions but I do have one very strong opinion that is keyboard related.

Flipped spacebar is one of the worst things that anyone has ever come up with. It just looks bad. I am a strong believer that if you feel like your spacebar is digging into your thumb, then your wrists are probably too low when you are typing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2019, 06:45:31 by notglacier »
actualglacier on youtube

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4330 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 07:32:33 »
I think that MK's stuff is overpriced and that us as community tend to fuel the overpricing by showing willingness to pay premiums so easily. Artisan's, GMK, Topre, Zeal's stuff and other similar items are good examples. All MK economy is like a deep distortion field. In some instances, people trying to develop low cost things are heavily criticized.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4331 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 07:34:10 »
I don't have many unpopular opinions but I do have one very strong opinion that is keyboard related.

Flipped spacebar is one of the worst things that anyone has ever come up with. It just looks bad. I am a strong believer that if you feel like your spacebar is digging into your thumb, then your wrists are probably too low when you are typing.

I've never been a fan of flipped spacebars either, I think it looks horrendous on a board & like you said if the spacebar is digging into your thumbs get a wrist rest.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #4332 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:47:22 »
I don't like Git Modifiers, and as a developer I would be embarrassed to have them in front of coworkers.

Offline frydaja

« Reply #4333 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 13:02:22 »

From usability perspective: non-standard bottom rows are bad. Space bar is not centered to the position of your hands (thumbs). Standard bottom row has space bar right: center of the space bar is on line to the gap between G and H keys.

Yeah, but unless you have a 2u spacebar, I don't think you would care if the spacebar is centered.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4334 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 14:24:49 »

Absolutely! I personally feel it doesn't have enough coverage for my index finger(which i cover with ) and it's really stiff.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #4335 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 14:34:09 »

That's probably because Cherry profile spacebar is the worst spacebar profile commonly available, so people had to invent this horrible workaround, that's just how bad it is. I have no problems typing on SA or DSA spacebar but can't for the life of me not hit the edge of Cherry spacebar. Long fingers also amplify the problem.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4336 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 19:36:57 »

That's probably because Cherry profile spacebar is the worst spacebar profile commonly available, so people had to invent this horrible workaround, that's just how bad it is. I have no problems typing on SA or DSA spacebar but can't for the life of me not hit the edge of Cherry spacebar. Long fingers also amplify the problem.

G20 spacebar is lit

Offline jamster

« Reply #4337 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 02:15:11 »

I thought it was mostly a fashion statement.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #4338 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 02:26:30 »
The ANSI layout is the ugliest. It wastes a 1.5u key on an alphanum key, but visual symmetry is usually broken anyway because of keycap colors.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #4339 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 02:43:31 »
Super duper shiny brass or pvd coated stuff is really ugly. Sandblast that ****

PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4340 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 15:04:09 »

Flipped spacebar looks weird, and it hurts to type because of how stiff it is. Ow!  :(

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #4341 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:26:46 »

I've never been a fan of flipped spacebars either, I think it looks horrendous on a board & like you said if the spacebar is digging into your thumbs get a wrist rest.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4342 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:34:51 »

dang

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4343 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 02:18:50 »
There is no "home row", it only exists in your mind to rectify your dumb keyboard layout.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #4344 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 02:32:42 »
This may be just me being a neanderthal, but different mounts and metals have no discernable effect on typing feel. I can't tell a difference between aluminium plate tray mount vs brass plate top mount.

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4345 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 02:32:52 »
There is no "home row", it only exists in your mind to rectify your dumb keyboard layout.
Yeah, alright guy

Offline frydaja

« Reply #4346 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 18:31:10 »

Or government-approved typing methods.

Shift-A-S-D is a much better hand position than A-S-D-F, anyways.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #4347 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 16:08:43 »
Now that sounds like an idea. I'm thinking split left shift (ie. ISO key), with A on the left shift key, and SDFG moved one key to the left. Shift could go on left alt maybe. Left CTRL on Caps Lock, of course, like God intended. On the right shift we have ;: and that row is also shifted one key to the right. Spacebar in the middle? Or the layout could just be tented.

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #4348 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 20:40:06 »
Scorpius dome with sliders sound more like Alps SKCM clicky switches than BTC dome with sliders.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #4349 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 12:37:08 »
All artisans look like trash  :rolleyes: