Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1268578 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #6000 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 21:45:38 »
Beige vintage caps are better than granite/charcoal/gray caps

This is correct. However, the question is if they should be ABS-DS, or PBT.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6001 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 13:52:17 »

I'm forced to use PBT. I melt ABS like a mother****er.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6002 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 09:26:36 »

Heavy fingers, pal?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6003 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 09:53:26 »

Heavy fingers, pal?
Yeah :(
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6004 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 10:04:20 »
my unpopular opinion here is that i dont like any keyboard that oesn't have standart mx style switches.
topre-rubber basically a membrane that activates mid travel aalso expensive
alps- heard they have good clickies but they dont work for standard pcbs now and are hard to get and im talking about original ones
buckling spring- heard that original ibm keyboards are pretty expensive also old and only clicky not removable too
other strange old switches -no
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6005 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 10:49:53 »
my unpopular opinion here is that i dont like any keyboard that oesn't have standart mx style switches.
alps- heard they have good clickies but they dont work for standard pcbs now and are hard to get and im talking about original ones
buckling spring- heard that original ibm keyboards are pretty expensive also old and only clicky not removable too

I share your opinion fully; yet, it may not be an unpopular one, after all.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6006 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 11:23:00 »
Don't discount Alps tactiles. The clickies are very nice, but the tactiles are also very neato as well. I used to think that ALPS were hard to find as well, but really all you need to do is spend some time on the deskthority wiki and ebay/craigslist and you can find some really good deals. I assume you're newer to this hobby so I'll say this, it's the best advice I ever got. "Don't form an opinion on something until you've tried it."
I used to think that Mitsumi Mini Mechs were complete dog**** until I tried them for myself. They're not great mind you, but for something that can be used on a modern PC extremely easily and is incredibly cheap they're very nice (Plus they take MX caps).
Try to find some meetups nearby you or maybe organize a small one yourself in order to try some interesting switches without spending the cash! Best of luck man.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6007 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 11:24:17 »
Oh and most importantly, take every switch opinion with a pinch of salt. I used to take people like Chyros' videos as gospel until I started trying more vintage switches myself.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6008 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 12:18:12 »
Don't discount Alps tactiles. The clickies are very nice, but the tactiles are also very neato as well. I used to think that ALPS were hard to find as well, but really all you need to do is spend some time on the deskthority wiki and ebay/craigslist and you can find some really good deals. I assume you're newer to this hobby so I'll say this, it's the best advice I ever got. "Don't form an opinion on something until you've tried it."
I used to think that Mitsumi Mini Mechs were complete dog**** until I tried them for myself. They're not great mind you, but for something that can be used on a modern PC extremely easily and is incredibly cheap they're very nice (Plus they take MX caps).
Try to find some meetups nearby you or maybe organize a small one yourself in order to try some interesting switches without spending the cash! Best of luck man.
i wanted to type about that i haven't tried any of these switches but im on kindle (don't ask why) so i coluldn't continue writing where i wanted. maybe there waas something about alps tactiles but i just forgot
i overall think that alps are the best out of these vintage switches
just mx style switches but  not compatible and they are sometimes nicer even

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6009 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 17:36:14 »
i wanted to type about that i haven't tried any of these switches but im on kindle (don't ask why) so i coluldn't continue writing where i wanted. maybe there waas something about alps tactiles but i just forgot
So you're saying you've never tried any of these switches, but you've already formed an opinion on them...
All I'm saying is to reserve judgement until you actually try some of them for yourself. Don't take this the wrong way but are you young, or is English not your native language? I'm just having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say here.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6010 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 09:16:37 »
So you're saying you've never tried any of these switches, but you've already formed an opinion on them...
All I'm saying is to reserve judgement until you actually try some of them for yourself. Don't take this the wrong way but are you young, or is English not your native language? I'm just having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say here.
well yes i think im just like that. i like making opinions without trying it.
both im 15 and my native language isn't english, ill try checking what
i am writing

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6011 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 13:46:21 »

MX's proliferation can objectively be attributed to only two things: long-term reliability (for the cost and size), and a significant historical market share of the industrial and POS markets that weathered the rubber dome apocalypse while its competitors either folded or left the market space.

MX is not the standard today for any other significant reason. If those are the only reasons that we, as enthusiasts, settle for MX ... then the standard needs to change. I don't think you'll find a majority of people who would try something like Alps (in good shape) and go right back to their MX browns, etc, if not for their compulsive obsession to customize everything. The very fact that that is the case is also the only reason that it remains so.

There are some very good dome-with-slider boards that come very close to Topre. I'm told there are even some good modern "memchanical" boards. Topre and Niz boards are worth the cost though if you like tactile switches. Try them.

In addition to what CaesarAZealad has already deftly said, and what I have addressed above, look into Zeal's new Clickiez switches. I have them in one board and ordered a few hundred more based on my impressions. I like them more than Kaihua's box switches and those were the only MX compatibles I could stand anymore previously. They can compete with Alps (to my preference). They are extremely stiff in the tactile configuration though. Maybe they'll make something more ... normal down the road for the tactile fans.

Unless somebody doesn't know what they have, have too many of them, or wants to spark a fire in someone new, the Models F are expensive ... yes. Standard Model Ms haven't really changed significantly in value in years and Unicomp still makes their own variants to this day for a reasonable price. I don't like membrane buckling spring at all anyway, but to each their own. Capacitive buckling spring is worth the price, and Ellipse should still be selling reproduction 4704 IBM boards ... they are worth every penny.

Why not? The weird/obscure ones are the ones you're most likely to get for a reasonable price. NEC blue ovals are fantastic clicky switches, and you're more likely to find a good dome with slider board than a bad one. I would take any of those over anything MX myself.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6012 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 05:56:13 »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2022, 05:00:29 by PlayBox »

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #6013 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 00:17:47 »
if you would give me a 300$ keyboard and a 100$ keyboard with same keycaps and switches in a blind test i would propably choose the 100$ one

lmfao that literally makes no sense. What is youre logic?

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #6014 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 12:09:32 »
VIA is a bad program and the community really needs to start using VIAL instead. It's properly open sourced, has a better interface, offers significantly more options of what you can do with it including key combos, tap dance, key overrides, directly controlling lighting, and controlling encoders. VIA offers none of this in a clunkier interface that doesn't load as well.

With improving microcontrollers that offer more power (such as blackpill), more designs integrating encoders, and a growing trend towards compact boards where functions such as combos offer a significantly improved workflow and a whole new world of options, VIA is an inexcusably outdated interface that really ought to be left behind for the overwhelming majority of boards.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6015 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 17:28:25 »

This might actually be a popular opinion, but I've received my first two group buys and I have to say that I'm extremely underwhelmed by how far the colors turned out compared to both renders and pre-production samples.  I was hoping photos of actual samples would be a better bet, but that was a false hope. 

All is not lost, because in-stock sets I've bought have actually been pretty good, and I have the feeling that with one exception I have more confidence in the other group buys I bought into. 

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #6016 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 18:54:54 »

This might actually be a popular opinion, but I've received my first two group buys and I have to say that I'm extremely underwhelmed by how far the colors turned out compared to both renders and pre-production samples.  I was hoping photos of actual samples would be a better bet, but that was a false hope. 

All is not lost, because in-stock sets I've bought have actually been pretty good, and I have the feeling that with one exception I have more confidence in the other group buys I bought into.

yeah this can be pretty annoying but some of the newer manu's have definitely been improving. just wondering, what was the manufacturer for the sets you were underwhelmed by?

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6017 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 19:34:55 »

I'll pass on naming names.  "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances."  The physical quality of the caps is good, but the color matching outcome is just a fail.  I saw yesterday that both sets are still advertised with misleading renders/samples so I'm thinking of dropping those vendors a note about correcting that. 

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6018 on: Fri, 15 July 2022, 17:43:13 »

Unpopular Opinion #69.69-ahh subsection XXX

I don't understand all these expensive keyboards that have fancy decorations on the back and underside which you'll never see when using them as a...wait for it...keyboard. 

Offline maxmousee

« Reply #6019 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 04:32:56 »
I guess I have a few:
- I think these brass weights or added weights in general are a bit pointless except for looks (and even then, you mostly don't see them).
- Easily programmable macros (specially without a running software) are probably the most underrated feature in any keyboard.
- 95% of people would not be able to feel the difference between a lot of hyped switches vs standard ones (e.g. MX Red vs Alpacas, Tangerines, etc).

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6020 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 06:24:59 »

Unpopular Opinion #69.69-ahh subsection XXX

I don't understand all these expensive keyboards that have fancy decorations on the back and underside which you'll never see when using them as a...wait for it...keyboard.
I mean I agree but at the same time, you dangle a keyboard with an engraving of Foxy or a raccoon and I'd ****ing peel my flesh from bone just to get it.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #6021 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 03:18:41 »

I'll pass on naming names.  "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances."  The physical quality of the caps is good, but the color matching outcome is just a fail.  I saw yesterday that both sets are still advertised with misleading renders/samples so I'm thinking of dropping those vendors a note about correcting that.

Why would you not let us know? Do you want us to make the same mistake and buy a bad set? Come the **** on. Name the vendor and cap set. Youre part of this community right?

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6022 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 18:55:15 »

These are group buys, which I entered in the explicit spirit of supporting the designer's vision, and with the knowledge that the renders/samples aren't exact.  The keycap set is an artwork, and the designer is the artist.  In that spirit it would strike me as unethical to publicly fault the artist when they're presumably satisfied with the work and don't seem to be trying to be deceptive.  Sometimes an artwork is not quite what you expected. 

I think the community generally does a poor job of acknowledging up front that renders or even photos of samples are often an inadequate representation of keycap colors "in the flesh", and we don't really have standards for how to do it.  Different light sources interacting with different surfaces and individual color perceptions are really difficult things to model or photograph accurately. 

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #6023 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 12:21:24 »
It still should be up to the designer and vendor make somewhat accurate renders. It’s definitely possible with a Pantone book, spyder, and some patience.

It should also be both of their jobs to inspect and check samples to make sure it’s up to par with what community should be expecting. It’s not like they can’t take a look at their own renders which is what most other people will be seeing.

There’s also some trends with not releasing color codes in the name of “preventing clones” when cloners could just take an eye dropper tool on some half assed uncolormatched renders and get it equally as good as gmk trying to match hex codes.

So yeah totally more blame on vendors/designers, more transparency, higher render standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6024 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 16:47:03 »

It isn't as simple as color codes.  Light is very complex to work with. 

Getting it reasonably right takes actual experience with the process from start to finish, with all of the materials, manufacturing processes and pigments involved.  Most of these designers are hobbyists who do not have the experience, and we generally know this limitation when we buy into a group buy. 

I also think some designers are a bit lazy with the process at various points from the presentation of the concept to sample proofing and to applying quality standards to the finished product.  And then in the end if they're personally satisfied that's just what you're getting.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #6025 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 17:08:03 »
If the designers aren’t the most experienced, they should at least release codes and maybe pics of the samples in hand, in different lighting. So that the normal customer can see a lil more into it. More professional streamers and hobbyists can also pull out their own books to do a check and maybe give others a heads up about, hey, the purple looks a little deeper on screens than irl. I’ve seen some streamers do that in IC/GB reviews and it somewhat helps to know.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6026 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 17:26:36 »

Very detailed examination of samples under different light sources, with an adequate period of community feedback, would be a big plus.  It's unfortunate that there are no standards for this at all. 

High quality photos need to be examined and fact-checked very closely, using multiple lighting sources that are exactly detailed, unprocessed images from quality cameras provided (preferably RAW) with white-balance information, etc.  Designers would need to post enough information to break through people's normal reluctance to "make waves" and ask questions, and the community needs to be engaged and not overly anxious to rush to production.

Offline F2Grey

« Reply #6027 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 05:28:53 »
I don't know if unpopular, but I loved to type on this keyboard then I spilled Cola-Cola™ on it.

Also... as a newbie to custom keyboards I really don't understand why wireless with a USB dongle isn't even available as an option. Who needs wired these days? Gamers certainly won't until they first mod their Windows installation properly and who does that? One in a million.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2022, 01:35:00 by F2Grey »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #6028 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 05:40:56 »
Wireless is complicated to design around, a dongle much more so than Bluetooth

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6029 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 18:04:42 »

Wireless is unreliable and wastes system resources.  Plus, it's a future point of likely failure and premature obsolescence.  (Actually, where I work it's also forbidden.) 

Offline F2Grey

« Reply #6030 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 02:55:08 »
Thanks for the replies. Windows, these days, is spyware bundled with an operating system so it is in itself the main culprit for wasted resources. The biggest issue is constant interrupts. There's a way to get rid of them but it's a LOT of work. Wifi etc. have no real significant effect on the system latency of an optimized system. In an unoptimized system (which is c. 100% of users) it's another (very complicated) story.

Offline Sxmxs

« Reply #6031 on: Wed, 03 August 2022, 11:43:26 »
Speaking Personally:

I appreciate smaller boards, which drives me to love 60s above all.
HHKB's are an aesthetic thing that doesnt apply to everybody, but its my second favorite 60 type, behind WKL.

To my opinions:

Exploded 75% are weird. The Jelly Epoch and Hex.4b look nice to me because they're compact, but still come with a blocker unlike the kbd75.

Cherry Blacks are the best sounding switches, Nothing else compares.

Stepped Caps is the only right way.

People who use 6.25u on solderable or hotswap with 7u compatibility are crazy

Durocks are overrated, they are just smoother and have slightly better tolerances than cherry. Only Owlstabs, TX Stabs, and Staebies deserve praise. Everything else is just standard

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #6032 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 05:32:48 »
I miss older kits that ran with a top row 1u backspace key. It's like any modern numpad kit are made by people who have never had to use one in their day to day. I know there are bandaids for anyone who uses a split + key layout (the ever useless f13 key, a novelty, some nav key, etc.) but it was nice having correct legends. Atleast my old GMK kits have this key.

Offline NamesReed

• 40 enjoyer, Cheapskate.
« Reply #6033 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 12:39:13 »
TKL boards are a waste of space, if you want the keys go 75%

Gasket mounted boards feel mushy.

40’s rule
IDK man, be positive, kind and caring.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6034 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 16:29:12 »
TKL boards are a waste of space, if you want the keys go 75%
Gasket mounted boards feel mushy.
40’s rule
no, tkl looks better than 75%, has more functionality, is more standard
now im scared if i should get gasket mount can anyone confirm that
40's are more of fun fact than a functional keyboard, because everyone needs number row, almost no exception

Offline atarione

« Reply #6035 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 16:41:06 »
I'm not at all sure how people use keyboards smaller than TKL...My hands at least are sized such that anything smaller than TKL would seem very cramped (has seemed when I tried a friends 60%.)
 289930-0289932-1 

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #6036 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 16:44:06 »
Wouldn’t a 60 be still the same spacing? I feel like you would have more room and less likely for a hand to brush the arrow keys.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6037 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 18:36:26 »
Wouldn’t a 60 be still the same spacing? I feel like you would have more room and less likely for a hand to brush the arrow keys.

You'd think, but no, not really. Idk if it's a psychological thing but I definitely feel more cramped using My mode65 or Q1 compared to my NCR80.

Offline atarione

« Reply #6038 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 20:14:39 »

You'd think, but no, not really. Idk if it's a psychological thing but I definitely feel more cramped using My mode65 or Q1 compared to my NCR80.

My experience also I felt more cramped on a 60 than my Filco TKL... I also really don't like having to switch layers to get F keys and whatever... I find my TKL is great for my own needs.

Offline Omnias

« Reply #6039 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 18:24:26 »
r/budgetkeyboards is the new "stop gatekeeping our gatekeeping" corner.

r/mechanicalkeyboards is the new spot for budgetkeebs and GMK hate .

r/customkeebs is the only place worth visiting anymore... aside from GH.

My reasoning... post a nice custom board on r/mk with GMK caps and people will ignore it because "must be nice to be rich". Post the same board on r/ck where they legit have only 10% as many viewers and it'll get upvoted like crazy because they actually like nice stuff there.

Forget about budget keebs... they banned me for telling someone Gateron makes better products than Akko and their milky yellows are cheaper than most anything Akko sells. Got banned for "sharing my opinion as a fact" LMFAO but the mods will claim up and down I was harassing someone... too bad I got receipts from when a mod let me back in because "I dont see anything youve done wrong". LOL

I got banned for correcting libelous statements made by their owner, and another r/MK mod got banned for warning the r/bk Owner to stop harassing members of r/MK and spamming false reports…

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6040 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 14:38:07 »
don't like frl it's a deal breaker for me. very sad to see that many great boards being wkl only. the blockers should be removable for accessible winkey atleast

Offline pinkpurpleteal

« Reply #6041 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 18:50:20 »
gasket mount key boards are not good

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #6042 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 08:11:31 »
don't like frl it's a deal breaker for me. very sad to see that many great boards being wkl only. the blockers should be removable for accessible winkey atleast

Just bind it somewhere else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6043 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 08:29:01 »
Just bind it somewhere else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
idk where, and i like where it normally is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6044 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 18:16:13 »

My reasoning... post a nice custom board on r/mk with GMK caps and people will ignore it because "must be nice to be rich". Post the same board on r/ck where they legit have only 10% as many viewers and it'll get upvoted like crazy because they actually like nice stuff there.

Forget about budget keebs... they banned me for telling someone Gateron makes better products than Akko and their milky yellows are cheaper than most anything Akko sells. Got banned for "sharing my opinion as a fact" LMFAO but the mods will claim up and down I was harassing someone... too bad I got receipts from when a mod let me back in because "I dont see anything youve done wrong". LOL

There is only 1 true path, Split + Tented ,   You're all 1nfidels in the eyes of the True Keebers.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6045 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 18:21:39 »

There is only 1 true path, Split + Tented ,   You're all 1nfidels in the eyes of the True Keebers.

Show Image

This is the first time I've seen Tp4 outside of Off Topic. He's breached containment.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6046 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 08:04:12 »

He's breached containment.

Prior to plant-based diet screeds, ergodox was his primary crusade.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Morbii

« Reply #6047 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 08:51:10 »
I don't just like my caps lock, I love it.  And I use it frequently -- basically any time I have more than a single capital letter in a row. 

I don't have a problem reaching for CTRL, so I see no reason to put it in place of caps lock (and I might even use CTRL less depending on what I'm doing).

Offline farlig

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #6048 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 19:10:26 »
I don't just like my caps lock, I love it.  And I use it frequently -- basically any time I have more than a single capital letter in a row. 

I don't have a problem reaching for CTRL, so I see no reason to put it in place of caps lock (and I might even use CTRL less depending on what I'm doing).

I am even worse, I never use shift for capital letters, caps lock only, even single letters.  :eek:
Collection: Singakbd x TGR Unikorn R2.2 Pewter Grey, JJW Cloudline Red WKL, Noxary Valhalla Green, Keychron Q1 Black

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6049 on: Tue, 23 August 2022, 04:29:36 »

All my formative years of typing were on the Apple IIe, Sun and Happy Hacking keyboards, so I always instinctively reach just left of the A key for Control.