Author Topic: How do i Turn a laptop keyboard into a USB keyboard  (Read 10032 times)

Offline user404

How do i Turn a laptop keyboard into a USB keyboard
« on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:09:28 »
I wish to make a usb laptop keyboard out off http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-TOUGHBOOK-CF-19-CF-18-KEYBOARD-N860-7672-T301-23187-/262429068132?hash=item3d19fdcb64:g:40IAAOSwlfxXFnjl how would i do this? i do not wish to just buy a $10 usb keyboard

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How do i Turn a laptop keyboard into a USB keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:40:02 »
The reason it has that big ribbon cable is because the Controller is NOT in the keyboard itself.

the Controller is on the Motherboard.

They don't make the controller..

So if you want to do it, You'd have to matrix it to a teensy..

This is certainly possible to do, but it's not practical.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 21:03:54 »
I would not recommend buying a used low-profile scissor-switch keyboard either way.
The rubber domes inside these are very small and wear out easily. You can't tell how long it will last.
I say this because I have worn out keys on a Thinkpad.

The "Teensy" in this case is either a Teensy 2.0 or Teensy++ 2.0 from PJRC. The most popular firmware to put on one of those is TMK.
You would have to do some programming for sure.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 03:23:57 »
If you just need a keyboard, which is what it sounds like, just go buy a $10 keyboard and save yourself some money and a lot of work.

The Teensy controller you need will cost more, the connector you need will cost almost as much, and the amount of time and effort will be far more than you can imagine. Wiring the Teensy will be easy compared to soldering the FPC FFC connector.

Findecanor, even if it wears fast, used laptop keyboards are pretty cheap (in many cases), so a complete replacement could be done fast and easy depending on keyboard and how you build the case. Which also adds to the amount of time and effort needed to pull this off.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 15:39:16 »
Any reason for this keyboard in particular? Low-profile? Layout? We might be able to recommend a better solution for what you have in mind.