Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup  (Read 43022 times)

Offline mauri

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 07:09:05 »
Didn't see Ecuador's first game, but holy **** their game against Honduras was great. Fast and technical players. The game was so intense, constant tug of war from one end to another. Figured the teams would be evenly matched, but once again Honduras parked a bus in front of their goal and were content just trying to harpoon Ecuador's defense with long passes. And honestly their only good goal opportunity came from the defenders mistake which Costly used to great efficiency.
Sadly neither Ecuador or Honduras is going through the group stage. Did you watch France vs Swiss? Cause that was an awesome game! Do anybody know why the last goal was denied?

I stopped watching after 3 - nil but, apparently the clock ran out so the goal was denied. But yeah Ecuador got a bit unlucky with the Swiss / the Swiss got lucky against Ecuador and most likely they'll advance. There's always the off chance Ecuador will draw/win France and Honduras will win Switzerland.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 08:13:58 »
why england
why

Praise Allah, St. Patrick and St. Andrew that the perfidious Albions didn't make it! HAHA!

I am so sick of EPL; I'll support anything that isn't English. Really hate it the way EPL markets itself and monopolizes the soccer world and diverts resources from the domestic leagues of many countries making it hard for others to get funding.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 13:56:53 »
I never expect too much of England. I try not to get too wound up or excited when things like this come around.

I think Argentina aren't actually going to be that good looking back at my predictions. Germany and Holland will be the ones to beat. France will get to the semis but get beaten soundly, because I think they've just had some easy opposition in their group.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 15:23:14 »
I should really stop making bold statements

Offline iri

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 15:47:04 »
the dutch team probably smoked the weed of power before the cup.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 04:02:07 »
I should really stop making bold statements

But methinks you're right about France. They're competing in what I call the Group of Life.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 05:25:56 »
I don't think their !group of life! matters, they still got to show their level. I think France played really well. They have a young team as well, so I think they are prime candidates to win 2018. I don't think you can win without a solid attack, and imo, these are the teams who have proven they can actually score fairly consistently:
-France
-Germany
-Holland
-Colombia
-Chile

Ball possession and defending until you make that one goal of the entire game just doesn't cut it these days.

Offline iri

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 06:08:29 »
i very much like the aggressive offensive football of these days. it's way more exciting than what we saw at this south korea / japan world cup.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 11:22:22 »
i very much like the aggressive offensive football of these days. it's way more exciting than what we saw at this south korea / japan world cup.

German fussball has totally turned around, hasn't it? You actually want to cheer them on now.

Wonder how USA is doing tonight

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 11:23:59 »
Besides France, the European squads are looking rather underwhelming at the moment.  No other European team has put together two impressive games so far.

They probably are befuddled by the toilets swirling in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline mauri

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 12:21:01 »
I don't think their !group of life! matters, they still got to show their level. I think France played really well. They have a young team as well, so I think they are prime candidates to win 2018. I don't think you can win without a solid attack, and imo, these are the teams who have proven they can actually score fairly consistently:
-France
-Germany
-Holland
-Colombia
-Chile

Ball possession and defending until you make that one goal of the entire game just doesn't cut it these days.

>Mexico

Offline mauri

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 12:31:31 »

German fussball has totally turned around, hasn't it? You actually want to cheer them on now.

Well yes but the change happened quite a bit ago, you could see that in 2010 @ South Africa and throughout 2008-2014 in Bundesliga.

The whole new style of football has emerged during these past few years and the results are most apparent in the recent Champions League results and games. Big clubs that haven't adapted yet are not succeeding; ManU, Barcelona, Milan, Juve, Inter etc.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 14:58:34 »

Well yes but the change happened quite a bit ago, you could see that in 2010 @ South Africa and throughout 2008-2014 in Bundesliga.

The whole new style of football has emerged during these past few years and the results are most apparent in the recent Champions League results and games. Big clubs that haven't adapted yet are not succeeding; ManU, Barcelona, Milan, Juve, Inter etc.
Sadly since Pep Guardiola took over Bayern Munich they play as Barcelona/ Spain... Liked the Bayern Before Pep :(
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:28:43 »
omg, that was heart breaking.  If any team wants Michael Bradley, please, take him.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:37:33 »
omg, that was heart breaking.  If any team wants Michael Bradley, please, take him.

Nah, well, it was heart-breaking to see that goal at 94:59, but it's not the end of the world.  In fact everything's going right on plan.  Win-Tie-Lose, is all the USA has to do in their 3 games, and they should squeak by.

Anyway USA should have won that game 2-0, but it's all good.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 21:26:38 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

I wish Portugal would crash out as some sweet sweet revenge... -.-

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 21:34:36 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

The best revenge would be for Portugal to bring their A-game and beat Ghana by a couple goals and the USA holds their own against Germany so the USA does not get haunted by Ghana for the third World Cup in a row.

But something tells me the soccer gods just like to torture the USA with that tiny African nation.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 23:13:56 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

The best revenge would be for Portugal to bring their A-game and beat Ghana by a couple goals and the USA holds their own against Germany so the USA does not get haunted by Ghana for the third World Cup in a row.

But something tells me the soccer gods just like to torture the USA with that tiny African nation.

Heck, just scan their human rights record or record of breaking sanctions (trading with Russia or Cuba) or something.

You should be able to come up with a good reason to bomb them. If you can't, ask somebody in Crawford, Texas or Wyoming. These guys know how to deal with America's enemies.

Sweet revenge.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 00:46:28 »
So Germany and US are almost sure to get in the 1/8 round, so great, Portugal is going homeeeee
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 01:08:44 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

Heck, just scan their human rights record or record of breaking sanctions (trading with Russia or Cuba) or something.

You should be able to come up with a good reason to bomb them. If you can't, ask somebody in Crawford, Texas or Wyoming. These guys know how to deal with America's enemies.

Sweet revenge.

umm, well bombing Portugal in retaliation for drawing the USA in a soccer game is a bit extreme.  I would leave 'ol GW Bush and 'ol Tricky **** Cheney out of it, tbh, they probably don't even know what soccer is. 

However, while IMO bombing is over the top, I think a targeted drone strike on Crisiano Ronaldo might make the world a better place.  Just take out that one monumental douchebag, and leave the rest of the country alone.  Also that girlfriend can go too.  Maybe Seal Team Six is available for another mission?

Another great pic:

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 01:11:42 by eth0s »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 02:02:03 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

Sweet revenge.

umm, well bombing Portugal in retaliation for drawing the USA in a soccer game is a bit extreme.  I would leave 'ol GW Bush and 'ol Tricky **** Cheney out of it, tbh, they probably don't even know what soccer is. 

However, while IMO bombing is over the top, I think a targeted drone strike on Crisiano Ronaldo might make the world a better place.  Just take out that one monumental douchebag, and leave the rest of the country alone.  Also that girlfriend can go too.  Maybe Seal Team Six is available for another mission?

Show Image

Another great pic:

Show Image

IDK...

sounds like you're just jelly of his stuff....

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 02:10:44 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

Sweet revenge.

Show Image

Another great pic:

Show Image

Um, if you're talking about it being ok to take out Christiano Ronaldo just because he's a jerk, I'd say that going by such logic any terrorist who blew up the entire FIFA world cup, all teams, would be a good guy.

1/2 of all pro footballers and 2/3 of their WAGs aren't exactly nice enough to warrant giving a life jacket to if we were on a sinking ship. Not even if there were more than enough life jackets to go around.  ^-^

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 02:40:46 »
I don't know what you are talking about but Christiano is a not a bad person. Judging by looks yes he might come of as a douche, but have you heard how much he have donated? How many medical bills he payed he didn't have to? More than any football player in EU by far. I have friends that are fans and actually met him and can't say nothing but good things about him. I guess you are not football fan but judging on those basis says more about you than anything else.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 02:44:59 »
I don't know what you are talking about but Christiano is a not a bad person. Judging by looks yes he might come of as a douche, but have you heard how much he have donated? How many medical bills he payed he didn't have to? More than any football player in EU by far. I have friends that are fans and actually met him and can't say nothing but good things about him. I guess you are not football fan but judging on those basis says more about you than anything else.

don't worry C-flip... h8ers are usually just jelly, so they take to h8n' to balance their own inadequacies..

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 06:37:06 »
Feel so sad for the USA.

Sweet revenge.

Please, our government is concentrating on too many countries in the Middle East to bomb an African nation at the moment.  Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, maybe Iran one day...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:38:18 »
You seem to come to a lot of extreme conclusions very quickly beserkfan

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:00:18 »

First, I was joking about a drone strike on Ronaldo.  I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole, that was inspired by some late night scotch, and that other post about bombing Portugal.  Both were in bad taste, but I thought somebody would find them funny, I guess I was wrong.

Now let me address this candyflip person:   I'm not a football fan because I don't worship Ronaldo's ballsack?  Well, I dunno about that.  As for Ronaldo's so-called "charity", yes I know all about it.  People like you keep repeating the myth that Ronaldo is going around paying medical bills.  The only thing I can find for certain is that Ronaldo has paid for one brain operation for one boy in Spain.  Which allegedly cost 50,000 Euro's.  First, please note that Ronaldo got a tax-credit for this charity gift.  Second, please note that under Spain's public health system, Ronaldo may be entitled to full or partial reimbursement from the Spanish Treasury.  Also, please note that Ronaldo is worth more than 200,000,000 Euro's.  And that he makes 23,000,000 Euro's playing football every year, and another 50+ million Euro's from endorsements.  So paying 50K is not really much charity for somebody as rich as him.   It's a whopping 0.05% of his net worth!  That is the equivalent of you donating 0.10 Euro's.  Would that make you a hero?  Well, I dunno.  Maybe it would.  Please try to remember that Ronaldo donated the money to play on the sympathy of people like you, and to burnish his image which is one of being a self-righteous, greedy narcissist.

Most disturbing to me is that after Ronaldo gave the money for the Spanish boy' brain surgery, Ronaldo carved this zig-zag in his hair to brag about it.

Is this solidarity with a sick child?  Or blatant exploitation of a dying boy for the gain and glory of Ronaldo?  You should be more skeptical of your heroes, IMO.  I guess you like the way Ronaldo takes his pants off at every opportunity to show off his custom line of underpants?  I bet you're wearing your Ronaldo CR7 panties right now.  They make you just like him.  ;)

don't worry C-flip... h8ers are usually just jelly, so they take to h8n' to balance their own inadequacies..
Show Image

ZOMG.  tp4, the simplest of men has entered this thread.  The one man who knows the least, but who speaks the most.  Why?  I dunno.  tp4, you don't even know what the World Cup is.  You don't know where it's happening, or what is happening.  You just know that there is some kind of disagreement going on, and that attracts you.  You are like the negativity moth who is drawn to rancor.  You don't even know why.   

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:06:59 »
You seem to come to a lot of extreme conclusions very quickly beserkfan

It's more entertaining that way. Am I supposed to be talking bland, milquetoasty things about how nothing happened nowhere on a nonday?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:36:31 »
Well this has descended into something ****ing stupid and excessive.

You both need to chill out and stop the personal attacks on members of this forum and people you don't even know.

AS picture of CR swearing at paparazzi? Would you not get annoyed if someone was taking pictures of you and your SO when you were on holiday? Every day? Every time you go on holiday?

"But they're famous!" I hear you cry. "They should expect it" they call. Does a certain profession entitle people to invade your private life? Richard Branson doesn't have people follow him around the street and on holiday.

And a "douchebag picture" with him sat in a private jet wearing a vest and a hat with his arm round his gf? What stereotypes do YOUR clothes convey to people who have never spoken to you before?

I believe he is a genuine person. He gained his reputation for being a bit of an asshat at Manchester United, but then everyone does. Since moving, he has matured, and I truly believe the cut in his hair is showing solidarity.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:44:26 »
Uh...Let's go USA!  Beat Germany!

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:10:58 »
Helping someone for whatever reason is better than not helping for whatever reason. I am not CR fan, I don't care about his haircuts and whatnot I see the positive side of the things. Why are you even calculating his wealth, does it even matter? Even if it is done only for publicity (which I doubt but I can imagine how can it pop in your mind when you clearly don't like a person) it is done and bottom line is that its a good thing.

Offline mauri

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 07:23:55 »

Just like in the good old days huh?

Offline bdtbinh

• In Geek I trust
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 08:46:50 »
USA did a good job this year  :thumb:

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:29:35 »

War is never a victory.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:45:28 »

War is never a victory.

Very wise thing to say. I get sick of the self-pleasuring that the victors of WW2 like to do every anniversary.

Recently it was, what, their 70th for Normandy? And 70th for V-E? And in a few months, we're going to hear of 70th V-J?

If you think about it, pretty much most of our modern world was shaped by WW2's aftermath and the victors. They are strongly invested in the outcome, and work hard to defend it from any challenge. But I won't call their narrative the only narrative around, and with the passing of time, their claims become much less relevant.

In the eyes of a significant number of people, al-Naqba (foundation of Israel) is much more important. I don't necessarily agree. Just noting here that lots of people don't buy into the international arrangements created by the victors of ww2, and these people are getting more numerous by the day. Some of these people work very hard to create their own arrangements. Latest is Iraq, on the verge of splitting back into its 3 traditional provinces each with a different population.

On another note, England is now on the verge of crashing out of World Cup with nothing but defeats. Uruguay is holding them to a draw so far. If their military performed the same way as their soccer team, it would be a significant contribution to world peace.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:52:27 »

War is never a victory.

Very wise thing to say. I get sick of the self-pleasuring that the victors of WW2 like to do every anniversary.

Recently it was, what, their 70th for Normandy? And 70th for V-E? And in a few months, we're going to hear of 70th V-J?

If you think about it, pretty much most of our modern world was shaped by WW2's aftermath and the victors. They are strongly invested in the outcome, and work hard to defend it from any challenge. But I won't call their narrative the only narrative around, and with the passing of time, their claims become much less relevant.

In the eyes of a significant number of people, al-Naqba (foundation of Israel) is much more important. I don't necessarily agree. Just noting here that lots of people don't buy into the international arrangements created by the victors of ww2, and these people are getting more numerous by the day. Some of these people work very hard to create their own arrangements. Latest is Iraq, on the verge of splitting back into its 3 traditional provinces each with a different population.

On another note, England is now on the verge of crashing out of World Cup with nothing but defeats. Uruguay is holding them to a draw so far. If their military performed the same way as their soccer team, it would be a significant contribution to world peace.

Actually Uruguay is beating Italy.  Uruguay already knocked England out.

Here's a little Ronaldo pr0n for candyflip:

ENJOY your selfless hero!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:54:37 by eth0s »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:01:05 »
Congrats to Italy for playing for the tie and then paying for it.

I like how at the end of the game, Italy was attacking at will with only ten men.  They had that capability the whole game, but opted to play conservatively.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:02:15 »
I don't see how Italy lost that lol

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:00:33 »
Never underestimate the cannibal of Uruguay

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:55:55 »
Footage of Suarez biting

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:33:59 »
Footage of Suarez biting

Show Image

How long before he goes full Tyson on someone?  :p
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline mauri

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:47:40 »

groundbreaking FIFA bite technology

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:57:24 »
I'm really excited to see how tomorrow goes down with the US/DE game

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:39:53 »
Footage of Suarez biting

Show Image

How long before he goes full Tyson on someone?  :p
Tyson Gay?  ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:40:43 »
I'm really excited to see how tomorrow goes down with the US/DE game

That'll be the match to watch. Two German coaches. Odds of course are on Germany, but the US has been on a roll and US soccer has really improved from the bad old days when some US people didn't even know that soccer is an English word.

Offline iri

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 01:58:01 »
okay, today i saw the first "beware of suarez" sign on a gate somewhere.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:08:22 »
Today's match is going to be interesting. I didn't watch any of the US games, so not sure how good they are this year, but from what I've heard they're not bad. Who do you guys think will win?

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:20:37 »
Today's match is going to be interesting. I didn't watch any of the US games, so not sure how good they are this year, but from what I've heard they're not bad. Who do you guys think will win?
It will be a draw since it is already fixed. If not Germany 4-0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:25:46 »
It will be a draw since it is already fixed. If not Germany 4-0
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"