Author Topic: Anesthesia  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Kavik

Anesthesia
« on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 17:31:52 »
Several years ago, I had knee surgery. My experience with anesthesia was total oblivion: no consciousness at all, completely and utterly absent of mind, no sense of even blackness, just nothing at all. You may think you are unconscious when sleeping and not dreaming, but this was somehow even more "gone" than that. This is how I imagined death must be. When I came to, I awoke with my eyes closed and pretended not to hear the nurses talking until I decided to speak finally. I had no memory loss of events afterwards; although they didn't seem as clear.

This past Friday, I finally got my wisdom teeth removed. I was given a general anesthetic intravenously combined with laughing gas. This experience was totally different from the first. I slowly became more light headed and tingly (and slightly claustrophobic) until I was semi-consciously seeing a blurry orange-ish beige color. I had the feeling of looking at this colorful blur over the edge or horizon of something (probably the laughing gas nose mask). This was more akin to a dream. I was completely unaware of my surroundings, and I was not having any thoughts, but I was conscious and seeing something. I don't really recall the moment of coming to however. My wife took video, and upon seeing the video I remembered everything we'd talked about immediately afterwards and during the drive home, but I probably wouldn't have remembered much without talking to her or seeing the video. The car ride home was much longer than I remembered, so I must have slept for part of it.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that my two experiences with anesthesia differed so greatly, from "I know what death feels like and this proves there is no soul" to "I was half asleep looking at a color."

What have your experiences with anesthesia been like?

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:51:50 »
Headsup , for wisdom tooth removal you only need local, it really doesn't hurt at all with only local.

The only reason Dentists push the Full anesthetic + xrays etc is to Ding the insurance. 

They're charging $200+ per xray, and more if they need to take extras, which somehow they always need to do.

Radiation damage is cumulative, meaning there is no safe dose, Less is always better. 

They're legally required to ask you for permission to do xray, but they will be sly about it and pretend like it's absolutely necessary which it is not.

Xray is actually American's primary source of radiation, due to how the medical system is setup to earn money on it. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 19:10:32 »
I have had most of the major pain-numbing techniques with the exception of epidural injection.

Full anesthesia is the way to go, every time I have had it (about 4) it was great - they stick in a needle and you wake up an hour later with no memory or sensation of any time having elapsed whatsoever.

I have had laughing gas in conjunction with local anesthetic for dental work, but it seemed superfluous - local anesthetic was usually enough in that case. Once you knock off the primary pain the secondary suffering is at least an order of magnitude less and you can mostly just tune it out temporarily.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 20:33:24 »
During my surgery for my leg they gave me a needle shot and then used laughing gas on me. You know that feeling when you're about to pass out during the surgery due to the laughing gas and you slowly start to feel numb? oh it feels awful. I had a headache for the rest of the day and puked but i'm okay now, walking as usual. Thanks genetics for the osteocondroma or whatever its called. sucks how it runs only in the females in my family and eventually, if i ever have kids they'll get it too ):

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 21:33:09 »
The thing don'Trust bout dat Gas'n is  what if they implant a microchip in you,  how would you even know hrrrmm ?..

/Mindcontrol
/5G
/Korona
/Deepstate
/Singularity

Offline Sniping

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 22:31:21 »
you don't need to have surgery to have these experiences

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 12:01:07 »
I love how even the replies to off topic threads are off topic, haha.

As far as charging the insurance extra, I don't care. I wouldn't have accepted the surgery while being conscious even if it's not entirely necessary. I used a health savings account to pay for the out of pocket portion (which my company pays into), so it was basically free for me. My dentist (or her assistants) did warn me that some oral surgeons will insist on removing wisdom teeth from only one side of the mouth at a time so that they can charge for anesthesia for two separate operations.

Fohat.digs and Sintpinty, were your experiences more like total oblivion or was there some small bit of consciousness lingering? I suspect it depends on the type of drugs used.

I've never heard of osteochondroma. Did the surgeons just shave down the bone?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 12:41:21 »
Full anesthesia is the way to go, every time I have had it (about 4) it was great - they stick in a needle and you wake up an hour later with no memory or sensation of any time having elapsed whatsoever.

This. I’ve had full anaesthesia four times in my life and the lack of any time passing is always the best part. Tingly medicine goes in, you get a tiny bit pins and needlessly feeling, then you wake up on the recovery ward like nothing has happened. Depends on the surgery a little, of course, I woke up significantly groggier from a six hour joint reconstruction than I did from a bone resetting, because of all the morphine they pre-load you with, haha.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 13:42:19 »

This. I’ve had full anaesthesia four times in my life and the lack of any time passing is always the best part. Tingly medicine goes in, you get a tiny bit pins and needlessly feeling, then you wake up on the recovery ward like nothing has happened. Depends on the surgery a little, of course, I woke up significantly groggier from a six hour joint reconstruction than I did from a bone resetting, because of all the morphine they pre-load you with, haha.

/Microchips

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 16:01:35 »

My dentist (or her assistants) did warn me that some oral surgeons will insist on removing wisdom teeth from only one side of the mouth at a time

Fohat.digs, were your experiences more like total oblivion or was there some small bit of consciousness lingering?

I had my wisdom teeth out 50 years ago, all 4 at once, local anesthetic. Not pleasant but survivable.

5 years ago I had a difficult molar extraction and implant installation with general anesthetic. As I said already:

"they stick in a needle (in the back of the hand) and you wake up an hour later with no memory or sensation of any time having elapsed whatsoever"

the lack of any time passing is always the best part. Tingly medicine goes in, you get a tiny bit pins and needlessly feeling, then you wake up on the recovery ward like nothing has happened.

You go to sleep instantly and wake up in what seems like the next second.

edit - not literally instant, they say "count backwards from 100" and you get to about 92

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 17:05:24 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 16:24:30 »

In my experience, it's not instant from the injection of the antithetic, but usually within about 10s. I've experienced it all four times as a tingly kind of feeling and a taste I really can't describe.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 19:52:46 »

In my experience, it's not instant from the injection of the antithetic, but usually within about 10s. I've experienced it all four times as a tingly kind of feeling and a taste I really can't describe.

I had a bilateral fasciotomy last year for running induced compartment syndrome.  big fun, legs got all tingly if i ran more than a few miles because blood flow was restricted - took like a year before I figured out what it was and a dr performed the invasive testing for it.

I remember it knocking me out instantly.  The dr said "we are going to start giving you the anesthesia now" and then i woke up with two hours passed an no memory.  I suspect they might have duped me and started injecting it as they were telling me so by the time i processed and responded i was already lights out

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 15:56:26 »
As I said already:

"they stick in a needle (in the back of the hand) and you wake up an hour later with no memory or sensation of any time having elapsed whatsoever"

Ah, gotcha. I should've read your reply more carefully.

My wife always says she can taste the saline as soon as she gets an IV. Is it more than just a salty taste?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 16:23:58 »
My wife always says she can taste the saline as soon as she gets an IV. Is it more than just a salty taste?

Yeah, though I literally can't describe it, it's very odd.