Author Topic: Triple Lazer  (Read 1951 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Triple Lazer
« on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 13:25:56 »
Saw the Samsung LSP9T in person today,

Almost bought it,   It's got Colors Tp has never seen before.. It was like the first time TP saw Mitsubishi lazervue, but Even more saturated than that. 

Of course dark scenes are still crap as it's a projector.

It uses 3 RGB Different colored lasers to produce almost complete coverage of BT2020 Gamut, that's nearly the whole visual spectrum.

TBH, this is the ONLY light engine worth going forward with. Nothing else measures up.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Triple Lazer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 14:30:03 »
Do you need to sell your house to buy one?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 14:31:33 »
Do you need to sell your house to buy one?

no, it's only ~$5000, surprisingly affordable, guy I know can sell it for $4500

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 01:22:06 »
Saw the Samsung LSP9T in person today,

Almost bought it,   It's got Colors Tp has never seen before.. It was like the first time TP saw Mitsubishi lazervue, but Even more saturated than that. 
Show Image

Of course dark scenes are still crap as it's a projector.

It uses 3 RGB Different colored lasers to produce almost complete coverage of BT2020 Gamut, that's nearly the whole visual spectrum.

TBH, this is the ONLY light engine worth going forward with. Nothing else measures up.

laser projectors are a rather old tech by now though... and has be in the 5000 price range for at least 2 years, last time i searched because my boss wanted to put a projector in the warehouse to display the plans of things peoples were working on, although back then the lasers had an advertised life span of about 50000 hours so way short for something on 24/7. And frankly i do not know if DLP is actually much worse of a technology, i think if made to the same price it could actually produce a good color, not like it is a rather similar technology to LCD.We need to wait and see i think.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 02:09:33 »
Tp should run commercials :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 07:29:23 »

The Color Purity of lazer is unrivaled.

've read somewhere there exists experimental LMCL LCD displays with lazer backlights.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 22:02:59 »
Laser rifle best weapon

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 01:55:45 »

The Color Purity of lazer is unrivaled.

've read somewhere there exists experimental LMCL LCD displays with lazer backlights.

that would be a CRT then... only with the dimming on the screen side rather than the projector side, or is it even stupider and they are just scattering a laser diode output? laser backlighting seems like the idea of a marketing dude that wants to put laser on the package because laser is cool. or it is just a new trinitron, either way, does not seem that clever to me. (and LED have the same proprieties of a very narrow waveband as diode lasers, do not believe you will get dye lasers in your tv, it is just that they use blue diodes with phosphorus because cheaper, they can't do that with laser, and the phosphorus will create an "impure" white light)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 04:35:38 »
No, CRT is additive , LCD is subtraction.

A Laser backlit LCD is subtraction as well.

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 05:18:52 »
No, CRT is additive , LCD is subtraction.

A Laser backlit LCD is subtraction as well.

there is no point in going for a subtractive method when you can address each pixel with the laser, it is like the Chinese company that tried to put a CVT in an electric car, when you take it at face value it does not sound too stupid, until you dig a bit and see that lasers diodes are less efficient than LED and produce the same output wavelength, just as a coherent beam... they are less efficient and to use them you will either use them as they used electron guns in CRT (making the LCD part pointless) or will scatter their light, losing even more efficiency, and transforming them into simple LED... and as i said i do not expect them to outfit a TV with ruby (expensive, only does red and green) or dye lasers (who wants to fill up their TV with expensive dyes?), the only feasible laser tech i see that could be use in TV is diodes, or gas but then you have extremely fragile and hot glass tubes in your TV.
(if you do not know CVT make an internal combustion system have a similar output as an electric motor... putting one on an electric motor only makes the whole system more complicated and less efficient, this is an extremely simplified explanation though)
and laser projection screens are nothing new, just never really took off against dying CRT of the same size but cheaper and flat screen plasma and LCD.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:36:52 »
That is incorrect,  there are ways to use strobe in combination subtractive displays for power saving/ motion blur reduction / higher peak brightnesses

LED does not produce the same wave length, they produce a Spectrum, whereas Laser produce a PURE tone, that is why Laser will always have higher gamut coverage, as it does not have to deal with metamerism.

Laser projection never took off because it has the same problem as a CRT blooming. Not because of power use or efficiency.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 09:12:43 »
That is incorrect,  there are ways to use strobe in combination subtractive displays for power saving/ motion blur reduction / higher peak brightnesses
i have not talked about that, and either LED or laser can do that.

LED does not produce the same wave length, they produce a Spectrum, whereas Laser produce a PURE tone, that is why Laser will always have higher gamut coverage, as it does not have to deal with metamerism.

White LED do not, they are blue LED with a phosphorous coating, proper blue green and red LED do produce one wavelength, they use the same materials to produce the light, just the way it is handled in the laser diode makes it coherent, so useless for a backlight...

Laser projection never took off because it has the same problem as a CRT blooming. Not because of power use or efficiency.

i did not talk about power either, just that hey did not take off against cheaper or smaller options, and i do not nee laser projection TV making a comeback with an LCD as a screen

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 11:33:19 »
Yui , are you just making things up ?. LEDs do not produce pure wavelengths of light. they can't, even the latest quantum phosphor converts can not.

I don't understand what you're on about.

Laser projection CAN come back, but as laser light engine, separate from the LCD it will be behind.

Offline yui

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 02:00:44 »
Yui , are you just making things up ?. LEDs do not produce pure wavelengths of light. they can't, even the latest quantum phosphor converts can not.
phosphorous coated LED can't but try buying a pure color LED from a major supplier and you will see that they list them by wavelength because apart from a few colors (like pink and white) LED do produce a single wavelength it is also why white LED have often such low CRI, if instead of using white LED manufacturers used discreet red green and blue you would have the spiky spectrum you want. not all LED use phosphorous, just all the ones used in TVs do

I don't understand what you're on about.

Laser projection CAN come back, but as laser light engine, separate from the LCD it will be behind.

Laser projection tv = as big and deep as CRT, CRT died off of their bulkiness still is the best technology for response times, frequency, luminosity, simplicity, longevity, resolution, and even can have very good colors when you look at high end ones. only a few maniac that believe in bull**** marketing would buy them... lasers for a projector make sense, maybe they could even one day make it cheap enough to compete against less efficient DLP ones but for a TV i do not see any why it could ever make sense...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:07:43 »
LEDs have a dominant wavelength, and that's what manufacturers will put on the label, but their bandwidth is extremely wide (relative) to Lasers which can be on the order of +/- 0.01nm.

The wide bandwidth of LEDs is what makes their color obscure and indistinct, ultimately leading to lower Gamut coverage.

LASER projection may be the ONLY WAY we will achieve the Full Visual Spectrum of colors, It doesn't really matter how big/ deep the TV is,   YOU MAKE SPACE for the Greatest Color