Author Topic: Monster Hunter 2020  (Read 1604 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Monster Hunter 2020
« on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 21:28:13 »
Internet be drinking h8erade.

Thoughts ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Monster Hunter 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 22:18:11 »
haven't watched it yet specifically because everyone is saying it's terrible

I also don't like supporting Chinese government backed films due to their censorship and propaganda influences.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 22:02:36 »
It's pretty bad.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 04:38:37 »
I agree the plot and pacing was disjointed. No worse than the RE movies 2-6.

But here's the thing, why do we need proper plots ? People played crysis for the Graphics, and that's enough most of the time.

Vidya movies have always been like this.  RE 1 was already quite the exception really.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 09:54:27 »
I have yet to watch it, but I have it on my server for when I decide to see it - I never had a high bar for this as it's just a action movie loosely based on a game (normally don't set the bar high so I end up enjoying them for what they are).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 11:36:32 »
Spoilers: Detail peevz

Some of the stuff dun' make sense, like, WHY would the black horn dude chase the hughmahns by first diving underground into SAND,  That makes no sense, it's like, oh well, I'll get you faster if I push millions of pounds of sand in front of me. It'd be alrite if it was just ONCE, but they did it repeatedly.. 

At the end of the movie, WHO is lighting those burners that line the tower walkways, some dude must be keeping it fueled and clearing the ashes. Surely the dragon couldn't be doing it since it's pretty clumsy and just flys around burn'n stuff

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 17:18:15 »
Yeah, pretty crappy movie, like all RE.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 02:55:38 »
Yeah, pretty crappy movie, like all RE.

First 1 was gud'

Well, as far as I remember it was ok, but maybe it was just good because it was new and game related and I was yonger, that's why I liked it :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 07:46:03 »
First one was meh, could've been alot better imo - I still liked it but being the RE fan that I am, it could have been done better if they stayed closer to the game time-line etc.
RE-Zero would make a good movie, if they were to go back and work on that series again - hell 7 or 8 would be good as well but that would depend on who is working on the film.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 13:17:40 »
Honestly, Paul Anderson and Millia Jovo are living the life. They're married and happy and get to make shlock film and compliment eachother's talents. It must be a dream to have a partner whos ambitions and career path coincide with yours SO WELL that all you have to do is do what you love WITH WHO YOU LOVE to make a good living. It doesn't even matter that their movies are complete ass, you know they have a good time with them and if the studios weren't appreciative of their work they wouldn't keep getting the rights and money to do so. I tend to support those their movies just because of that, and usually, usually, it's just such a so bad it's good hour and a half anyways.

Also I miss theaters

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 13:24:35 »
Spoilers: Detail peevz

Some of the stuff dun' make sense, like, WHY would the black horn dude chase the hughmahns by first diving underground into SAND,  That makes no sense, it's like, oh well, I'll get you faster if I push millions of pounds of sand in front of me. It'd be alrite if it was just ONCE, but they did it repeatedly.. 

At the end of the movie, WHO is lighting those burners that line the tower walkways, some dude must be keeping it fueled and clearing the ashes. Surely the dragon couldn't be doing it since it's pretty clumsy and just flys around burn'n stuff

Show Image

So, to address some stuff, first I will say I am an avid player and fan of the Monster Hunter games, so I may be judging this more harshly than some others who only have the movie as their frame of reference. It's not a good movie by any stretch, the cinematography is questionable, there's a 2-3 minute segment where they rave with 'LoOk At HoW gOoD hErShEy'S cHoCoLaTe Is' for their corporate sponsor, but there are some occasional fun moments. My main issues come from moments where they either disregard the source material, show off their terrible understanding of the source material, or just flat out ridiculous. There are some things they get right, like some of the large monster behavior - for example, tp, the "black horned dude" is a monster called a Black Diablos, a female Diablos in heat that becomes extremely aggressive. They're burrowers, which is why she moved through the sand so much and so often, and are actually herbivores. Some of the ways they show it acting aren't consistent with its in-game-universe ecology, but overall it was... ok? It should have gone for more direct attacks than 'play with the puny humans' style of thing, because their main thing is that they're fiercely territorial, but other than that it was passable.

Now for my big issues. The way they portrayed weapons and how they work, for example, is completely ridiculous. For example, there is a point where a character wields a switch axe, and the weapon is treated like a greatsword that shoots waves of fire. Which is... just not accurate at all. Even if you see it as an interpretation of how the switch axes sword-mode phials function, shooting waves of fire is never something that weapon is demonstrated as capable of doing. At most it causes localized explosions around the blade, but that's just me being extra nitpick-y about my personal main weapon. Then they act like the dual blades' Demon Mode is only activated... by the special pose the user does. Not any sort of internal training or discipline to access more power for the tradeoff of stamina consumption, no, just... do the pose then magic happens, I guess.

There's a whole lot more I can go into about what this movie did so, so wrong, but that would take a super long post. I just put some gripes here to make it known that I really dislike this movie.

TL;DR they got like 5 things right, the rest is just ridiculous and completely disregards the source material. Not even 'so bad it's good' territory to me, just bad. 0/10