Author Topic: Dat Rice Cooker  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Kavik

Dat Rice Cooker
« on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:08:39 »
Subject line à la TP4 obviously.

I finally got one of these suckers a couple weeks ago. While it's not perfect, it makes way better rice, or at least more consistent rice, than I ever made in a pot on the stove. The main two issues I have are that it's really picky about how much water is needed, so it's still possible to get the rice too wet and that it always requires a stir towards the end so that it's not wet on the bottom and dry on the top. Most of the time, my Basmati rice turns out a little closer to Chinese white rice.

I just got a $30 cheapo with only a warm/cook setting (no special settings or switches) at Target, so I guess I can't expect perfection with no effort.

I steamed some asparagus in it and then sautéed it afterwards, and it was probably the best asparagus I've ever had. TP4 wouldn't like it though because I used butter in the pan.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Dat Rice Cooker
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:19:37 »
Pre-soak the Rice for at least 1 hour, OR overnight.  This should help with the stir problem.

Check my link in signature for Rice hydration-formula.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:21:33 »
Pre-soak the Rice for at least 1 hour, OR overnight.  This should help with the stir problem.

Check my link in signature for Rice hydration-formula.

I'll check it out and report back  :thumb:
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 14:02:49 »
I just recently discovered the joys of sweet soy sauce. Real good on rice and for dippin' goyozas.
Add a dash of peanut oil, dash of dark soy sauce, and a dash of a good sweet hot sauce (Queen's Majesty Scotch Bonnet adds good dimension) to it and it makes a very tastey sauce.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 14:39:16 »
Rice cookers are indeed a gamechanger and agreeing with tp4 on the soaking! Also a more high-tech one should cost too much sub 100$ and will do most of the work for you (aka im very lazy)
Very busy with studies atm.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:39:30 »
Rice cookers are indeed a gamechanger and agreeing with tp4 on the soaking! Also a more high-tech one should cost too much sub 100$ and will do most of the work for you (aka im very lazy)

Yup as long as it's asian branded it should do a pretty good job. Tiger and Zoji are the big ones, but Midea is alot cheaper and it does as good a job as the entry level Tiger/Zoji.

The other issue is radiation risk. JPN has severe contamination risk in all products originating from northern JPN.  it's risky to buy any food prep machine made in JPN, post 2008, they are undergoing a major hot particles problem.

The Tiger and Zoji made in China models are unlikely to carry this issue..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 18:27:50 »
I have used these for decades and they work fantastically well with no drama. Cook lots of other things besides rice, too.

They are cheap and plastic, however, so it gets replaced every few years.

Have tried many other devices, all suck.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:35:02 »
Three ladies jasmine rice was a game changer for me.....rice cooker is now a staple in the kitchen.  Was taught to measure water via the finger method....

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 00:46:26 »
someone tell me how to store rice in the fridge without it turning into disgusting cold maggots

is there any way to bring old rice back to or close to its original just cooked fluffy state?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:44:23 »
someone tell me how to store rice in the fridge without it turning into disgusting cold maggots

is there any way to bring old rice back to or close to its original just cooked fluffy state?

Put into the smallest microwavable bowl possible,  add 3 tablespoon water, smoosh into rice, but NOT too hard/much, you're NOT homogenizing it, just get the surfaces wet..

Cover bowl with plate (full coverage), microwave for 3.5 minutes.

DO NOT microwave with plastic lid/ plastiwrap.