Author Topic: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?  (Read 57685 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Why is the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate hated around here?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:12:21 »
I want a tournament edition. It's my guilty pleasure board :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 16:25:24 »
The only thing I've ever thrown at the wall was my Corsair K90, and that thing is made of solid steel so it was fine. (don't blame me for my keyboard abuse, blame Diablo 3.) :3

Did the wall survive?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 18:01:43 »
I just want to chime in and say that literally everything I've ever owned that was made by Razer has fallen apart within a year. Mice, within 6 months, other than the Orochi, whose side buttons lasted 15 months before dying. I used to love their stuff because it was so darn pretty, and well, I'm female. I've come to hate their peripherals and never recommend anyone purchase something made by them. My last Naga died in 5 months, and when I picked it up after it failed, it sounded like a damn maraca. Razer will replace things, but at this point, I was ready to sever my relationship with them, so I took the thing apart and its insides were completely disassembled. From NORMAL use. The only thing I've ever thrown at the wall was my Corsair K90, and that thing is made of solid steel so it was fine. (don't blame me for my keyboard abuse, blame Diablo 3.) :3
I had a Razer diamondback mouse once, bought it several years ago when I noticed the mouse started playing up around a year or so. If it wasn't for random playing up it, it was the sides of the mouse started getting icky before sticky. Eventually I threw away the mouse not long ago.

At the time when I got the Razer diamondback mouse I got the (once) extra large mousepad known as Razer mantis control. The mousepad still works fine (or so it seems) apart from seeing ragged edges on the side of the mousepad. Ragged and worn the mousepad with a rubber sole that would leave a mark on the table if one were to apply excessive heat and pressure. Thankfully my table is mostly glass which means that cleaning off the mess that is left behind by a once stuck mousepad would not be hard. Nowadays the nicer mousepads are not using some sort of rubber underneath which won't glue to the table.

That said, I somewhat frown at the though of Razer products, my experience with their old mouse product makes me wonder would it be ever worth buying a mechanical keyboard for instance by them.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 19:31:41 »
their keyboards are fine, just corny. that really it bro. if you are a gh member step up ur ****in keyboard game.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 13:50:50 »
I just want to chime in and say that literally everything I've ever owned that was made by Razer has fallen apart within a year. Mice, within 6 months, other than the Orochi, whose side buttons lasted 15 months before dying. I used to love their stuff because it was so darn pretty, and well, I'm female. I've come to hate their peripherals and never recommend anyone purchase something made by them. My last Naga died in 5 months, and when I picked it up after it failed, it sounded like a damn maraca. Razer will replace things, but at this point, I was ready to sever my relationship with them, so I took the thing apart and its insides were completely disassembled. From NORMAL use. The only thing I've ever thrown at the wall was my Corsair K90, and that thing is made of solid steel so it was fine. (don't blame me for my keyboard abuse, blame Diablo 3.) :3
I had a Razer diamondback mouse once, bought it several years ago when I noticed the mouse started playing up around a year or so. If it wasn't for random playing up it, it was the sides of the mouse started getting icky before sticky. Eventually I threw away the mouse not long ago.

At the time when I got the Razer diamondback mouse I got the (once) extra large mousepad known as Razer mantis control. The mousepad still works fine (or so it seems) apart from seeing ragged edges on the side of the mousepad. Ragged and worn the mousepad with a rubber sole that would leave a mark on the table if one were to apply excessive heat and pressure. Thankfully my table is mostly glass which means that cleaning off the mess that is left behind by a once stuck mousepad would not be hard. Nowadays the nicer mousepads are not using some sort of rubber underneath which won't glue to the table.

That said, I somewhat frown at the though of Razer products, my experience with their old mouse product makes me wonder would it be ever worth buying a mechanical keyboard for instance by them.

I feel like if their products were less expensive, I'd hate them less. I've had $10 mice/headsets that outlasted the crap I bought from Razer. If they brought their price points down to the quality, they'd be a fine product for a certain price range. They are just not at all worth the cost where they are at now. I have many friends who are sponsored by Razer and I turn down free peripherals pretty frequently. That's saying something.

The only thing I've ever thrown at the wall was my Corsair K90, and that thing is made of solid steel so it was fine. (don't blame me for my keyboard abuse, blame Diablo 3.) :3

Did the wall survive?

The keyboard won the fight, the wall was left with scuffs and a hole.
c h e r

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 13:56:17 »
It is just over a year since this was originally posted - had Razor improved their keyboards at all?

I heard they switched their manufacturer for the Blackwidow 2013 line up.  So build quality is good now.  They also fixed their gloss finish to matte.

To be honest I've own various Razer products and never had an issue.  The only thing I don't like about Blackwidow is their macro key, otherwise I don't have anything against it.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 15:29:16 »
I spilled beer on my blackwidow and that's why I'm here today  :thumb:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:04:10 »

Thank gods there are companies that make other than gaming peripherals.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:41:04 »
Show Image

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
c h e r

Offline Belfong

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 18:28:32 »
I have a Razer BWU 2013 edition - the one with the green backlight - and frankly, I think it's a good board. People claimed that the key cap sucked but if I compared the key cap with the one from WASD Code, they are the same. I guess all backlit key board have to have a key cap that is coated and laser off the print for the backlit to shine through the alphabets. The green backlit is evenly lit and is attractive, to be honest. Sure, the additional 5 macro keys on the left column is gimmicky but it's not that bad, really as it's just one column of keys and they used the same size key caps, unlike some which uses smaller caps making it feel like an after thought. This keyboard is also matte instead of glossy, which is a great improvements - at least the listen to their customers, unlike Das, which still refused to move away from glossy keyboard.

The BWU is very heavy. There was one tear-down post I read and the reviewer was impressed at the quality of the metal plate they used and how they have firmly secured the cables to the plate. I'll see if I can find the post if anyone is interested.

So, I am not sure why the negativity Razer BWU is getting if Das and Code was acceptable to many. I think their popularity was the bane. People just hates successful companies (e.g. Microsoft.. ) ha ha ha..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 00:50:08 »
How many people bought this?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:34:36 »
Show Image

Themed keyboards are so cute :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:36:21 »
 :)) :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Belfong

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:46:52 »
Not just stickered theme but the whole backlight and metal plate is orange! One of a kind!

Offline Tony

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:47:37 »
I have tried Razer keyboards and they are nice looking, but the quality is still under par.

You must buy one BlackWidow to know what is wrong with Razer keyboard, but then you will be silent to let other learn their own lessons.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:49:42 »
Not just stickered theme but the whole backlight and metal plate is orange! One of a kind!

Meh my Ducky Yellow Edition has orange plate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:57:39 »
Show Image

Themed keyboards are so cute :)

Show Image

You saying Ergo Dox is not themed?

Themed like ergonomic?

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:58:40 »
It's a Razer product in general for me. They're ****, and it's not just my opinion. The build quality is just bad. I've had 3 nagas (all had the left click fail within less then a year) I had a blackwidow ultimate as my first mechanical the stabilizer broke in the enter key. My carcharias headset's mic just 2 days ago quit working.
I hate everything.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 02:05:05 »
It's a Razer product in general for me. They're ****, and it's not just my opinion. The build quality is just bad. I've had 3 nagas (all had the left click fail within less then a year) I had a blackwidow ultimate as my first mechanical the stabilizer broke in the enter key. My carcharias headset's mic just 2 days ago quit working.

My DA held up forever, but that's it...

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 02:06:54 »
Why is Folgers hated by coffee lovers?

(Hint: because its trash)
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 02:20:53 »

i drink folgers   
Show Image

Yes, but i bet you make it in a perc or auto drip.

The point is, you dont drink anything better than folgers because you dont really care to or want to invest more into it, which is totally understandable.

If you were making it in a chemex or hario v60 or something like that, i might tell ya to invest in some better coffee.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 02:21:44 »
I can tell you why I dislike it-- it feels pretty nice for the first few days like most Razer products and then after a while you just want something different.  This is not an end game keyboard or one that really appeals to people after they own it for a while.

I bet there are a ton of people with poker 2s... stock I still love that keyboard.  It has nothing to do for Razer's image, but their insisting behavior of making peripherals which grab attention and then don't hold it.  The only product of theirs I have enjoyed in recent times has been the Orbweaver.  There really is nothing like it, and even that could be done better.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 09:56:54 »

I don't know anyone whose Razer headset lasted for more than 18 months, nor anyone whose Naga didn't either fall apart from the inside or experience button failure within a year.
c h e r

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:39:17 »

i drink folgers   
Show Image

Yes, but i bet you make it in a perc or auto drip.

The point is, you dont drink anything better than folgers because you dont really care to or want to invest more into it, which is totally understandable.

If you were making it in a chemex or hario v60 or something like that, i might tell ya to invest in some better coffee.

I think a more fitting example would be to trash starbucks because ,unless they have a clover machine, its terrible and overpriced. Most of their customer base has never had a real coffee or espresso either.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 01:50:17 »
I've had countless Razer mice and each one has developed issues over time.

I've had the original
Razer Boomslang
Razer Habu
Razer Lachesis
Razer Imperator

Each mouse has developed some form of problem over time
Whether it was random jittery movement
Random double clicking
Buttons not responding
Mouse wheel becoming semi-melted and slippery
Rubber coating wearing off

I've pretty much gone back to Logitech for mice and I've never looked back.

My old Logitech Mice have always worked without issue.

As for Keyboards, I'm a casual ergonomic keyboard guy

So the MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is what I use.
I hate having to relearn button placements and any keyboard that is ergonomic and as close to the standard QWERTY layout is good enough for me.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 02:17:55 »
Judging by this thread I think I have had the least problems with my Razer products.

About two and a half years ago I bought a Black Widow and a Mamba with my new build. I loved the MX Blues as I had never experienced mechs before, and didn't really notice the build quality.

Now I have bought more boards, I can feel the quality. The print font is horrible, my wasd cluster, shift etc look dirty rather than worn (my board is clean just FYI) and I did have problems about a year ago with double/non signals when I pressed some keys. My Mamba's wireless sensor has since packed up but it still works really well wired, and I am still not looking to get a replacement.

I think Razers are great unless you know better. And if you are on GH, you know better. I wouldn't reccomend buying Razer boards over CM boards, but their mice are excellent.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 10:12:14 »

I don't know anyone whose Razer headset lasted for more than 18 months, nor anyone whose Naga didn't either fall apart from the inside or experience button failure within a year.

Not to mention all of their headsets are extremely ugly. I would never buy one based on just the looks alone. Understated isn't in their vocabulary, it seems. Not to mention that there are way better headsets out there for the same (if not less) money.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Blusey

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 10:31:28 »

Gotta agree with this and I sold 5 - 8 naga's back in november 11 and I don't think any still work :P  The deathadder really was good quality though.   The headsets are just ugh. And the keyboards some just look abyssmal and feel horrible like the anansi

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 10:45:16 »
I hear it's build quality. What exactly is wrong with its build quality? Is there anything else that makes it a bad keyboard?

Are you doing a sort of marketing research study for the manufacturer?  :)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 14:15:59 »

Gotta agree with this and I sold 5 - 8 naga's back in november 11 and I don't think any still work :P  The deathadder really was good quality though.   The headsets are just ugh. And the keyboards some just look abyssmal and feel horrible like the anansi

The Deathadder is their only good mouse, imo. However, I wouldn't ever buy it just based on the quality of the rest of their crap.
c h e r

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:29:52 »
I have their Lachesis Refresh 5600 and it's perfectly fine. Most of their mice is pretty good.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:35:59 »
I've never been fan either ( for different reasons) but my deathadder is going strong for 5 years now.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:48:01 »

The Deathadder is their only good mouse, imo. However, I wouldn't ever buy it just based on the quality of the rest of their crap.
Quality of the rest yeah may be ****, but Deathadder is one of the top 3/4 mice there are atm.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:16:32 »
I kinda liked my Razer Diamondback 3G mouse.
Oh the nostalgia.