Author Topic: Odd Frozen Computer Behavior  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Kavik

Odd Frozen Computer Behavior
« on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 16:01:58 »
This may be a one-off and not worth investigating further.

-My computer just froze. At first, I thought I simply couldn't find my cursor; however, neither the windows key nor CTRL ALT DEL produced any response by the computer.

-I pressed the restart button on the case a couple times (not the power button), and held it for a couple seconds the last time. No response.

-Several seconds after pressing the button, the computer shut down. After a couple more seconds, it booted again. The delay between shutdown and boot was much longer than usual for a restart, leading me to think it was power loss or hardware failure until it suddenly booted again.

-The Windows Event Log shows at 3:45PM the previous shutdown at 3:40PM was unexpected, but this whole ordeal didn't take five minutes, so it appears the time it recorded for the shutdown (3:40) actual predates the incident (I suppose it's possible it recorded the time that the computer froze instead of the time it shutdown, but even that didn't seem like five whole minutes).

I will monitor this and see if it happens again.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

Re: Odd Frozen Computer Behavior
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:13:21 »
This may be a one-off and not worth investigating further.

-My computer just froze. At first, I thought I simply couldn't find my cursor; however, neither the windows key nor CTRL ALT DEL produced any response by the computer.

-I pressed the restart button on the case a couple times (not the power button), and held it for a couple seconds the last time. No response.

-Several seconds after pressing the button, the computer shut down. After a couple more seconds, it booted again. The delay between shutdown and boot was much longer than usual for a restart, leading me to think it was power loss or hardware failure until it suddenly booted again.

-The Windows Event Log shows at 3:45PM the previous shutdown at 3:40PM was unexpected, but this whole ordeal didn't take five minutes, so it appears the time it recorded for the shutdown (3:40) actual predates the incident (I suppose it's possible it recorded the time that the computer froze instead of the time it shutdown, but even that didn't seem like five whole minutes).

I will monitor this and see if it happens again.
i have had that problem for bad GPU drivers, bad USB3 drivers, dying GPU, dying CPU, dying psu, dying motherboard and new windows updates instabilities... so you can pretty much replace everything and still have the issue or never see it again :) fun times
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:44:24 »
Unless it's a regular thing it's not worth messing with.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 21:02:01 »
Yeah, probably not worth messing with it at this point. I have not seen this happen again since.

The other weird stuff that's been happening is stuttering in a couple of games - Battlefield 4 and DOOM 64 - and some lag in the desktop. BF4 used to demonstrate random stutters because of a known bug involving hyperthreading, but that used to go away when I turned the graphics settings down, which no longer helps. DOOM 64's issue makes no sense since it is so low demand; the only explanation I can think of is that my Xbox 360 controller's wire has a break in it, so maybe when the USB driver was initializing the device again it interrupted the game for a couple milliseconds. The desktop lag is probably from using too much memory because of my bad Chrome tab management. Even with 32 GB, any usage above 16 GB causes performance degradation.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 18:59:06 »
I had a recent Win10 update that completely froze my computer while I was playing a game. It was installing while I was playing then when it tried to reset on its own the entire thing froze up and I had to actually flick the power switch on the psu to off to power down as the case button and keyboard bacame unresponsive. Perhaps the same update was your culprit. I am so dead sick of Win10 - the WORST os I have ever had the displeasure of using.