Author Topic: Migraine Glasses  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Kavik

Migraine Glasses
« on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 16:46:46 »
Have you tried these? If so, did they help?

I picked up a pair from Axon Optics on Black Friday to try out. I get headaches almost daily. They are mild but the frequency makes concentration and enjoyment of anything hard. I'm not sure if they are migraines since I used to get very intense migraines a couple times per year with an aura, extreme light sensitivity, and inability to focus my eyes well. These are not like that. These are just pressure

My headaches' cause seems to be multifactorial. Elevated blood pressure is a factor; controlling that has helped quite a bit but hasn't eliminated them. I think looking at screens for the majority of my day may be contributing.

The lenses in these glasses are not corrective. They just block blue light. I've been wearing them for only a couple of days, but so far, so good.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Migraine Glasses
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 18:14:06 »
That's interesting. Years ago (maybe in the 1990s?) there was a fad for "Blue Blockers" glasses but I haven't heard about that recently.

I have blue eyes and am very sensitive to bright light, so I ALWAYS wear sunglasses outside. Generally, they can be gotten in gray, green, or brown tint. I always get the darkest brown tint that I can find and that has worked best for me. Note: it does make green lights harder to see when you are driving.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 19:47:39 »
Monitors are a big problem, you can drop the blue gamma in the color settings that should help too.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 15:26:38 »
That's interesting. Years ago (maybe in the 1990s?) there was a fad for "Blue Blockers" glasses but I haven't heard about that recently.

I have blue eyes and am very sensitive to bright light, so I ALWAYS wear sunglasses outside. Generally, they can be gotten in gray, green, or brown tint. I always get the darkest brown tint that I can find and that has worked best for me. Note: it does make green lights harder to see when you are driving.

I'm a little skeptical; my initial good impression could be placebo. I saw an ophthalmologist a few years back who said the concept of computer screens' causing eye strain is BS, but a coworker said computer specific glasses helped him quite a bit. Time will tell for me, I suppose.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 16:11:30 »

the concept of computer screens' causing eye strain is BS

And people have lived to be well over 100 after smoking cigarettes every day. Nobody could convince me that tens of thousands of hours in front of a screen over the course of a lifetime could be without consequences ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 16:24:17 »

the concept of computer screens' causing eye strain is BS

And people have lived to be well over 100 after smoking cigarettes every day. Nobody could convince me that tens of thousands of hours in front of a screen over the course of a lifetime could be without consequences ....

I tend to agree with you. That doctor did not impress me for other reasons, so I took that tidbit with a grain of salt.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 16:27:54 »
I tried some. Doesn't make a difference. Best thing I tried was not looking at a computer for the first hour or two after I woke up and taking lots of breaks.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 19:33:01 »
The amount of blue light from a computer screen is laughable when compared to the sky.

I do recommend dark mode though. White is not very pleasant to look at imo. Reason why I’ll never own an e-white kb.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 22:34:31 »
The amount of blue light from a computer screen is laughable when compared to the sky.

I do recommend dark mode though. White is not very pleasant to look at imo. Reason why I’ll never own an e-white kb.

You're making the assumption I go outside. lol.

But in all seriousness, I do usually wear sunglasses outside, but I see your point. Looking at a screen after the sun goes down increases the total daily exposure to blue light, but maybe it's not significant. I imagine headaches from screen watching may also be from focusing on something close for long periods of time.