Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4202506 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #24600 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 15:06:08 »
I'm so tilted the a87u I put into my kmac that I'm gonna sell (which didn't have diodes so I had to order and solder on without a hot air station) has the USB port too recessed so it doesn't ****ing work when I put it in the case.
Soldering diodes is such a blast, said no one ever  ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #24601 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 15:24:27 »
I'm so tilted the a87u I put into my kmac that I'm gonna sell (which didn't have diodes so I had to order and solder on without a hot air station) has the USB port too recessed so it doesn't ****ing work when I put it in the case.
Soldering diodes is such a blast, said no one ever  ;)

well if you got dat h0t a1r , it' ain't so bad..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #24602 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 17:03:35 »
im so tilted what the ufck do i do with this pcb now ? it doesn't fit into any standard tkl custom because of the recessed usb port. that AND this is gonna be the 4th PCB i put into this ****ing kmac so I gotta disassemble and reassemble it again FUUUUUUUCk
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24603 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 17:11:37 »
im so tilted what the ufck do i do with this pcb now ? it doesn't fit into any standard tkl custom because of the recessed usb port. that AND this is gonna be the 4th PCB i put into this ****ing kmac so I gotta disassemble and reassemble it again FUUUUUUUCk

Quit Keebs..

Buy Ergodox..

Transcend.. !!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24604 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 17:11:59 »

Ha ha, KMACs are so 2000-late.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #24605 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 17:27:01 »
I've opened my DAW (Reason), fiddled around for an hour or two, and closed without saving anything that sounds good for quite a few nights in a row now. I know awesome music does not just happen but I remember in the not so distant past I could get at least something neat done in a few hours (be it a synth setup, a drumkit pattern, a bassline). Now it is just knob here, slider there, try that sample, but I can't seem to get anything together. Wondering if I need a bigger break. I am not a professional but as a hobbyist, I'm quite frustrated.

Also not sure what happened when I upgraded my DAW version from Reason 4 to Reason 10. Everything from synths to drum machines and effects to which I'm used to are still there and usable, but the GUI seems to have become a real annoyance for me. I can't get **** done like I used to with the older GUI for some reason, even when the majority of Reason users say the new GUI is goddang awesome and so on. Can't really see anything specific in it which would make me perform worse (other than the new stupid default colors for the sequencer that are too light toned so you can't see anything properly without manual selections).
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #24606 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 19:00:28 »
84 degrees outside, and still no air conditioning. Tornado (yep, it was apparently a tornado, not a microburst) ripped the building's AC unit off the roof.

Oh well, could be worse. I could have the apartment the office was forced to evacuate due to a tree splitting it in half. Or be the owner of the shiny, expensive car that had its hood crushed by the flying trees....
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #24607 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 09:00:52 »
Meh. I think I'd rather have it for an extra month or so than save <$100

If you end up in Boston, I'll buy you a coffee or something if I'm not at work.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24608 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 09:56:10 »
84 degrees outside, and still no air conditioning. Tornado (yep, it was apparently a tornado, not a microburst) ripped the building's AC unit off the roof.

Oh well, could be worse. I could have the apartment the office was forced to evacuate due to a tree splitting it in half. Or be the owner of the shiny, expensive car that had its hood crushed by the flying trees....

Remember windows ?  What happened to those.. hahahahaha

Japan's Cool Biz campaign set their workplace temp to 82 F..

That's with business cloths on..

'Murica is just too full of us Fatties. hahahahaha

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #24609 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 10:50:41 »
I get rashes and other such when it's too hot. Yet I'm not fat. 82F is just too hot for many people to be comfortable when the air is stagnant.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24610 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 10:58:38 »
I get rashes and other such when it's too hot. Yet I'm not fat. 82F is just too hot for many people to be comfortable when the air is stagnant.

The body cools itself through evaporation.

This requires that liquid be transported efficiently to the surface of the skin.

Because the high fats content of the standard western diet, it interferes and causes inflammation in our skin's microvasculature.

The consequence of the ordeal is a dramatic reduction in the even-ness, throughput and efficiency of our internal evaporative cooling system.

The fats enter all of the body's cells, not only fat cells themselves which are more apparent..  You might've heard of this as skinny fat.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24611 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 11:12:08 »
Breathable clothing is important too. 100% cotton helps. I live in Florida. I worked as an HVAC mechanic in Florida. blah blah blah

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24612 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 11:46:39 »
pro tip: don't live in Florida

I imagine 28 °C in high humidity sucks. I'm in a low-humidity environment and struggle around 25 °C already; today it's windy at least.

I guess I should spend summers in some Nordic country (while walking around in a mosquito net), springs and autumns here in the mild climate, and move to New Zealand for northern winter to escape the cold weather and lack of sunlight.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24613 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 13:03:30 »
Also: don't live in Florida and work in attics and or attic flavored crawl spaces during the summer.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #24614 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 13:09:03 »

Remember windows ?  What happened to those.. hahahahaha

Gee, why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I did. It still gets 80 degrees inside the apartment. But you know, it's not like either of us take medications that interfere with the body's ability to regulate temperature, or that one of us has a medical disorder that makes us intolerant to heat....

Most deadly of them all.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #24615 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 13:37:44 »
The body cools itself through evaporation.

This requires that liquid be transported efficiently to the surface of the skin.

Because the high fats content of the standard western diet, it interferes and causes inflammation in our skin's microvasculature.

The consequence of the ordeal is a dramatic reduction in the even-ness, throughput and efficiency of our internal evaporative cooling system.

The fats enter all of the body's cells, not only fat cells themselves which are more apparent..  You might've heard of this as skinny fat.[/size][/color]

It's not like I don't sweat, but most office buildings don't have any form of air circulation unless they turn on the heat or air conditioning. It's not like many office buildings are designed with windows that actually open.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24616 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 14:25:12 »
Congrats guys...

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #24617 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 15:43:16 »
On that topic by the way if you're struggling with heat one thing I've found to help is to get a spray bottle and spray yourself with water lightly. That water will then evaporate cooling you without having to sweat.

Doesn't help in high humidity - there's little capacity in the air to accept more moisture, wherever it comes from, so you can't loose the heat you generate.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #24618 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:21:18 »
Thread cleaned up a bit.  For the latest debate, please see this thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95512.0
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #24619 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:24:29 »
Sorry for derailing that Photo thanks for your work.

On that topic by the way if you're struggling with heat one thing I've found to help is to get a spray bottle and spray yourself with water lightly. That water will then evaporate cooling you without having to sweat.

Doesn't help in high humidity - there's little capacity in the air to accept more moisture, wherever it comes from, so you can't loose the heat you generate.

Ah I missed that part sorry that sucks. Another idea I just had is maybe you could take a light cloth and dampening it with cold water and pressing that against yourself. As it heats up use more cold water.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:28:25 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #24620 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 17:58:55 »
It's actually not that humid, so the spritz idea could work. Wouldn't hurt to try, at least.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #24621 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 18:02:18 »
Yeah if you're in dry heat spritz is a lifesaver. I recently was doing some camping in the desert around 95ish degrees and It was miserable unless you were constantly spritzing.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #24622 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 18:51:33 »
I don't really mind the heat/humidity as long as there is air moving/blowing. Used to do +100* Fahrenheit rides in the DC swamp humidity when I lived there, just had to ride fast enough to keep the wind blowing! Also, a TON of hydration. On that note, the lack of opening windows in the majority of modern office buildings is a travesty, even though it is technically done to keep HVAC costs down. It's a mixed blessing in busy urban environments, since you take for granted the quietness that sealed windows grant. Fresh air = all the noise that comes with it.

More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #24623 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 19:25:21 »
I can tell you that I'd much prefer air conditioning than just leaving windows open. Anyways, very few of my coworkers are overweight but they (like me) complain when it gets too warm. Heat also makes me sleepy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24624 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 19:34:36 »
I can tell you that I'd much prefer air conditioning than just leaving windows open. Anyways, very few of my coworkers are overweight but they (like me) complain when it gets too warm. Heat also makes me sleepy.

They built some big things before air conditioning..

I'm not saying don't use it.. but, clearly there are underlying pathologies which cultivated its prevalence in America.

No other nations use air conditioning as much as we do, even the ones that can afford to, they actually find our reliance rather odd.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24625 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 19:59:57 »

They built some big things before air conditioning..

I'm not saying don't use it.. but, clearly there are underlying pathologies which cultivated its prevalence in America.

No other nations use air conditioning as much as we do, even the ones that can afford to, they actually find our reliance rather odd.

Be young fanpeople toiling for father as a TA for some extra cash, even though fanpeople paid well at his full time job. (father offered $300 a day to climb ladders and pop tiles so how could I refuse). Father informs me that he has had multiple complaints that there is a draft on the floor. Father does not work for building services but feels it is better to listen to people ***** using their snake voice as opposed to telling them to **** off politely. Father walks me around the floor, we stop every 5 to 10 meters and my father points to the roof. Office dwellers stick tape over the ducts because they no like the air-con or something. By doing that office dwellers **** the airflow and cause co-workers to feel a draft.

Fanpeople goes around ripping the tape off the ducts with glee thinking about how pissed the tape happy office dwellers would be.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24626 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:01:37 »
What about small area (portable) air conditioning units? Is that an option? I haven't looked into those tiny things in quite a while so I'm not sure if they're worth the trouble.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #24627 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:05:50 »
What about small area (portable) air conditioning units? Is that an option? I haven't looked into those tiny things in quite a while so I'm not sure if they're worth the trouble.

I'd definitely buy one if I had the money. As of today, I'm broke, and will be for another 23 or so days. Not that I'm rolling in the dough right now (hence why both of my current keyboards are 30 - 40 dollar models).

A "friend" offered to bring me one, but he never showed up. Or more accurately, showed up without it, said he'd come back tonight with it, and then said he wouldn't be by for a while. With friends like these....

Most deadly of them all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24628 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:17:11 »

If you get one of those,  Make sure you're getting the Dual Hose kind which separate the hot coil air from the cold coil air..  It's much more efficient..

They work as well as windowed units,  But they're slightly less efficient due to the hosing.. SO you need a slightly bigger unit for the same space vs windowed units.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24629 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:17:57 »

I have one from years ago when I lived in a house that had no split system installed. The one I have is very loud and if the house is open plan/large area it will struggle to actually cool the room. You also have to obviously stick the hose out the window to channel out the hot air which kinda limits where you can put it.

They may be better now (I bought one in 2013). But yeah the noise was bad.

If I was to get another I would probably measure the size of the area and get one that is capable of cooling double the space just so it does not have to work so hard.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24630 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:21:26 »

I have one from years ago when I lived in a house that had no split system installed. The one I have is very loud and if the house is open plan/large area it will struggle to actually cool the room. You also have to obviously stick the hose out the window to channel out the hot air which kinda limits where you can put it.

If I was to get another I would probably measure the size of the area and get one that is capable of cooling double the space just so it does not have to work so hard.

They're really only meant for single rooms..  you need 5000 btus for even a small bedroom, 12feet x 12feet x 8..

If you do some creative cardboard box taping, you can actually put the unit on the OUTSIDE and Duct in the cool air..  Making it similar to a Wall Unit..

This would make it virtually silent.

Or you can buy a wall unit with an external compressor,  it's only ~$600 these days.. they used to cost ~$1000-2000

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24631 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:28:37 »

They're really only meant for single rooms..  you need 5000 btus for even a small bedroom, 12feet x 12feet x 8..

If you do some creative cardboard box taping, you can actually put the unit on the OUTSIDE and Duct in the cool air..  Making it similar to a Wall Unit..

Or you can buy a wall unit with an external compressor,  it's only ~$600 these days.. they used to cost ~$1000-2000[/size][/color]

That is actually not a bad idea as long as you have a dry area to put it.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #24632 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:31:01 »

Or you can buy a wall unit with an external compressor,  it's only ~$600 these days.. they used to cost ~$1000-2000

"Only ~$600"... How am I supposed to afford that when I'm eye-banging three custom keyboard IC/GB's at a time? Clacking on customs keeps you cool, right? Wait, does discussing keyboards in off-topic violate the rules by somehow bringing it on-topic? Can this thread derail into on-topic and inspire another thread-mitosis?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24633 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:33:52 »

"Only ~$600"... How am I supposed to afford that when I'm eye-banging three custom keyboard IC/GB's at a time? Clacking on customs keeps you cool, right? Wait, does discussing keyboards in off-topic violate the rules by somehow bringing it on-topic? Can this thread derail into on-topic and inspire another thread-mitosis?

Eat Ramen, Save Bux,  Buy Air Conditioner !!

That is actually not a bad idea as long as you have a dry area to put it.

Yea, the plan only works if you're on the first floor as well.. There are limitations..

In the end, it's probably cheaper to walk to the local coffee shop and m00ch off of their AC..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24634 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 21:59:52 »
I've been having a harder and harder time wanting to go to work....haven't felt this bad in years.... :'(

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #24635 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 22:03:26 »
Gas prices going up and up, getting pretty crazy for around here. Pair it with not being able to find a decent job near me, kiwi = bothered.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline iri

« Reply #24638 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:22:03 »
Also: don't live in Florida and work in attics and or attic flavored crawl spaces during the summer.
Spiders?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24639 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:55:43 »
Spiders?

How many spiders do you need?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24640 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 18:10:01 »
Spiders?

does florida have a spider problem ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24641 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:26:32 »
Spiders?

You want some spiders too? I'm taking orders right now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24642 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:47:40 »

If it's between mosquitoes and spiders,  I'd take the spiders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24643 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 19:48:39 »
Spiders?

There's a company here that raises bugs of various kinds, I always thought it was creepy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24644 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:53:14 »
Spiders?

There's a company here that raises bugs of various kinds, I always thought it was creepy.

I visited the local reptile farm in my area some years back. They have rooms full of crickets, mealworms, rats, mice, spiders, and scorpions. The smell was very potent.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #24645 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:58:07 »
Spiders are bros, most insects freak me out (8 legs good, 6 legs bad). I'm ok with bumblebees because they are gentle furry hover nuggets that pollinate, but the stinging kind of bees kind of kill me to death. **** ants. Butterflies are cool, moths too I guess.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 20:59:46 by Zuology »
More

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #24646 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 23:45:57 »
I like spiders too. They eat other more scary **** for ya and (atleast in northern america) almost every species won't really hurt ya. You basically just got to watch out for the black widdows and the hobo spiders.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24647 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 00:06:21 »
Spiders are literally a pain in my neck. I looked up so fast I had neck spasms for a few days.. *grumbles*

*Warning: image quality trigger

Offline iri

« Reply #24648 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 04:12:47 »
Spiders?

I am in the UK mate, I can export them in tons.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24649 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 07:41:14 »
Think I ate too many jalapenos last night.