Author Topic: Finding the Ideal Elevation for my RF 87U Keyboard  (Read 2377 times)

Offline aref

Finding the Ideal Elevation for my RF 87U Keyboard
« on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 22:14:09 »
For the past couple years I’ve been trying various elevations from zero to various incline elevations from space-bar edge to F-key edge. Finally, success! This is what I’ve done. I don’t use my keyboard’s legs to elevate the F-key edge; I use self-stick felt pads (hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe’s). Where I want more elevation, I simply stack the pads.

Here’s my formula for my 87U keyboard: two columns of three pads under the F-key edge, and two columns of one pad each under the space-bar edge. I use a chair with arms, tried it with and without, I prefer the chair with the arms in place.

Recently, I made a couple wrist rests, which worked well; but with the elevation of my wrists and hands with the armchair, the above elevation works perfectly for me, sans wrist-rest. Thought I'd pass this on to GH. I know that each of has a preference for keyboard height, placement, and computer chairs w/ or w/o arm supports.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 16:47:09 by aref »

Offline jacobolus

Re: Finding the Ideal Elevation for my RF 87U Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 06:26:32 »
How high are the home row keys relative to your elbows? (In other words, how high is your desk relative to your chair.) The proper tilt to use depends entirely on the angle of your arms.

Ideally, you want to be typing with your wrists as straight as possible (not extended, not flexed), and with your palms and wrists “floating” in the air, not resting on a palmrest (and definitely not resting on the table). My personal suggestion is to angle the keyboard such that the PCB/plate are parallel to your forearms when your wrists are straight and your fingers are resting on the home row.

Keep your keyboard relatively close to your body, so that you don’t have to reach your upper arms forward to reach it. Leave your upper arms hanging loosely down at your side, don’t let your elbows stick out sideways by more than 6 inches or so (maybe less), and keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed, not shrugging upward or forward.

At that point, your posture should be relatively okay even if your keyboard is a few inches above your elbows, but the most comfortable position to put the keyboard is at the level of your elbows or a few inches below that (which takes either a low desk or an under-desk keyboard tray, or else a relatively tall chair with a forward-slanting seat or a tall stool or similar, or a standing desk). Regardless of the keyboard position, angle it such that the surface is parallel to your forearms as I mentioned before. At the most comfortable height, this means the top of the keyboard should be flat or even tilted slightly negative; to accomplish this, use a tilting under-desk keyboard tray, or pile things under the front side of the keyboard.

The keyboard tilt you are describing in your post sounds like it’s optimizing for a relatively low chair and a relatively tall desk.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 06:35:08 by jacobolus »

Offline aref

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 07:45:18 »
Thanks for the detailed response.

With this setup, my forearms, wrists, and hands are in a straight line as my fingers rest on the home-row, and my thumbs on the space bar. Thus far this is the most comfortable keyboard position arranged for myself. I've tried different chairs and desk heights over the years. I have a low desk, and my chair arms are approximately 1 1/4"" higher than my desktop; and the home-row 1 5/16" higher than my desktop--just took these measurements. Perhaps when wearing long sleeve shirts, my forearms sit a tad higher on the arms of my chair, making a straight line from the arms to the home-row. I'll try doing some writing like this and see if the level of comfort continues.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:06:17 »
Huh, interesting. The general recommendations I’ve seen from “experts” (admittedly, they’re not too reliable, IMO), as well as my own personal preference, is to have the axis of switch motion roughly perpendicular to the forearms (which is the same as having the keyboard plate parallel to the forearms).

So you prefer the keyboard tilted much more upward than that? It sounds like maybe a 25–30° angle between the keyboard surface and your forearms? I can definitely see how that would make it easier to reach the top rows of the keyboard, but it seems like (a) it would make it a bit hard to reach the bottom rows of the keyboard (and e.g. the spacebar), and (b) to press a key, instead of just pivoting your finger around the joint at its base, you have to do a slightly forward flicking/stabbing motion.

Anyway, do whatever works for you! As long as your wrists are straight and you try to keep your position fairly neutral with your muscles fairly relaxed, you should be in okay shape.  :-)

I’d be curious to see a side-view video of your typing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:08:33 by jacobolus »

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 09:51:31 »
My elbows form a 90-degree angle with this latest revision; but only time will tell.

I laughed when you mentioned 'experts'. Where I had worked we had one such group come in and created an ergonomic work environment. I was never so uncomfortable at my computer. I switched back after a week of hell; as did almost all my colleagues. We worked in an editorial department, spending all day writing and editing copy. I believe what works for one person may not work for another; and the best we can do is begin with what is said to be correct; and adjust accordingly. Whether or not this is 'it' for me, I'll soon find out. If I've made the adjustment in error, I'll post it here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 05:11:41 »
ideally you'd cut it in half,  then throw it out..  then buy an ergodox..

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:34:21 »
Elevation? I don't need no stinkin' elevation.

Time to eat a little crow: my elevation 'find' turned out to be a disaster. My hands, after two days under extreme elevation, were aching. I'm down to 1/4" elevation under the F-key row only; the result is zero pain. Such is the way of keyboard elevation R&D; won't make this mistake again. Flat or nearly flat seems to feel best. Another keyboard-life lesson learned.