Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 389554 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #2200 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 23:26:14 »
Villanelle on the new oled, told you guys it's not that big.

305914-0

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2201 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 03:20:30 »

(Attachment Link)

Oh Villanelle... she is amazing, so sweet when killing people  :-*

tp bought himself an OLED? Cool. So, what games did you try so far? What do you think?
When I bought mine I was shocked how games look, especially those dark ones.
For me its one of those things that when you try first, you will never go back to other tech.
Like it was with SSD, itx mobo, mech keyboards, then OLED.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 February 2024, 03:22:29 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #2202 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 06:36:52 »
Going to see Godzilla Minus One Minus Color today... my 3rd time going to see Godzilla Minus One LMAO I've never gone to a theater to see the same movie this many times
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2203 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 16:47:39 »
tp bought himself an OLED? Cool. So, what games did you try so far? What do you think?
When I bought mine I was shocked how games look, especially those dark ones.
For me its one of those things that when you try first, you will never go back to other tech.
Like it was with SSD, itx mobo, mech keyboards, then OLED.

Yea, was waiting on LMCL, but it never made it to mass.

So far, only played armored core, the HDR highlights like the rocket flames and explosions are really impressive.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #2204 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 06:47:26 »
Going to see Godzilla Minus One Minus Color today... my 3rd time going to see Godzilla Minus One LMAO I've never gone to a theater to see the same movie this many times

Good, some scenes were really cool in black and white (the intro scene with the attack on Odo Island was straight up horror movie content) but some felt awkward (the montage showing Shikishima making memories with his new family over the years with happy music playing but its all black and white and it made it look sad lol). Over all i think i prefer the original in-color version but i can't say i regret seeing Minus Color because it was still a unique and positive experience.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2205 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 10:54:57 »
Silent Night, IDK, this one is, they billed it as artistic, but it felt just kind of bland.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2206 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 16:46:31 »
Silent Night, IDK, this one is, they billed it as artistic, but it felt just kind of bland.

Yeah, you could feel straight away that something is going to happen. Was ok, but not great.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2207 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 16:57:48 »
I was noticing recently that basically every all-woman cast big budget movie is historically bad. It is really odd, but very consistent through history.
What is it about all-woman cast films that gravitate towards being poorly made, or generally disliked by audiences?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2208 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 17:59:19 »
I was noticing recently that basically every all-woman cast big budget movie is historically bad. It is really odd, but very consistent through history.
What is it about all-woman cast films that gravitate towards being poorly made, or generally disliked by audiences?

I don't think that's true, there are some great films out there that are made with majority female cast (or at least the main characters are female), Greta Gerwig's films have been consistently great and do often have mostly female casts (At least they are at the forefront) for example. I think it's bad studios make bad films that happen to have all-woman casts rather than that the casts themselves being the reason.

I think the negative perception might be because there aren't many films that have all female casts, so when they are bad they are more apparent, there are tons of all/mainly men casted films that suck but there are so many that they fly by.

Plus some of the films that are "hated" aren't actually that bad or at least aren't as bad as people say, it's just certain people who hate woman and think that women are diversity and making films woke and stuff like that.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2209 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 18:42:10 »
Do you think something like Ocean's or Ghostbusters or Marvels are just swapping males for females and making the same movie otherwise, or do you think at their core, those movies were poorly planned and executed no matter who is in the main roles?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2210 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 14:42:02 »
and
Do you think something like Ocean's or Ghostbusters or Marvels are just swapping males for females and making the same movie otherwise, or do you think at their core, those movies were poorly planned and executed no matter who is in the main roles?

Most are most are written/directed/produced by men who are entitled and see women as property (see Harvey Weinstein and many others) and they're are either written for men or what they think women want and they have no clue because they've never actually cared about what women want. The critics are mostly men, the ratings board is mostly men, preview audiences (and audiences in general) are often mostly men. Even IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are dominated by men. The entire industry is male dominated all the way down so that's who they cater to. To be clear I'm pointing fingers at the executives, not men in general.

As for these franchises...
It's a gimmick, they can use it to revive a dead franchise or beat a dead horse to make an easy buck, as such it usually has a regurgitated script (only) slightly altered towards the female characters. It's low effort at best because they know it won't make much money but brings controversy (a.k.a. life) back to it and makes an easy buck while gauging interest in a big production revival. Ghostbusters has since been revived and Oceans is now getting a prequel, a spinoff and was going to get a sequel until Bernie Mac's death killed it. They're just trying to capitalize on the female narrative but ultimately it's still aimed at men and making money, they don't care about the mess, the hate, the destruction of your childhood memories or anything else, they just want the money and they don't care who or what they run over to get it.

Good female dominated films do exist but most will have lower ratings simply because of aforementioned male bias, if it isn't aimed at men it gets buried in the ratings, the more women involved or focused the lower it goes. Ghostbusters was being panned before anyone had even seen the previews so you won't find them rated at 9.1 on IMDB but let's be honest, no good lead can't make up for poor writing and women often get poorly written parts because of the men writing them having no clue, it's so bad that even women hate women in movies because they're so often poorly written. Did anyone really have high expectations for Ghostbusters?  The writing problem also plagues anime (and comics in general) which I at least partly blame for the rise of incels, as one guy put it, he realized he didn't hate women, he hated women written by men who hate women.

BTW, if you want a good all female cast making a good movie, watch Set It Off (1996), it's widely considered one of the best heists films ever made.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2211 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 15:27:44 »
BTW, if you want a good all female cast making a good movie, watch Set It Off (1996), it's widely considered one of the best heists films ever made.

Setting it off.

305993-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2213 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 16:51:52 »
Woah. Statistics say there are 4000 bank robberies a year. How come Tp4 has never seen one. You'd think with 4000, you'd see it at least once.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2214 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 17:24:38 »
Just finished, Set it off, this is a good movie, probably too slow for the generation tikitock, but for ol'r people, the film's clearly got heart.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2215 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 21:41:29 »

The movie industry is a business, and they've realised that the best way to get a return on investment is to just stick very closely to their already existing IP. This is mainly because movies are a really expensive finical risk, so they want to reduce that risk as much as possible, which is why we have seen a decrease in existing IP from big studio. And some of these execs think that a good way to differentiate the new one from the old one is an all female cast, which is why we get these films, and they do exist a lot.

There are many reasons why they are usually worse is that executives and producers don't allow creatives to do things independently, and often have to follow strict story structures and tropes that are made for mass appeal, even if the film is worse off because of it. It might also be that different people are working on them, which may not understand what made the source material work, or just be worse writers/actors/directors than the people than the original (that's not always the case though)

I do also agree with what leslieann said as well, especially that third paragraph, that is something I do see a lot.

Also I don't really hear people call Oceans 8/Ghostbusters 2016 bad, just pretty uninspired films, the only one out of the three you've mentioned was bad was that marvels film.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #2216 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 06:46:11 »
Saw Argylle

im not sure what to think of this movie. i feel like they did every plot twist that anyone could possibly think of in the span of one film lol. its a fun action movie but i think they were just doing too much with the story in a short amount of time. cat was cute tho and any movie with Samuel L. Jackson gets a thumbs up from me

Offline Neongreen

« Reply #2217 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 20:51:08 »
Severance on Apple TV has the most unique concept

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2218 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 21:11:53 »
Isn't it the same as A Scanner Darkly by Philip K ****?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2219 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 12:08:56 »
Hunger Games, Ballad of songbirds 

Not gon' lie, still in the beginning, but, this ain't bad.

Tp4 liked the very 1st movie, the rest were, pretty bad.

-Just finished, hrrrm. Overall, the hunger games is a decent analog for the mind-rot endemic to modern society.

However, its one weakness is that it does not properly highlight the root cause to all of humanity's plights.   

Perceptual Super-Stimulus hijacking, leading to the distortion of biological behaviors.

This happens at a very base level. Salt on our food, making it taste better, a super stimulus, perceptually more nutritious than the reality of the meal's usefulness to our survival. You take this process, multiplicative by technology, and we are today already living in the anthropocene extinction event. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2220 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 20:28:33 »
Prometheus:

The movie's got cool alien stuff, but also Bonus, Charlize Theron is super fit in this one.

306050-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2221 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 21:16:04 »
Prometheus:

The movie's got cool alien stuff, but also Bonus, Charlize Theron is super fit in this one.

(Attachment Link)

I thought this movie was just fine. So many people give Prometheus ****, but I put it on-par with something like the first Independence Day. Just a mindless big budget Summer spectacle that didn't need to make sense for it to be fun to watch. I feel like people tend to pick apart and over-analyze Prometheus more than other Summer blockbuster action movies. I suppose that's due to the franchise its roots are in.
The color pallet in the movie sucks though.

Just rewatched The Decent, and I'd add that to the list of great mostly female cast films.
Also, Suspiera and Deathproof.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 February 2024, 21:25:20 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2222 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 22:09:06 »
Independence Day, both 1 and 2 were very gud' in Tp4's opinion.  Can't wait for ID 3.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2223 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 22:13:48 »
Oh god, forgot about the alien squid scene. It's traumatizing to rewatch.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2224 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 04:02:08 »
Independence Day was a masterpiece compared to Prometheus IMHO.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2225 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 08:21:55 »
Independence Day was a masterpiece compared to Prometheus IMHO.

In terms of enjoyment. They're on par. Prometheus has a much more mature script.

Gonna rewatch Covenant later today.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2226 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 12:04:04 »
The Marvels (2023), film.

The Tv show is really terrible. But the movie's not awful.The film still writes women completely wrong, merely replacing violent male characters with females, but if we rate it for a male-action movie, it's OK, not great, but ok.

We still don't understand what the industry stance is, does society prefer all young women become violent psychopathic male killers, to solve their problems? Is that in the general nature of ANYONE, male or female, or does it merely portray the psychopathic kings of the past and present as the ideal role model.

306075-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2227 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 12:40:04 »
Halo season 2, ok,  not connecting with this at all. It's the worst aspects of H1, extended.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2228 on: Thu, 08 February 2024, 20:51:10 »
So according to Star-Trek SNW, s2e03, the Eugenics Wars is Canada's fault. We knew it, those snow bastards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2229 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 22:07:21 »
Rewatched Back to the Future. It's a perfect movie, everything, end to end good.

Offline TWX

« Reply #2230 on: Sun, 11 February 2024, 11:22:44 »
306149-0
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline iri

« Reply #2231 on: Sun, 11 February 2024, 11:47:03 »
Crash Landing On You

I'm like halfway through it and it's too early to form an opinion but since it's mostly set in North Korea, I couldn't miss it!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2232 on: Sun, 11 February 2024, 11:49:48 »
Tenet, Visuals are fantastic, buhh the movie, is still thoroughly un-enjoyable. It feels too contrived even for its creator, such that the execution is flawed. It may not be within our technology to pull something like this off succinctly in a movie format, perhaps a tv show..

The goal may have been mis-attached. The better pony trick would've been telling an out of order story in order, rather than the mess that it is.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2233 on: Sun, 11 February 2024, 12:06:19 »

telling an out of order story in order

I haven't seen that one, but random order is a "FAIL" at least 80% of the time, or at best a subterfuge to make a weak story seem more interesting.

Really sorry that it has become so fashionable in recent years, let's hope it becomes far less common so that story-telling can stay focused on telling stories.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 February 2024, 14:58:22 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2234 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 09:14:07 »
Tried to watch dat' football.  Bout 5 minutes in, N0oop.  Still boring and unremarkable.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2235 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 09:44:14 »

I got part way through S2 and lost interest.
S1 was a great idea but after that it became just another tv show, at least imo.

While you could say it was lazy writing it also could just be because it's what people expect, same as cars blowing up every time they crash or every other movie trope.

After this discussion I decided to dive in, and now I have finished it. As Leslieann said, it took a bizarre fork in the 2nd season and spiraled off into Hollywood sensationalism.

They kept piling on the stupid as well as ramping up the crazy, and took many of the already barely-believable characters and made them do ridiculous things.

No doubt they were proud of their "social statements" and ludicrous caricatures of politicians, but after trying to rationalize it I realize that it was simply bad writing.

Although I seldom go to action movies or thrillers, there was a moderate amount of action and thrills in the later seasons, along with much boredom and lame tear-jerking.

It was certainly no "The Expanse" but I think that they were trying to take a tiny lame-ass step in that direction.

Overall maybe a B-minus.

Offline TWX

« Reply #2236 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 21:28:37 »
and

Most are most are written/directed/produced by men who are entitled and see women as property (see Harvey Weinstein and many others) and they're are either written for men or what they think women want and they have no clue because they've never actually cared about what women want. The critics are mostly men, the ratings board is mostly men, preview audiences (and audiences in general) are often mostly men. Even IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are dominated by men. The entire industry is male dominated all the way down so that's who they cater to. To be clear I'm pointing fingers at the executives, not men in general.

As for these franchises...
It's a gimmick, they can use it to revive a dead franchise or beat a dead horse to make an easy buck, as such it usually has a regurgitated script (only) slightly altered towards the female characters. It's low effort at best because they know it won't make much money but brings controversy (a.k.a. life) back to it and makes an easy buck while gauging interest in a big production revival. Ghostbusters has since been revived and Oceans is now getting a prequel, a spinoff and was going to get a sequel until Bernie Mac's death killed it. They're just trying to capitalize on the female narrative but ultimately it's still aimed at men and making money, they don't care about the mess, the hate, the destruction of your childhood memories or anything else, they just want the money and they don't care who or what they run over to get it.

Good female dominated films do exist but most will have lower ratings simply because of aforementioned male bias, if it isn't aimed at men it gets buried in the ratings, the more women involved or focused the lower it goes. Ghostbusters was being panned before anyone had even seen the previews so you won't find them rated at 9.1 on IMDB but let's be honest, no good lead can't make up for poor writing and women often get poorly written parts because of the men writing them having no clue, it's so bad that even women hate women in movies because they're so often poorly written. Did anyone really have high expectations for Ghostbusters?  The writing problem also plagues anime (and comics in general) which I at least partly blame for the rise of incels, as one guy put it, he realized he didn't hate women, he hated women written by men who hate women.

The two biggest problems with the 2016 Ghostbusters are that it was an attempt of a remake of of a movie that had a nearly perfect minimalist script, and that it included amateurish elements like the car and the fight-scene that read like something of a demented cosplayer's brain rather than anything to do with canon.

There's basically no wasted dialogue in the entirety of the 1984 film, everything either informs on the nature of the character or drives the narrative.  We learn that Venkman is a womanizing, borderline-conman, Stantz encyclopedic but also a pushover, Spengler is so tied up in his research mindset that he doesn't even realize that an attractive woman is hitting on him, and Dana is an expert in her profession but understandably freaked out by something outside of her expertise that violates her worldview.  The rest of the cast is equally fleshed-out with only the most minimal of dialogue.

In the 1984 movie they aren't heroes in the traditional sense.  When dragged out of their ivory-tower they do it for money, and when they are finally compelled to do it it's because they had to save their own skins literally from being jailed.  They're exhausted before they even get to the final confrontation, and end up making a hail-mary out of simple desperation that happens to work out for them.

My point in all of this isn't that women couldn't remake Ghostbusters, my point is that no one could remake GhostbustersGhostbusters was lightning in a bottle, it was a rogue-wave of perfect filmmaking where the whole is even better than the sum of its parts.  The sequel with even the same writers and production crew couldn't measure up to the original and they weren't working without knowledge of what went into the first one.

TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #2237 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 06:50:32 »
Tried to watch dat' football.  Bout 5 minutes in, N0oop.  Still boring and unremarkable.

my grandfather is a HUGE chiefs fan and my family went over to my grandparents house to watch the super bowl with him as a surprise (none of us like football lol). i had to pretend i was watching it but i really had no idea what was going on. it just looked like
  • men falling over each other
  • game stops and commercials play
  • usher comes out and sings and thrusts his hips
  • men fall over each other
  • game stops and commercials play
  • taylor swift
  • game ends WOOOOO

i do have to say that Post Malone's performance was breathtaking. that dude is seriously talented  :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2238 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 18:08:43 »
This is what true contentment looks like.  This monkey has just found water amidst a drought (due to climate change).

306188-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2239 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 23:03:30 »
Trying to watch Torchwood, kinda not getting into it. Is it worth going further.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2240 on: Fri, 16 February 2024, 08:26:19 »
Woahwoah,  Check out The Middleman (2008) Tv-series.  Very cool written dialog, sci-fi, likable main lead. Men in black parody, sorta.

306192-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2241 on: Fri, 16 February 2024, 19:25:55 »
Watched "Navalny" which I had not seen previously.

Cinematically it might have been a bit clumsy, but it really presented a good picture of what he was as a thoughtful man and someone who loved his country. What happened to him is a tragedy and a disgrace.

Offline iri

« Reply #2242 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 06:56:33 »
Does that include him participating in far right rallies or calling Georgians rodents?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2243 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 08:02:19 »
Watched "Navalny" which I had not seen previously.

Cinematically it might have been a bit clumsy, but it really presented a good picture of what he was as a thoughtful man and someone who loved his country. What happened to him is a tragedy and a disgrace.

It's important to remember that whenever you increase a group size to larger than ~30 people. The ingress of idiots and sycophants is guaranteed.

That is to say, the Nalvany guy is probably~ a good guy, but the (Nalvany and team) is ultimately not remarkably better than ANY other existing group, If / Once they establish power.

Communists in China, started out great,  now, they're the SAME evil-landlords they ousted/feathered during the cultural revolution.

The founding fathers, a few good guys, but America today, Same ol' same ol' the domain of local plutocrats/oligarchs/warlords/religious wizards.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2244 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 09:16:14 »
Does that include him participating in far right rallies or calling Georgians rodents?

The documentary touched on right-wing activities in the past but did not go into detail. Except for anti-immigration stances it is hard to find out about his early life, but then the view into Russia from the West is murky at best. You would know better, having lived there.

I have said it before, but I myself was raised as a very conservative, devout Christian Republican in the Jim Crow South of the 1950s-1960s. People can change, and, frankly, I cannot understand, or even imagine the attitudes and behaviors of Republicans today even though I grew up in a world where some of those attitudes were the norm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2245 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 09:30:08 »
Russian Doll.

This jewish woman gets stuck in ground hogs day. Pretty interesting, weird delivery of male jewish comedy. .

Offline phinix

« Reply #2246 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 11:15:39 »

(Attachment Link)

TP, how did you like the end of the show?
I feel sad, but also not satisfied, somehow they finished it in too simple way I think. There should be something better, she deserved better...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2247 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 11:52:45 »

(Attachment Link)

TP, how did you like the end of the show?
I feel sad, but also not satisfied, somehow they finished it in too simple way I think. There should be something better, she deserved better...

I felt in S3, the show was already bordering on highly fantastical. The direction they went, that was about as good an ending as was logically possible, they've incorporated so much silliness on route, that it became harder to take the events solemnly .

Offline iri

« Reply #2248 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 15:24:32 »
People can change
Maybe, but Caucasians never forgave Navalny for being in bed with the far right.

Nor did the Georgians for his desire to launch cruise missiles at the country.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2249 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 16:07:01 »

never forgave

So, are there any "good guys" over there for us to support?