Author Topic: Speed test  (Read 2913 times)

Offline darren.beauchamp

Speed test
« on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:33:35 »
Did anyone ever try to do this kind of test?

I like the feel of mechanical keyboards, but are they really more ergonomic? For me, it is more of a sentimental value, as I feel nostalgic about those hippo-teeth Mitsumis we used to have at home and in the libraries when I was a kid.
Mechanical KB sounds right and feels right. But is it really right for an impartial individual? Say, for my nephew, who is going to get his own desktop/laptop for school?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Speed test
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 05:29:24 »
So you want your nephew to do good on speed tests?? :confused:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline nugglets

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:42:44 »
I mean, everything is subjective isn't it? We can't tell you what is right for you, let alone your nephew.

I definitely type faster on mechs than domes, and I definitely feel less fatigue using the light switches that I love over domes.

And, anecdotally, I gave a Leopold with browns to my little cousins and they both commented pretty quickly that they were finishing papers / reports more quickly and accurately with it. But I also built them a new PC at the same time, so who knows how much the mech had anything to do with it really.

What they really like, though, is that I gave them some KK cats / paws and a colorful keyset to put on it.  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:56:29 »
You suck at typing,  get gud''

hahahaha 

Offline raxander

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 20:33:14 »
For me, my typing speed is fast enough (although still pretty slow) that it's not a limiting factor on any keyboard because it takes me longer to think of what I want to write than to actually type it.  I prefer mechanical keyboards because it's just a nicer feel, and I'm spending a lot of time on it, so it's worth being particular about.  Sounds like a great gift idea to me.

Offline darren.beauchamp

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 01:59:32 »
I mean, everything is subjective isn't it? We can't tell you what is right for you, let alone your nephew.

I definitely type faster on mechs than domes, and I definitely feel less fatigue using the light switches that I love over domes.

And, anecdotally, I gave a Leopold with browns to my little cousins and they both commented pretty quickly that they were finishing papers / reports more quickly and accurately with it. But I also built them a new PC at the same time, so who knows how much the mech had anything to do with it really.

What they really like, though, is that I gave them some KK cats / paws and a colorful keyset to put on it.  :p

Thanks! That's very helpful)

Offline darren.beauchamp

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 02:02:26 »

Not really ;D All I want is something ergonomic, something that would put minimum strain on his fingers. Something, well... comfortable.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 04:01:14 »

Not really ;D All I want is something ergonomic, something that would put minimum strain on his fingers. Something, well... comfortable.
So are you wanting a speed test  or a keyboard?

Comfort is mostly personal opinion,  knowing how to properly type should help though.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 23:39:39 »

Have to agree with Spamray, Technique makes a huge difference too!
Are you looking for an ergonomic board like a Kinesis Advantage or Microsoft Natural 4k? or just a standard board with browns or another switch of his liking?  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2017, 23:41:44 by Duckyreddy »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Diserasta

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 23:08:23 »
(Attachment Link)

This comes into it a lot.

That said I type the fastest and the most accurately on my Plum 35g electro-capacative, which is pretty much a rubber dome in the feedback it provides. It's certainly not my pet board (that goes to the Winkeyless with Kailh Speed Bronzes), but if I have work to do, the Plum comes out. I think it's because when the rubber dome gives way, it just turns into nothing, which is a much more ingrained "stop pressing now" message to me (I grew up on reasonably high quality rubber domes) as opposed to a click or the key slapping my finger.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:10:38 »
Unless you're some kind of typing athlete, speed isn't the bottom line, either. I'd much rather use a keeb whose feel and sound I enjoyed, than a slightly faster one about which I felt meh.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:34:47 »
I seem to type the fastest on Matias Clicks and Kailh low profile clicks than my other boards (even domes), but that's not really the point for me. I am particular about the feel and sound, but, to someone who hasn't really noticed his keyboard before, these things probably don't matter. I compare it to the first few times I saw HDTV; I didn't really see the point until I tried to go back. Not all domes feel terrible though.

I also like that, if a key stops working, I can just replace that one switch instead of trashing the whole board. Cleaning the board is also ever so slightly easier IMO.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.