Author Topic: Super-cheap MKs—okay, what's the deal?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Super-cheap MKs—okay, what's the deal?
« on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 18:44:16 »
GHers have bought and tested some of the recent $25–30 level MKs, and found many of them surprisingly decent. But now MKs in the $16–18 range are appearing, e.g.:

super-cheap MK #1

super-cheap MK #2

super-cheap MK #3

So what's the deal with these? Can they possibly be real, usable MKs? Is the bottom finally falling out of the MK-vs.-membrane market? Anyone want to find out? I'd volunteer, but unfortunately I must stay married.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Super-cheap MKs—okay, what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 18:58:09 »
It does kinda make since we are seeing this there are places to cut cost on something like a a cheapo magic force board.

Case
Caps

being the 2 biggest I would think! get rid of the case and just use a thin sheet of plastic cut to fit over the PCB add some cheap plastic molded legs to the bottom plastic screw/rivet it together boom you most likely saved 2-3 dollars off the price of the case materials being mass produced

Keycaps most likely one of the most expensive parts.. buy B-caps there in perfect legends cheap and most likely have minor defects. Otherwise just mass produce cheap-o plastic caps from what ever you can find..

I guess also there could be cost savings in the PCB quality also creating a cheaper lower quality PCB would most likely translate into a cheaper product in general.

I wouldn't mind seeing how stable/sturdy/quality one of these boards is its curious to say the least.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 19:09:27 »
I keep telling ya'lls,  that ya'llr collecting garbage, and that these things are worthless..

You've refused to believe me..

Here we are....

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:03:00 »
Just do a search on "mechanical keyboard" on YouTube and look at what comes up.  It's video after video reviewing the latest and cheapest generic black gaming keyboard, and reviewers gushing over how cheap they are, and isn't it amazing you can get a mechanical keyboard at this price?  Buy it, buy it, buy it!

This is how fashions die.  When mechanical keyboards were viewed as a step up from the typical mass-market keyboard, people wanted them.  When they come to be viewed as super-cheap ugly plastic junk — pretty soon, the way things are going — then the whole idea of a mechanical keyboard will become a turn-off to most people, and the market will implode, and you won't be able to give them away.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:04:06 »
I would not waste the money on any of those.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:09:18 »
These dont seem to be mechanical at all. Probably just rubberdomes with sliders, like this:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 01:03:29 »
These dont seem to be mechanical at all. Probably just rubberdomes with sliders, like this:

Show Image

your right least the first link reads Mechanical Feeling Gaming Keyboard

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 17:27:19 »
There are $22 RedDragon keyboards that have real switches but I'd rather just go out to lunch a couple of times than have to deal with that.

Buy once, cry once.

Offline dante

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:37:08 »
I've got two words for you: Child Labor.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 05:06:12 »
I've got two words for you: Child Labor.

Well, yeah... If any of you shop at Wal-Mart, you're already supporting that. I don't think kids are required. In countries that forbid collective agreements, protests or labor organization of any kind, adults must take whatever they can get, too.

Anyway, I agree: None of us would have any trouble doing a blindfold typing test and sensing the difference between a $30 knock-off MK and a Filco or Ducky. That said, I've typed on some real cheap MKs that were plenty fun, (e.g. here), seemed like they'd hold up just fine, and that I'd much rather use than any RD or membrane board.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg