Author Topic: Keyboards: To elevate or not to elevate for accurate typing?  (Read 5492 times)

Offline aref

I have been using all my keyboards with about 3/4" of elevation. I find that after many hours of typing, the finger strain I felt brought about diminished typing accuracy.
After about 10 hours of typing today, I removed the 1/2" from the rear elevation to a near perfectly flat keyboard. I have a 1/4" elevation in under the F-key row for the slightest pitch. When I did this, there was less finger strain. I'm no longer reaching upward for keys, I'm moving my fingers straight out from the home row. (I understand how this should reduce finger strain.) My end-of-day typing improved. Now I'm wondering if other keyboards I've sold or given away would have fared better for me had I changed the elevation in the same manner. I'm approaching 12 hours of typing and my accuracy is far better than it was four hours ago.

1. To elevate or not to elevate? What do you find is the better/best keyboard pitch, if any, for comfortable and accurate (lengthy) typing sessions?

2. Have you found that pitch changed the feel, or your perception of feel, of your keyboards' switches?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keyboards: To elevate or not to elevate for accurate typing?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 22:40:23 »
I used to elevate the rear of my keyboards by extending the little legs.

Then I joined GH and someone suggested retracting the legs (there was a thread about it a while back).

Since then I have always had the keyboards lying flat on the desk.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 22:42:43 »
I heard that elevating the part closest to you is the best. But I haven't figured out a propper way to do that, so I keep it as flat as possible

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 22:49:02 »
I heard that elevating the part closest to you is the best. But I haven't figured out a propper way to do that, so I keep it as flat as possible

That would place strain on a lot of cables.

My QFS cable comes out the lower middle rear of the keyboard.  Raising the front of the keyboard would place the cable and/or mini USB plug under additional strain.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 22:52:08 »
I used to elevate the rear of my keyboards by extending the little legs.

Then I joined GH and someone suggested retracting the legs (there was a thread about it a while back).

Since then I have always had the keyboards lying flat on the desk.

I've become a believer in flat keyboards. Pretty much zero elevation has made a difference for the better.

Offline aref

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 22:58:13 »

I tried this with 1/4" self-stick felt pads--one on either side of the edge closest to me. I didn't care for the feel. I still
had an angled reach, down rather than up, for keys, which continued to cause finger strain. Thus far, flat is working.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 23:02:16 »
I heard that putting board on lap is also good

Offline aref

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 23:08:28 »
Pacifist: I have to correct my post in response to you. I tried two 1/4" felt pads stacked, making the front elevation 1/2" higher.

I tired the keyboard on my lap, but I found it awkward. I've also adjusted my chair height and taken the arms off my chair to see if it made a difference. But nothing feels as good as making the KB flat. However, the only way to know is to try.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 23:23:13 »
Any way, for accurate typing the overall keyboard height (desk height), chair height, chair position, seating posture and distance from keyboard/screen would probably have a greater impact.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 00:41:48 »
Having the keyboard be as flat as possible makes it so you're less likely to be bending your wrists back.

Some of the microsoft ergonomic keyboards come with risers to make the keyboard have a negative angle. Also, keyboard trays often have a way to tilt the trays to give you a negative angle.

Offline aref

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 01:08:08 »
Having the keyboard be as flat as possible makes it so you're less likely to be bending your wrists back.

Some of the microsoft ergonomic keyboards come with risers to make the keyboard have a negative angle. Also, keyboard trays often have a way to tilt the trays to give you a negative angle.

Years ago I tried Microsoft and Logitech's ergonomic keyboards. I found negative angle can be a bit tricky for me. Had Microsoft gotten it right for everyone, the keyboard would have been a unanimous success. I know it continues to have dedicated users; but it didn't work for me. It may have been a matter of the the keyboard's configuration rather than the negative angle that I didn't like. Logitech's also didn't make the grade for me.

I've reset my desk height, tried different chair heights and with and without chair arms, keyboard positioning (closer to me, farther from me), but the most profound result I've gotten is from removing the elevation from the far edge of the keyboard. Each of us has different preferences, attributable to different body size, arm length, hand size, and finger length; and I'm sure these account for one's preferences in how a KB and the user are positioned. Less wrist bending, as mentioned above, and less stressful reaching upward for keys above the home row, I've found, to make a difference for me. My curiosity is to see if others have found the same to be true for them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 02:10:51 »
The “ideal” case is holding your arms out with your elbows bent 90°, the keyboard split in 2 parts such that your arms don’t angle in too much, and your wrists stay as close to a neutral position as possible. The ideal tilt is a bit up at the near end of the keyboard / down at the far end, and also “tenting” with the inner edge of each half elevated quite a bit above the outside edge.

To get the keyboard to that height involves, if you’re sitting and have typical body proportions, putting it on a tray just barely above the level of your lap.

If you put the keyboard on a desk any higher than that, then your forearms will likely be slightly upward tilted, at which point a negative tilt on the keyboard is going to cause you to bend your wrists downward, which is not ergonomic; so in that case, probably leave a bit of positive tilt. (But note that this is not the ideal angle for your elbows.)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 03:31:42 »
Raise your chair, drop your arms, flatten your board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.