Author Topic: I need a new monitor  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Elocutive

I need a new monitor
« on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 15:52:57 »
Hello everyone, I need a new monitor. I already have 2 1080p dells, and a gtx 770 classified graphics card. I will be getting a 980 for christmas, so getting 1440p monitor shouldn't be that big of a deal; plus the games I play aren't that demanding. (tf2 and csgo) I have never used an 120hz monitor or a 1440p monitor, and I really only have the money for one or the other. The only thing I do is play games, browse the web, and do homework; no picture work, no photoshop, so I don't think it needs to have outstanding colors. I have 3 options: I could get a PB278Q (1440p), aVG248QE (144hz) or i could save for a while and get the PG278Q (144hz and 1440p) I don't really care if I'm spending all of my 500 dollar budget or only spending 250, but I wan't to feel blown away with what I am getting. Should I get
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: I need a new monitor
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 15:56:54 »
i like benQ's offerings, they seems pretty good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:42:11 »
GET the pg278q...  GET IT...
I wouldn't even have money for ramen if I do!

Wanting Skeldon

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:42:51 »
GET the pg278q...  GET IT...
I wouldn't even have money for ramen if I do!

the solution to all your problems is again, to eat more ramen

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:28:13 »
wrong sub bruh
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:28:18 »
starve until you can afford ramen again and keep at it. it's 144Hz and 1440p. too bad it's not IPS. really nice though.

a koreamonitor that you can OC is another option but not a given that you'll get it overclockable to 100Hz+ so it's a big risk.

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:30:32 »
wrong sub bruh
Yeah realized that as soon as I posted it

Wanting Skeldon

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:32:39 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:55:34 »
starve until you can afford ramen again and keep at it. it's 144Hz and 1440p. too bad it's not IPS. really nice though.

a koreamonitor that you can OC is another option but not a given that you'll get it overclockable to 100Hz+ so it's a big risk.

100hz on ips is worthless for gaming, because currently no ips has ulmb or lightboost..

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:14:14 »
^what are you talking about? high refresh rate is enhanced by, but independent from ULMB/Lightboost. not that it matters, no IPS panel exceeds 60hz natively anyway. overclocking leads to artifacts on the screen from what i've heard, and i tend to avoid those Korean monitors due to shoddy build quality

OP, if you want to be blown away then the Rog SWIFT is your only choice. over your budget but i'm sure you won't even need to eat when you see how awesome that screen is
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:16:24 by whentheclouds »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:20:52 »
^what are you talking about? high refresh rate is enhanced by, but independent from ULMB/Lightboost. not that it matters, no IPS panel exceeds 60hz natively anyway. overclocking leads to artifacts on the screen from what i've heard, and i tend to avoid those Korean monitors due to shoddy build quality

OP, if you want to be blown away then the Rog SWIFT is your only choice. over your budget but i'm sure you won't even need to eat when you see how awesome that screen is

only if you overclock it too high ;)
I think it worked really well at 96Hz - even 120Hz but it just 'felt' too high, or rather, I was too scared to leave it at that :p since people reported problems with it.
the build quality is iffy indeed, but not horrible.

I don't care for ULMB/lightboost, as it introduces input lag. input lag is IMO the most important, don't like when it gets noticeable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:23:54 »

I think it worked really well at 96Hz - even 120Hz but it just 'felt' too high, or rather, I was too scared to leave it at that :p since people reported problems with it.

I don't care for ULMB/lightboost, as it introduces input lag. input lag is IMO the most important, don't like when it gets noticeable.

/headdesk

You know what.. I'm just going to stop helping people on this subject.. you'll be happier to remain ig-nant anyway.

Good bye.. 

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:35:36 »
heh, i just don't like the concept of overclocking monitors in general. about ULMB/Lightboost, it adds something like 4ms input lag, which i don't think is noticeable unless you have it side by side with another monitor. consider that most online games already have anywhere between 30-100ms, 4 is insignificant in comparison. but with ULMB on you eliminate motion blurring completely, so i'd say it's worth it

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:43:00 »

/headdesk

Show Image

You know what.. I'm just going to stop helping people on this subject.. you'll be happier to remain ig-nant anyway.

Good bye.. 

damn trolls.

heh, i just don't like the concept of overclocking monitors in general. about ULMB/Lightboost, it adds something like 4ms input lag, which i don't think is noticeable unless you have it side by side with another monitor. consider that most online games already have anywhere between 30-100ms, 4 is insignificant in comparison. but with ULMB on you eliminate motion blurring completely, so i'd say it's worth it

well possibly. but I heard it was something like doubling the input lag at worst, which sounds bad to me. I've used some 20ms input lag monitors that were noticeably a lot laggier than ones measured 10ms (by the same reviewing site) so I'm very wary of that.

also online or not, 30-100ms ping is way different than input lag :p 100ms input lag would be horrible to play with.

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:52:39 »
Would a 980 be able to play CSGO in 1440p, 144hz and high settings?

Wanting Skeldon

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:06:41 »
not sure about high and keeping ~150fps steadily, I'd say it depends on the rest of your system.
but you wanna play low to get maximum visual advantage anyway ;)

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:38:30 »
lol, even a 770 is more than sufficient for 144hz at Ultra settings. if you're not going to play the newest AAA titles then no point dumping money on a 980

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:39:38 »
csgo so ****ty coded though, and it's very cpu-dependant afaik. and if you play 32player deathmatch servers, it can take a beating.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:50:31 »
possibly. i don't play enough CSGO to verify your statements, i only know that both Dota and CSGO are about the same, resource wise (i.e. not exactly intensive). i found this video of a guy playing 10 man deathmatch with a 770 @1440 Ultra:
if you don't want to watch, here are his specs:

Core i5 3570k
Corsair TX 750
1 TB Data HDD
8 GB Ram
FPS: Min-171 Max-298 Average-224

either way, i think everyone will agree that a 980 just for CSGO and TF2 is a colossal waste, unless you see yourself grabbing a new game some time next year. i hear Star Wars Battlefront 3 will come out in summer '15, which is fantastic news for someone like me who grew up with the first 2 games

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 23:21:12 »
nice, that should work then :)
I'd also indeed go with a 970 instead of a 980. but I'm all about low power draw, I use a 750ti in my build.

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 23:48:02 »
i agree with tp pg278q is the way to go especially with a 980

my personal set up includes a 4k but i use a lot of VS so the screen works out better for me
However when i play diablo 3 cod or LoL the cursor is super super small due to game devs catering to the least common denominator
therefore had i only been gaming on it id go with pg278q without looking back

the dell i have is atm 10-22-2014 $700 something USD
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=860-BBCD&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 03:50:58 »
I hear Monoprice makes some really nice monitors. Can anyone confirm?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:47:10 »
I think they have rebranded Koreamonitors, which can be nice/alright.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 13:28:18 »
IPS, PLS and VA panels with adaptive sync over displayport running at 120hz will be appearing early next year. Unless you really must have it waiting may be a really good idea.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:18:49 »
I have absolutely no idea of what to look for in a monitor in terms of Hz, refresh rate, colours, resolution or what.

I've got a portrait monitor which is pretty awesome, but other than that I use a TV and a 20 something inch monitor that was pretty cheap.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:21:51 »
IPS, PLS and VA panels with adaptive sync over displayport running at 120hz will be appearing early next year. Unless you really must have it waiting may be a really good idea.
Yeah think I am going to wait and buy more keyboards before I buy a new ballin monitor.

Wanting Skeldon