Author Topic: Kink/Crick In the Neck  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Kavik

Kink/Crick In the Neck
« on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 17:47:35 »
Is there any actual solution to a kink/crick in the neck? Every stretch or massage or whatever technique I find online provides at most 5 to 10 seconds of relief. Any exercises, drug cocktails, or topical treatments you've had success with?

I strained my neck slightly during exercise last week, and it felt 100x worse in the morning. It healed after a few days, but I guess I slept on it wrong last night, and it has returned.

Inb4 it's caused by constricted blood vessels that only veggies can fix.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Faceman76

Re: Kink/Crick In the Neck
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 18:06:51 »
Capzacin HP.  Apply after you cool off from a shower. 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 18:23:49 »
Veggies is obviously the MOST important component of the universal solution of human challenges.

Sidequest, you want to extend the neck in the evening for 10-15 minutes before dozing off.

If you have gravity boots, or an incline bench, that works most easily,  if not, You can compress the pillow under the neck so it applies a light pressure extension.   DO NOT fall asleep like this, resume normal pillow configuration before sleeping.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 18:45:30 »
Nothing works for me, and I can feel my shoulder getting worse each month. Saw a PT who gave me stretches that made it much worse. Topical rubs do nothing, extra strength Tylenol barely has an effect(I'm up to 3x 500mg a day now,) deep tissue with a croquet ball only works for a few seconds, numbing it with a tens device only works when it is on, heat pads do literally nothing, and ice only numbs it temporarily. The only thing that feels nice is soaking in a super hot bath, or getting a massage. But I can't live in a bath, and massages are too expensive.
It hurts so ****ing much, all the time, nonstop. I have no idea what caused the injury, and no clue why it keeps getting worse and worse rapidly. But on the positive side, the pain in my shoulder/neck has made me all but forget about my piriformis sciatica though.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 18:57:09 »
Heat and cold can work, sometimes one, sometimes both. You have to invent the proper regimen for yourself.

I try to stretch and roll my neck and shoulders every morning.

edit - Acetaminophen is good for fevers. Ibuprofen (or Naprosen) is best for muscles
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 18:57:30 »
NT,   sounds like an autoimmune disorder induced by your consumption of toxic animal agricultural products.

It's a hedonistic pain spiral.

Tp4 recommends 100% Veggies.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 22:57:44 »
Heat and cold can work, sometimes one, sometimes both. You have to invent the proper regimen for yourself.

I try to stretch and roll my neck and shoulders every morning.

edit - Acetaminophen is good for fevers. Ibuprofen (or Naprosen) is best for muscles
I wholeheartedly agree with all Fohat  said (this time😀)and would only add that, in the case of muscle spasms, the sooner you can get an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen or naproxen) in, the less it gets worse and quicker it will heal.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 08:35:07 »
Weird,, right arm soreness has developed into a neck crick...

/upset now + fever

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 08:37:18 »
Popeyes fried chicken
Popeyes fried chicken
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 08:38:23 »
Popeyes fried chicken
Popeyes fried chicken

/maximum triggered....

engage coping strategy... /spring onion naan.

284929-0

Offline s8erdude

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 10:56:15 »
Best suggestion is to switch over to split columnar stagger 40%  :p :p :p :p :p

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 00:21:30 »
Got some Tiger Balm because Icy Hot wasn't cutting it anymore. Turns out I am super allergic to camphor, so now there's a burning itchy red rash on top of the intense shoulder pain. Very cool!

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 02:58:03 »
Got some Tiger Balm because Icy Hot wasn't cutting it anymore. Turns out I am super allergic to camphor, so now there's a burning itchy red rash on top of the intense shoulder pain. Very cool!
CAPZASIN HP makes icy hot and tiger balm look weak in comparison.  Just be careful if you have sensitive skin or go out in the sun right after, it can burn you.

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 07:15:49 »

Hahahahaha.. tigrbalm cures everything about as good as robitussin.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 10:40:22 »
CAPZASIN HP makes icy hot and tiger balm look weak in comparison.  Just be careful if you have sensitive skin or go out in the sun right after, it can burn you.

I bought the Walgreens off brand simply called "Capsaicin" last week per your recommendation. At first, it was a mild burning in a couple spots, just enough to be distracting. It helped a bit. A couple hours later, I went for a walk outside, and it started burning like the worst sunburn mixed with taking uncoated niacin, everywhere I'd applied it. Even after taking a shower it kept burning, albeit less intensely. I also got some burning lips and eyes for a few seconds since washing my hands hadn't completely removed it from my hands before I touched my face. I definitely need to be careful with that stuff.

I also bought Bengay. I found this to be more effective at pain relief (rather than simple distraction). By the time I used it, the kink in my neck had mostly resolved, so I'm not sure how much it helped that, but it does help my chronic neck pain. It doesn't kill pain, but it takes the edge off, making life a bit more bearable. It starts working immediately, so there might be a bit of placebo effect, but, hey, placebo effect is still an effect. It also helps my lower back during workouts since it tends to get extremely tight when I do any kind of physical exertion.

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 03:54:26 »
Is there any actual solution to a kink/crick in the neck? Every stretch or massage or whatever technique I find online provides at most 5 to 10 seconds of relief. Any exercises, drug cocktails, or topical treatments you've had success with?

I strained my neck slightly during exercise last week, and it felt 100x worse in the morning. It healed after a few days, but I guess I slept on it wrong last night, and it has returned.

Did you try going to the doctor?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Kavik

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 13:20:05 »

Did you try going to the doctor?

Doctors are not the magicians people think they are. He'd probably just tell me to be more careful lifting or not to sleep on it wrong again and then give me over-the-counter NSAIDs. And, by the time I actually got an appointment, the pain would be mostly resolved. These things only last two or three days, so I was looking for a way to manage the pain in the short term.