Author Topic: Why galaxy gear is stupid.  (Read 4404 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Why galaxy gear is stupid.
« on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 08:41:03 »
Lift your hand to your ears.... you feel how uncomfortable that is?

No lift your "Wrist" to your ears....  even more uncomfortable.. higher lift, more shoulder muscle involvement

Texting is the best way to communicate, Ergodoxically speaking...

with texting, your shoulders are in relaxed position. and.... it doesn't contort a (single) side of your body, throwing you into a sideways unbalanced state. (the cellphone arm)

Offline Turbo Slaab

Re: Why galaxy gear is stupid.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 08:57:06 »
Cellphones themselves cause a sideways unbalanced state. Unless of course, you have two of them. I think mankind will be ok.
Looking for CC's!

Offline bobjane

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:02:56 »
IMO texting is the dumbest form of communication.

I hate it when someone sends you 20 texts with one question per text, and this is what most texters do. Like seriously, you can't organize your thoughts far enough in advance to put more than one question into each text?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:16:35 »
Whats your question Tp I dont see it, or are you just making us aware of your love for texting?

Speaker phone?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:25:11 »
IMO texting is the dumbest form of communication.

I hate it when someone sends you 20 texts with one question per text, and this is what most texters do. Like seriously, you can't organize your thoughts far enough in advance to put more than one question into each text?

the thing you should dislike about this is that you have stupid friends who can't organize their thoughts.

Texting is significantly more efficient than speaking....

Had your friend not sent you those 20 texts, he would've stuttered through it in voice.. that is hardly any better.

He can text you those stutters faster than he can voice it to you,  AND you can read it faster than you can listen..

Texting FTW...

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:26:53 »
Well, if you think about it, the Galaxy Gear just serves as a notification screen with a clock. You would still need to pull your phone out of your pocket, or have a bluetooth headset. All the watch does is answer the call.

Though I'd agree. The Galaxy Gear is stupid. I would rather have the Qualcomm Toq
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:44:43 »
Well, if you think about it, the Galaxy Gear just serves as a notification screen with a clock. You would still need to pull your phone out of your pocket, or have a bluetooth headset. All the watch does is answer the call.

Though I'd agree. The Galaxy Gear is stupid. I would rather have the Qualcomm Toq

Wrist cancer

Offline bobjane

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 09:56:59 »

the thing you should dislike about this is that you have stupid friends who can't organize their thoughts.

Now that's just weak trolling. You get just as many dumb texters in work and business. Another thing I find in business is that 8/10 people who text you turn out to be timewasters or tirekickers, those who are serious usually call.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 10:01:25 »

Now that's just weak trolling. You get just as many dumb texters in work and business. Another thing I find in business is that 8/10 people who text you turn out to be timewasters or tirekickers, those who are serious usually call.

I suppose you've never stopped to analyze "why" that's the case, and also "why" that your experience with "PEOPLE" has nothing to do with the transmission protocol TEXTING

Offline bobjane

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 10:46:17 »

I suppose you've never stopped to analyze "why" that's the case, and also "why" that your experience with "PEOPLE" has nothing to do with the transmission protocol TEXTING

It's ok. I'm sure you'll understand once your experience in communication expands beyond facebook, emoticons and trying to get a rise out of people on the internet.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 10:50:11 »
There are lots of cell phone users who can't speak complex sentences using long words, either.  :p

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:15:52 »
Texting FTW!

I prefer to actually see people when I talk to em (because gestures and facial expressions are part of verbal communication, for text we have emoticons). ;)
Also, the recipient doesn't have to be on the phone the same time you are for txt msg, he can read and reply later, good for people who are hard to get or busy...
Plus, it's silent (Which is convenient if you don't wanna disturb other people, like in a meeting or in the library, or when you are discussing private matters others shouldn't hear).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:25:15 »

It's ok. I'm sure you'll understand once your experience in communication expands beyond facebook, emoticons and trying to get a rise out of people on the internet.

You're making an attribution error..  Even if there is a correlation between your experience with ineffective people and their text-use/abundance..  That says nothing about "texting" being an inferior mode of communication.

The most obvious example is "books".. smart people read, no?   Books have been the premiere and earliest way of "texting".

I try not to sound condescending but you've left me no choice, when you've continued to perpetuate unsubstantiated h8 towards "texting"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:27:29 »
Texting FTW!

I prefer to actually see people when I talk to em (because gestures and facial expressions are part of verbal communication, for text we have emoticons). ;)
Also, the recipient doesn't have to be on the phone the same time you are for txt msg, he can read and reply later, good for people who are hard to get or busy...
Plus, it's silent (Which is convenient if you don't wanna disturb other people, like in a meeting or in the library, or when you are discussing private matters others shouldn't hear).

exactly..

Only stupid people and old people talk to each other..    That is not to say there arn't stupid people who also text.

The point is,   TEXT is currently the most efficient way to communicate 

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:29:50 »

exactly..

Only stupid people and old people talk to each other..    That is not to say there arn't stupid people who also text.

Show Image

+1
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:37:56 »

exactly..

Show Image

+1

I do agree with Soul Hunter that the "emotions" from speech is missing..

Which is WHY I go through the trouble of using these highly expressive emoticons.

AND it is my belief that for GH forum to grow, we need to implement these emoticons NATIVELY...

Offline Malphas

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:45:15 »
Texting has its place. Telephone has it's place. Which is more efficient depends entirely on context.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:54:40 »

Well he's right.  Dumb people text you.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:57:48 »

Well he's right.  Dumb people text you.

demik texts me
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 12:13:58 »
i do no such thing.

i dont even have your numbers!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 13:48:28 »
TEXTING SUCKS BECAUSE CELL PHONES HAVE SHlTTY KEYBOARDS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 13:53:23 »

I usually can't tell because I'm driving while texting because I can't call
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 13:55:56 »
I'M ONLY DUMB ENOUGH TO SEND TEXT MESSAGES AT THE WHEEL WHEN I'M DRUNK. WORKS GREAT FOR POSTING ON FORUMS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 16:16:45 »
I'M ONLY DUMB ENOUGH TO SEND TEXT MESSAGES AT THE WHEEL WHEN I'M DRUNK. WORKS GREAT FOR POSTING ON FORUMS.

Tho typing all CAPS makes it somewhat easier, eh? :p

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:29:29 »
Texting is for people with something not important enough to say with real words. 75% of the the time it's empty vapid and mindless, which is odd because one would think writing would give an individual more time to contemplate what they are attempting to communicate. But the form lends itself to laziness and unthinking, a la twitter.

I'm not saying it's useless- far from it. Communicating something short and concise that is relatively urgent is an important tool. But when people are holding entire 'conversations' with butchered couple lettered 'words' and phrases just because they can't figure out what to do with their ADHD minds and twitchy hands for more than 2 minutes at a time, that's what makes the technology seem hollow.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:51:09 »
Texting is for people with something not important enough to say with real words. 75% of the the time it's empty vapid and mindless, which is odd because one would think writing would give an individual more time to contemplate what they are attempting to communicate. But the form lends itself to laziness and unthinking, a la twitter.

I'm not saying it's useless- far from it. Communicating something short and concise that is relatively urgent is an important tool. But when people are holding entire 'conversations' with butchered couple lettered 'words' and phrases just because they can't figure out what to do with their ADHD minds and twitchy hands for more than 2 minutes at a time, that's what makes the technology seem hollow.

Ok... you guys gotta stop mixing the  "****ty people"  who have "****ty things to say"   with the discussion of  "Texting"..

Even if texting was never made possible,  these ****ty people would be making Bull**** phone calls to you all the time...

That's why we have the iconic  teenage girl on the phone in the movies...

My point is that texting is superior to voice-com   given the same person....

If this person is incapable of making important texts, it's also likely that they make useless phone calls, had phone calls been their only option.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 19:13:14 »
Well first of all, I can choose not to answer a phone call depending on who it is. When I receive a text, it forces you to open it no matter what. Either it displays the message automatically, or you are compelled to open it against your will.

Second, I know plenty of intelligent people who still send me idiotic texts. When I speak to them on the phone it's for a reason, with purpose. Example: A friend of mine is a grad student at MIT, all our conversations are stimulating, meaningful, and leave me pondering our discussion. The last text he sent me was, and I quote, "snak pliskin is kool srs eyepanch msn"

Third, as a professional line of communication texting is neither as efficient nor as secure as in-company email. As an aspiring producer, I send tons of emails a day that would be off in ther nether of someones phone if I were texting them. That and via email I can attach large files and documents for reference. I could call people as well for a more personable conversation, which is much more important, meaningful, and informative than if I were to simply text them.

I guess I'm saying that texting certainly has it's place in modern sopciety, but I don't consider it serious meaningful nor professional. It's instant gratification with that security blanket of anonymity, which I think is both a crutch and a cop-out in many situations.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 19:17:52 »
All I know is that double smiley faces means you're getting laid.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 19:26:52 »
All I know is that double smiley faces means you're getting laid.

lol,  so true!
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:05:03 »
:):)
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:29:35 »

Connect an ErgoDox to your phone.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:53:54 »
FREE TP