Author Topic: Irrational Fear of Wifi  (Read 7187 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Irrational Fear of Wifi
« on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 15:03:52 »
Anyone else haz this ?

Tp4 always leaves phone on the opposite side of the room..

And if Tp4 sees a router/ frontend somewhere..  Always shuffles casually away from that position..

--- And yet Tp4 did buy an n66u way back when and put it on max transmission to get good connection. .hahahahhahaha

161670-0

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: Irrational Fear of Wifi
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 15:49:46 »
Read this as "irrational fear of wife", and I was going to add something to the conversation

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:12:06 »
I have an irrational fear of irrationality..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:29:17 »
When my sister lived with me we had the router configured to enable WiFi on a schedule: usually between 7 and midnight.
She was wary of being exposed to too much radio waves, and I do not find that to be irrational.
I know enough about the current state of research that there have been indications that there could be some risk but that how and how much still is largely unknown.

... But living in the direct path of a cell-phone tower's antenna is much worse.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:30:48 by Findecanor »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:47:10 »
To add to everyone's fear, we are also exposed to radio and television transmissions in the MHz range.  We are exposed to all the GPS transmissions, cell phone transmissions, magnetic fields of electrical currents, and microwave transmissions as well.  There's nothing we can do about that though.   

Just don't sleep with a WiFi router under your head or on your nuts and you'll probably be OK.*  :cool:

* MaNiFeX is not liable for any decisions made based on the above statements.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:54:36 »
WiFi causes tumors and cancer from prolonged close-proximity use. That's why I don't keep my phone in my pant pocket, cause that **** is right next to my balls.

**** makes bees autistic, so it can't be completely healthy to humans.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 18:15:39 »
What noise does an autistic bee make?
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 19:06:29 »
What noise does an autistic bee make?

We are the bees who say  Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing...

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 19:53:08 »
To add to everyone's fear, we are also exposed to radio and television transmissions in the MHz range.  We are exposed to all the GPS transmissions, cell phone transmissions, magnetic fields of electrical currents, and microwave transmissions as well.  There's nothing we can do about that though.   

Just don't sleep with a WiFi router under your head or on your nuts and you'll probably be OK.*  :cool:

That's what I told my ex. She never let me microwave her food because radiation.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 19:57:01 »
Read this as "irrational fear of wife", and I was going to add something to the conversation

Does Mrs. sneaky potato know that you were about to speak ill of her? hahahahahaha

/leverage.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:01:58 »

That's what I told my ex. She never let me microwave her food because radiation.

Tp4 try not to stand in front of the microwave as it's doin' its thing..

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:16:40 »
I have a router sitting above my bed...Maybe I should move that.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:19:11 »
I have a router sitting above my bed...Maybe I should move that.

Nah, just put it under your pillow. That way you don't have to share the radiations with the rest of your family and you can keep them all.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:34:47 »
I'd be more concerned sticking Bluetooth devices into one's ears.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:20:51 »
If I have too much sodium over an extended period of time I become pretty sensitive to unshielded high voltage, but never a wifi fears. However, 2.4GHz makes me want to break things.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:36:28 »
We are like animals participating in our own experiment which is called "let's see what happens!". As long as no one drops dead, we continue the experiment. Solid knowledge about the long term side effects comes by hindsight. In 20 years from now we might know more, which is pretty useless for us now  :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:43:00 by Eszett »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 08:54:45 »
We are like animals participating in our own experiment which is called "let's see what happens!". As long as no one drops dead, we continue the experiment. Solid knowledge about the long term side effects comes by hindsight. In 20 years from now we might know more, which is pretty useless for us now  :(

There was a movie, with keanu...

Johnny Mnemonic..   

Where in the future,  people develop a brain degenerative disease caused by electronics overloading the airwaves...

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:00:32 »
It seems that your fear IS irrational, although fears are irrational as they are. WiFi signals are just that, signals. They shouldn't cause any harm.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:50:33 »
It seems that your fear IS irrational, although fears are irrational as they are. WiFi signals are just that, signals. They shouldn't cause any harm.
Yeah, the signals are completely harmless. The carrier waves for those signals on the other hand ... :-þ

WiFi causes tumors and cancer from prolonged close-proximity use. That's why I don't keep my phone in my pant pocket, cause that **** is right next to my balls.
Radio waves, such as those used for Wifi and cell phones (often spoken of together because they are close in the radio spectrum) is not ionizing radiation - they don't mutate cells into becoming cancer cells.
But .. I have seen a study that have shown that they could promote growth of existing tumors. This means that if you have microtumors of cancer cells that would otherwise be killed off by your immune system before they would cause any harm, exposing yourself to wifi/cell phone - spectrum radio waves increases the risk of those cancer cells turning into a dangerous tumour.

There are also a few studies that say that they the cells could kill brain cells .. which if you look at how many iZombies there are everywhere who never waver their eyes off their phones,  does not look entirely implausible, does it? ;)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 15:11:49 »
Wait until they release wireless power, they're really going to nuke your brain....

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 15:23:06 »
Do you have EHS?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 15:31:02 »

True story.  Both of my grandparents died of brain tumors.  Live under high voltage power lines.  Cancer cluster in the hood.  As well, my best friend's brother and mother died of brain tumors having lived in London near power lines...  I mean, this is just anecdotal, but I'm not buying a house anywhere near big lines. 

Irrational fear of WiFi?  We don't know.  Back to using WiFi and WaiFu.  Stay safe!

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 17:17:53 »
I'll have to dig up the data when i get home, i think i still have it somewhere.

When i used to do phone testing we brought over a testing firm from Germany that testing the radioactivity of cell phones and how that would effect a human. After a few days of testing on 32 phones all running at the same time, the results showed that you would have to sit in that environment (phone call, data and text all at the same time) constantly for 8-10 hours before you body would even start to be effected by the radioactivity. Your AC power plug puts off more radiation than most phones do these days. I know this isn't wifi, but rest assured you will be fine.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:05:07 »

True story.  Both of my grandparents died of brain tumors.  Live under high voltage power lines.  Cancer cluster in the hood.  As well, my best friend's brother and mother died of brain tumors having lived in London near power lines...  I mean, this is just anecdotal, but I'm not buying a house anywhere near big lines. 

Irrational fear of WiFi?  We don't know.  Back to using WiFi and WaiFu.  Stay safe!

Welll..... There are lots of people living near power lines,  and there are LOTS of power lines..

Given your description,

It's more likely that your genetics possess a hereditary inclination towards cancers..

But, all the same, do look into similar life habits that may have been passed down which may be -carcinogenic- hahahaha..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 18:08:05 »
Wait until they release wireless power, they're really going to nuke your brain....

Tp4 already haz 3x wireless qi cellfone chargers in the house

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 06:31:18 »
Don't be silly. Radio waves in the microwave spectrum used by cell phones and Wifi (800MHz to 5GHz) are very far from X-rays (30 petahertz and up) and Gamma rays (10 exahertz and up).

In-between those rays in the spectrum is visible light.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 06:55:06 »
Where the LiFi at?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 13:09:07 »

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:53:27 »
With a smartphone you prolly can't avoid Wifi. But with a desktop pc, ethernet is basically better in almost every aspect:
  • ethernet having the faster connection speed
  • ethernet being more relieable, as for there's no fluctuation in connection speed, and no other external impacts. Often people come to me with "there is no inet connection anymore" problems, and while Wifi is dead for some reason, ether still works, and works, and works. Relieable!
  • ethernet being more save, as eavesdropping/hacking is far not as easy there
  • with ethernet you get a better feeling, if you are abit anxious about health risks. Even if the health risk is non-existant, a better feeling is a better feeling, and therefore there is a positive psychosomatic effect
Privately, I'm using power-LAN, since it's not possible to install an Ethernet cable to my desktop PC. I think that is the second best choice, besides Ethernet.

What people call "rational" is a hindsight logic. If there is no solid proof for a health risk yet, they think there is no risk. But risk doesn't care much about proofs. Sometimes it's smarter to be irrational and avoid certain things, even if there is no solid proof for it (yet)being dangerous.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:29:08 by Eszett »

Offline Altis

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 10:56:44 »
I'd say the risk from cellular signals is greater than that of wifi due to the signal strength at the emitter source.

More interesting perhaps is the push for wireless charging as the energy levels are quite high -- enough to heat up your body tissue (though cell phones do this as well).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 13:17:11 »
I'd say the risk from cellular signals is greater than that of wifi due to the signal strength at the emitter source.
Phones themselves have limits to signal strength, measured in power absorbed / mass of tissue: Specific absorption rate. The EU and US measure SAR slightly differently, but both have set legal SAR limits and most phones emit about half of the legal limit.

Cell phone towers, however...
They do not have limits everywhere. Where I live, there is none but there is practically a lower limit to them as carriers are required to be able to service an area "sufficiently" to be eligible to do it at all.
Unlike phones, each antenna also emits in a single direction.
Then, not every cell tower is backed with a wire to the network but through a directional microwave link.

Where as with cell phones you have a choice if you want to radiate yourself with them or not, with microwave links and cell phone towers, you don't.

Offline Altis

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 14:59:02 »
Phones themselves have limits to signal strength, measured in power absorbed / mass of tissue: Specific absorption rate. The EU and US measure SAR slightly differently, but both have set legal SAR limits and most phones emit about half of the legal limit.

Cell phone towers, however...
They do not have limits everywhere. Where I live, there is none but there is practically a lower limit to them as carriers are required to be able to service an area "sufficiently" to be eligible to do it at all.
Unlike phones, each antenna also emits in a single direction.
Then, not every cell tower is backed with a wire to the network but through a directional microwave link.

Where as with cell phones you have a choice if you want to radiate yourself with them or not, with microwave links and cell phone towers, you don't.

Oh I agree that at least the phone itself is optional while the towers are not. These days, everyone's streaming music and video to their phones constantly so just imagine all the signals passing through.

However, the phone emits signal an omni-directional signal, with signal strength needing to be quadrupled for every doubling of distance. If the tower is far/difficult to get to, the phone has to put out a very high-power signal -- right up against your head/body.

Wifi by contrast is all very close-range so the signal strengths are very low, with Bluetooth being even lower (hence crap range).

The towers are directional and by the time they reach the nearest person, the signal strength is lower than what comes off the phone.

It's actually quite amazing just how far and obstructed a cell phone can still work through, especially considering all the other air traffic.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline vonPunki

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 14:04:52 »
They're just signals?  What about smoke signals...  too many can cause lung cancer.
This is my first post - please get me up to speed on the meaning of 'GeekHack keyboard enthusiast'. To show my ignorance I tried "S100" as a reply to the Verification "bus" question.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 21:43:41 »

the wife

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 08:07:02 »
There is more to fear from the wife than from the wifi.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"