Author Topic: When did they change Funyuns  (Read 6061 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
When did they change Funyuns
« on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 22:00:55 »
It used to taste like this hard plastic polymer carcinogenic onion flavored Awesomeness.

The New Funyuns tastes like week old cheetos..

At least it's still onion-ee...

Why does industry keep ruining everything I once loved..

The old funyuns had a smooth shiny surface finish.

The new one has a dull mustard yellow porous surface texture..

//Deep Sadness 

187842-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: When did they change Funyuns
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 23:09:31 »
That happened with the trans fats ban years ago. Many snacks were affected, like the little custard filled snack pies and Chocodiles. A real shame, because if you're eating something like that you'd think one would want to maximize their taste pleasure vs health benefits. Stupid law is stupid, and the negative outcomes of banning trans fats was an oversight to niche high-fat delicious foods.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
When did they change Funyuns
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:30:49 »
That happened with the trans fats ban years ago. Many snacks were affected, like the little custard filled snack pies and Chocodiles. A real shame, because if you're eating something like that you'd think one would want to maximize their taste pleasure vs health benefits. Stupid law is stupid, and the negative outcomes of banning trans fats was an oversight to niche high-fat delicious foods.

Along those same lines, I wish McDonalds would go back to frying their fries in beef tallow. When I’m eating fries at McDonalds, I don’t expect them to be healthy at all! Is vegetable oil really that much better for you when eating something deep fried in oil?! Eating something that has cholesterol does not increase your body’s production of cholesterol. So stupid.

Also, there are no trans fats in lard!!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:35:50 »

Along those same lines, I wish McDonalds would go back to frying their fries in beef tallow. When I’m eating fries at McDonalds, I don’t expect them to be healthy at all! Is vegetable oil really that much better for you when eating something deep fried in oil?! Eating something that has cholesterol does not increase your body’s production of cholesterol. So stupid.

Hahaha..

Well, ok, so, when they tweaked the statistics to say things like, eating cholesterol from eggs or Beef , does not raise blood cholesterol.

What they actually mean is, CERTAIN fattie acids  of the several IN eggs/beef  does not raise cholesterol,  THIS IS TRUE..

However, the composition is such that the OTHER fattie acides in eggs/ beef  DOES significantly raise blood cholesterol.

This is the twist of science the industry used to make those Times articles about BUTTER not raising cholesterol..

So, if they want to say, Beef doesn't raise LDL cholesterol.

They say, Beef fat contains Stearic acid (a type of fat), (WHICH does not raise LDL)

However, Beef fat also contains Palmitic, Myristic, and Lauric acid,  All 3 in greater quantities, and ALL 3 raises cholesterol..

This type of meandering is used identically for all animal fats, AND plant fats, such as coconut..

As for people eating what they want to eat..

That's all fine..  But it has to be eyes open,  and you can't have big- corporation misleading poor people who can't and won't read too far beyond advertisements which is agreeable to them.

That undermines public health...

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:43:41 »

They didn't change that for health reasons but to please vegans and vegetarians who were notably upset to learn there french fries where not a vegan/vegetarians option at McDonalds. Though sure also they would say it was because of the health benefits cause PR boon on two fronts. please the healthy while giving the vegans/vegetarians something to enjoy...

PS I have no issues with Vegans or vegetarians.. and do enjoy there foods thought I am a carnivore

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:50:11 »

They didn't change that for health reasons but to please vegans and vegetarians who were notably upset to learn there french fries where not a vegan/vegetarians option at McDonalds. Though sure also they would say it was because of the health benefits cause PR boon on two fronts. please the healthy while giving the vegans/vegetarians something to enjoy...

PS I have no issues with Vegans or vegetarians.. and do enjoy there foods thought I am a carnivore

See, and this is in part the hippocracy of the food industry. What percentage of vegans do you reckon actually eat McDonalds at least once a month? Probably less than 1% - and to drastically change the production and market for the worse(tasting) to meet the satisfaction of minority is utter bull****!

But now we just get into the issue of the Government thinking the general populus are morons, of which they really aren't entirely wrong.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:56:16 »

See, and this is in part the hippocracy of the food industry. What percentage of vegans do you reckon actually eat McDonalds at least once a month? Probably less than 1% - and to drastically change the production and market for the worse(tasting) to meet the satisfaction of minority is utter bull****!

But now we just get into the issue of the Government thinking the general populus are morons, of which they really aren't entirely wrong.

I'm not sure where you guys are reading they changed it to appease the vegans,  it's less than 0.5% of Americans even today,   So going back to when they changed it, there's simply no way appeasing vegans had anything to do with it.

If anything it's COST,   vegetable oil is cheaper

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 02:03:27 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 02:05:53 »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 02:47:41 »

I'm not sure where you guys are reading they changed it to appease the vegans,  it's less than 0.5% of Americans even today,   So going back to when they changed it, there's simply no way appeasing vegans had anything to do with it.

If anything it's COST,   vegetable oil is cheaper

In a way I do agree with you about it being like .5% of American's. I think the thing your missing is the fact that once something hits the internet even less then .5% can suddenly balloon into millions wanting to boycott a given product. Why cause they feel they need to come to the rescue of the people who have been slighted. The internet is full of what I call white knights that just look for a cause to champion for what ever reason. They don't even care if that cause relates to them are not. As long as there backing something there happy with life. This to me was one of those situations and McDonald seen away to tap into positive PR. While making them self's not only look healthier but like there standing up for the little guy. Honestly I really don't think if it wasn't from that first report about the fries not being vegan, then it never spiraled into the issue it become. Cause American's view french fries as a guilty pleasure so why mess with something that you know is bad for you. Why make it more healthy. Most American's the vast majority would have just overlooked it. McDonald's wouldn't have changed one of its best selling menu items just to sound more healthy. As far as cost goes I mean I would think there have had to be some type of substantial savings. I know were I live they sale used oil from local fast food/restaurants to be used as bio fuel. They make money off the used oil.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 07:59:00 »
Apparently in the US the fries aren't vegan anyway. They've got beef flavouring which is milk derived.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 11:52:44 »
Apparently in the US the fries aren't vegan anyway. They've got beef flavouring which is milk derived.

I think this was a scandal in india where being free from cow products is a big deal.