Author Topic: Anyone remember party lines?  (Read 5389 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Anyone remember party lines?
« on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 21:37:58 »
I was lol'ing over Freddy Freaker and got this nostalgic wave of remembrance for party lines. For anyone too young to remember, a party line was a generally pay-per-minute 900 number you'd call and be put into a conference call with a bunch of other strangers. They were big in the '80s and '90s, even into the early '00s. Essentially the equivalent to the modern day chat room, but you could find local rooms to see if anyone was throwing a party near you or you could get a hook up.

Damn, there were a couple years I ran my parents phone bill up something fierce just hanging out on party lines all night  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Anyone remember party lines?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:06:36 »
I was lol'ing over Freddy Freaker and got this nostalgic wave of remembrance for party lines. For anyone too young to remember, a party line was a generally pay-per-minute 900 number you'd call and be put into a conference call with a bunch of other strangers. They were big in the '80s and '90s, even into the early '00s. Essentially the equivalent to the modern day chat room, but you could find local rooms to see if anyone was throwing a party near you or you could get a hook up.

Damn, there were a couple years I ran my parents phone bill up something fierce just hanging out on party lines all night  :cool:

I only hurd about homesexual hookup phone systems.

I've never hurd of THIS type of party line you speak of.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:01:05 »
I remember those but never got to use them. My dad would have strangled us with the phone cord when those charges came up.

I do remember getting my own phone line in my bedroom with 3-way calling. We used to put the phone on speaker and call two random numbers and just let it go. Most times it was pretty boring but every once in a while we got a good shouting match.

Edit: Sometimes to speed up the occurrence of these shouting matches we would prank one person a bunch until they were steaming pissed, then call the 3rd person in and let that run its course.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:04:20 by FreeCopy »
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 00:40:33 »
i saw this and thought party lines meant cocaine

probably a double entendre
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 00:54:50 »

it could just as easily be meth or heroin.. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 01:26:57 »

people probably used them to find cocaine, I remember some serious weirdos on there for sure

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 01:42:27 »

people probably used them to find cocaine, I remember some serious weirdos on there for sure

but now we have omegle,  different system,  same weirdos..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 02:56:12 »
Pretty sure that is a chat line though they always tried to play it up as being a party.
Party line was where a neighborhood shared a single phone line and your snoopy neighbors also got to listen in.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 05:01:00 »
Lol this just made me remember the time i worked in pizza hut call centre and some kids called up with a really **** prank. I let them go for about a minute before asking them if they lived at the address that had auto filled into the system. They went silent for about a second before hanging up... i loled so hard at the thought of how much they would have been ****ting themselves all night. Stupid kids and their lack of understanding the silent number system or their lack of.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:20:32 »
Lol this just made me remember the time i worked in pizza hut call centre and some kids called up with a really **** prank. I let them go for about a minute before asking them if they lived at the address that had auto filled into the system. They went silent for about a second before hanging up... i loled so hard at the thought of how much they would have been ****ting themselves all night. Stupid kids and their lack of understanding the silent number system or their lack of.

Did you guys getz free pizza ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 14:24:25 »

Did you guys getz free pizza ?

Nah .