Author Topic: Topre From Most Tactile To Least Tactile  (Read 8275 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Topre From Most Tactile To Least Tactile
« on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 22:42:34 »
Hello, as we all know Topre has 3 weights, 30g, 45g, 55g, but somehow ALL of them feel differently on different keyboard.

So I figure this might be helpful if we can compile a list for those that are in the market.  I personally don't own all the Topre boards for the ones that are missing I'll need your help to update the list.

I'll try to update as frequent as I can, also correct me if any info is wrong, here it goes:

MOST TACTILE

BKE Heavy Dome
BKE Light Dome (still need confirmation)
Realforce 55g
FC660C = FC980C (maybe?)
Type Heaven
Novatouch
HHKB
Realforce Hi-Pro
Realforce 45g
Realforce 45g Silent
Realforce Variable
Realforce Variable Silent
Realforce 30g
Realforce 30g Silent

LEAST TACTILE

To update reply which what keyboard also where it would be on the tactility list (tell me between which 2 keyboards).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:27:41 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Topre From Most Tactile To Least Tactile
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 22:51:41 »
you forgot RF 55g, should be high up on the list

also the BKE heavy domes are pretty tactile
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 15:09:03 »
Where does the HHKB stack in this list?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 15:37:09 »
BKE redux heavy domes are, from what I've heard and what I'll soon feel, the most tactile on that list.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 21:21:01 »
With tactility via rubber dome, logic dictates that the heavier weight the dome is, the more tactility.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 21:39:26 »
Where does the HHKB stack in this list?

Yeah I kind of wonder about this too, I'd imagine it's around FC660C's tactility.

But someone who have tried both please chime in.

BKE redux heavy domes are, from what I've heard and what I'll soon feel, the most tactile on that list.

I get the same impression too, maybe I'll put that in in the meantime until someone confirms otherwise.

We still need people who has experience with HHKB, NovaTouch and FC980C to comment on how tactile they are on this scale.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 November 2017, 21:43:58 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 23:24:31 »
Hhkb is right around rf 45g.. noticably less tactile than fc660c since the Leopold is in fact heavier than 45g. All I have to compare is a variable rf but the middle keys should be 45g so I'll do a 1-1 later
keyboards.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 17:40:28 »
Hhkb is right around rf 45g.. noticably less tactile than fc660c since the Leopold is in fact heavier than 45g. All I have to compare is a variable rf but the middle keys should be 45g so I'll do a 1-1 later

Ohhhh, that might explain why when trying FC660C and Type Heaven I feel "just right" and Realforce always feels lightly too light for me.

Would you say HHKB is probably in between Leopold and Realforce?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 17:43:52 »
They all have to be worn exactly evenly..

And the test environment has to be temperature controlled.

And as you type, you have to type identical text, at approximately the equivalent pace.

Offline mpalen19

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:18:32 »
Hello, I own a Novatouch, Leopold FC660C & a Realforce 87U (55g). While stock, the Novatouch felt slightly lighter compared to the Leopold but not by much. However, after modifying both the Novatouch and the Leopold with Hyperspheres rings, they now both feel very different to me. The Leopold feels a bit more tactile whereas the Novatouch lost all of it's tactility after the installation of the Hyperspheres. The Realforce on the other hand remains stock and therefore retains higher tactility compared to both the Leopold & the Novatouch. I originally bought the Realforce with the intent of switching the domes over to the Novatouch given their lack of tactility after the Hypersphere install. Now that BKE Redux 60 gram domes are available I might forgo the swap and use the 55 gram domes for the Leopold instead. Sorry if my post went on a slight tangent. Thought I'd give my impression with the stock versus modified of the 3 Topre boards that I own. 
Leopold FC660C / Norbatouch / Realforce 87U /  KUL ES-87 / Rama M60-A / Fjell

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 23:03:54 »
LOL it's ok I'm glad I'm not the only one. Everyone praise the 3rd party silence rings so much but I always wonder if I am the only one to think there is too much lost in tactility.  I like the solid feel of silencing but now I'm not sure if the lost in tactility is worth it.

And don't worry now I finalky have data on Novatouch I'll put in a rough list for now and if anyone have more data later I can always correct the list.

Thanks!

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 10:47:11 »
I read conflicting reports on HHKB tactility being heavier / lighter than Leopold.

One source find HHKB closer to 45g Realforce the other source find it inbetween 45g and 55g Realforce (Though I guess Leopold kind of fall under this too).

Can anyone who own both confirm this?

Offline macguy80

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 01:40:18 »
Can anyone comment on where the Topre Hi-Pro (104UG) would fit in the ranking?

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 09:21:04 »

And as you type, you have to type identical text, at approximately the equivalent pace.

Exactly.  This is too subjective.

Somebody claimed there is a 25g Topre:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92512.msg2524093#msg2524093
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 November 2017, 09:22:38 by daskeybo »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:30:14 »
Can anyone comment on where the Topre Hi-Pro (104UG) would fit in the ranking?

I tried it a long time ago I think it was quite tactile compare to Realforce for sure, though weight probably lighter than Leopold maybe I'll shove it somewhere in the middle for now.

Exactly.  This is too subjective.

Somebody claimed there is a 25g Topre:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92512.msg2524093#msg2524093

Yeah I'm not trying to be that precise, it's more meant as a buying guide for people who wants to try their first Topre.

:P

If anyone has first hand on any of this feel free to correct me, this is currently based on estimation from people's feedback + I own some of the keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 11:40:29 by Hyde »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 03:56:19 »
Are these BKE Redux 60 gram domes similar or very close to original Topre ones?
I remember those cheap chinese versions from ebay - I hope these are closer to original in terms of quality etc?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 08:52:10 »
All fine, but Topre tactility is just like RGB LEDs - a decoration as it doesn't tell you when the switch activates. Feels good though.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 00:34:50 »
This is VERY helpful for those of us looking at Topre and wondering what to get.  A big thank you!  :thumb:

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:15:10 »
BKE lights in an HHKB are more tactile than 55g in a Realforce in my opinion
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline teraflame

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:23:02 »
LOL it's ok I'm glad I'm not the only one. Everyone praise the 3rd party silence rings so much but I always wonder if I am the only one to think there is too much lost in tactility.

Hyperspheres definitely suck, the kbdfans silence-x were great as they're much thinner. I don't feel a negative difference with them.
Rubber in domes

Offline Hyde

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 17:35:17 »
This is VERY helpful for those of us looking at Topre and wondering what to get.  A big thank you!  :thumb:

lol no problem, I still need more feedback so the list might not be 100% correct but for now you guys can use it as a rough guideline.  :)

BKE lights in an HHKB are more tactile than 55g in a Realforce in my opinion

lol ok I'll add it to the list.  Thanks!

I do really want to try this one day though.

LOL it's ok I'm glad I'm not the only one. Everyone praise the 3rd party silence rings so much but I always wonder if I am the only one to think there is too much lost in tactility.

Hyperspheres definitely suck, the kbdfans silence-x were great as they're much thinner. I don't feel a negative difference with them.

After using both for a while I find they both have their pros and cons.  I wouldn't say they suck but they both have their pros and cons.

I find hypersphere dampen the best so it feels super solid and no wobble at all, drawback is that it kills tactility and has travel reduction.

KBDFans rings sort of dampen decently and doesn't reduce travel much, but it's one of those jack of all trades mater of none situation.  I find it not bad but it didn't dampen as much as I hoped for, so next up I want to try stock silent.  :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 01:18:57 »
My 660c was less tactile than my RF45g but maybe that was 'aged' domes? I dunno. The rest i agree with.
-Dana

Offline Hyde

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:24:23 »
My 660c was less tactile than my RF45g but maybe that was 'aged' domes? I dunno. The rest i agree with.

LOL funny enough I notice the same thing.

My wife's FC660C started out more tactile than my Realforce 45g, but now it's less tactile but my assumption is also probably because she use it heavily at work so maybe more wear and tear.

I also notice some of the domes are more worn out than others, so I do strongly suspect it's wear and tear.

Topre just doesn't have the same durability as Cherry MX I guess.  :(

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:26:37 »
My understanding is that the rubber domes actually get stiffer as they age - or maybe only if they're unused for a long time? anyway, they all started out as 45g I just feel like the plastic hhkb gets a little more 'thock'
-Dana

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 04:55:41 »
My understanding is that the rubber domes actually get stiffer as they age - or maybe only if they're unused for a long time? anyway, they all started out as 45g I just feel like the plastic hhkb gets a little more 'thock'
It depends on the 'rubber' used and how much the keyboard sat vs has been used. Some rubbers will dry up over time, which will make them stiffer, but heavy use will crease the rubber, causing a reduction in weight and tactility.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Hyde

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 13:12:22 »
It depends on the 'rubber' used and how much the keyboard sat vs has been used. Some rubbers will dry up over time, which will make them stiffer, but heavy use will crease the rubber, causing a reduction in weight and tactility.

Yeah I get the same impression too, maybe I should let this keyboard sit for a while to regain tactility.  :P

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 19:59:12 »
I think that would equate to years though.
-Dana

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:34:33 »
Honestly I would say the 55g Realforces are not as tactile as the FC660c. I just got the 87UB55