Author Topic: GH Swolenation  (Read 63211 times)

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: GH Swolenation
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 05:33:58 »
I go to the gym to stare at girls butts

Offline awakened

« Reply #301 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 06:09:18 »
What do you guys think of Crossfit? been contemplating joining a crossfit gym, so I took the crossfit level 1 certification class as an introduction , I learned a lot and suffice to say I completely bombed that exam, super hard. I learned a lot in terms of their dieting plan which seems solid, they cut up everything into blocks and split up how many blocks you can eat in a day etc, It works but you've got to be on point with it. besides that a couple of thinks seemed iffy to me, such as a lot of shoulder work, which I don't like and then Kipping pullups ,.. which I can't do for the life of me! aside from that they have some really intense workouts: I really liked how they transition you into learning all the power lifting moves, sumo dead-lifts  & ease of mind of a workout of the day "WoD" so I could technically stop winging what type of works outs I do in the gym, that being said I was thinking of it more as a complementary type of activity and still going to the gym and lifting etc. Thoughts?

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 06:24:42 »
What do you guys think of Crossfit? been contemplating joining a crossfit gym, so I took the crossfit level 1 certification class as an introduction , I learned a lot and suffice to say I completely bombed that exam, super hard. I learned a lot in terms of their dieting plan which seems solid, they cut up everything into blocks and split up how many blocks you can eat in a day etc, It works but you've got to be on point with it. besides that a couple of thinks seemed iffy to me, such as a lot of shoulder work, which I don't like and then Kipping pullups ,.. which I can't do for the life of me! aside from that they have some really intense workouts: I really liked how they transition you into learning all the power lifting moves, sumo dead-lifts  & ease of mind of a workout of the day "WoD" so I could technically stop winging what type of works outs I do in the gym, that being said I was thinking of it more as a complementary type of activity and still going to the gym and lifting etc. Thoughts?

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 06:25:32 »

It seems to me that it is very much dependent on the gym you go to, as pretty much anyone can get a certification and open a gym. This leads to a lot of 'coaches' not actually knowing about things like bad form and actively encouraging people to do advanced manoeuvres like kipping pullups, without teaching the basics first, leading to injuries down the road.

It seems like a good program if people are given a good progression, but from what I've seen, they just like to slap together a bunch of exercises into a circuit and call it done.

Personally I'd just follow an actual routine instead of 'a bunch of exercises' and progress accordingly. I also think that **** like 'dieting plans' is way overthinking it and you should just eat based on your macros and TDEE requirements, but whatevs.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 06:27:59 »

Crossfit is really great as a program and motivator to get you "in the gym". It goes through a lot of core lifts, works a variety of fitness goals and has a simple, easy to follow program. The community is also encouraging to new people (to the point of zealotry sometimes...) while providing concrete progression for lifts and such. If thats what you want, do it.

The biggest problems with crossfit though is lack of focus and a competitive angle, which breeds a lot of the critisisms of injuries and generally wasting your time. I think those criticisms are fair, and there's a certain point where you really don't want to be rushing lifts or doing ARAP for your progress. This is really going to depend on your box and how they program, which is true for any fitness activity, but in this case its set in place what you're going to do a given day/time.

that being said I was thinking of it more as a complementary type of activity and still going to the gym and lifting etc

If you can afford that, and like having someone provide you with a workout and guidance, go for it. Using it as a supplement is a great way to hit the parts of your body/fitness that crossfit will miss in any given class, and allow you to address muscle imbalances. Again though, it REALLY depends on your box. There are some I would never recommend people to go to, and some that I would recommend even experienced lifters to check out for coaching. Know your limits and your body and lift accordingly.

Offline awakened

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 06:56:59 »

It seems to me that it is very much dependent on the gym you go to, as pretty much anyone can get a certification and open a gym. This leads to a lot of 'coaches' not actually knowing about things like bad form and actively encouraging people to do advanced manoeuvres like kipping pullups, without teaching the basics first, leading to injuries down the road.

It seems like a good program if people are given a good progression, but from what I've seen, they just like to slap together a bunch of exercises into a circuit and call it done.

Personally I'd just follow an actual routine instead of 'a bunch of exercises' and progress accordingly. I also think that **** like 'dieting plans' is way overthinking it and you should just eat based on your macros and TDEE requirements, but whatevs.

Well its not just a bunch of exercises, they spent quite a lot of time teaching how to program your workouts so that everyone could do it & also one of their biggest points was that all their workouts are scaled so that your grandmother could be able to do it. so they actually do teach the basics, but the dieting plan was more of a way of raising awareness on the harmful effects of complex carbs & basically preaching a keto- type of diet, I'm more of a firm believer in winging it when it comes to eating; maintaining a 1 gram of protein to pound ratio atleast, some fats, wholesome carbs, no glucose. thats been working pretty good for me. Until I decided to bulk  :'(

Crossfit is really great as a program and motivator to get you "in the gym". It goes through a lot of core lifts, works a variety of fitness goals and has a simple, easy to follow program. The community is also encouraging to new people (to the point of zealotry sometimes...) while providing concrete progression for lifts and such. If thats what you want, do it.

The biggest problems with crossfit though is lack of focus and a competitive angle, which breeds a lot of the critisisms of injuries and generally wasting your time. I think those criticisms are fair, and there's a certain point where you really don't want to be rushing lifts or doing ARAP for your progress. This is really going to depend on your box and how they program, which is true for any fitness activity, but in this case its set in place what you're going to do a given day/time.

Now thats 100% true. they do so much and they literally have 10 things they want to achieve they preach into being wellrounded in everything, which seems fine and dandy but lets be realistic. we have finite time. The competitive angle is terrible, and the fixed program could mess you up, if you're not feeling 100% but decide to workout because bro-science and herd-mentality.

that being said I was thinking of it more as a complementary type of activity and still going to the gym and lifting etc

If you can afford that, and like having someone provide you with a workout and guidance, go for it. Using it as a supplement is a great way to hit the parts of your body/fitness that crossfit will miss in any given class, and allow you to address muscle imbalances. Again though, it REALLY depends on your box. There are some I would never recommend people to go to, and some that I would recommend even experienced lifters to check out for coaching. Know your limits and your body and lift accordingly.
[/quote]

Well I can afford it, I want to try it out but we don't really have any boxes open here yet! but I'm a firm believer in knowing your limits and not lifting heavy and going fullretard. I'm interested in it as a form of cardiovascular activity( I got bored of stairmasters mayn) and testing my threshold of willpower & perseverance required to finish any AMRAPS/ challenges. I mean 2,000 meters on a row machine in 7 minutes is the type of stuff that's getting me interested, because thats no common feat

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:54:49 »
You're welcome everybody
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 08:24:21 »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 20:22:13 »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 21:46:00 »
This happened today
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEeuxRYEfnL/

I'm impressed. My C&J's always suffered because I couldn't come out of a deep squat clean.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 21:59:43 »
This happened today

I'm impressed. My C&J's always suffered because I couldn't come out of a deep squat clean.

I haven't really tried to C&J and I should. I just like Powerlifting more

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 22:15:11 »
This happened today

It's likely that you would be good at it. I never had the flexibility to become exceptional in the Olympic lifts. My best jerk from a rack was 335 but I could never clean over 295.  You might be better off staying away from them.I think that the power lifts are probably safer; too much can go wrong suddenly and the body is forced into awkward positions.

I haven't followed competitive weight/powerlifting in many years. Have they made powerlifting an olympic sport yet?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:18:35 »
This happened today

It's likely that you would be good at it. I never had the flexibility to become exceptional in the Olympic lifts. My best jerk from a rack was 335 but I could never clean over 295.  You might be better off staying away from them.I think that the power lifts are probably safer; too much can go wrong suddenly and the body is forced into awkward positions.

I haven't followed competitive weight/powerlifting in many years. Have they made powerlifting an olympic sport yet?

Thanks for the insight. I still want to try light C&J if anything to help with shoulder strength.

Powerlifting is not an Olympic sport yet but hopefully in the future. Too many federations and not a solid enough set of rules amongst all the federations. There has been a movement to get it into the Olympics though or at least get it considered.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 03:31:56 »
reviving this thread

starting to see results of bodyweight training around 3 months in (more realistically 2 due to 1 month holiday). need to work on eating more...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 07:53:49 »
Tp4 has been eating more Chicken for the summer,  because don't want to eat rice, because the carbs make me hot...

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:45:59 »
I thought I'd chime in here quickly. So today I did legs. 10x10 squats doing 10 reps no matter what. And seeing how I haven't hit legs in the gym in a while it was tough. but I did 10 every set. Right now I need to work on my eating habits and my plan is to try being a vegetarian for a week starting today and doing intermittent fasting. It feels good getting back to the gym and working out after exams and all the stress that comes with school and work. Still not on break but I have more free time nonetheless.
I also have started doing kickboxing which gives me some cardiovascular training and bodyweight strength.
So here is to getting fit!  :p
TP4 fanboy

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:49:42 »
Hot damn, a thread for me!

Bench today.

235 2x5, 2x3.  I was planning on 4 sets of 3 at a minimum, 5 max so it was pretty solid to hit 5 reps on the first two sets.  Of all things, my left bicep noped out of the extra reps on the 3rd and 4th set.  Need to work on bicep strength as I've not given them much attention in quite some time due to the pain involved in anything bicep related.

On that note, 25 lb curls for 4x12.  My left bicep was definitely done after that.

85 lb dumb bell rows for 2x8, 1x5 (arms were shot and I just couldn't get the reps on the last set).  I think I'm sticking with dumb bell rows and may add in barbell rows at times.  Less painful on the forearms/elbow area.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:47:53 »
Might have some tendinitis flaring up if your elbows are buffing you. Try playing around with grips.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 01:39:47 »
Might have some tendinitis flaring up if your elbows are buffing you. Try playing around with grips.

Yeah, I've been worried about elbow tendinitis and golfer's elbow.  Some foam rolling of the forearms has helped tremendously.  After the initial round, I've just had to roll once or twice a week to keep things better.  Right now it's just trying to carefully build the biceps back up as they're a definite weak point in my bench right now.  I widened my grip slightly which seems to have helped.  I still need to work on my speed on bringing the bar down to my chest in single reps, though.  I'm faster after the first rep but in competition, you get three singles and that's it.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:50:03 »

Yeah, I've been worried about elbow tendinitis and golfer's elbow.  Some foam rolling of the forearms has helped tremendously.  After the initial round, I've just had to roll once or twice a week to keep things better.  Right now it's just trying to carefully build the biceps back up as they're a definite weak point in my bench right now.  I widened my grip slightly which seems to have helped.  I still need to work on my speed on bringing the bar down to my chest in single reps, though.  I'm faster after the first rep but in competition, you get three singles and that's it.

Pause reps, floor presses and just doing lots of singles helps a ton.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 14:29:43 »

Trying to get some more pause work in.  I've been trying to pause more of my warmup sets and maybe a rep or two on my first working set.  I may try to add in a few heavier paused reps on my volume day as well.  Floor presses (standing shoulder press), I do once a week as well.  Weight's decent there but I've still got some work to do.  Trying to get that built up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #321 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 06:42:39 »

Trying to get some more pause work in.  I've been trying to pause more of my warmup sets and maybe a rep or two on my first working set.  I may try to add in a few heavier paused reps on my volume day as well.  Floor presses (standing shoulder press), I do once a week as well.  Weight's decent there but I've still got some work to do.  Trying to get that built up.

I talked with a few of the older guys at the gym.

They basically say, all the little things you do amount to very little difference in the long run.

The majority of the gain is simply attained through Consistency which takes years and years.

Then they went on to how, if you see anyone get big fast,  Steroids, 100% of the time.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #322 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 09:08:05 »
These have helped me it too.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 09:21:14 by iamtootallforthis »

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 09:21:42 »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 01:31:28 »

They basically say, all the little things you do amount to very little difference in the long run.

The majority of the gain is simply attained through Consistency which takes years and years.

Then they went on to how, if you see anyone get big fast,  Steroids, 100% of the time.

Consistency is the key, yes.  That said, there are ways you can help things along quickly at times and under certain circumstances.  That generally involves specialty lifting routines that you run for a certain amount of time, then move back to more general or block routines with the goal of gradual progression.  Such routines exist for the three major powelifting lifts and aren't uncommon to run.  It's just that they're not really designed to run all the time but more for pushing through plateaus or in the quest for some magic number you're trying for (and relatively near).

Of course, I'm not out to get big as a primary goal.  My main focus is on powerlifting so I'm after bigger numbers on the squat, bench, and deadlift specifically.  That said I do like to add in some bodybuilding accessories to my powerlifting main lifting.

Well ****, I was thinking overhead press with floor press for some odd reason.  Yeah, I've not really done those given we only have a single power rack and I'd always feel a bit guilty doing that there.  I might consider it at times, though.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 22:22:33 »

Consistency is the key, yes.  That said, there are ways you can help things along quickly at times and under certain circumstances.  That generally involves specialty lifting routines that you run for a certain amount of time, then move back to more general or block routines with the goal of gradual progression.  Such routines exist for the three major powelifting lifts and aren't uncommon to run.  It's just that they're not really designed to run all the time but more for pushing through plateaus or in the quest for some magic number you're trying for (and relatively near).

Of course, I'm not out to get big as a primary goal.  My main focus is on powerlifting so I'm after bigger numbers on the squat, bench, and deadlift specifically.  That said I do like to add in some bodybuilding accessories to my powerlifting main lifting.

Well ****, I was thinking overhead press with floor press for some odd reason.  Yeah, I've not really done those given we only have a single power rack and I'd always feel a bit guilty doing that there.  I might consider it at times, though.

Definitely great to push through plateaus.

Offline muon

« Reply #327 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 01:06:28 »
Anyone have any tips maintaining muscle on an extended trip? I'm travelling for over a month for business and would like to maintain my physique but it doesn't look like it's gonna be easy :(

Packing a jar of protein powder and I'm planning to keep hitting 160g protein every day but without consistent access to a gym I'm worried I'm gonna lose all my gainz...

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 01:17:54 »
Anyone have any tips maintaining muscle on an extended trip? I'm travelling for over a month for business and would like to maintain my physique but it doesn't look like it's gonna be easy :(

Packing a jar of protein powder and I'm planning to keep hitting 160g protein every day but without consistent access to a gym I'm worried I'm gonna lose all my gainz...

depending on how much time you have, you can fit 20min-1hr of bodyweight training most days which should keep you decently fit

Offline muon

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 01:19:37 »
Yeah, any suggestions? Assume that I'll be pretty much limited to whatever you might find in a hotel room :P

Hoping that maybe I can hit up a park but I always feel weird doing pullups and **** on a kid's playground lol, even if it's empty

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 01:25:27 »
Yeah, any suggestions? Assume that I'll be pretty much limited to whatever you might find in a hotel room :P

Hoping that maybe I can hit up a park but I always feel weird doing pullups and **** on a kid's playground lol, even if it's empty

I manage to get a decent workout in my bedroom through a bunch of planks, hollow holds, floor l-sit practice, handstand practice, pushups, pistol squats, leg raises and whatnot. if your form is good you can really get the blood pumping

Offline muon

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:04:49 »
I feel like that might not be enough load on me - would be a decent aerobic workout though. Guess I'm gonna have to get creative here  :-X

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:07:27 »
I feel like that might not be enough load on me - would be a decent aerobic workout though. Guess I'm gonna have to get creative here  :-X

it depends on the progression you are at. for me, regular pushups are hard enough. however, if you're stronger then you could try diamond pushup, uneven pushup etc. much like how you can add weight to make workouts harder, you can change the way you perform workouts to make it harder for yourself

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #333 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:16:57 »
Did you check if your hotel have gym access?

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:25:42 »
since i've been in a bed for almost a month now and i have a leg that doesnt work well at all i've been lifting all my weight only with my arms and i've been gaining some much needed arm muscle, i'm stronger in the arms than when i didnt have cancer LMAO

EDIT: also i have been using my abs a lot more so i have a way more toned core. once i get standing and walking again all i need to do is get some fat on me and i need to do legs once i can then i'll be ****in fit again for the first time in 2 years
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2016, 02:28:38 by ANightOnCloudNine »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 17:33:26 »
So today was good... until it sucked.  Finished my back squats of 390 lbs 3x5 without problem.  Did a 405 single, then moved on to front squats.  On the last rep of my 225 warmup set.... muscle pulled.  I could feel it.  It still hurts.  Ugh.  I managed 245 for 3 reps but ran out of time and didn't push it further.  Still, tomorrow will likely suck.  Stupid me, I tightened up my gut rather than filling out the belt on that last rep like an idiot.

Looks like I'll be icing that when I get home.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 16:51:56 »
Good news is that today's benching went well and with no problems.  That pull yesterday sucked but looks like it was pretty minor as I was feeling solid today and was above my goals for the day even with a 2am bed time and 4:30 wakeup call (thanks, work!)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 18:16:00 »
Haha!  No back problems today with squats/deadlifts.  Very happy to be avoiding problems with that.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 04:58:35 »
tfw feeling happy with progress and you go and see people working out for the same amount of time with 2x the gains  :(

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #339 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:52:02 »
tfw feeling happy with progress and you go and see people working out for the same amount of time with 2x the gains  :(

Heh.  Yeah there's one guy at the gym that makes everyone else feel small and weak.  No worries.  We just need to keep doing our thing and progressing.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:50:20 »

Heh.  Yeah there's one guy at the gym that makes everyone else feel small and weak.  No worries.  We just need to keep doing our thing and progressing.

Yeah everyone is different just keep pushing to better yourself. Don't worry about others.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:51:20 »
My gains don't gain as much the older I get.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:53:17 »

Yeah that is what sucks about getting older.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 17:40:53 »

Yeah, that's the crappy part about getting older.  Still making strength gains for now, at least.  The bummer is that I apparently missed the window for the mass of late spring / early summer powerlifting meets.  Looks like the next decent one is October. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 00:29:21 »
Well damn.  Deadlifts did not like me at all today.  Really, my lower back didn't like me at all today.

Did squats for 400 lbs 3x3, 425 x1.  Deadlifts were supposed to be 430 lbs 2x5.  I managed one set of 5 and at that, the 4th and 5th reps took a bit before bringing them up.  Ended up just doing a single for 455 after that as I couldn't at least make it a double.  Ugh.

I think I'm probably going to have to trim squat volume down a bit on my deadlifting days, at least once the weight gets heavier.  Last week wasn't so bad.  395 3x5 then 415 x1 for squats, 415 3x5 for deadlifts.  Next week's just 1x5 at 445.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 01:07:26 »
Apparently lost about 15lbs since the last time I weighed myself 3 months ago. Didn't even do anything, in fact I've been more sedentary the last few months.

Pretty sure it's from having a ridged meal schedule due to my job and not getting the chance to get hungry an hour later or travel to the kitchen for snacks all day. Been drinking a boatload of soda recently though, so I dunno man.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 05:38:32 »
hit the 3 second mark for my tuck l-sit, crazy to think that just 2 weeks ago i couldnt even get my feet off the ground

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 05:44:41 »
I go to the gym to stare at girls butts

Bevo is swolelord
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 15:58:46 »
What are The expert's thoughts on pork dumplings..  it's been the traditional asian, -getting bulk- food..

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #349 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 21:54:46 »
What are The expert's thoughts on pork dumplings..  it's been the traditional asian, -getting bulk- food..

Gotta worry about salt and fat intake with them.