Author Topic: GH Swolenation  (Read 63203 times)

Offline Niomosy

Re: GH Swolenation
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 13:03:26 »
The week after next should be fun.  I hit an interesting milestone.  My working sets for squats will be 405 lbs.  Cleared 400 for 3x5 yesterday and will be bumping up to 405.  Probably for 3 reps and working up from there.  Next week I'm on vacation part of the week so I'm just going to take it as a rest / deload week for a bit of a break.

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 June 2016, 13:05:22 by Niomosy »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 18:06:55 »
What are The expert's thoughts on pork dumplings..  it's been the traditional asian, -getting bulk- food..

Gotta worry about salt and fat intake with them.

Hrrrmm..  but if lean pork, and low sodium, then it's fine right ? just like chicken?

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 18:49:38 »
What are The expert's thoughts on pork dumplings..  it's been the traditional asian, -getting bulk- food..

yeah they taste pretty good

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 22:42:08 »

Gotta worry about salt and fat intake with them.

Hrrrmm..  but if lean pork, and low sodium, then it's fine right ? just like chicken?

Yeah that'd be good but try to stick to steaming them if you eat them often.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:19:46 »
So I'm digging hook grip more and more for deadlifts.  Today was deadlift day.  Did some squats first working up to a heavy single set of 415 x4 then moved to deadlifts.  Most of my warmup sets are regular over/over grip and normally I'll switch to hook grip for the last warmup set.  Working sets I go mixed grip.

Today, after completing  445 x5 on deadlifts mixed grip, I decided to try a single 445 hook grip.  Hit it without any problems.  I figured what the hell and bumped up, hitting 475 hook grip as well.  Failed 495 but that was more body fatigue setting in than grip failure. 

Might keep working hook grip in.  Though... RIP my poor thumbs.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:31:08 »
So I'm digging hook grip more and more for deadlifts.  Today was deadlift day.  Did some squats first working up to a heavy single set of 415 x4 then moved to deadlifts.  Most of my warmup sets are regular over/over grip and normally I'll switch to hook grip for the last warmup set.  Working sets I go mixed grip.

Today, after completing  445 x5 on deadlifts mixed grip, I decided to try a single 445 hook grip.  Hit it without any problems.  I figured what the hell and bumped up, hitting 475 hook grip as well.  Failed 495 but that was more body fatigue setting in than grip failure. 

Hook grip is killer on the thumbs but worth it.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:44:14 »

Yeah, it's been hours since I finished my deads and my thumbs can still feel it a bit.  Not quite as bad as when I go bouldering but bouldering doesn't smash the hell out of my thumbs either.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:48:08 »

Yeah, it's been hours since I finished my deads and my thumbs can still feel it a bit.  Not quite as bad as when I go bouldering but bouldering doesn't smash the hell out of my thumbs either.

I understand that feeling. When I pulled 545 hook grip my thumbs killed until the next morning. I need to get back into hook grip

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:20:20 »

I understand that feeling. When I pulled 545 hook grip my thumbs killed until the next morning. I need to get back into hook grip

Honestly, I think if I'd focused on just pulling for singles rather than the heavy squat and dead sets, I probably could have hit my mixed-grip PR of 505 today. 

And... apparently I've just now signed up for a USPA meet so I'll be lifting on the 30th officially.  Should be fun.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:23:48 »

Honestly, I think if I'd focused on just pulling for singles rather than the heavy squat and dead sets, I probably could have hit my mixed-grip PR of 505 today. 

And... apparently I've just now signed up for a USPA meet so I'll be lifting on the 30th officially.  Should be fun.

Good luck in the meet!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:27:53 »

Good luck in the meet!

Thanks!  A handful of us from the LA Fitness I normally use are signing up for it.  The interesting thing is, I still have a shot at the California 40-44 198 lb squat record.  It's been pretty low for a while and is sitting at around 450 last I checked a week or two ago.  I'm guessing it won't last long because it really should be somewhere in the 500 range like the 181 40-44 class.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:30:46 »

Good luck in the meet!

Thanks!  A handful of us from the LA Fitness I normally use are signing up for it.  The interesting thing is, I still have a shot at the California 40-44 198 lb squat record.  It's been pretty low for a while and is sitting at around 450 last I checked a week or two ago.  I'm guessing it won't last long because it really should be somewhere in the 500 range like the 181 40-44 class.

That is low. USPA is tested right?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:41:20 »

Good luck in the meet!

That is low. USPA is tested right?

They're tested and untested.  The tested stuff just started this year, though the records posted seem to be for untested as I see some 2014 and 2015 records in there.

And yes, it really is low.  I was looking at it for giggles to see what I needed to do and had to do a double take on the squat.  The bench is in the 400 range, deadlift is 570 but that squat caught me off guard.

So now I'm hoping to get the squat 198 record before trying to drop to 181 where a Masters 1 total is signifcantly lower.  Might be fun to qualify for nationals next year at 181.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 12:15:41 »
Alright.  Knee sleeves and singlet ordered.  I should be set gear-wise for my upcoming meet.

Now if only that week off last week would stop making my lifts this week feel that much heavier >.<

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 12:21:48 »
JUST JOINED SWOLE NATION

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 13:38:11 »
Dammit.  F5 on usps.com.  I want to try out my sleeves.  I'll probably have to wait until Monday to test them out.  I'm guessing they'll be here Thursday or Friday.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #366 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 23:39:02 »
My singlet and knee sleeves have arrived.  Damn.  That singlet is... well, it's only reasonably comfortable commando.

The SBD knee sleeves.  I tried some medium Stong Sleeves and they weren't too bad to get in.  The SBD large were more of a pain.  The Strongs were broken in, though, but it was still surprising.  I don't think I could do mediums without some lotion on the legs first.  Maybe shave them for good measure.

Good news for lifting, at least.  Squats 440x2 and bench 250x2 were solid.  My deadlift... well... managed 470 after all the squatting which wasn't too bad but cut my damn thumb inside the nail.  I couldn't quite manage hook grip. 

Next week I'll test out maxes and see where things sit.  I'm hoping a lot of rest, foam rolling, and stretching will help out.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 10:51:56 »
My singlet and knee sleeves have arrived.  Damn.  That singlet is... well, it's only reasonably comfortable commando.

The SBD knee sleeves.  I tried some medium Stong Sleeves and they weren't too bad to get in.  The SBD large were more of a pain.  The Strongs were broken in, though, but it was still surprising.  I don't think I could do mediums without some lotion on the legs first.  Maybe shave them for good measure.

Good news for lifting, at least.  Squats 440x2 and bench 250x2 were solid.  My deadlift... well... managed 470 after all the squatting which wasn't too bad but cut my damn thumb inside the nail.  I couldn't quite manage hook grip. 

Next week I'll test out maxes and see where things sit.  I'm hoping a lot of rest, foam rolling, and stretching will help out.

SBD are known to be a pain to get on and I wouldn't tempt the singlet commando.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 01:15:10 »

SBD are known to be a pain to get on and I wouldn't tempt the singlet commando.

I recall the videos of people trying to get SBDs on.  Particularly entertaining was before the ban on assisted knee sleeves, where some of the huge guys were trying to squeeze into L when they should have been in 2XL.

Going to have to figure out the singlet, though.  It's going to suck ass to have to wear that thing all day with briefs.  I'm also thinking Titan's sizing is odd and I should have gone 2XL even at 196 lbs. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 18:33:51 »
Meet prep week has been going decently well thus far.

Squats: 435, 455, 470 (PR). 

Bench: 245, 265 (tied PR), 225 2s pause, 275 (failed).

Squats felt fantastic with the new SBDs.  Might have had 475 in me.  I figured a 5 lb PR was good enough and just went for that. 

For bench, I honestly might have hit 270 but was more concerned about nailing the pause at the chest and keeping descent speed reasonable rather than a snails pace. 

Still have to do deadlifts on Friday but all in all, not too bad thus far.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:43:46 »

Squats felt fantastic with the new SBDs.  Might have had 475 in me.  I figured a 5 lb PR was good enough and just went for that. 

For bench, I honestly might have hit 270 but was more concerned about nailing the pause at the chest and keeping descent speed reasonable rather than a snails pace. 

Solid lifts man! Remember to stay in control of the bar path and focus on keeping the upward motion going when you press.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:56:19 »

Solid lifts man! Remember to stay in control of the bar path and focus on keeping the upward motion going when you press.

Thanks.  Bench is definitely an odd one for me.  I still need to improve my bar path.  I know it's been off a few times when I've hit the hooks on the way up on my high volume days.  Everything is a work in progress but that's definitely a known issue.  Another round of Smolov Jr. is tempting.

Funny thing is, I just checked the meet list and there's another guy in my age/weight combo that's also a CrossFit instructor.  I may well be screwed but oh well ;)  The first meet is supposed to be fun, they say.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 17:50:13 »
Deadlifts max day.  Managed 435, 465, 480, 495.  I'm thinking about switching 435 down to 425.  A 40lb bump wouldn't initially be all that bad.  Did some warmup squats prior, only up to 315 x1 and mostly to practice unracking / setup as you seem to only get 5 seconds from unrack to get set up and ready to squat.  I didn't want to get into trouble on squats because of that.

Now to just keep from gaining weight >.<

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #373 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:53:39 »
Weigh-in and gear check is done.  Got my rack heights situated as well.  Goal was 90kg and was... 86.4 or so.  Also had to put in openers.  Glad to have that done.  Interesting thing is, we've got a few travelers for a 65-person local meet.  In Los Angeles and we've got some from NM and one from IN.

The bummer is... it's in a Crossfit gym that was converted from an auto repair shop.  No AC, just some large fans and they open the garage bays.  It's supposed to be in the mid-90s F tomorrow.   We're also wondering where they're going to put the spectators and warmup area.  It's not the biggest gym.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 00:21:26 »
Meet results: 9/9 on lifts.  Got the 90kg 40-44yo state squat record to boot.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #375 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 06:28:22 »

Congratulations on the record. Hitting 9 out of 9 must be both satisfying and vexing. Could I have done another 10 lbs?

Offline neverused

« Reply #376 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 12:50:14 »
Awesome! What are your numbers?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 13:18:52 »

Congrats man!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 00:40:49 »
Thanks!  So final numbers in freedom units / kg are....

Squat: 462.971 / 210
Bench: 259 / 117.5.  I think that's it.  I've honestly forgot.  Bonus: wife took the kids to get lunch so no video and USPA is slow as all getout on putting local meet info up.
Deadlift: 496.04 / 225

As for leaving weight on the bar, I absolutely did.  I have no doubt of that.  For the squat, it was both to secure the state record as well as have something left for deadlifts - skipped an allowed 4th attempt on squats to break the record I'd just set.  I was ~8 lbs off my PR of 2 weeks ago.  For bench, I just played it safe as the opener felt a bit heavier than I was expecting.  I rebounded and bumped the 3rd up more but still lower than where I should have been.  For deadlifts, honestly I wasn't fully sure I would hit the 3rd.  Then had the guys in my flight telling me I had more in me.  It was tough but I may have possibly hit 505.1 / 227.5. 

It probably didn't help that it was in the low-mid 90s F and we were in a gym without AC.  I'm also going to have to pay a bit more attention to depth.  With better depth, I'd probably have a bit more for squats and deads.  Bench I just need to flat out work on.  I'm really eyeing another round of Smolov Jr. there.

3rd squat:

3rd deadlift:

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 03:07:59 »
hhahahaha .They are funny.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 17:00:37 »
Ugh.  Volume after peaking sucks.  Did squats yesterday and my legs are already sore.  Tomorrow's really going to suck.  Benched today so we'll see how that feels.  At least tomorrow is cardio.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 17:22:16 »
JUST JOINED SWOLE NATION

since i posted this, ive been going to the gym 4 times a week (vs none for yearssss). i wanna push to 5 and get more cardio in.

must wake up earlier!!

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 01:14:37 »
Apparently I'm an idiot who climbs up 5 metres of rope without a harness

rip skin

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 17:29:32 »
Good news: I completed volume squats today which didn't happen on Monday.  Yay me!

Bad news: Had just about nothing left for deadlifts.  I scrounged what I could and called it a day. 

I think I may run through another week before heading back to powerlifting type volume/intensity.

Also trying to drop from 198 lbs to 181 lbs but friends keep talking about running a 10/1 meet.  If I end up running it I'll almost certainly have to water cut and maybe do a mini-bulk a little ways out just to have a bit of strength for it.  Fortunately weigh-ins are 24 hours in advance but I don't want to have to water cut a lot if I can avoid it.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 07:08:56 »
continuing to make decent progress; can perform around 5-6 psuedo-planche pushups compared with my measly 5 regular ones 7 months ago
starting to focus more on my core, originally just performed planks and let my pushups grow strength but really want to accomplish a full l-sit on parallel bars so i've been doing leg raises and V-ups to help with that

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 13:43:45 »
Gains on a cut continuing for my squats, at least.  Hit 440 lbs for 3 reps yesterday.  Tank was rather empty for deadlifting after that, though.  Last week I managed 445 x2, 455 x3, 405 x9.  This week?  455 x3, 465 x1, 405 x2.  Bound to happen while cutting so I'll take the squats as a win and move on.

Bench sucks.  Started up Disbrow's Deathbench on Tuesday and I'll continue that today... trying to figure out how to work all that damn 2nd day accessory work in.  Dammit, Matt.  Bench 5x5, close grip, db flat, and incline?  Killing me!  Though I probably need it.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #386 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 06:11:23 »
doing sport on more days now; hockey on friday, rock climbing on wednesday and some weekends. wonder how this will affect my progress as im too worn out to work out on those days now. also looking to go on a diet to start gaining weight, it's been stagnant for half a year

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 10:53:42 »
Gains on a cut continuing for my squats, at least.  Hit 440 lbs for 3 reps yesterday.  Tank was rather empty for deadlifting after that, though.  Last week I managed 445 x2, 455 x3, 405 x9.  This week?  455 x3, 465 x1, 405 x2.  Bound to happen while cutting so I'll take the squats as a win and move on.

Bench sucks.  Started up Disbrow's Deathbench on Tuesday and I'll continue that today... trying to figure out how to work all that damn 2nd day accessory work in.  Dammit, Matt.  Bench 5x5, close grip, db flat, and incline?  Killing me!  Though I probably need it.

Disbrow is a bench animal.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #388 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 04:41:02 »
this large gym franchise has a program, free entry for students during school holidays. gonna start tomorrow with some friends, with stronglifts 5x5

Offline Kavik

« Reply #389 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 12:25:10 »
Does anyone here still lift?

I started Stronglifts 5x5 about a year and a half ago and then switched to Starting Strength 3x5. I have never done very well with linear progression; it usually took me two or three attempts to up the weight on some lifts.

I had a 5 week layoff for an injury, so I'm working my way back up to these numbers, but these are the weights I left off at:
Squat: 292 lb x 3 x 5
Bench: 210 lb x 3 x 5
Press: 135 lb x 3 x 5
Deadlift: 350 lb x 4

Not impressive for over a year of lifting, partly because I refused to eat enough for the first six months or so. Bodyweight has gone from 150 lb to 217 lb. I want to lose some of the fat, but I don't want to lose strength.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 12:32:43 »
I walked up the stairs today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 12:33:33 »
I know iamtootallforthis used to lift, but I don't think he has in a while. If you look at pictures of him now you'll notice his muscles have really atrophied.  :(

I wrestled in high school (14 years ago) and since have kept a pretty consistent routine of lifting in some form. Unfortunately, it never really comprised of serious working out, so my body got fatter and my muscles (which atrophy quite easily) got smaller.
But now I work out around 4 times a week at about half an hour a session, and with my comparatively minimal schedule I still am in the best shape I've ever been. I thank prioritizing compound exercises and Strength Training Anatomy.

Food is also a pretty significant factor in keeping the fat off. I still eat the same amount, but try to eat "cleaner," and set aside desserts and alcohol to the weekends only.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 12:45:18 »
I know iamtootallforthis used to lift, but I don't think he has in a while. If you look at pictures of him now you'll notice his muscles have really atrophied.  :(

I wrestled in high school (14 years ago) and since have kept a pretty consistent routine of lifting in some form. Unfortunately, it never really comprised of serious working out, so my body got fatter and my muscles (which atrophy quite easily) got smaller.
But now I work out around 4 times a week at about half an hour a session, and with my comparatively minimal schedule I still am in the best shape I've ever been. I thank prioritizing compound exercises and Strength Training Anatomy.

Food is also a pretty significant factor in keeping the fat off. I still eat the same amount, but try to eat "cleaner," and set aside desserts and alcohol to the weekends only.

:rolleyes:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:08:10 »
Hnnng.. wurking out makes most peeps look worse.

Major problem is the man-bewbs which look even bigger w/ workout.

Second issue is that the Gut doesn't get any smaller for most casuals, so the overall effect is m0ar phat.

Professional bodybuilders get around man-bewb issue by having breast fat removed, (it's a 1 time surgery), so at least that's good.

-Once- the fat cells are removed, they do not grow back, so no matter how much Roids they go on, the man-bewbs will not come back.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #394 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:19:39 »
Hnnng.. wurking out makes most peeps look worse.

Major problem is the man-bewbs which look even bigger w/ workout.

Second issue is that the Gut doesn't get any smaller for most casuals, so the overall effect is m0ar phat.

Professional bodybuilders get around man-bewb issue by having breast fat removed, (it's a 1 time surgery), so at least that's good.

-Once- the fat cells are removed, they do not grow back, so no matter how much Roids they go on, the man-bewbs will not come back.

:blank:

Some get breast tissue removed yes. But topically it is very minor.

Pubertal gyno is rare and it isn't all too common. Please don't spew bull****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:27:15 »

This is not true.. It is EXTREMELY common.

In fact most men have it to some degree due to hormone laden foods such as milk and cheese, murica's favorite.

It affects 48% of teenagers.. 60% of teenage males.

Nearly 100% of male adults who are big on dat Pr0te1n.

Again, not against anyone going down Vanity-Muscle,  just be ready with $5000 for that last bit of surgery..

The increased prevalence has made it quite big business.. bewbjob for dudes.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:29:06 »

This is not true.. It is EXTREMELY common.

In fact most men have it to some degree due to hormone laden foods such as milk and cheese, murica's favorite.

It affects 48% of teenagers.. 60% of teenage males.

Nearly 100% of male adults who are big on dat Pr0te1n.

Again, not against anyone going down Vanity-Muscle,  just be ready with $5000 for that last bit of surgery..

Where do you get these statistics honestly?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #398 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:35:12 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #399 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:40:29 »

Where do you get these statistics honestly?

Gynecomastia.com ??

Find better sources.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3706045/#!po=10.2941

You're wrong,

This source is much more reliable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7840497

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770912/

"The prevalence of asymptomatic gynecomastia is 60% to 90% in neonates, 50% to 60% in adolescents, and up to 70% in men aged 50 to 69 years."