Author Topic: is windows 10 kinda spyware?  (Read 8547 times)

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
is windows 10 kinda spyware?
« on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:18:11 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
Re: is windows 10 kinda spyware?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:21:13 »
After the XBOne fiasco, is this really a surprise?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:46:44 »
Sounds about right.

You didn't think you were really getting something for free, did you?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SL89

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:47:49 »

This is a case of Free as in Beer, not Free as in Freedom. Right?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 18:48:35 »

Yes, but only if you meet the requirements.

free as in beer, for an exclusive club of members.

Everyone else has to pay.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SL89

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 19:02:08 »

Yes, but only if you meet the requirements.

free as in beer, for an exclusive club of members.

Everyone else has to pay.

Aha, thats right. I forgot about the 2nd part.

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 19:06:09 »
The truth is most people don't care. Of those that do, they're the same people that untick the McAfee box with a Flash install.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 19:50:14 »
The truth is most people don't care. Of those that do, they're the same people that untick the McAfee box with a Flash install.

I always untick that.

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 20:12:40 »

I always untick that.

You and me both, when I do the Win 10 upgrade I won't be "Express" installing anything, we are the minority though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 23:21:31 »

I always untick that.

You and me both, when I do the Win 10 upgrade I won't be "Express" installing anything, we are the minority though.

Custom install EVERYTHING!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 03:01:08 »
At this point I don't even care.
I use Google Mail, so Google read my mail anyway and i don't care about that... privacy is something that no longer exists on the internet, so why pretend like it's an issue?

Offline animal

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 04:03:09 »

And even fewer install flash at all :)
And yeah, Windows 10 is the US number one snitch. It is a good time to think about alternate OSes.
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 08:55:34 »
I use Google Mail, so Google read my mail anyway and i don't care about that... privacy is something that no longer exists on the internet, so why pretend like it's an issue?

Because it's an issue. If you don't make a stand on this and just let the big corporations steamroll your rights on this issue, it's just going to be easier for them to do the same for the next issue, and so on and so forth. Thin end of the wedge, etc. Resistance is NOT futile. YOU WILL NOT ASSIMILATE ME...

I also use Google Mail, but not for anything I care about others reading. For that I use a proper email account. I don't and never will use FaceBook. If you're looking for the epitome of evil internet data abuse for personal and corporate profit, they come pretty close. MS is right behind them, or ahead of them, really, since they've been screwing their users for profits longer.

Customised (with RT se7en Lite) Win7 x64 install FTW.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 08:59:41 »

Because it's an issue. If you don't make a stand on this and just let the big corporations steamroll your rights on this issue, it's just going to be easier for them to do the same for the next issue, and so on and so forth. Thin end of the wedge, etc. Resistance is NOT futile. YOU WILL NOT ASSIMILATE ME...

I also use Google Mail, but not for anything I care about others reading. For that I use a proper email account. I don't and never will use FaceBook. If you're looking for the epitome of evil internet data abuse for personal and corporate profit, they come pretty close. MS is right behind them, or ahead of them, really, since they've been screwing their users for profits longer.

But it's too late, mine and your government watches and records everything you do already. Least with big companies the markets keep the people working there mostly 'competent' (when compared to the public sector).

And with this I get a brand new OS and more relevant adverting...
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2015, 09:03:54 by baldgye »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 09:30:51 »
we were always at war with the other software devs
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 10:53:46 »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 11:06:22 »
I'm not that interesting.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 14:58:58 »
Google pays me $50 a month to have spyware installed directly to my router so they can monitor my internet traffic for research purposes.. at least I get paid for what they are doing to everyone anyway >_0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 18:35:27 »
windows 10 is malware in itself
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/

+1

I'd prefer not to infect my PCs with Windows, but at work I have no choice.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 18:42:40 »
windows 10 is malware in itself
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/

+1

I'd prefer not to infect my PCs with Windows, but at work I have no choice.
In today, we're used to this. So we all bend down for microsoft.
It runs nicely at least...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 19:33:01 »
TBH..  The NSA  and Google and APPLE and Facebook,  probably knows everything there is to know about you ALREADY...

So...   the concept of Privacy is merely a facade..   It's been long gone..

What difference will it make that Microsoft can now sell you the precise pr0n that you like.

THEY seee Everything.. !!

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 22:55:57 »

I don't know what I clicked. No clue how I how grayed it out... Oh well.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:06:44 »

But it's too late, mine and your government watches and records everything you do already. Least with big companies the markets keep the people working there mostly 'competent' (when compared to the public sector).

No, they don't. At least not yet here in Scandinavia. We actually have laws that protect our rights and the government supports them. And I suspect that your government isn't able to listen to casual conversations you have with friends or family near your PC or get keylogs of EVERY SINGLE KEY YOU PRESS including passwords and credit card numbers, etc, but now with your great new free OS, they can! Isn't that lovely.

I don't want a brand new OS, why mess with what's working very well for me.

Targeted advertising can go take a flying leap. I put a lot of effort into reducing the amount of advertising that's forced down my throat, targeted or not. So... what advertising? I don't want companies luring me into buying **** I don't need.

TBH..  The NSA  and Google and APPLE and Facebook,  probably knows everything there is to know about you ALREADY...

So...   the concept of Privacy is merely a facade..   It's been long gone..

What difference will it make that Microsoft can now sell you the precise pr0n that you like.

THEY seee Everything.. !!

But... I don't allow any of my data to be stored on servers in US or UK (so US gov doesn't have access), I don't use Apple products or Facebook and the only data I put in any Google products is stuff I don't care about. So yes, I do still have some semblance of online privacy. If you do online searches of my full name all you get are a link to one of my patents and my LinkedIn profile (which also has VERY limited info).

I know most people have given up long ago, but this doesn't make it okay for an operating system manufacturer to violate your privacy so completely and forcefully without any proper notification. That's just plain evil however you look at it.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 03:08:50 »

No, they don't. At least not yet here in Scandinavia. We actually have laws that protect our rights and the government supports them.

toplel

though its sweet you believe in your politicians

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:15:19 »

No, they don't. At least not yet here in Scandinavia. We actually have laws that protect our rights and the government supports them.

toplel

https://www.huntonprivacyblog.com/2015/01/29/finland-introduces-new-electronic-privacy-requirements-online-communications-services-providers/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/finland-gets-tough-on-privacy-with-new-law-to-give-apple-facebook-messages-total-security/

Since Finland has always been big in Telecoms, we've had Telecommunications privacy laws in place for ages, they're now extended to Internet Service Providers and online communications.

I'm very glad I live in a country where trust in the government is the majority view, rather than the minority, backed up by a long history of that trust being upheld. A very rare thing nowadays and all the more valuable for that reason. It's something that struck me soon after I arrived here, that the government trusts the people to not be idiots and the people try to live up to that. An example is the lack of "warning label proliferation" like you find in US, with companies forced to protect themselves against liability when people do stupid stuff and hurt themselves. Here, the lawyers won't prosecute a case where the user has been an idiot. And the people know when they've been stupid and don't try to litigate.

That's not to say that the government is perfect, there's no such thing. Politics is a field where often the least qualified people are the ones trying to get the job. But I do think Finland's leaders do as good a job as any possibly could nowadays and definitely have their people's best interest at heart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:18:09 »

toplel

https://www.huntonprivacyblog.com/2015/01/29/finland-introduces-new-electronic-privacy-requirements-online-communications-services-providers/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/finland-gets-tough-on-privacy-with-new-law-to-give-apple-facebook-messages-total-security/

Since Finland has always been big in Telecoms, we've had Telecommunications privacy laws in place for ages, they're now extended to Internet Service Providers and online communications.

I'm very glad I live in a country where trust in the government is the majority view, rather than the minority, backed up by a long history of that trust being upheld. A very rare thing nowadays and all the more valuable for that reason. It's something that struck me soon after I arrived here, that the government trusts the people to not be idiots and the people try to live up to that. An example is the lack of "warning label proliferation" like you find in US, with companies forced to protect themselves against liability when people do stupid stuff and hurt themselves. Here, the lawyers won't prosecute a case where the user has been an idiot. And the people know when they've been stupid and don't try to litigate.

That's not to say that the government is perfect, there's no such thing. Politics is a field where often the least qualified people are the ones trying to get the job. But I do think Finland's leaders do as good a job as any possibly could nowadays and definitely have their people's best interest at heart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Well if you have laws I'm sure they wouldn't break them, no politicians break laws.
:)

To trust and believe politicians is to be willfully ignorant of what there job is.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:21:54 »
Urm... did you notice the corruption index.

Politicians that break laws lose trust. And Finland has policies for openness and transparency that make it damn hard for a politician to break a law without it being noticed.

It's sad you have a government that engenders such a cynical attitude. I'm cynical about a lot of stuff, but at least that's one area I don't have to be.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:31:14 »

Politicians that break laws lose trust. And Finland has policies for openness and transparency that make it damn hard for a politician to break a law without it being noticed.

It's sad you have a government that engenders such a cynical attitude. I'm cynical about a lot of stuff, but at least that's one area I don't have to be.

Sorry, what?
Did you look at the link you sent? Italy is one of the most corrupt European countries, with Mafia families controlling vast wealth and millionaire Politicians...

Least my eyes are open

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:36:25 »

Sorry, what?
Did you look at the link you sent? Italy is one of the most corrupt European countries, with Mafia families controlling vast wealth and millionaire Politicians...

Least my eyes are open

And Italy is 69th on the list... and your point is? What does Italy's position have to do with my trusting Finland's government? <confused>
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:51:16 »
And back on topic, if it doesn't give yout he willies that the default settings on an Express install enables keylogging and sending this data to a US server, then you're either dead or just numb from the neck up. Keylogging = every keypress recorded... Everything, usernames & passwords, whatever you type in for online banking included.

You claim I'm naive for trusting my government with my privacy and yet are okay with trusting MS with everyones data?
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 05:02:24 »
You claim I'm naive for trusting my government with my privacy and yet are okay with trusting MS with everyones data?

Politics is a field where often the least qualified people are the ones trying to get the job.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 23:36:15 »
I guess you forgot the spyware claims against Win7 when it came out.
Or the claims against Vista.
Or the claims against...

Using an older system isn't really a good defense either, as while it may not have built in spyware, it does have older security methods and known breaches, which can be exploited easier than on a new system.

And for those claiming Linux is better, need I remind you about Ubuntu/Amazon debacle. Not to mention Linus has confirmed he was asked to put spy stuff in the kernel. While he didn't, there have been attempts to do it through other means. There is that Chinese Linux that blocks the US government... However, it means opening yourself up to the Chinese.

At some point, those who hold out the most, will end up under worse scrutiny than those who flood the gov with their info. This is what is happening to people using Tor. Bottom line, there is no easy answer. Use what you want, do what you can.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 23:42:26 »
I think at worst,  if the government knew everything about you,   It'd make it very hard to lie on your tax forms..

But everything else, no one really cares about.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 00:05:59 »
You can learn far more about someone just looking at their Facebook page.
Which by the way, the IRS does watch and has used to find tax dodgers.

You guys really have no idea how much they already know about you (you start to figure it out pretty quick when they show up at your door), and most of you give it all away on Facebook anyhow. What you know is the tip of the iceberg, conspiracy theorists may not always know where the rabbit hole ends, but they aren't always as crazy as people think either.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 00:11:54 »
You can learn far more about someone just looking at their Facebook page.
Which by the way, the IRS does watch and has used to find tax dodgers.

You guys really have no idea how much they already know about you (you start to figure it out pretty quick when they show up at your door), and most of you give it all away on Facebook anyhow. What you know is the tip of the iceberg, conspiracy theorists may not always know where the rabbit hole ends, but they aren't always as crazy as people think either.

Leslieann sounds like a sneaky self promoting conspiracy theorist to me...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 02:28:52 »
Which is why I don't use Facebook or any other social networking site (although I have a minimal profile on LinkedIn for business purposes). I have been around as the internet has developed from an inter-university connection to what it is today and have always been very careful what I use it for and what I share on it. And I never install software until I've checked exactly what it does (and I DO read EULA's and privacy policies and read between the lines, especially when something is written vaguely). And I don't use any service that may put my data on a server in US or a country that has an agreement with US to share data when requested. So if someone wants to build a profile on me, they're going to have to use means other than the 'net.

What Win7 vulnerabilities can be taken advantage of if I don't allow anything to be run on my system until I've vetted it? And I don't use IE, plugins or browser addons. Etc... Data paranoia FTW.

@baldgye:

Politics is a field where often the least qualified people are the ones trying to get the job.

And in Finland, USUALLY they DON'T, unlike many other countries. Selective quoting is not an argument.

... trust in the government is the majority view, rather than the minority, backed up by a long history of that trust being upheld. ...

It's easy to lose faith in your government if they behave stupidly or abuse the trust that's given them. Hasn't happened to me here. Definitely has in South Africa where I used to live (massive corruption and lies, especially around election time), so I am speaking from experience. Mandela managed to slowly build up trust, since he truly was trying to build a government that puts the needs of the people first, but since he stepped down it's been deteriorating in leaps and bounds.

Trust goes both ways, the government knows that if they abuse the trust placed in them it goes away.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 02:54:58 »
Hey buddy it's like I said, it's sweet how much you trust your politicians and I'm sure like you said Finland has some of the most decent, honest and nicest politicians in the world.
And I'm 100% sure your right to blindly trust them, because like you said, it's literally impossible for them to do things without your knowledge or in secret. Them having any kind of surveillance system in place would be impossible and they ofc wouldn't ever dream if engaging in any underhand means in order to get jobs done (like history has shown all people have done throughout history).

But as Bro pointed out, you can turn off MS's metadata gathering tools.

And I don't use any service that may put my data on a server in US or a country that has an agreement with US to share data when requested.

But your ok with GeekHack?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 03:08:35 by baldgye »

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 04:09:01 »
Geekhack doesn't even let me use a VPN or Tor without getting me banned for being a spambot, they be snitching.

I think I sit somewhere between baldgye and Oobly. baldgye you sound like someone who's given up last-days-of-Rome style because we're on the path to oblivion anyway, Oobly you're opting out of too much useful stuff, I like the idea of not using services where harvesting my data is their business model, but on the other hand I've decided I'm willing to give up an amount of my data for using them. I think to say privacy is dead online is way off, sure it's been eroded as our daily lives are increasingly lived online but we have ways to communicate and be private online and we are right to resist and object to the natural tendencies of the state to know everything about our private lives.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:10:21 »
Nicely put, oledome.

I don't think I'm giving up too much, TBH. The only gain I can see from FB is having a business page, which requires also having a personal page. There aren't any online services whose convenience outweighs the risk factor, for me. Cloud storage - don't need. Social media - don't need. Twitter - nobody needs. I use Gmail now and then for messages and data I don't mind being "out there", but I don't need it as I have a different webmail service with secure servers that I can use.

And yes, I'm okay with GeekHack. Firstly, there's no link to my real name, so a certain level of anonymity is retained. Secondly, I don't put anything on here that I don't mind being public. It's a public forum with open access, so whatever I put here is for public consumption. If governments want to snoop on it, so what?

And I don't "blindly trust" the government. I trust them with issues they have a track record of being trustworthy in.

The biggest problem with Win10 as I see it, is they don't clearly inform the user of what the default privacy settings allow the system to do, which is what EU law requires. So it's likely MS will be forced to either make a nice big disclaimer in the express install process or to change the default settings for installations in EU.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:53:30 »
Leslieann sounds like a sneaky self promoting conspiracy theorist to me...
Show Image

I avoid that stuff at all costs since leaving the military.

I saw and experienced way too much.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tbc

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:05:41 »
never understood how 'online privacy' can be an issue.  why not just lie?  i've never had to provide proof of ID anywhere on the internet (does facebook have different restrictions for different countries?)

another thing to think about...literally dozens or hundreds of people know where you physically are at any time (unless you've been killed by the mafia).
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:10:49 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 03:58:32 »
never understood how 'online privacy' can be an issue.  why not just lie?  i've never had to provide proof of ID anywhere on the internet (does facebook have different restrictions for different countries?)

another thing to think about...literally dozens or hundreds of people know where you physically are at any time (unless you've been killed by the mafia).

But if you use Cortana, Windows 10 has access to your name, nickname, contacts, calendar, etc. So unless you live a complete "false" life, you (and your friends and colleagues on your contact list) are clearly identified and your online activity can be tracked and linked to you through various means.

Facebook requires you to use your correct "real-life" name when you create an account. Not sure what they do if they find someone's using a pseudonym, though. And then there are all the services that request you to add your telephone number "for security reasons", so they can uniquely identify you (and link to your real name through telecoms providers or digital yellow pages databases).

Providing proof of ID and a system inferring your ID are different things, but both have the same end result. It's all about creating links with high degrees of certainty and most people create enough data through their online use for this to be a trivial challenge for those who really want this info. Sometimes you don't even have to provide the data, like in the case of your FB friends tagging you in photos, etc.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 04:21:33 »

But if you use Cortana, Windows 10 has access to your name, nickname, contacts, calendar, etc.

-name; oh no!
-nickname; Bigballer69, I'm ok with that
-contacts; on my pc?
-calendar; the one on outlook, i dont have that installed

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 06:26:34 »

But if you use Cortana, Windows 10 has access to your name, nickname, contacts, calendar, etc.

-name; oh no!
-nickname; Bigballer69, I'm ok with that
-contacts; on my pc?
-calendar; the one on outlook, i dont have that installed

I'm happy for you.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:34:55 »
Oh no! Microsoft is doing what Google an Apple have been up to for Years!

Welp gotta complain on facebook and Google at how Microsoft is invading mah privacy!

I'ts stiff that's been looked into. There are things whitelisted that superceeds the hosts file, which I don't like exists, and it's being looked into by people that want to give us the option to turn it all off above and beyond the switchboard microsoft's lain out. Not the end of the world. Bad, but not OH GOD END OF THE WORLD bad.

Besides, the 'free for the first year' stunt was Microsoft using how much money they have in a smart manner to eat initial costs to build a big enough install base so developers will see the new windows as a platform worth jumping on. That and getting as many people off older versions is a good idea, although I do wish they extended that offer to vista users, since the vista machine I installed preview builds on ran them pretty smoothly and if you're on vista you seriously need to bail.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:09:04 »
Oh no! Microsoft is doing what Google an Apple have been up to for Years!

Welp gotta complain on facebook and Google at how Microsoft is invading mah privacy!

I'ts stiff that's been looked into. There are things whitelisted that superceeds the hosts file, which I don't like exists, and it's being looked into by people that want to give us the option to turn it all off above and beyond the switchboard microsoft's lain out. Not the end of the world. Bad, but not OH GOD END OF THE WORLD bad.

Besides, the 'free for the first year' stunt was Microsoft using how much money they have in a smart manner to eat initial costs to build a big enough install base so developers will see the new windows as a platform worth jumping on. That and getting as many people off older versions is a good idea, although I do wish they extended that offer to vista users, since the vista machine I installed preview builds on ran them pretty smoothly and if you're on vista you seriously need to bail.

It's basically a replay of Bill Gate's initial strategy , by letting people copy the original.. 

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!