Author Topic: Best keyboard for fast typing ?  (Read 28929 times)

Offline eurekastreet

Best keyboard for fast typing ?
« on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:04:14 »

I have owned a Steelseries 6gv2 - mx black for the past 6 years, bought it when I had a lot of time to dedicate  to gaming, and it was just fine. The past couple of months  I didn't have time to game anymoren, and hopefully, for the sake of my bank account, it will remain so in the foreseeable future.
I've been working as a translator for a few months now, so typing speed is becoming a concern, as many contracts are paid per translated word. The faster I type, the more I get paid (well, it's not as simple as that, but anyhow, it's part of the issue).

So, the past month, I've been browsing and browsing and reading and  then I browsed and browsed again for new keyboards. Once you start doing that, it's real drug - but you knew that already. One of the many things I concluded from my readings (and this website) was that mx blacks were bad for typing. I could have guessed that before, but having no point of comparaison - and no shops around to test other springs- I just took a leap of faith....and opened my wallet twice in the past couple of weeks (and something tells me this ain't over).

First time : I bought a second hand (unused) Filco Majestouch 2 Mx brown (got it down to 75 Euros after some negotiating so I couldn't resist). I've been using it for 3-4 days now. I've done some testing (you know them online websites) and it seems  my wpm has improved by 10-15% - and hopefully it will still improve once I get used to them.  It's a good start. The problem for me with the mx blacks (I think) is that it was a bit too stiff, my pinkies didnt like fast typing on those outside/further away keys,  which slowed down the whole experience. Browns seem/feel much softer and I gotta say I enjoy that, and so do my pinkies. I blame my girlie hands and tiny fingers. The downside of switching to browns  is that I'm not used to the 'bump' yet, I still think of it now and then while I'm typing, and fingers/hands feel a bit painful at the end of the day, but (hopefully) this will go away once I'm getting used to it...it might just be that typing a bit faster now just require more/new muscles/muscle memory. No idea, hope it'll get better

Second time : I ordered a Unicomp ultra classic through Mdrop. It's being shipped right now. I wanted to test the clickyness, as the last time I did that was when I was a child, on an IBM PS2 model. I couldn't resist to the nostalgia of it all, and only heard good things about those Unicomps models. I can't wait  to receive it, and be able to compare it to the Filco. I'm a bit worried that - once again - my weak pinkies might not enjoy the experience, and it'll make my typing slower than with the browns. Maybe it's my hand positioning that's not adequate as well. I should google that, I guess there's videos explaining how to do this properly, like most people I guess, I have never checked them.
Anyway time will tell.

The steelseries is gonna be sold (or if I don't get an ok price for it, might save it for some paint job during the summer but whatever happens, unless I get major strains using the browns, I don't think I'll use blacks again, at least for now).

I'm gonna compare the filco and the unicomp as soon as I receive it and we'll see which one feels better.

Now I don't want to stop there, as I said before, being paid per translated word, better typing speed also means better money so it'd probably be foolish to spend the coming months and years typing using the wrong tool. Just like a cook wouldn't use a blunt knife I guess.
So I'm wondering what model to try next. I want to get as much info before buying as possible, as I'll probably need to do some long distance shipping for the product (can't find a belgian/french shop having a large mechanical keyboard offer, unless I want a keyboard that looks like a map of Las Vegas, which I don't)

I don't have a huge desk space, and having a portable model seemed like a nice option, so I was thinking testing a 60 percent model, as an alternative to the other tanks I already owned.
For a while I've been eyeing the Poker - mx red model. But yesterday I read this review of HHK and their Topre switches...I'm still new to geekhack/keyboards in general, I learn as I go, but sometimes it seems there's so much info it's hard to know in which direction to go to.

I don't care about the noise level. Look and portability are important (I don't need LEDs, I don't want snakes and flying piglets tattooed all over my keyboard, I'd rather something simple and elegant). I want the switches to be light. I don't need a bump or a click (I guess browns and buckling cover those already) but if that's your recommendation, it's fine too.

Budget matters, just like for anybody else, but I'd be willing to pay a higher price if I was certain it'd give better results.  So if you got recommendations, tips, links to bargain sales etc, I'm all ears. Oh, and I'd rather have a model that comes with blanks preinstalled (or that can be replaced later). I'm using a french azerty layout, and probably will have to order from abroad, so I'd rather have blanks shipped than a qwerty layout, as I will have no use for it.

TL;DR which 60 percent or tkl  for fast typing (already own browns and buckling but want to improve/try other solutions to improve wpm). Which keycaps : Red MX ? Topre ? Others ? And which keyboard model would you recommend ?

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
Re: Best keyboard for fast typing ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:22:18 »
HHKB.

HHKB always

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:22:24 »
Your thinking wayyy too much into it.

I type as fast as I do on my P.O.S. dell keyboard than on my mechs. I do make a lot more mistakes on reds (because they are light).

I would personally recommend a poker (ii or pok3r is fine). Switch would be clears or blues. Tactile will help you type and give you audible feedback after hitting every switch.

Edit: My score is 110 wpm avg right now on typeracer.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:43:06 »
I wish I had that APM ;d I'm not familiar with clears, I'll read about them.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 05:50:07 »
I wish I had that APM ;d I'm not familiar with clears, I'll read about them.

Clears are definitely my favorite Mx switch !
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 05:52:35 »
HHKB.

HHKB always

Second this. I'm around 95-105 with my HHKB, whereas I'm about a 80-90 with my MX & BS boards.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 06:09:16 »
My only worry about the 60 percent factor is the missing up/down/left/right arrow - which i use quite a lot, out of habit. I'm really willing to try 60 percent, but is the fn + wasd (or whatever other solution)a good substitute for it ? is it easy to get used to and is it as efficient/fast once you're used to it ?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 06:10:57 »
Ergodox.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 06:26:30 »
My only worry about the 60 percent factor is the missing up/down/left/right arrow - which i use quite a lot, out of habit. I'm really willing to try 60 percent, but is the fn + wasd (or whatever other solution)a good substitute for it ? is it easy to get used to and is it as efficient/fast once you're used to it ?

Absolutely. On the HHKB it's Fn + [;'/ for the arrow keys. Here's an image of the Fn layer:

It seems weird at first, but it's honestly not bad at all. I much prefer the HHKB layout to everything else out there at this point. It took me about a week, maybe less, to get used to the arrow keys, but once you do it's second nature. I'm also a big fan of the CTRL and Backspace locations on the HHKB, as it makes them even easier to press. I've quite large hands, and I find the HHKB to be the perfect size for me.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 06:28:43 »
I agree HHKB
I get about +10wpm on my hhkb but its all in your technique. A keyboard is not going to magically give you more wmp.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 07:08:36 by appleonama »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 06:51:10 »
Wow, I'm surprised that other people are having faster results with Topre boards as well. I currently own a Topre Realforce, Filco with MX Browns, Ducky Shine 5 with MX Nature Whites, and I just recently got a Leopold FX 750 with MX Blues.

And as of right now, I definitely do type faster on the Topre than any other boards I own. For some reason I just make a lot more typos with Cherry MX switches. At the same time, don't take that as any definitive answer as to which switch is "the best for typing", because from what I remember, Sean Wrona, who currently owns the fastest typing record on typeracer.com used to type on a Das Keyboard with MX Blues (I have no idea if he still does not). And he averages 189 WPM. So... if MX Blues were good enough for him to get to 160+ WPM, and I can't average more than 110+ WPM... it's probably not the keyboard that's limiting me.

As far as the best typing feel goes... maybe I'm just having some "newborn" bias, but honestly I'm really digging these MX Blues right now. After typing on MX Browns for over a year, and the MX Nature White for a couple of months, I just got tired of not having definitive tactility when typing - it just made me sloppy/lazy when typing. And the MX Blues now give me that crisp, clean tactile feeling. Noise might be an issue for some, but I don't mind it personally.

So for me, the order of my favorite to worst switch goes - MX Blue, Topre, MX Nature White, MX Brown.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 07:45:54 »
I agree HHKB
I get about +10wpm on my hhkb but its all in your technique. A keyboard is not going to magically give you more wmp.

I'd already be super happy with a 5-10 percent speed bump. At the end of one year of maniacal typing, it's a lot of time saved.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 07:52:52 »
I hadn't considered mx blue so far. Wouldn't they provide the same kind of feeling (auditory and tactile) than the unicomp ? Having mx brown and buckling available, I was thinking of reds or topre to have a diversified offer....I guess I'd then pick my favorite between that diversified range and stick to it to be efficient (and sell the two others later on, or have fun customizing them). Not the cheapest way to do things, but not having any other way to test all of them, it's the only solution I got...

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 08:24:36 »
First, make sure you read this

Ergodox.

I agree. I get about 100 WPM on most Topre boards, but I can see myself easily breaking that after getting adopted to the Ergodox. The columnar layout would be a significant factor in reducing the amount of distance your fingers move across the board. You may even wish to try learning another layout if possible like Dvorak or Colemak (which can be programmed to the ergodox). FWIW QWERTY was invented to keep typewriters from jamming due to speed, so there's that to take into consideration ;)

As far as switch types, I type fastest on linears.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 09:21:27 »
Tactile Alps
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 09:39:10 »
Those of you making less typos on Topre - do keep in mind the initial resistance resides almost entirely at the top of the switch and then collapses afterward - the resistance is provided primarily by the dome, not the spring. As such, you are making less typos due to accidental presses of adjacent keys.

@OP - I type incredibly fast on any switch that I tend to use, but I do tend to prefer my mx reds where absolute speed is concerned. Due to the nature of a light, linear switch, however, your accuracy needs to be absolutely spot on, otherwise your speed will suffer terribly and you will gain no benefit.

You are best served thinking of if you really do want to pursue absolute speed, or a balance of typing speed and typing comfort/pleasantness. That balance is more about what mech kbs are, rather than the absolute speed metric. To compare, a similar thread came up not so long ago from a scissor switch user that was looking for a "short travel" mech switch equivalent to type as fast with - the truth is nothing is going to beat a scissor switch at that metric.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 09:48:41 »
Those of you making less typos on Topre - do keep in mind the initial resistance resides almost entirely at the top of the switch and then collapses afterward - the resistance is provided primarily by the dome, not the spring. As such, you are making less typos due to accidental presses of adjacent keys.

@OP - I type incredibly fast on any switch that I tend to use, but I do tend to prefer my mx reds where absolute speed is concerned. Due to the nature of a light, linear switch, however, your accuracy needs to be absolutely spot on, otherwise your speed will suffer terribly and you will gain no benefit.

You are best served thinking of if you really do want to pursue absolute speed, or a balance of typing speed and typing comfort/pleasantness. That balance is more about what mech kbs are, rather than the absolute speed metric. To compare, a similar thread came up not so long ago from a scissor switch user that was looking for a "short travel" mech switch equivalent to type as fast with - the truth is nothing is going to beat a scissor switch at that metric.

What are the downsides of scissor switches ? Frailty ? Lack of comfort ?
Any recommendation of good keyboard models with scissor switches  ? I know nothing about the topic, if you got tips, it'll save me some time having to go through reviews of subpar models...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 11:41:58 »
If I were to say what some people say about the Novatouch in their review videos I would say topre is the key to speed. The spring/rubber dome sends the key back up for you in the fastest way possible from what they say. Seems kind of ridiculous imo.

I would look in to key profile heights. I noticed that I made less mistakes with OEM profile keys during high school typing tests. I'm using a keyboard with something similar to DSA profile now and I'm not happy about it  :'( I guess my muscle memory is bound to different key shapes of each row.

If you never make mistakes this would be trivial obviously. Find a switch you like.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 12:52:45 »
I would look in to key profile heights. I noticed that I made less mistakes with OEM profile keys during high school typing tests. I'm using a keyboard with something similar to DSA profile now and I'm not happy about it  :'( I guess my muscle memory is bound to different key shapes of each row.

If you never make mistakes this would be trivial obviously. Find a switch you like.
This is also true. If I switch from a board with Cherry profile, or really any other profile that's sculpted, I notice many more typos with DSA. 

Hence why HHKB is king of all, again  :))

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:03:47 »
What are the downsides of scissor switches ? Frailty ? Lack of comfort ?
Any recommendation of good keyboard models with scissor switches  ? I know nothing about the topic, if you got tips, it'll save me some time having to go through reviews of subpar models...

The Sculpt Ergonomic is my favorite scissor switch keyboard. It's super comfortable to use for long periods of time and it's well built for the price. You should be able to find one without a mouse for about $40-50 on eBay.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:23:50 »
The problem with scissor switch keyboards is if the key pops off the switch. You have to have watch making dexterity to get the keycap back on without bending the little plastic scissor switch tabs. Cleaning under the keys?  :'( I see why HHKB is so popular

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:14:48 »
As long as the keys are tactile, that would reduce the number of mistakes.

Nothing else really influences speed from the keyboard end.

Your reading speed and -translation ability- is going to be the main bottleneck to the entire process.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:48:44 »
I hadn't considered mx blue so far. Wouldn't they provide the same kind of feeling (auditory and tactile) than the unicomp ? Having mx brown and buckling available, I was thinking of reds or topre to have a diversified offer....I guess I'd then pick my favorite between that diversified range and stick to it to be efficient (and sell the two others later on, or have fun customizing them). Not the cheapest way to do things, but not having any other way to test all of them, it's the only solution I got...

I've never had the buckling spring, so I can't really say. I'm sure the differences in resistance, and the mechanisms for tactility are big enough to warrant the MX Blues a try, though. As someone who owns both MX Brown and MX Nature White boards, a difference of 10g+ in resistance makes a big difference in switch feel (I'm reading that buckling springs require 60g+ of actuation force, whereas the MX Blues require 50g).

No... I don't think it's that. The MX Blue's resistance is very close to the top as well, and I'm slower on the MX Blues. I think it has to do with the fact that Topre switches are smoother and have less wobble, so I'm more confident in hitting the keys, and being sure that they're being actuated. With MX switches, because there is more wobble, I have to be more conscious of making sure that my hitting keys has actually actuated the switch.

But that's just me. I type faster on the Topre, but I prefer the feel of the MX Blue. The crisp tactility is just addicting for me.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:52:16 »
HHKB or Ergodox.

The Ergodox kinda forces you to have better ergonomics while typing.

Or if you are really serious, stop typing on azerty and maybe try colmak
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:17:23 by Bromono »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:53:10 »
Double post

Offline Kalp1

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:08:31 »
60wpm here, so no real experience.

I would wait for a sale on ldlc.com and go for a Novatouch, with ISO blank PBT to stay on azerty.

If you want to switch to ansi, with Hhkb or Poker, perhaps you should look to bépo which is a french Dvorak, since US international is not made for a specific language.

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:17:47 »

I type as fast as I do on my P.O.S. dell keyboard than on my mechs. I do make a lot more mistakes on reds (because they are light).

I would personally recommend a poker (ii or pok3r is fine). Switch would be clears or blues. Tactile will help you type and give you audible feedback after hitting every switch.

Same here. I get about 125 (on 10ff) with the MacBook as well as the Pok3r with browns. Same with the DuckyShine2  with reds but my fingers get tired way faster on that one and also more mistakes.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:53:29 »
Double post

Yeah I've been thinking of it. But I started my own company a couple of months ago, so it's not cruising  yet, and every minute spent learning to walk again is...Well, potential money lost. On the long run, it sure is a tempting solution, for now, I can't afford spending time learning to walk again (if it was just a matter of a couple of days, it'd be fine, but from what I read, it'd take weeks to master a completely new layout....or do you have another view on this ?)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:32:37 »
Double post

Yeah I've been thinking of it. But I started my own company a couple of months ago, so it's not cruising  yet, and every minute spent learning to walk again is...Well, potential money lost. On the long run, it sure is a tempting solution, for now, I can't afford spending time learning to walk again (if it was just a matter of a couple of days, it'd be fine, but from what I read, it'd take weeks to master a completely new layout....or do you have another view on this ?)
I'm sort of on the same side of the fence. I started Dvorak a few weeks ago. I know one day I'll replace qwerty with dvorak but I'm not in a hurry to do so. I spend anywhere from 1min - 15min a day learning dvorak.

I trip a lot when I put one foot in front of the other  :))

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:50:14 »
As long as the keys are tactile, that would reduce the number of mistakes.

Nothing else really influences speed from the keyboard end.

Your reading speed and -translation ability- is going to be the main bottleneck to the entire process.

Totally agree, but still, I'll spend a big part of my time typing, so what's gained is gained, the "little" time I'd gain from faster typing through better gear (I'm working on my wpm simultaneously through online training, for what it's worth) is still worth optimizing imo if you sum up the hundreds/thousands of hours I'll spend typing in the coming months (years)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:52:45 »
Tactile Alps
Personally, my best switch for fast typing is Alps plate spring. Not my favorite as far as feel or sound is concerned, but the snap on the upstroke really helps fingers dance across the keys.

If you care more about making other people *think* you are typing fast, then get a Model F. Everyone in your office will be ashamed at how pitiful their typing sounds in comparison.

As for best overall *keyboard*, well, that depends on your level of training, your preferences, how much time you are willing to invest, etc.

Something split and tented with a column-based key arrangement in a custom shape to match your hands, and a custom-designed logical letter layout is probably better than a standard ANSI/QWERTY keyboard.

If you *really* want to be fast, get a chorded stenography keyboard. For trained professional transcriptionists, this is roughly twice the typing speed of a regular keyboard, if you stick to typing words (as compared to e.g. writing computer code).

In practice though, most people here are stuck with the 19th century one-piece QWERTY-style board, or perhaps slight variants (I don’t think we have any stenographers). So listening to all of our advice is like going to a bunch of horse-cart drivers and asking what the fastest engine would be for a wheeled vehicle.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 17:04:13 by jacobolus »

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:59:23 »
HHKB.  I thought I couldn't do without the dedicated arrow keys.  Boy, was I wrong, this is so easy and intuitive, and if I switch to one of my other boards with arrow keys, it's weirdly seamless, muscle memory somehow switches back and forth depending on what I'm using.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 17:09:55 »

Same here. I get about 125 (on 10ff) with the MacBook as well as the Pok3r with browns. Same with the DuckyShine2  with reds but my fingers get tired way faster on that one and also more mistakes.

The filco i got last week is ANSI. Blank PBT's from qtan are on the way for it, I've never tried PBT before, but I doubt it will change much to my typing speed (I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this, but I doubt i'll be), I mostly ordered them for aesthetic purpose (I'm doomed, I guess that's how you start pimping your keyboard, and once you're gone, you can't go baaaaaaack, when you're out of the blue, and into the blaaaack). This, just to say that ANSI azerty is fine imo as I'm touch typing 95 percent of the time anyway (and hopefully soon at 99 percent). The only key I miss vs ISO right now is  the <> dedicated key, but I seldom use it, and ascii code aren't too hard to mesmorize anyway so this won't be a problem for much longer.

So yeah bépo/dvorak (as discussed above) is tempting, I guess I'll give it a try in the future, but I can't afford to spend too much time on it right now (I'd rather try and improve my accuracy on azerty first, I think it'll give faster "return on investment", which is what I have to focus on right now, but I'll keep dvorak in mind for sure - maybe a project for the next holidays, whenever that will happen ;d)

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 17:35:32 »
Tactile Alps
Personally, my best switch for fast typing is Alps plate spring. Not my favorite as far as feel or sound is concerned, but the snap on the upstroke really helps fingers dance across the keys.
Show Image

If you care more about making other people *think* you are typing fast, then get a Model F. Everyone in your office will be ashamed at how pitiful their typing sounds in comparison.

As for best overall *keyboard*, well, that depends on your level of training, your preferences, how much time you are willing to invest, etc.

Something split and tented with a column-based key arrangement in a custom shape to match your hands, and a custom-designed logical letter layout is probably better than a standard ANSI/QWERTY keyboard.

If you *really* want to be fast, get a chorded stenography keyboard. For trained professional transcriptionists, this is roughly twice the typing speed of a regular keyboard, if you stick to typing words (as compared to e.g. writing computer code).

In practice though, most people here are stuck with the 19th century one-piece QWERTY-style board, or perhaps slight variants (I don’t think we have any stenographers). So listening to all of our advice is like going to a bunch of horse-cart drivers and asking what the fastest engine would be for a wheeled vehicle.

I just checked Alps plate springs through this youtube lk :
Reminded me of my IBM M2 keyboard from twenty years ago, and they sure look nice. Oh this is a neverending quest. Chorded steno keyboards sound interesting (I just checked a couple of videos about), but doesn't steno involve a lot of "backoffice" work to decode what you've been instant-typing, or is there computer solutions for this nowadays, that decode everything in real time. I don't think I'm ready for this yet, but if you got links, I'd be happy to read more about it ;d

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 17:39:44 »
HHKB.  I thought I couldn't do without the dedicated arrow keys.  Boy, was I wrong, this is so easy and intuitive, and if I switch to one of my other boards with arrow keys, it's weirdly seamless, muscle memory somehow switches back and forth depending on what I'm using.

People sure seem to love their HHKB, it is a tempting solution. I'll read more about it (and will try and find comparative reviews vs pokers and similar gear) Ergo, dvoraks, steno all sound great too, but I'd have to read about those a lot before I'd decide to pick one, and then the training would probably be demanding, so I'm not sure I can afford this right now...

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 18:05:50 »
Yeah!  Glad you're doing the research!  As far as the HHKB goes, in about 3 days I was completely used to the Fn layer arrows, I switched to my TKL and full-size cherry boards at home, and didn't even consciously process when I was using the arrow keys for web browsing and other stuff.  It was a non-issue.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 05:30:24 »
When I'm at home, I use a pok3r with reds, which allows to type very fast.

But if you need to do some real work, a 60% layout is a real joke, completely unusable. Sometimes you've got one hand on the mouse, and moving the hand away to press an acrobatic key combination of really annoying. Try it for yourself, thank me later.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 05:43:36 »
The only reason I type faster on the hhkb is due to the switch weight and layout. 45g is much faster for me to press plus the backspace position also makes it easier.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 06:36:12 »
Is there any thread dedicated on where the buy keyboards in each country ? I'm in Belgium but can't find good keyboard stores online (or I'm looking in the wrong place). I'd like to buy from Belgium for VAT/tax purpose/convenience...

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 07:10:05 »

https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/uk_shopping_guide

Is there any thread dedicated on where the buy keyboards in each country ? I'm in Belgium but can't find good keyboard stores online (or I'm looking in the wrong place). I'd like to buy from Belgium for VAT/tax purpose/convenience...

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 08:28:02 »
TKL: Realforce 87u 45g was really fast right out of the box (113WPM)
60%: HHKB. Slow at first but once you get used to the layout the short travel distance speeds things up (115WPM)

Other notable switches: Low gram weighted Zealios (62g, 65g). I find I type rather quickly on the tactile 65gs (115-120WPM).

I have not tried linears. I suspect blacks would increase my APM while typing - but would make me prone to more accuracy errors without a tactile bump to help guide me.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 09:09:40 »

https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/uk_shopping_guide

Thanks.  Looks like I should start my own keyboard ebay store, there's really close to no decent belgian reseller around :/

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:28:16 »

I must correct my statement. Got aGH60 with Gateron blues since yesterday and i hit repeatedly 130-134 wpm with it.

Offline eurekastreet

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:50:10 »

I must correct my statement. Got aGH60 with Gateron blues since yesterday and i hit repeatedly 130-134 wpm with it.

What's an aGH60 ? Can you provide links ? Also, any tips for good/cheap german resellers are welcome...

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:53:47 »

What's an aGH60 ? Can you provide links ? Also, any tips for good/cheap german resellers are welcome...
A 60%-keyboard(design) made by geekhack: https://geekhack.org/?topic=34959.0. I got all the parts for it from ebay (Satan PCB), its cheap and shipping takes about two weeks to germany. Also no customs duty because they write on the package that it only costs 3euros.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 17:26:16 »
GH60 and Satan GH60 are produced by different groups of people.

From what I know the original GH60 project dissolved (idk why). Then someone or some people made the Satan GH60. Good PCB from what people say though.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 18:47:12 »
I always felt like I typed much faster on MX Blues. It's effortless to type on them.

However, when I type on my white ALPS, I type a bit slower but make much fewer mistakes.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:47:45 »
Thus far it's been MX brown for me at 95-105 WPM
However the more i get used to Topre i'm already after 48 hours at 90+ Average where as it took me quite a bit longer using Browns to sustain that.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 06:11:14 »
the one with the most comfortable layout and switch for you, just go out to any retail store which stocks keyboards and have a try of everything

the switches themselves wont make you type faster, it's how well your brain can acclimate with your peripherals, so comfort is always the no1 priority.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 06:25:47 »
It's like... as mentioned before, the fastest typists in the world can type up to 180+ WPM on average. I really wouldn't sweat about how the switches "affect my performance" until I can get anywhere near close to that speed.