Author Topic: Fixing a Cracked Standoff in an HHKB Pro 2  (Read 2455 times)

Offline dasein1980

Fixing a Cracked Standoff in an HHKB Pro 2
« on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 13:49:00 »
I recently purchased a new HHKB Pro 2 and Realforce 87u.

I swapped the domes, but when I was putting the HHKB back together, I noticed that a standoff in the bottom case had a large crack in it.

I doubt I did this, because I only unscrewed it once before I noticed it. But I've already put too much work into this board to return it to the seller.

I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I want to fix this, even if it's not causing any real problems.

I looked into ways to fix plastic screw holes and found these videos that use epoxy, teflon tape, and screw on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRsLGa8w0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xcpZIS3fgY

Does anyone have any experience with this method and some wisdom they can impart?

If not, can anyone see any potential problems with this?

Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Fixing a Cracked Standoff in an HHKB Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 15:28:54 »
You would only do that if it the standoff was going to take a large load..

In this case, I really wouldn't bother..   At most I'd put a little dab of superglue on the crack and let it soak in while the screw (Is OUT),

Even then, I don't think it's necessary and you could crack the standoff if the glue didn't work right.

An -Obsessive Compulsive- has no self-control once triggered.. They typically don't actually perfect anything, they will merely hyperfocus on something, run out of stamina, and render an overall incomplete result in the end.

A Functional-Perfectionist is someone who understands that there is no such thing as perfection, Perfectionism is the process of getting closer to the limit of perceivable difference and that ALL optimizations are weighed, influenced, and limited by the objective.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 21:46:16 »
Is the standoff stripped?
Sounds more like the screw was too large for the hole causing the fracture.  Consider trying to find a plastic tube to fit over the standoff and glue it in place.  That would reinforce the standoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline dasein1980

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 18:14:58 »
You would only do that if it the standoff was going to take a large load..

In this case, I really wouldn't bother..   At most I'd put a little dab of superglue on the crack and let it soak in while the screw (Is OUT),

Even then, I don't think it's necessary and you could crack the standoff if the glue didn't work right.

An -Obsessive Compulsive- has no self-control once triggered.. They typically don't actually perfect anything, they will merely hyperfocus on something, run out of stamina, and render an overall incomplete result in the end.

A Functional-Perfectionist is someone who understands that there is no such thing as perfection, Perfectionism is the process of getting closer to the limit of perceivable difference and that ALL optimizations are weighed, influenced, and limited by the objective.

Thanks! As soon as I read this, I knew you were right. I was already worried about doing more damage, but you made it clear that it's not bearing a heavy load, so it's probably not worth it.

Yes, I admit, the infinity that opens up between my desire and the asymptotic limit of endgame (so-called), can distract me from just being in the moment with my KB: constantly looking for ways to improve it, I spend my minutes and days forgetting to appreciate what it is, because I'm looking past it to what it could be.

The Ancient Greek word for limit (peras) did not primarily mean "where something ends." More originally, it meant "where something begins to presence."

If only I could u-turn my desire's infinite path, from its transcendence beyond where my HHKB ends, and back towards where my keeb currently begins, like Zeno's infinitely approaching arrow—so that this mech's ending would be in-itself, to begin with.

Finitude is often considered to be the distance from infinity. But it can also be thought of as the desire for an ever refined closeness between finite things.

Offline dasein1980

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 18:20:57 »
Sounds more like the screw was too large for the hole causing the fracture.  Consider trying to find a plastic tube to fit over the standoff and glue it in place.  That would reinforce the standoff.

Thanks for your response!

No, the standoff is not stripped. They were stock screws. I don't understand how it happened.

But I'm going to follow your suggestion and look for some sort of plastic tube to help reinforce the standoff.

That seems like a way less risky, but also very helpful, way to re-establish its structural integrity.

Thanks again!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 18:37:42 »

Thanks for your response!

No, the standoff is not stripped. They were stock screws. I don't understand how it happened.

But I'm going to follow your suggestion and look for some sort of plastic tube to help reinforce the standoff.

That seems like a way less risky, but also very helpful, way to re-establish its structural integrity.

Thanks again!

If you must waste time on this,  steal someone's pen, cut the _tube_ then fill in the gap with epoxy.

Offline dasein1980

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 19:02:32 »

If you must waste time on this,  steal someone's pen, cut the _tube_ then fill in the gap with epoxy.

[/quote]

Heat score! ;)

Sometimes politeness requires merely speaking in a modality that rises to the occasion of what another has so kindly offered.

What happens after that is private, like stealing a pen when there is no need.