Author Topic: Is there actually anything special about G900 wireless?  (Read 44275 times)

Offline Bucake

Re: Is there actually anything special about G900 wireless?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:25:27 »
well i'd definitely want the signal to be reliable. if i ever go wireless then it would be to get rid of cable-snag and cable-drag.
i do all my gaming on a desktop PC, so i really wouldn't mind having that cable + receiver on my desk. :-)

a lot of mice have crap cables and they can be pretty bothersome. especially braided cables are absolutely terrible for me as they create a huge amount of friction on my cloth desk mat.
if the G900 was cheaper/simpler then i probably would've gone for it, but it had to have that price tag, and that's just gonna be a no for me ;p
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:26:50 »
well i'd definitely want the signal to be reliable. if i ever go wireless then it would be to get rid of cable-snag and cable-drag.
i do all my gaming on a desktop PC, so i really wouldn't mind having that cable + receiver on my desk. :-)

a lot of mice have crap cables and they can be pretty bothersome. especially braided cables are absolutely terrible for me as they create a huge amount of friction on my cloth desk mat.
if the G900 was cheaper/simpler then i probably would've gone for it, but it had to have that price tag, and that's just gonna be a no for me ;p

But if you basically have the cable on your desk, why not go all the way and KEEP it wired? Or am I reading your post not well?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Bucake

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:45:12 »
it's about the cable giving you extra resistance when moving the mouse around.
not having a cable flapping about or sliding around is a great improvement in my opinion.

for example my WMO has a bad cable, my G9x has a bad cable, my G400 has a bad cable, my DA3.5g has a bad cable.....
having them wireless would be awesome!

unfortunately with the G900 they went crazy on too many things. RGB lighting, some kind of super scroll wheel, 4 side-buttons, some kind of super click design..
if they made a "simple version" with no side-buttons, no LEDs, a normal standard scroll wheel and maybe also remove the pivot stuff, it would probably be cheap enough for me to buy. obviously that's not gonna happen, because logitech's a bunch of dix
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:49:03 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:48:33 »
it's about the cable giving you extra resistance while moving the mouse around.
not having a cable flapping about or sliding around is a great improvement in my opinion.

Yeah I understand that... I once had a mouse with a cable that was way to stiff (Logitech MX something forgot which one). Every time I put my hand of off it, it would move. Very annoying. Especially during gaming.

for example my WMO has a bad cable, my G9x has a bad cable, my G400 has a bad cable, my DA3.5g has a bad cable.....
having them wireless would be awesome!

Cables going bust is really annoying indeed. I never had it myself tbh.

unfortunately with the G900 they went crazy on too many things. RGB lighting, some kind of super scroll wheel, 4 side-buttons, some kind of super click design..
if they made a "simple version" with no side-buttons, no LEDs, a normal standard scroll wheel and maybe also remove the pivot stuff, it would probably be cheap enough for me to buy. obviously that's not gonna happen, because logitech's a bunch of *******s

I must say the G900 looks enticing, but I don't have the money around to buy it right now. Probably gonna wait on Mionix making an Avior-alike with the 3366.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:55:22 »
i didn't mean the cables breaking, i meant them giving too much resistance in some way.
like a braided cable giving a ton of friction on a cloth surface, a cable being extremely stiff, or a cable just being very thick and heavy, etc.
the only cable i think is really okay is the cable on the DA3g, which is really flexible and light. i still tape it down to avoid snagging, but i'm okay with that.

i'm kinda hoping that we'll see some more interesting (and hopefully cheaper) wireless mice this year

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:57:34 »
i didn't mean the cables breaking, i meant them giving too much resistance in some way.
like a braided cable giving a ton of friction on a cloth surface, a cable being extremely stiff, or a cable just being very thick and heavy, etc.
the only cable i think is really okay is the cable on the DA3g, which is really flexible and light. i still tape it down to avoid snagging, but i'm okay with that.

i'm kinda hoping that we'll see some more interesting (and hopefully cheaper) wireless mice this year

I also have a G400s and everybody kept complaining about the light and thin cable, but I quite like that about that mouse. One of the few mouse that don't "hang" against my desk. My Avior 7000 is the first braided cable that is relatively smooth. It does collect a sh*tload of dust though. I really have to clean it once a month or so.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 13:27:14 »
imo the G400s has a decent cable at the least. i bought one to fix an old MX510 and was surprised by how nice it was.
the G400 uses a different cable, which is stiff and fragile. it got many complaints, which is why the G400s received a more flexible and sturdier cable, including a stress-relieving part.

and yeah i know what you mean about dust on braided cables. mine also grab that bit of dust that's on my mouse mat. never really bothered to clean them though, because i'm lazy :-)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 13:37:45 »
imo the G400s has a decent cable at the least. i bought one to fix an old MX510 and was surprised by how nice it was.
the G400 uses a different cable, which is stiff and fragile. it got many complaints, which is why the G400s received a more flexible and sturdier cable, including a stress-relieving part.

and yeah i know what you mean about dust on braided cables. mine also grab that bit of dust that's on my mouse mat. never really bothered to clean them though, because i'm lazy :-)

I've also had the G400 and indeed it was my first cable break at the base where its was attached to the mouse... it literally broke off (well the rubber outer cable).

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:03:20 »
I haven't owned the G502, but I've tried it out a couple of times. From what I can remember, yea, the G900 should be a bit bulkier/bigger than the G502.
It's smaller than the G602, which is what I've been using before.  It's actually a quite slim profile, and long.

Hmmm. I've never used the G602 so I can't say, but I find the G900 wider and bulkier than other ambidextrous mice, like the FK1. The G900's butt is even slightly bigger than the Mionix Avior's.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, because obviously the G602 could be a really wide mouse (and wider than the FK1), but just providing extra comparisons so people get a better understanding of its feel.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:43:14 »
I haven't owned the G502, but I've tried it out a couple of times. From what I can remember, yea, the G900 should be a bit bulkier/bigger than the G502.
It's smaller than the G602, which is what I've been using before.  It's actually a quite slim profile, and long.

Hmmm. I've never used the G602 so I can't say, but I find the G900 wider and bulkier than other ambidextrous mice, like the FK1. The G900's butt is even slightly bigger than the Mionix Avior's.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, because obviously the G602 could be a really wide mouse (and wider than the FK1), but just providing extra comparisons so people get a better understanding of its feel.

Hmm... thanks for the info! Now I need to find a store where I can hold it in my hand. More and more difficult... stores going bankrupt here as well in the advent of webshops.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:44:07 »
Just took some pics last night, but didn't get a chance to post it.  It's definitely narrower than the G602.  I'll post it when I get home.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:21:33 »
Just took some pics last night, but didn't get a chance to post it.  It's definitely narrower than the G602.  I'll post it when I get home.

Cool! Can't wait to see them.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:51:08 »
G900 vs G602

Side by Side

G602 on top of G900

G900 on top of G602

The rear of the G900 is wider, as the 602 tapers off.  And both are the same length.  But everything else is larger on the G602, and it's overall bulkier.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:56:00 »
Hmm... thanks for the info! Now I need to find a store where I can hold it in my hand. More and more difficult... stores going bankrupt here as well in the advent of webshops.

Bought my model from Scorpion here in Oz and they are a bricks and mortar operation and have been for years.  They saw the future as being online retail, so those idiot stores still refusing to embrace the future, will soon not have one.

The G900 is the mouse that has literally cocked it's leg on all it's adversaries and peed upon them with abandon.  Basically if you are a NON-Logitech mouse owner, learn to love 'Golden Showers' on a daily basis  ;D .

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 04:03:05 »
G900 vs G602

Side by Side

Show Image

G602 on top of G900

Show Image

G900 on top of G602

Show Image

The rear of the G900 is wider, as the 602 tapers off.  And both are the same length.  But everything else is larger on the G602, and it's overall bulkier.

Thanks for the pics! Yeah, it looks like the G900 went on a diet compared to the G602.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 05:36:13 »

I still can't wrap my head around that price..

And what I REALLY hate is that your still need a receiver for this thing... Y NO Bluetooth?

Bluetooth prioritizes battery life, range and bandwidth over almost everything else, which is fine for an office mouse, or your headset. If it disconnects for a moment or lags, it's probably not a big deal.

On the other hand, Logitech has spent a small fortune making their wireless system lag free and very, very stable. Unlike bluetooth they don't have to concern themselves with bandwidth, range. or making sure it maintains compatibility with other systems leaving them to focus it towards the needs of mice. Discounting environmental or user errors, it's been years since I've seen a (rare) dropped connection. I can't say the same for pretty much any other wireless system I use, much less bluetooth.

I like bluetooth, especially on laptops, but for a gaming mouse, no thanks. I had 3 MX Revolutions, 1 of which was bluetooth (MX 5500) and while it was really nice, and had greater range, it's connection was never as solid as the other two and was relegated to notebook use (it was unable to wake the system either).  And if you're wondering, yes, I could certainly detect lag on it compared to the other two. It made for a fantastic notebook mouse, unfortunately it degraded over time (probably an Omron switch died, like always).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 14:14:44 »
It's gonna give you all hand-cancer... with its super speed wireless rays..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 21:03:48 »

Or you'll get Gamma-rays and watch your hand turn into the Green Hulk, which most youngsters would think that's cool  ;D .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 21:25:03 »

I can rebuild it, I have the technology.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 14:44:45 »

What about my iPhone on my night drawer?

Fun idea... how about you use the touch screen of an iPhone to simulate left/right mouse button and use the gyroscope in the iPhone as a "sensor". That way, you can use your iPhone as a physical mouse. Would that work?

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 10:34:26 »
I'm now more excited for a G503..  or idk, call it mx600 instead..

Just take the newest sensor, put it into an mx5** case..  reduce the weight to 60g..

THIS!  My hand just fits the MX518/G400 shape the best of any mice I've tried.  I wouldn't mind a sniper button and the hyper scroll wheel too.  I may give the G900 a try if I can use a best buy reward or something to bring the price down.  Any good guides on fixing a G400?  It seems my cable died. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Bucake

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 11:21:14 »
one option is just buying a new cable (can be found on ebay)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 14:17:38 »
one option is just buying a new cable (can be found on ebay)

Yup..

But it's not an original cable, it's a generic.. 

Not that the original was that good to begin with..

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 17:30:58 »

if they made a "simple version" with no side-buttons, no LEDs, a normal standard scroll wheel and maybe also remove the pivot stuff, it would probably be cheap enough for me to buy. obviously that's not gonna happen, because logitech's a bunch of dix

This for me. Except, coming from a Performance MX, I'm in love with the hyper scroll wheel. Like I want to have little hyper scroll wheelettes with it. But Logitech going this whole gamer route with LEDs and that ugly ass mouse design. Kills me a little bit inside.

I'm probably getting the g900 when my wallet allows me to (or hoping for some sale in the meanwhile; ~$100 would be fine and I think that's what I paid for my Performance MX some years ago), but I'm hoping the G900 is what leads to better wireless mice in general with more options, eventually a better price point, and ideally soon. If something comparable comes up within the next year-ish with comparable performance I'll probably just wait.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 14:04:08 »
Went to Microcenter over the weekend to compare mice. The G900 was by far the least impressive for the price. $140? lol
It seemed to be on equal footing with mice priced at almost half that, unless you really wanna pay an extra $70 for wireless.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 14:05:41 by noisyturtle »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:58:31 »

This for me. Except, coming from a Performance MX, I'm in love with the hyper scroll wheel. Like I want to have little hyper scroll wheelettes with it. But Logitech going this whole gamer route with LEDs and that ugly ass mouse design. Kills me a little bit inside.

I'm probably getting the g900 when my wallet allows me to (or hoping for some sale in the meanwhile; ~$100 would be fine and I think that's what I paid for my Performance MX some years ago), but I'm hoping the G900 is what leads to better wireless mice in general with more options, eventually a better price point, and ideally soon. If something comparable comes up within the next year-ish with comparable performance I'll probably just wait.

I have it, and I like it.  The led is superflous with the placement- I don't even see it most of the time.  You can turn it off too.  I didn't like the shape originally, but after some time with it, it's grown on me.  The placement of the two buttons on the top annoys me, as does the battery life.  On full charge, it discharges *way* too fast.  But... my final verdict would be, if you can get it on sale, it's a nice mouse.  For the price... well, I'm glad I didn't pay that much.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 21:06:03 »
Went to Microcenter over the weekend to compare mice. The G900 was by far the least impressive for the price. $140? lol
It seemed to be on equal footing with mice priced at almost half that, unless you really wanna pay an extra $70 for wireless.

the performance is measurably and (to picky enough gamers, not super picky) noticeably better than any other wireless mouse, and even most wired mice. so it's sorta-justified. :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 09:51:22 »
So anyone got any extended use out of a g900??

It's on my potential new mouse list.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 11:36:54 »
So anyone got any extended use out of a g900??

It's on my potential new mouse list.

It's good, but not $150 good.  There's no latency that I can detect, and it's quite responsive.  The battery life on wireless is less than stellar, however, unless you disable the lighting (which is pretty useless), and then it becomes merely ok (this is coming from a g602, so don't know if there was any way it was going to get good marks from me).  And there's a cluster of buttons on the top that's better ignored, IMO.  I tried to use them, and it was an exercise in frustration, so I ignore the fact that they exist.  And I always use the wheel in clicky mode... the infinite scroll mode that I was looking forward to is like a wheel that's about to come off- very wobbly and it becomes hard to click.  It's also very narrow and light- both of which are actually turn offs for me, but some seem to prefer.  But, the shape has grown on me, and having to use "the claw" instead of resting my hand on it as I was accustomed with my g602.

TL;DR - It's a solid mouse; If you can grab it for $100, I'd recommend it.