Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4207060 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #29201 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 14:35:05 »
Why are USB volume knobs $20+

??  That's just insanity.
If it's a proper volume knob it needs a driver which has to be written and a motor to synchronise the knob if you use an on screen slider to adjust the volume, so more hardware components than you would think.  $20 isn't much really for a low volume (sales) product.

If it's just an endless rotary switch that sends "volume up/down" keypresses in a plastic case it is indeed insanity.

A rotary encoder in a nicely anodized case with a fancy matching knob is somewhere in the middle...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #29202 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 14:59:24 »
Why are USB volume knobs $20+

??  That's just insanity.

https://keyhive.xyz/shop/uno-single-key-keyboard

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29204 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 00:27:27 »
This pathetic mentality amongst 20 somethings where they hate their enrty-level job, so they just assum all work sucks and want to give up and be handed millions so they never have to work again.
Don't we all.
Your first job is SUPPOSED to suck, that's how you appreciate a good job when you get one. That's what motivates everyone else to get good at something.
And giving up on your dream before even attempting to pursue it, let alone before putting in your 10000 hours to actually get good at it, is ****ing pathetic. Like you've tried nothing, and you're all out of ideas.
Make a damn effort! At least TRY to get good at something that makes you happy. If you try and fail continuously after 5 years, then you have a right to start complaining about how working sucks.

I just cannot even wrap my mind around the mentality of not wanting to develop a skill in your life. To just be happy being a talentless leech with nothing to offer, and expect the World to just hand you a million dollars.

Now I am starting to understand the frustrations of middle age views on youth. Were we all this stupid, lazy, and apathetic when we were young?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29205 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 08:24:45 »

Your first job is SUPPOSED to suck

At least TRY to get good at something that makes you happy.

Were we all this stupid, lazy, and apathetic when we were young?

I agree that this is a recent phenomenon. Before "Greed is Good" became a socially acceptable (by at least some amoral sub-population) attitude, people did not even imagine sudden billionaires.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29206 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 10:05:04 »
Your first job is SUPPOSED to suck, that's how you appreciate a good job when you get one.
Now I am starting to understand the frustrations of middle age views on youth. Were we all this stupid, lazy, and apathetic when we were young?
I never had a dream so couldn't chase it, and having got a sucky first job with this mindset I never had the resources to get a better one.  Considering starting "career" 4 before I'm 40 but that means going back to minimum wage.

Stupid?  No.  Apathetic?  Yes.  Young?  No.  I'm not expecting anything and that's exactly what I'm going to get, maybe that's the only difference between me and "kids these days".
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29207 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 10:31:33 »
The RICH farms the poor.   

The problem is,  given internet and education (intentional or passive),  the poor becomes self-aware.

Now we've lost control.

In many cases, control is more important than net happiness.     You have to labor fields and absorb bodily damage to ultimately "EAT" the food that is grown.

When it comes to distribution of resources (wealth), the reality is,  the majority of humanity are raised in the manner of Drones, NOT full-fledged humans.

Republican states are so adamant about abortion, because they are very dependent on physical labor, as their state's net output may be mostly lower lvl tech and/or agricultural.

Even an unloved baby is a laborer if it survives, if they were never born, well, who will farm.

I don't like this system.  but with humans in charge, this is as good as it gets.

THE SOLUTION IS AI...

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #29208 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 11:28:18 »

Republican states are so adamant about abortion, because they are very dependent on physical labor, as their state's net output may be mostly lower lvl tech and/or agricultural.

Even an unloved baby is a laborer if it survives, if they were never born, well, who will farm.

[/size][/color]
Also indoctrination by the church.  Need to maintain as large of a following as possible.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29209 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 12:12:03 »

they are very dependent on physical labor

Need to maintain as large of a following as possible.

Neither of the above.

It is purely a wedge issue with the sole purpose of triggering single-issue voters. I know, I have a niece who is one of them.

How they got these people so intensely focused on codifying governmental sanctioning of such an obscure and deeply personal procedure is hard to understand.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29210 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 12:47:26 »
Also indoctrination by the church.  Need to maintain as large of a following as possible.

The Church is all about Money Laundering.  The flock is just camouflage.

Offline iri

« Reply #29211 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 04:31:02 »
I hate painting :'(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29212 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 10:33:35 »
Went to the hospital today to have my bandage contact lens removed.  Although it was definitely there yesterday (it moves and I had to reposition it so I could see...) apparently it was gone.  My eye is still not fully healed (after 3 ophthalmologists have told me it heals in 24-48 hours I'm not sure how?!) and today's said it's usually 3 months, with a new one every month so he's put in another one and called it good.  Had to go to a different waiting room (corridor...) so I guess this guy's better and the contact isn't too bad so I don't mind but the amount of conflicting advice is very annoying.

Also hoping I don't wake up with two lenses in my eye where the old one was hiding otherwise it's another series of phone calls and another two hours sitting in a crowded waiting room.  Assuming it doesn't happen on Saturday when they're closed...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29213 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 11:04:02 »

the amount of conflicting advice is very annoying.

My father was an "old-time" doctor and he always said that medicine is as much an art as it is a science.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29214 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 11:31:51 »
Also hoping I don't wake up with two lenses in my eye where the old one was hiding otherwise it's another series of phone calls and another two hours sitting in a crowded waiting room.  Assuming it doesn't happen on Saturday when they're closed...

Have you tried eating less salt. 

Tp4 used to eat so much salt, that he'd get eye pain...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29215 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 11:52:10 »
Have you tried eating less salt. 

Tp4 used to eat so much salt, that he'd get eye pain...
The only thing all five ophthalmologists have agreed on is that once an eye gets scratched it scratches more easily, and that's what's supposedly happening.  Unfortunately three of them also said that eyes heal in 24-48 hours but after four weeks wearing a contact which in theory prevents further damage my eye is still not healed so my levels of trust are diminishing.

A quick read suggests that too much salt can contribute to dry eyes though, so maybe you have a point?  They also say to eat lots of fish for omega 3, but fish aren't plants so that's not happening.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29216 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 12:29:30 »
My sister, the optician, insists that the 2 simple things that most people can do to improve eye health and comfort are to use sunglasses and eye drops regularly.

Always use "lubricating" eye drops and blink to keep the surfaces moist. As we get older our glands and ducts don't work as well as they used to.

At the store you will be irritated that lubricating eye drops cost triple what ordinary eye drops cost, but they are well worth it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29217 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 12:40:08 »
A quick read suggests that too much salt can contribute to dry eyes though, so maybe you have a point?  They also say to eat lots of fish for omega 3, but fish aren't plants so that's not happening.

The omega 3 from fish comes from seaweed that the little shrimp/fish eats then filter upwards.  The problem is this process also concentrates mercury and dioxins.

The salt thing, just give it a go, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Aim for <3 grams of salt per day. This is not sodium where you double it,  go less than 3 of actual salt.

Offline iri

« Reply #29218 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 05:06:25 »
Two years into the pandemic, after three jabs, I finally managed to get Covid. Right before my trip to Wales to see people whom I haven't seen in half a year.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29219 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 11:39:11 »
Two years into the pandemic, after three jabs, I finally managed to get Covid. Right before my trip to Wales to see people whom I haven't seen in half a year.
That is unlucky.  It wont be much consolation if you miss your trip but at least you might not have to stay home for 10 days like the unlucky folk who caught it early.

At the store you will be irritated that lubricating eye drops cost triple what ordinary eye drops cost, but they are well worth it.
They sell them randomly?  I have drops on prescription (pay a fixed amount, not always less than retail) so will have to look into this.  What's most telling is that my other eye has no problems so it's not old age, I've still not hit 40 so have all that fun to come.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29220 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 00:52:24 »
Violins..

It's such an insanely Anti-ergonomic instrument. Pure masochism.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29221 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 03:12:16 »
That is unlucky.  It wont be much consolation if you miss your trip but at least you might not have to stay home for 10 days like the unlucky folk who caught it early.

They sell them randomly?  I have drops on prescription (pay a fixed amount, not always less than retail) so will have to look into this.  What's most telling is that my other eye has no problems so it's not old age, I've still not hit 40 so have all that fun to come.

Jees, I forgot you guys down south have to pay for meds. Bummer.
But you kinda have better weather, I would swap for that :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline iri

« Reply #29222 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 03:58:05 »
Seriously, what's the point of peddling 'free at the point of delivery' when you have to pay £9 for every prescription medication? Instead of getting ventolin via the NHS, I bought some in Russia for £3 a piece.

****en England.

But yeah, the weather and the accents are much better than in Wales =)

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #29223 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 15:11:16 »
Currently - irritated that I can't find the user manual online for my Ducky DK9008G2-A (OCN Edition) board, as I would like to know what the different dip switch settings are and the FN+ ** menu is for shortcuts.  I don't know where all of the original caps are anymore since I swapped out to a SA set of Miami Nights for the board.  But I can say I enjoy the MX Blacks in it, even though they do need to be lubed - works as a good board for my work setup here in the office.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline iri

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29225 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 16:30:26 »
Sigh......  And they say social media isn't a problem, self regulate...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29226 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 17:29:40 »
Whatever "Social Media" is has always seemed to me like a good place for things such as cat pictures, but I just can't "get" the concept that people would use it for anything as serious as news and politics - since it is so obviously a cesspool of sensationalism, falsehood, and all forms of disinformation.

That said, it is even more incredulous that they would now waive regulations for partisan reasons so shortly after seemingly beginning to get out of politics.

Like the concept of separation of church and state, media outlets should only strive for the neutral truth. And there IS such a thing.

edit - just to be clear, I am saying that there is such a thing as "striving for the neutral truth" - "ultimate truth" will likely always be out of reach

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2022, 17:48:54 by fohat.digs »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29227 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 01:37:26 »
I suspect that in this case, it is about allowing people to vent expressions of fear and frustration more than anything else. When a good moderator sees that, he recognises it for what it is, but not all moderators are that experienced. When a forum is large enough, guidelines for moderating a phenomenon are necessary, if only to keep judgements consistent. Note that outright hate speech against civilians is still not allowed.

Offline iri

« Reply #29228 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 03:11:16 »
Praising nazis is perfectly fine though.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #29229 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 07:01:34 »
This pathetic mentality amongst 20 somethings where they hate their enrty-level job, so they just assum all work sucks and want to give up and be handed millions so they never have to work again.
Don't we all.
Your first job is SUPPOSED to suck, that's how you appreciate a good job when you get one. That's what motivates everyone else to get good at something.
And giving up on your dream before even attempting to pursue it, let alone before putting in your 10000 hours to actually get good at it, is ****ing pathetic. Like you've tried nothing, and you're all out of ideas.
Make a damn effort! At least TRY to get good at something that makes you happy. If you try and fail continuously after 5 years, then you have a right to start complaining about how working sucks.

I just cannot even wrap my mind around the mentality of not wanting to develop a skill in your life. To just be happy being a talentless leech with nothing to offer, and expect the World to just hand you a million dollars.

My 1st proper job was a job i loved, just got tainted by a sexist anti male manager that tried and nearly succeeded in making me kill myself, now i am completely unable to imagine keeping a long job and starts to panic at the thought of going near that place, but then i rarely complain about any jobs so i feel this is not really addressed to me. although i do understand peoples who stop working, it cost me more to work (mostly trough fuel cost) than to stay at home getting government help, so why bother? (well i bother for mental health and all but peoples without my problems could just not bother and live happy for a few years)

THE SOLUTION IS AI...
if AI is not programmed by a big company, else it will make everything much worse...

Sigh......  And they say social media isn't a problem, self regulate...
and that is complicated, social media isn't the problem per say, the company behind them and the way they manipulate information on them to maximize profit is... find an open and free social media platform and it should be able to self moderate a fair bit, reddit and old school forums like this one a fairly decent example of this working decently.

and what bothers me it to have managed to crash my favorite car and fallen back into depression the same week, and so my thought do end up often go to wish i had not survived that crash... was not going nearly fast enough for it to have been dangerous for me though, hate my broken self sometimes.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline ThoughtArtist

Offline wayneoo12

« Reply #29232 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 00:35:40 »
For the last 2 months, I was in depression, I also tried to overcome but it didn't work. but after appearing to a therapist, I feel better that's was the reason I was inactive for the last 2months.

I am enjoying staying with a therapist and listening to other people. today i felt that i should come here and share it with you too. actually, we spend most of our time with each other. i don't know what it is, but i am loving this flow
I love to get products at a lesser delivery price from Upsers.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29233 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 00:55:29 »
not one single family or friend bothered to call me on my birthday. not even my own mom and dad.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29235 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 01:01:43 »
not one single family or friend bothered to call me on my birthday. not even my own mom and dad.

Show Image

thanks man, that onion cat reminds me of one of my fav videos that always cheers me up.

Here it is if anyone else needs cheering up too:

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #29236 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 02:51:35 »
Welcome to adulthood.

Offline iri

« Reply #29237 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 04:40:11 »
My parents do call me on my birthdays though.

T. an adult

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29238 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 04:48:28 »

Hey, Happy Birthday Noisy!

Gimme me your number, I'll phone you next year :D

Don't worry, nobody phones me on my birthday either. I know it makes you feel sad, but to be honest, it doesn't mean anything about yourself, its all them.
I had my birthday last Sunday, it was pretty normal day, nothing special.

I know amny people who do not care about birthdays - I personally think that we all should take it more seriopusly, I mean really be happy on that day, treat yourself, we all should feel special on our birthdays.
Well, need to wait another year to maybe tehn make it special  :'(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline yui

« Reply #29239 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 14:03:37 »
happy birthday,
i kinda understand both side, i am one of those peoples who can't remember birthdays, not even mine, or any dates for that matter, but when i was younger it kinda annoyed me too.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #29240 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 14:12:02 »
Well how serious are we getting here?
Because I guess blender is bothering me rn, along with not being able to find references for art, but if we're getting serious my dog is going to die soon and I recently had to cut off someone I know from my life because they're a horrible person.
So yeah, how serious are we getting?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29241 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 16:23:32 »

my dog is going to die soon and I recently had to cut off someone I know from my life because they're a horrible person.

Those are genuinely bothersome occurrences.

I am bothered because Putin is ****ing up the whole world just because he got a sad over Ukraine wanting to be part of modern society.

Offline iri

« Reply #29242 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 05:18:45 »
I am bothered because I just read something really dumb on the Internet.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29243 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 06:09:02 »
People suck.  Hopefully you found something to do last night to raise your spirits.

I know amny people who do not care about birthdays - I personally think that we all should take it more seriopusly, I mean really be happy on that day, treat yourself, we all should feel special on our birthdays.
Well, need to wait another year to maybe tehn make it special  :'(
I've said "next year" for the past five years, always seems like a good idea after the event and through summer but between Christmas and April when I need to think about it I'm never in a good place and this year is no different.

I am bothered because I just read something really dumb on the Internet.
There's a lot of dumb things on the internet, might be best to avoid it if you let it get to you ;)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #29244 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 06:54:39 »
That was on GH and it's the only forum I ever visit

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29245 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 08:13:51 »

a lot of dumb things on the internet, might be best to avoid it

He was offended when I disparaged Putin's motives.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #29246 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 12:12:44 »
I’m gonna be so tired when I come back home tomorrow

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #29247 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 14:55:40 »

a lot of dumb things on the internet, might be best to avoid it

He was offended when I disparaged Putin's motives.
I would never have guessed the guy with the Russian flag Nyan cat would get offended when you insult their psychotic dictator.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline iri

« Reply #29248 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 15:20:28 »
Since there's more dumb things now, is this the moment I'm supposed to call Samaritans?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #29249 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 15:39:09 »
Since there's more dumb things now, is this the moment I'm supposed to call Samaritans?
Have you tried turning off the computer? Not to be an ******* but people can have opinions on things that don't agree with yours, and sadly we have to tolerate the opinions of others.