Author Topic: Getting the most out of my HERO sensor?  (Read 19762 times)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Getting the most out of my HERO sensor?
« on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 11:53:17 »
Alright I'm going to preface this with I don't know much about mice other than those I like and those I don't.
I found out they remade the MX518 which always was great in my hand, so I went ahead and purchased it because I stupidly gave away the old one years ago to try something new. This was a few years ago and I was a rather impulsive youngin' :D
I read a bit about the new G MX518 Legendary having the HERO sensor and here's where I have a question or two.
I also never really paid much attention to my sensitivity, should I? - I just keep tweaking until I like it, but as far as sticking with one thing, never done it.
I play when I can but life often gets in the way, when I do play though it's mostly FPS. I play in 1080p@120hz.
I don't play CS:GO - I do play games like The Division, DOOM and other games that intrigue me.
How do I get the most out of my HERO sensor DPI-wise, what is recommended for 1080p?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Getting the most out of my HERO sensor?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 09:43:07 »
Older mice, mx518, g400 era, had some bad behaviors at higher dpi, because they didn't have the right internal processing to adjust sensor noise to combat jitter.

Newer sensors and processors have this function, so you can now freely choose different dpi.

That doesn't meat all dpi settings work evenly well. The 3366 sensors for example, are quite good, but @ ~4000+ dpi, they feel uncontrollable. This isn't to say that it's not precise, just the way its tuned.

Whereas the hero sensor feels fine at 4000+, you still feel like you're in control.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 11:21:23 »
Older mice, mx518, g400 era, had some bad behaviors at higher dpi, because they didn't have the right internal processing to adjust sensor noise to combat jitter.

Newer sensors and processors have this function, so you can now freely choose different dpi.

That doesn't meat all dpi settings work evenly well. The 3366 sensors for example, are quite good, but @ ~4000+ dpi, they feel uncontrollable. This isn't to say that it's not precise, just the way its tuned.

Whereas the hero sensor feels fine at 4000+, you still feel like you're in control.

Thank you TP. I was kind of hoping you'd reply. :)
I don't plan on running it at the 16k dpi it's capable of but I'll try 4k.

Offline M3SS3NG3R

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 17:35:53 »
You should start by caring absolutely NOTHING about sensor DPI setting and more about what feels good. DPI in the context of mouse sensor translates to how fast the cursor moves corresponding to a set amount of physical movement by the mouse. A high DPI setting just means your cursor now moves very fast and chances are you won't be able to hit anything at all at 16000 dpi. In some very rare cases some sensors behave slightly worse at DPI settings that aren't native, however most modern sensors don't have bad dpi settings as a possible step. If you look at what professional players do they very often play with low mouse DPI settings (ie: 400 or 800) so quite frankly stop worrying about what your DPI is. Worry more about your windows pointer speed setting (eg: 6/11, turn off enhanced pointer precision) and in game sensitivity.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2019, 18:15:18 by M3SS3NG3R »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 02:00:31 »
You should start by caring absolutely NOTHING about sensor DPI setting and more about what feels good. DPI in the context of mouse sensor translates to how fast the cursor moves corresponding to a set amount of physical movement by the mouse. A high DPI setting just means your cursor now moves very fast and chances are you won't be able to hit anything at all at 16000 dpi. In some very rare cases some sensors behave slightly worse at DPI settings that aren't native, however most modern sensors don't have bad dpi settings as a possible step. If you look at what professional players do they very often play with low mouse DPI settings (ie: 400 or 800) so quite frankly stop worrying about what your DPI is. Worry more about your windows pointer speed setting (eg: 6/11, turn off enhanced pointer precision) and in game sensitivity.
The mouse precision feels really good. I haven't messed with settings yet.
I am more of a casual than a pro player so I won't be trying to recreate their settings.
Overall the mouse feels amazing to use.