Author Topic: G9 LED Bulbs - do they burn / melt?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
G9 LED Bulbs - do they burn / melt?
« on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 18:21:55 »
I just had 2 G9 LED Bulbs burnt and melted - it happened pretty quickly, one after another, 2 of out 5 bulbs in ceiling light made loud pop noise, couple leds inside burnt to black and melted plastic cover. Scary, as I thought these are safer than any standard bulbs. These had around 5 years, in case its just a matter of time?
Is this normal, possible behaviour? I cannot find anything about those going up with smoke...

295240-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 January 2023, 18:25:50 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: G9 LED Bulbs - do they burn / melt?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 18:28:03 »
so.. the situation is, alot of these ledchips are actually defective, but they package them anyway because no one checks.

this happens in alot of the cheaper led products.   if you look at those led floodlights under the microscope not all the leds even light up, but  because it's  a flood light, you can't tell.

it could also be bad drivers, or errant surges on your house circuit, low cost drivers are more sensitive to that.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 18:35:04 »
so.. the situation is, alot of these ledchips are actually defective, but they package them anyway because no one checks.

this happens in alot of the cheaper led products.   if you look at those led floodlights under the microscope not all the leds even light up, but  because it's  a flood light, you can't tell.

it could also be bad drivers, or errant surges on your house circuit, low cost drivers are more sensitive to that.

I never had issues with lights in a house. I swapped all lighting to G9 leds about 5 years ago and these two are first to be burnt. Few have stopped working in the past, but never burnt, or melted.

tp, do you ever sleep? :)
You are always first to respond on our forum :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 18:41:40 »
I never had issues with lights in a house. I swapped all lighting to G9 leds about 5 years ago and these two are first to be burnt. Few have stopped working in the past, but never burnt, or melted.

tp, do you ever sleep? :)
You are always first to respond on our forum :D

tp4 doing dat' biphasic sleep.  tp4 is always watching.

also don't want to sleep too much , we all die in 20yrs in the famine.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 13:42:49 »
I get about two years out of an LED bulb.  I got two years out of a CFL bulb.  I got about two years out of an incandescent bulb.  I get about three years out of a flourescent, probably because they're not in places where they get a lot of use.

The Phoebus Cartel shut down in 1939.  Supposedly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

The CFLs generally went with smoke, and a couple of times with enough heat to melt the styrofoam ceiling tiles above them.  The LEDs usually just smell bad and quit.  In both cases, the power supply is the apparent failure.  I've harvested a modest collection of mounted LEDs from dead bulbs, which will probably sit in my project box forever.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 03:23:30 »
I get about two years out of an LED bulb.  I got two years out of a CFL bulb.  I got about two years out of an incandescent bulb.  I get about three years out of a flourescent, probably because they're not in places where they get a lot of use.

The Phoebus Cartel shut down in 1939.  Supposedly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

The CFLs generally went with smoke, and a couple of times with enough heat to melt the styrofoam ceiling tiles above them.  The LEDs usually just smell bad and quit.  In both cases, the power supply is the apparent failure.  I've harvested a modest collection of mounted LEDs from dead bulbs, which will probably sit in my project box forever.

This is very interesting, never heard of that Phoebus cartel.