Author Topic: I have a serious problem  (Read 2163 times)

Offline alosec

I have a serious problem
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 00:41:26 »
I game with my keyboard turned diagonally so that the right side of the board is near the bottom of the mousepad. This is sub-optimal for typing. How do I find a balance between both without having to pick up my keyboard each time I want to type?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: I have a serious problem
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 00:44:06 »
Put it on a lazy susan.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 00:55:40 »
Get a swivel chair?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:33:37 »
You need to get a Burt Barachnoid cyst.

You know that thing where you have a midget in a briefcase on retractable wheels carry a tiny portable workstation made of balsa wood and kalamata olives, that turns to face the sound recordings of panda bears making love under a cherry jello waterfall?
31618-0

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:02:40 »
You know what you need?

Another keyboard.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:04:07 »
You know what you need?

Another keyboard.

^ Gotta go with this suggestion.

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:05:41 »
You know what you need?

Another keyboard.

^ Gotta go with this suggestion.
which is implied in every post in geekhack.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:43:48 »
Dude, Ergodox... you can spin the right and left side any way you likely..

.................... COMFORT...........

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 04:16:33 »
I do the same thing. In the competitive gaming scene for FPS , a lot of people do this. I think part of it is that in those games, most people use something like teamspeak to communicate. But I also play a lot of games where I type quite a lot , be it ingame with friends or with other people while gaming. One example is DOTA. In those cases, I just set up my keyboard a little differently. As long as I can put my fingers on the homerow I can type comfortably, even when the keyboard is at an angle.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 04:24:31 »
I do the same thing. In the competitive gaming scene for FPS , a lot of people do this. I think part of it is that in those games, most people use something like teamspeak to communicate. But I also play a lot of games where I type quite a lot , be it ingame with friends or with other people while gaming. One example is DOTA. In those cases, I just set up my keyboard a little differently. As long as I can put my fingers on the homerow I can type comfortably, even when the keyboard is at an angle.
Putting the keyboard at an angle is typically done in the FPS scene because it is more comfortable and easier to reach Ctrl while leaving your fingers on WASD.  Try it.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 04:29:58 »
gradually decrease your angle over time?
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:48:02 »
Putting the keyboard at an angle is typically done in the FPS scene because it is more comfortable and easier to reach Ctrl while leaving your fingers on WASD.  Try it.

This is one of the big reasons I remap caps lock to control. Hitting control with your left pinky where it normally is located is just...painful.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:24:04 »

This is one of the big reasons I remap caps lock to control. Hitting control with your left pinky where it normally is located is just...painful.
Yeah unfortunately this isn't an option at most LAN's.  Usually you can't even edit the drivers for your mouse/keyboard.  Unless you have it hardware mapped most pro's are stuck!

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:50:00 »
Fps's aren't chat rooms.
Looking for CC's!

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:52:34 »
Fps's aren't chat rooms.

Exactly. I tilt my board when gaming as well. A slight angle is more ergonomic for me when gaming. Just turn the keyboard back when you're done and want to type again.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 15:15:40 »
I have a serious [first world] problem.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013