Author Topic: Will Hipsters Discover/Ruin/Improve Mechanical Keyboards?  (Read 9361 times)

Offline Altis

Will Hipsters Discover/Ruin/Improve Mechanical Keyboards?
« on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:29:38 »
I was talking with some people about hipsters (meaning young, mainstream, urbanites, of a particular brand) and it occurred to me that hipsters could find their way to mechanical keyboards because MKs are:

- Vintage/Retro
- Highly customizable (and colourful)
- Serve a purpose
- Fits in with hipster-nerd culture which they're moved into

They fit the bill perfectly. They could make them all customized and yammer on about being one with the internet (as they do about fixie bikes with no brakes, film cameras they don't know how to use, etc).

I couldn't help but wonder then, will mechanical keyboards catch on with hipsters?

While it makes perfect sense and seems ideal, hipsters seem hesitant to take on things that aren't already trendy. They're expensive, though that doesn't seem to matter as most hipsters are actually fairly well off (a la MacBook).

What would happen if there was suddenly a large demand for customized keyboards? Would the demand increase our options and availability with the market? Or would it just get flooded with low-quality stuff as their standards would be lower.

Would it change the way you feel about this hobby? I know many people who are into more obscure niches (let's face it, most people have no idea you can be a "keyboard enthusiast") prefer that they remain low-key enough that it's genuine enthusiasts involved. It also lets the hobby be rather unique, and if it suddenly becomes super popular, there's no distinguishing the founders from the followers, making it seem less special.

What are your thoughts? I know some people will think this is strange and they just want to enjoy some typing, but I know many of you have spent enough time and money to know what I'm talking about (not to mention those with post counts in the thousands or north of 10k!).

Personally, I'd rather it remain fairly niche.

PS Nothing against hipsters in particular, but I've seen that type of thing take away from other hobbies. For example, one of my 4 bicycles is a training bike with fixed gear (ie fixie). I've had it for ages, but now that it's a hipster icon, that's all people assume when they see it or find out I have one, when really it's used for muscle training. Even less experienced riders who aren't aware of the training benefits assume that if you have a fixie, you aren't a serious rider now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:51:00 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: Will Hipsters Discover/Ruin Mechanical Keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:31:00 »
Dude, we're all computer hipsters. All those IBM collectors? Hipsters.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:32:56 »

Can confirm,

Source: hipster
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:33:28 »
Complains about hipsters, wants hobby to remain underground and not become mainstream.

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:35:20 by nubbinator »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:34:28 »
lol
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:35:14 »
caring about what other people think is so 2k14

fixies are badass btw
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:35:36 »

Can confirm,

I'm using this to post on GH  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:35:42 »
Nubb we're in the clear. We did it before it was cool.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:36:22 »
caring about what other people think is so 2k14

fixies are badass btw

fixies are love. fixies are life

Offline tbc

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:36:47 »

Can confirm,

I'm using this to post on GH  :thumb:

Show Image

jeez

take a shower already you dirty hipster

:P

i hate you
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:36:54 »

Phew, I thought my ironic nose ring and unabashed love for saying "I don't have a TV" even though I watch Netflix would lump me in with them, but I'm safe.

Also, ****, I hit quad 6s and missed the screen shot.  :(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:38:15 »

Phew, I thought my ironic nose ring and unabashed love for saying "I don't have a TV" even though I watch Netflix would lump me in with them, but I'm safe.

Also, ****, I hit quad 6s and missed the screen shot.  :(

:'(
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline intelli78

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:39:10 »
Haha yep... that would be all of us.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:39:18 »
It is already happening!

Also I don't understand why you have a problem with your bike now. Just ride and don't care - as long as you don't only drive 2km without helmet to school or work :)

Hipster is new term for fashion, so this will change all the time.
... ...

Offline Altis

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:39:47 »
Complains about hipsters, wants hobby to remain underground and not become mainstream.

[img]http://rs1img.memecdn.com/lol-wut---kim-jong-un-edition_o_1616433.jpg[img]

Yes, but hipsters are the kind of people who need everyone to witness their endeavors. Bringing a large typewriter to a lecture class comes to mind.

MK is the kind of thing I don't even tell people about because it's actually kind of weird to a lot of people.

Being an enthusiast in a niche or vintage hobby does not a hipster make. Look at all the photography enthusiasts with vintage lenses and gear... they don't make a point of letting everyone else know about it, and they actually know a great deal of information about the stuff.

Not even close to the same thing.

Hipsters would buy their mechanical keyboards pre-customized from Urban Outfitters, as they do with bikes, film cameras, and vinyl audio. These are not enthusiasts.

It is already happening!

Also I don't understand why you have a problem with your bike now. Just ride and don't care - as long as you don't only drive 2km without helmet to school or work :)

Hipster is new term for fashion, so this will change all the time.

Hipster is more of a term for poser. Someone who wants everyone to see how unique they are, in the same way as everyone else, while not bothering to learn anything about their "fashion".
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:42:08 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:40:21 »
I've actually  been called a keyboard hipster at work due to my love of vintage boards

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:41:19 »
Considering how popular clicky switches and loud key cap sets are, I fail to see a distinction in your argument.

Offline Altis

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:48:43 »
Where you're mistaking enthusiast/geek for hipster is that there is nothing even remotely trendy or fashionable about computer keyboards.

Nobody really knows about them, or cares, even the IT people I deal with all over. That defeats something from being hipster and just makes it obscure.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:53:18 »
I hear you talking, but I still hear hipster.  Everyone always talks about hipsters in terms of irony and obscurity.  It's not about being trendy and hipsters often eschew something after it becomes hip. 

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:54:04 »
We are keyboard hipsters :/

Offline tbc

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:54:20 »
Considering how popular clicky switches and loud key cap sets are, I fail to see a distinction in your argument.

what is a loud keycap set?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:54:57 »
Where you're mistaking enthusiast/geek for hipster is that there is nothing even remotely trendy or fashionable about computer keyboards.

Nobody really knows about them, or cares, even the IT people I deal with all over. That defeats something from being hipster and just makes it obscure.

Are you kidding me? I post my keyboards on facebook, reddit, geekhack... everyone loves it!

People are always curious and wanting to find out more about it, and I'm always happy to educate :thumb:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:56:19 »
Not true.. Tp4 not hipster..

Tp4 uses his ergodox... no non-utilized collection of any sort.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 23:56:56 »

what is a loud keycap set?

Toxic is, for example.  I'm using the definition of loud that means flashy, almost vulgar.

Offline Altis

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 00:21:43 »

Are you kidding me? I post my keyboards on facebook, reddit, geekhack... everyone loves it!

People are always curious and wanting to find out more about it, and I'm always happy to educate :thumb:

Your experiences differ from mine. Perhaps people you know share some interest in it, which is great! I'm surrounded by tech culture and almost none of them are even remotely interested when I show them / talk about keyboards.

I hear you talking, but I still hear hipster.  Everyone always talks about hipsters in terms of irony and obscurity.  It's not about being trendy and hipsters often eschew something after it becomes hip. 

It is precisely about being trendy and fashionable. You're implying there's something hip about mechanical keyboards. I don't think it's a huge hit outside our community!  :cool:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 02:16:25 »
Grandad what's a hipster and how could there enjoyment of keyboards ruin my own ?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 02:23:51 »
I am the biggest ****ing hipster and that's why I'm here. Not the fake ass type who wear fake glasses and sit at Starbucks with a Macbook and get attention in media, I mean a true hipster at heart. Or maybe I just like weird **** who knows.
I love Elzy

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:07:35 »
How else you explain 40% layouts?  60% too mainstream.

The only contradiction is that hipsters are usually broke.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:29:45 »
Nah, man, layouts over 100% and wide bezels are the new hipster in keyboards. Tiny layouts are the mainstream. Look at customs. 40%, 60%, TKL, TK, etc. The only 100% custom I can think of is GON's. Everyone wants fewer keys and tiny bezels and the smallest keyboard physically possible, so the non-mainstream hipster choice is full-size or bigger with big bezels.  :p
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:37:11 »
60% is now too mainstream in the keyboard hipster world, 120% user is the true hipster, like hipster's hipster.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:43:00 »
käften
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 04:50:56 »
my thoughts:
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:20:40 »
"I have nothing against hipsters, really, truly... but I'll be goddamned if they get their macchiato-holding paws on my precious keyboards."

Things can feel less special I suppose when too many people know about them, but hipsters aren't mainstream or the majority of people. Using film cameras didn't suddenly become unfun to use because of Lomography.com (quite the opposite).

What would happen if there was suddenly a large demand for customized keyboards? Would the demand increase our options and availability with the market? Or would it just get flooded with low-quality stuff as their standards would be lower.

Why do you assume the standards would be lower? Typically they're the ones in the market for good quality products, especially of the limited variety, hard to find, or vintage. Gamers are more of that market than hipsters.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:27:20 by Coreda »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:31:54 »
I wouldn't mind it. It would get more people into the hobby. Sure, some would do it just to be "hip", but it would expand the market out and we could get some new cool products from it. I'm sure it would eventually die down and the real enthusiast would stay back.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:37:33 »
Reading this thread; hipsters are young people who follow fashion??

So whats wrong with that again?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:49:32 »
I was talking with some people about hipsters
Note, when you lead off any conversation with this line, that probably means you’re a “hipster”. “Young, mainstream, urbanites, of a particular brand”† is not nearly as close a predictor for who can be classified as “hipster” in my experience as “people who talk about hipsters”.

I’m sure you’ve figured out from the other responses here that the majority of geekhack is hipsters already. I think you are using the wrong word for the concept you’re describing. The word you’re looking for is poseurs, not hipsters. I know the way language works, we tend to take words which originally have some specific denotative meaning, and because we have strong feelings about some group or concept associated to that word, we then morph the word usage into a purely generic “thing I don’t like” connotative use. There’s even a term for this, pejoration (Steven Pinker calls it the “euphemism treadmill”). But resist the urge, Altis. It cheapens and degrades the language, and takes useful words away from us without usefully replacing them.

† I know old hipsters, countercultural hipsters, suburban hipsters, poor hipsters, etc. Likewise, I know many young, mainstream urbanites with various values and styles who are most certainly not hipsters. And what’s a “particular brand”? Does that just mean “has a personal style”?
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:12:03 by jacobolus »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 05:59:49 »
Is 'urbanites' the new word for 'townie'??

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:02:58 »
In b4 jwaz. :P

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:14:17 »
No. “Townie” refers specifically to young (as in, 15–25ish years old) local residents in university towns, who had/have a mutually antagonistic relationship with students. “Urbanites” just generically means “people who live in the city”. (Also, “urbanites” is a stupendously stupid word.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:18:38 by jacobolus »

Offline mecano

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:15:21 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:19:26 »

I’m sure you’ve figured out from the other responses here that the majority of geekhack is hipsters already. I think you are using the wrong word for the concept you’re describing. The word you’re looking for is poseurs, not hipsters. I know the way language works, we tend to take words which originally have some specific denotative meaning, and because we have strong feelings about some group or concept associated to that word, we then morph the word usage into a purely generic “thing I don’t like” connotative use. There’s even a term for this, pejoration (Steven Pinker calls it the “euphemism treadmill”). But resist the urge, Altis. It cheapens and degrades the language, and takes useful words away from us without usefully replacing them.

From all the personal photos I've seen so far, I wouldn't say that GH has a high hipster population.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:21:50 »
No. �Townie� refers specifically to young (as in, 15�25ish years old) local residents in university towns, who had/have a mutually antagonistic relationship with students. �Urbanites� just generically means �people who live in the city�. (Also, �urbanites� is a stupendously stupid word.)

As a kid of the midlands (YES MATE) anyone from a town or city is generally considered a townie, be they young or old... anti student or a student themselves... and yes 'urbanites' is the dumbest sounding **** I've come across... especially from people condemning 'hipsters' lol

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:29:42 »
As a kid of the midlands (YES MATE) anyone from a town or city is generally considered a townie, be they young or old... anti student or a student themselves...
Yeah, people in modern England constantly redefine useful words into meaning something totally generic and pointless. :P

As far as I know, the definition I mentioned before has been the dominant sense of the word “townie” since at least the early 19th century, a shortened form of “townsman”. The idea is, in the middle ages, there were “townsmen” who lived permanently in towns, and then there were lots of other people who passed through or stayed temporarily. In particular, in university towns, the students came from all over, and were of generally higher social status and had special privileges compared to people who had grown up locally, causing resentment and rivalry.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:35:29 by jacobolus »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:32:52 »
As a kid of the midlands (YES MATE) anyone from a town or city is generally considered a townie, be they young or old... anti student or a student themselves...
Yeah, people in modern England constantly redefine useful words into meaning something totally generic and pointless. :P

As far as I know, the definition I mentioned before has been the dominant sense of the word �townie� since at least the early 19th century, a shortened form of �townsman�.

aye duck

Offline mecano

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:37:27 »

As far as I know, the definition I mentioned before has been the dominant sense of the word �townie� since at least the early 19th century, a shortened form of �townsman�.

aye duck

Ah Ah! Caught in the act of trying to redefine the word 'duck'!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 06:42:00 »
As far as I know, the definition I mentioned before has been the dominant sense of the word “townie” since at least the early 19th century, a shortened form of “townsman”. The idea is...

I swear all your posts read like they were looked up on Wikipedia the minute before posting  ^-^

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:10:01 »
As far as I know, the definition I mentioned before has been the dominant sense of the word “townie” since at least the early 19th century, a shortened form of “townsman”. The idea is...

I swear all your posts read like they were looked up on Wikipedia the minute before posting  ^-^
aa
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:13:11 »
i want/wish to be able to stab/shoot people (men/women) over the internet/www.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:14:13 »
i want/wish to be able to stab/shoot people (men/women) over the internet/www.
thats not very ****ing nice of you, ruski
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline iri

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:23:46 »
go love yourself, annoying blandinavian manlarva.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:39:23 »
Who do you think writes Wikipedia? ;)

But anyway, “townie” isn’t exactly an obscure concept. It comes up all the time if you read anything about the history of universities, or just about European political/economic history generally. (Or for that matter, it was a big deal in US university towns as well (like, say, Cambridge, MA or Berkeley, CA), though moreso in my parents generation and before than in my generation.) I grew up in a college town, went to college in a college town (duh), and this is basically the standard usage in the US.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:49:12 by jacobolus »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:41:19 »
:mindblown:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:41:40 »

Hipsters.

;)

Offline dante

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:46:19 »
If hipsters want to come in and bury their CC for the sake of showing off on Rededit - then let them I say.  Sure helps with meeting MOQ numbers! :D

Offline Altis

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:51:19 »
"I have nothing against hipsters, really, truly... but I'll be goddamned if they get their macchiato-holding paws on my precious keyboards."

Things can feel less special I suppose when too many people know about them, but hipsters aren't mainstream or the majority of people. Using film cameras didn't suddenly become unfun to use because of Lomography.com (quite the opposite).

Why do you assume the standards would be lower? Typically they're the ones in the market for good quality products, especially of the limited variety, hard to find, or vintage. Gamers are more of that market than hipsters.

It wouldn't necessarily, but that's what happened with 'fixies'. The prices also went up significantly while the overall quality went down.

No. �Townie� refers specifically to young (as in, 15�25ish years old) local residents in university towns, who had/have a mutually antagonistic relationship with students. �Urbanites� just generically means �people who live in the city�. (Also, �urbanites� is a stupendously stupid word.)

As a kid of the midlands (YES MATE) anyone from a town or city is generally considered a townie, be they young or old... anti student or a student themselves... and yes 'urbanites' is the dumbest sounding **** I've come across... especially from people condemning 'hipsters' lol

You act like I made it up. In Canada, nobody ever uses the term "townie", whereas "urbanite" is pretty common. I didn't make it up myself, but you understood it regardless. Not everyone uses the same terminology as the midlands.

I was talking with some people about hipsters
Note, when you lead off any conversation with this line, that probably means you’re a “hipster”. “Young, mainstream, urbanites, of a particular brand”† is not nearly as close a predictor for who can be classified as “hipster” in my experience as “people who talk about hipsters”.

† I know old hipsters, countercultural hipsters, suburban hipsters, poor hipsters, etc. Likewise, I know many young, mainstream urbanites with various values and styles who are most certainly not hipsters. And what’s a “particular brand”? Does that just mean “has a personal style”?

It came up as there were two people using typewriters at Bridgehead (coffee) near U of O campus. Discussing something you witness doesn't suddenly make you fall within the definition of it.

Hipsters, in Canada anyways, refers to people who are super trendy and fashionable but are effectively 'poseurs' in their temporary hobbies. For instance, my sister bought a vintage Minolta film camera because it looked hip and trendy... she took two rolls of shots that were all completely black (underexposed) and hasn't touched it since. It was simply the fashion that made her get it, not an interest in it. That's what people, around Ottawa anyways, refer to as "hipsters". They differ greatly from enthusiasts of vintage or unique hobbies. It's more about being seen doing/using something rather than the experience. Hence, our hipsters at Bridgehead (because Starbucks is mainstream) using loud typewriters; it's about being out making a statement.

We are keyboard hipsters :/

I'm not sure there is such a thing since keyboards are not even remotely trendy or fashionable, even within geek/computer communities. As far as hobbies go, it's as isolated as it gets, making it an enthusiast thing.

I'm pretty doubtful that anyone is into computer keyboards as a hobby for their image rather than genuine interest.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:57:51 by Altis »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:09:46 »
Hipsters, in Canada anyways, refers to people who are super trendy and fashionable but are effectively 'poseurs' in their temporary hobbies. For instance, my sister bought a vintage Minolta film camera because it looked hip and trendy... she took two rolls of shots that were all completely black (underexposed) and hasn't touched it since. It was simply the fashion that made her get it, not an interest in it. That's what people, around Ottawa anyways, refer to as "hipsters". They differ greatly from enthusiasts of vintage or unique hobbies. It's more about being seen doing/using something rather than the experience. Hence, our hipsters at Bridgehead (because Starbucks is mainstream) using loud typewriters; it's about being out making a statement.
I don’t think your preferred usage of the term “hipsters” is very valuable as a concept, that’s all. I agree it’s becoming one of several not-quite-commensurate definitions in common use.

Most of the people you’re labeling hipsters aren’t going to call themselves hipsters (though some might ironically), and most of the point of the label seems to be to group and sneer at a fairly diverse set of people, based more on the speaker’s feelings of superiority than any particular real trait of the people being labeled.

What’s wrong with trying out a film camera because your friends were excited about it? If someone sees a bunch of pictures on Reddit, buys an Ergodox and puts it together, and doesn’t keep using it, is that person a “hipster”?
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:18:15 by jacobolus »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:16:42 »
Not everyone uses the same terminology as the midlands.

And the world is worse for it...

But this thread is pretty stupid, you should care less about the opinions of those you don't know.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:20:55 »
Enthusiasts / hobbyists are passionate in a focused, tunnel-vision sort of way (not to say that you can't have multiple hobbies) and expend their energies toward a sort of abstract self-satisfaction. They generally don't care so much about the opinions of the general population.

My impression of people who are characterized as "hipsters" is that they are all about posture and appearance.

"Looking cool" and/or "acting cool" are only tangentially related (if that) to actually "being cool" .....

"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline mecano

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:46:31 »
But this thread is pretty stupid, you should care less about the opinions of those you don't know.

This sounds like apologies, good :)

Enthusiasts / hobbyists are passionate in a focused, tunnel-vision sort of way (not to say that you can't have multiple hobbies) and expend their energies toward a sort of abstract self-satisfaction.

This sounds like Timothy Leary, which is even better.
This thread is getting better post after post, now if iri could stop being drunk, it'll be perfect, almost hipster harmony.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:49:06 »
I apologies for nothing, bloody townies...

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:19:26 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Altis

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:29:26 »
Not everyone uses the same terminology as the midlands.

And the world is worse for it...

I'm more interested in how it could change things. Like I said, demand, availability, quality. That was the main idea here.

I apologies for nothing, bloody townies...

Spell 'apologize' properly when criticizing others use of language. :cool: 'bloody' doesn't work there, unless you mean 'townies' that are physically bloody. :rolleyes:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:37:49 »
...wut... I wasn't criticising others for use of language, just asking what a word meant and if it was similar to a word I knew... though not sure why should I add a Z to the spelling?

and bloody in that context, makes perfect sense...

*pulls up trousers*

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:39:01 »
Hipsters are people brimming with deep seated insecurities with regard to social standing.

There's the counter hipsters like many of you who are equally insecure but may lack the financial backing to even indulge in buying your way to -mock cool-

Neither are bad people, they're just at different places in life

Offline Altis

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:48:36 »
...wut... I wasn't criticising others for use of language, just asking what a word meant and if it was similar to a word I knew... though not sure why should I add a Z to the spelling?

and bloody in that context, makes perfect sense...

*pulls up trousers*

My mistake! It was someone else who was on about the incorrect use of terms.

But "trousers"? Now you're just making up words..!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:50:02 »
I don't care who shows up if they are bringing in more buying power for making groupbuy MOQs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:55:06 »
I don't care who shows up if they are bringing in more buying power for making groupbuy MOQs.

^^^

And this thread still cracks me up.  Complaining about hipsters coming in and ruining an obscure thing and making it popular is such a hipster thing.

Offline jamster

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:58:06 »

My mistake! It was someone else who was on about the incorrect use of terms.

But "trousers"? Now you're just making up words..!

Ha, try talking about your "pants" in the UK and people will give you weird looks. And in Australia, people wear their "thongs" on the outside... and on their feet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:06:10 »
And in Australia, people wear their "thongs" on the outside... and on their feet.

Thongs were rubber sandals (aka "flip flops") in the US until the 1980s.

But then stiff competition ensued.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Altis

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:06:38 »

^^^

And this thread still cracks me up.  Complaining about hipsters coming in and ruining an obscure thing and making it popular is such a hipster thing.

Haven't really noticed anyone complain about it. It's simply a discussion of how things would change.

Things could change for the better, such as better availability and more/cheaper options, and some things could change for the worse, such as higher prices and lower availability for vintage keyboards.

It's just a place to think out loud about it. :cool:

Offline mecano

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:29:26 »
And in Australia, people wear their "thongs" on the outside... and on their feet.

Thongs were rubber sandals (aka "flip flops") in the US until the 1980s.

But then stiff competition ensued.

Back to technical stuff I see!
Here as well, tong (phonetics as in tongue) is used for claquettes (flip flops), so if you ask a girl if she wears tongs, she'll probably laugh at you.
We have espadrilles which are kinder to the feet.
Thongs are called strings (literally) or tanga for the brazilian thong.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:36:13 »
Channeling Jeff Foxworthy..

If you worry about hipster ruining mechanical keyboards....your probably a hipster.

i.e. If you love them, you love them, no conditions.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:49:11 »
OK so I need to put on my scarf and driving cap and my organic vegan sandals and take my 27" iMac and the biggest loudest keyboard I can find to Starbucks strapped to my fixie, take a few bad photos of it with a camera I don't know how to use from the 1940s and sit there drinking a flat white while I write awful ecopoetry.

...The 27" iMac at Starbucks thing is real. I actually saw this once. And it was years ago when they were still a couple inches thick. I still don't even.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 10:50:58 »
Starbucks have free wifi and nice hot chocolate, while it's not cheap it's a nice place to chillout and browse the web that isn't just being sat at home infront of my desk.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 15:16:43 »
Starbucks have free wifi and nice hot chocolate, while it's not cheap it's a nice place to chillout and browse the web that isn't just being sat at home infront of my desk.
let's hang out and be the most vaporwavy hipster ****s in the joint
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Will Hipsters Discover/Ruin/Improve Mechanical Keyboards?
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 15:24:12 »

good for you, Starbucks in Vietnam only give you a limited time of free wifi

but I still can be a hipster with a MBP 13 for an hour there
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 15:37:49 »
I always thought of hipsters being like they guys who nitpicks from sub-cultures and communities solely for their own facade and won't actually get involved with the community.

I mean, that's why so many people despise hipsters - because they imitate and belittle a lot of subcultures at the same time while not actually being a part of them.

If hipsters were to suddenly decide that keyboards would be the next 'cool' thing they'd probably just buy cm qck's and be done with it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:01:16 »

Vaporwave is so 2014 m8

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:08:39 »

Vaporwave is so 2014 m8
thats exactly why were hipsters
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 16:09:01 »

Vaporwave is so 2014 m8
Some might say it's vintage now.